Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SIMPATHY: sci-fi fantasy series  (Read 1187 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
SIMPATHY: sci-fi fantasy series
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:07:22 am »

There's a novel that's been brewing in my head for the better part of 20 years. Lately I've had the urge to get it out finally. This work of fiction is about a future Earth, where interplanetary travel is commonplace. Not to get too spoilery - but an anomaly is passing through the solar system, and the story concerns a group of people who are most closely affected by it. Chapter 1 below is a flashback/prologue. The rest of the book takes place years later. As of right now I'm in the "get all this crap out of my head" phase; no polishing or major rewrites have been done yet.

I'm concerned that maybe this is too early to put it out there... but I feel it's smarter to get all the input I can.

1.1 The End
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1.2 Matriarchs
1.3 Palisade
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:26:23 am by bucket »

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Re: SIMPATHY: sci-fi fantasy series
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 09:41:37 pm »

Due to the overwhelming response, I've decided to post chapter two. This chapter establishes a bit of history that frames the zeitgeist of the main story.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 03:24:06 am »

Okay, I'll take a shot at it. First, textwalls are pretty intimidating, and doubly so when they're not broken up by dialog of any kind. Looking through both posts they look like huge infodumps, so they need to be broken up somehow or trimmed way down. Onward to the first post:

First paragraph:

I have no idea where we are, who the girl is what happened, or what she's doing. I'm guessing it's somewhere in space from the red lights and rushing air? It's also very wordy and restates the same ideas multiple times in purple prose. You could make it less intimidating by trimming out most of the dscription and making each word count.

The second paragraph jump back is really jarring, as is the transmission interlude. It's tough to find something to hold on to to get emotionally into the story. I also find her philosophical musings on death and asphyxiation way too complicated for a kid that young. I also think her direct thoughts detract from the pacing and distract from the story, so they can go.

HOWEVER... the pre-murder euphoria sequence is fantastic and I hope on edit you make it even more stream-of-consciousness and she gets killed or soul-stolen or whatever.

Also, holy crap what's the heaven blob alien torso thing?

Stepdad at the end is pretty brutal, but the way you isolate the last sentence to drive the point home is golden. I must know more.

If I had to pick out two things that need work: your over-reliance on descriptors and passive voice. An awesome verb is worth much more than a decent adverb and a verb that's "close enough", and generally describing what a scene is like without the characters interacting with it is a little slow to read. Have them go poke at stuff.

That said, I'm definitely interested and will be back to read the second part tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:37:04 am by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:37 am »

Hey, thanks for making the effort. I know my writing can be dense. A short story, this is not. The tiny spoiler text probably doesn't help. I have other people proofreading as well - so I'm still trying to find that balance between word diarrhea and being too sesquipedalian. It seems I also have trouble balancing between dialogue and descriptive paragraphs. Other than that... I understand that the prologue kind of dumps you in an unfamiliar setting, and there may be a few things I can do to better establish the setting, but for the most part the mystery is intentional. Also, why does my indentation get screwed up when I paste here??

Anyway... this is the third chapter, where we finally get to meet some major characters.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:26:53 am by bucket »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:02:27 am »

Oh... sorry about that. I had forgotten about this one when I got deep into planning my nanowrimo novel this year. I will get back to it before Nov 1, I promise.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:34:46 am »

Hey! it's still before November 1 for me!

So... after reading this far into the story, I'm pretty confused about everything going on. The point of view has changed from the girl to her dad to the TV narrator to a family to a soldier to Morgan to Barclay... back to Morgan.

I don't know what I'm reading about, or what of it is important, more important than the rest... so I'm assuming it's ALL important and having a hard time keeping anything straight for a couple reasons: 1) the TV show is a giant, impersonal infodump covering events I am unfamiliar with. I don't have any personal connection to the events through a particular character, so I don't know if the show is accurate or propaganda, who wrote it, or what I should be taking from it. 2) I have no-one to latch onto to enter the story in Chapter 2. There's two characters that sounds very much alike feeding me information I don't have context for. Overall, I'm not a big fan of Ch. 2. If this information is directly relevant to the story, I'd much rather hear about it through present-time characters and action.

Chapter 3 is much more accessible, to the point that I'd suggest moving it to Ch. 2 and moving the documentary to an interlude later in the story, or delivering the information in it in more directly character-related ways. The biggest complaint I have about it is the complete lack of any physical description for any of the characters. The action tags spread around are great, but I have no idea what Morgan, Ashlyn, Barclay, the doctor looks like. I just... kinda threw in some generic people in my head for the scene but I'd like more concrete detail.

Also, Morgan is far from as stoic as she likes to think, so I like her as an unreliable narrator, and the fact that she gets under Barclay's skin so easily. I'm curious what anxiety attacks she's having that she's able to spontaneously fight off like she did. In short, as a character I can emotionally identify with her and feel like she finally gives me somewhere to enter the story.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:23:30 am »

I wasn't keen on cutting Ch2, as there's so much history to be established, but I think maybe I can sprinkle it into the story without sacrificing too much of that. It should work as a supplemental device that pops up occasionally, so... the standalone chapter should probably go. I tend to rely heavily on visualizing concepts, so I find myself coming up with things that would maybe work better in a graphic novel or TV show than a book. That said... I enjoy stories that I can put myself into, so I hesitate to describe a character's physical appearance unless it's relevant to what's happening.

And here comes chapter 4... I mean, 3.