Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 193065 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #705 on: March 23, 2015, 09:45:25 pm »

I think that the ambiguity of the alignments would be a good theme to build a campaign around; and the idea that they are created by belief and thus inconsistent.

EDIT:
Perhaps there could be a prestige class or feat tree allowing characters to become enlightened as to the constructed nature of alignments and thus be able to first ignore them and later to be treated as whatever alignment would be most beneficial to them at the time.

EDIT:
Verily! So much for all that!
A component of that first bit should be part of any good campaign anyways. But it's definitely an interesting idea, to directly tackle alignment (and the fact that things like Lawful and Evil are tangible realities rather than philosophical distinctions) as a construct of belief; a person from one culture could ping a person as Chaotic Evil where another would read them as Neutral Good purely because of differences in upbringing and social norms. Fantasy is almost always more interesting when it carries a good helping of reality in its guts.

Imagine that, a campaign where you could draw a line on a map where something is treated as "Evil" or "Good" in the sense of the metaphysics of the game purely based on where they are.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 24, 2015, 06:45:19 am »

Yeah, for a real life example, take cannibalism. Pretty much universally reviled and shunned in modern day times, yet among certain cultures and religious beliefs in the past it was considered normal and acceptable behavior.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 24, 2015, 07:15:49 pm »

Those of you into conventions and stuff, one of the largest gaming conventions may not be held in my city any more if our imbecile of a governor gets his way.

Many sads were had.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 24, 2015, 10:27:12 pm »

Hey, maybe they'll move it down here to Louisville. Oh, wait.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 26, 2015, 06:09:02 am »

I think that the ambiguity of the alignments would be a good theme to build a campaign around; and the idea that they are created by belief and thus inconsistent.

EDIT:
Perhaps there could be a prestige class or feat tree allowing characters to become enlightened as to the constructed nature of alignments and thus be able to first ignore them and later to be treated as whatever alignment would be most beneficial to them at the time.

EDIT:
Verily! So much for all that!
A component of that first bit should be part of any good campaign anyways. But it's definitely an interesting idea, to directly tackle alignment (and the fact that things like Lawful and Evil are tangible realities rather than philosophical distinctions) as a construct of belief; a person from one culture could ping a person as Chaotic Evil where another would read them as Neutral Good purely because of differences in upbringing and social norms. Fantasy is almost always more interesting when it carries a good helping of reality in its guts.

Imagine that, a campaign where you could draw a line on a map where something is treated as "Evil" or "Good" in the sense of the metaphysics of the game purely based on where they are.

I was thinking a little bit less pronounced than that. More along the lines of members of the Bleak Cabal being able to ignore alignment or members of the Mind[s Eye or Sign of One being able to mimic it.

EDIT:
or initiates in certain less reputable mysteries of the Greek panthe0n
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:16:56 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 26, 2015, 06:21:40 am »

Cool stuff.

Once again forgotten how to resize these.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:57:01 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 26, 2015, 04:18:03 pm »

That finished Tempestus looks awesome, keep up the work! And is that snow on the raptor bases? Nice touch. Cool stuff indeed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 26, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »

All the images are broken to me :C
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 27, 2015, 01:41:37 am »

Darn, sorry Scriver. They're through tinypic (puush is broken), so maybe if you've got that blocked or sommat?

Also cheers DF, I drink your praise like kool aid.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: grisha5
« Reply #714 on: April 01, 2015, 08:58:48 am »

grisha5

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #715 on: April 01, 2015, 09:35:48 am »

grisha5 live in thred

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 01, 2015, 09:45:26 am »

Ok, according to this interview, they've already started doing some playtesting for the next version of D&D. They're naming it D&D Tomorrow (we can just call it 6th edition I suppose), and it will feature a new system of buffs that will be based on the concept of Freemium (you can spend money on the WotC score and get special cards that you then show to your DM for additional powers). They've already planned several expansions, a.k.a. Dungeon Lore Contributions (DLC).

Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson answer questions about the new D&D

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 01, 2015, 09:46:58 am »

Oh, I see. You're a tricky one...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:49:01 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 01, 2015, 09:48:47 am »

You didn't notice the thread author?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #719 on: April 01, 2015, 09:51:34 am »

Ok, according to this interview, they've already started doing some playtesting for the next version of D&D. They're naming it D&D Tomorrow (we can just call it 6th edition I suppose), and it will feature a new system of buffs that will be based on the concept of Freemium (you can spend money on the WotC score and get special cards that you then show to your DM for additional powers). They've already planned several expansions, a.k.a. Dungeon Lore Contributions (DLC).

Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson answer questions about the new D&D

Damn, didn't expect WotC to cave like that. Seems pretty impractical, too. Oh well. Yes, I know it's a joke.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 131