Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anti-Fun world gen [40.19]  (Read 6378 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anti-Fun world gen [40.19]
« on: December 07, 2014, 09:01:27 am »

I'm now generating my 4th world for 40.19. Whereever i look, silver ores, more silver ores. copper AND silver ores. Some gold ore, hooray.

Wheres the IRON? Where's the COAL? I've embarked on white shallow metal or flux stone layers every time, the sites didn't even HAVE a sedimentary layer, so that colorcode functionality is broken or removed i guess.
So i went to look over the world with dfhack instead of embarking and having fun like i used to in old versions. There's tiny islands of coal+magnetite sites in vast regions. Oh, and the aquifer sites. Lots of those fill my criteria, but WTF IS WRONG WITH THEM.

These aquifers aren't your good old pierce and gain stone buddies anymore. Instead they're fucking 15z lvls deep. That's not challenging, that's just tedious and boring. AND IT DOESNT EVEN HELP. The non-silver veins are all at the exact same z-lvl range that the aquifer is at. GG.

Can we petition toady to have DF be a little more fun again and a lot less work?
How's a new player ever supposed to like the game in this state? It was bad enough before, now they can't even do anything properly dwarven after figuring out how not to starve.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:06:56 am by Lord Snow »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Fun world gen [40.19]
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:52:38 am »

are you using custom world gen and changing the volcanic/sedimentary values ?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:10:10 am »

The balance is definitely off. Gold and silver shouldn't be more common than iron. IRL iron is pretty much everywhere in some form or another.

In the last DF Talk Toady mentioned that aquifers were kind of broken. What's funny is he even said that he had no idea how people were able to penetrate them. In any case they're easy enough to mod out if you don't want to deal with them.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:14:26 am »

I got plenty of iron in the last two or three worlds I generated. I think the OP just had a run of bad luck.

The trick is to look for shallow metals and deep metals. The plural is important.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:18:47 am »

The balance is definitely off. Gold and silver shouldn't be more common than iron. IRL iron is pretty much everywhere in some form or another.

In the last DF Talk Toady mentioned that aquifers were kind of broken. What's funny is he even said that he had no idea how people were able to penetrate them. In any case they're easy enough to mod out if you don't want to deal with them.
That is great.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:56:53 am »

My world is filled with Elven forest retreats and dwarven mountain halls.
I didn't recall I change the sites number to that high level.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:03:14 am »

My world is filled with Elven forest retreats and dwarven mountain halls.
I didn't recall I change the sites number to that high level.

probably left the world to run as it is for a long time. I also find goblins are the worst of the races at defending themselves and seem to be less likely to expand. If you're year is anywhere over 100, there's probably you're problem.
If you want more goblins after 100 years, try increasing the evil.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 11:13:49 am »

Here's some tip to help you find iron:
- Many a time there's iron but you don't find it because you're not looking for it enough. Try mining exploratory tunnels something ljke 3 or 4 Z-levels below the surface. If you can't find it after that it's probably not there.
- Don't go searching for iron below the caverns. It's practically never below 20 Z-levels below the surface. The same applies for bitcoal and lignite.
- Flux stone, however, is very often found in large chunks of marble at and below the cavern level. It's rarily above the caverns.
- Despite it saying "shallow metals" and "deep metals" there's not always iron, although there is almost always is.
- "Shallow metal" and "shallow metals" are NOT interchangable, unlike many players think. Make sure not to confuse them. This is about the plural if you did not notice it :P
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 11:20:42 am »

These threads seem to be popping up more and more. General complaints about this feature or that bug.

Considering the great success I have had in finding fortress embarks on the basic worldgen settings (I use the second highest mineral scarcity option) your complaints seem awfully misplaced. If you are having trouble finding proper embarks, ask in the worldgen cookbook thread or simply take a few more minutes to search for that perfect location.

Finding an embark is no easy task and takes some skill - parsing through the various menus and regions is convoluted in the current state. However, it is still rather easy to find an embark with everything - coal, iron, flux, most every metal, and no aquifer.

Find some patience, use the search function to look for multiple metals both shallow and deep, and you will soon have your reward.

And please for the love of god don't ask for a petition. Nothing is more silly than your own personal issues being falsely presented as a global problem that everyone experiences. I don't mean to dismiss the possibility that bugs could exist regarding metal placement during worldgen, but more often than not those issues are noted in the few weeks after a new release and threads like these serve to mark those who don't use the forum search function.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 11:39:37 am »

I've had a hard time finding Iron without bringing scarcity down to joke levels.

I can't speak to aquifers because I play without them but I always sort of assumed the fact you could ever dig through aquifers was more of a glitch/bug/exploit than anything else. An aquifer isn't damp rocks it's basically an underground ocean. 

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 11:55:43 am »

I've had troubles too recently.  I've had to tweak the settings a lot to get a halfway-decent amount of savagery, and even then it's never quite enough.  Then again I'm playing with invaders on now, so I always have to gen a world that has at least one goblin-free continent if I don't want to deal with them in that playthrough.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »

These threads seem to be popping up more and more. General complaints about this feature or that bug.

Considering the great success I have had in finding fortress embarks on the basic worldgen settings (I use the second highest mineral scarcity option) your complaints seem awfully misplaced. If you are having trouble finding proper embarks, ask in the worldgen cookbook thread or simply take a few more minutes to search for that perfect location.

Finding an embark is no easy task and takes some skill - parsing through the various menus and regions is convoluted in the current state. However, it is still rather easy to find an embark with everything - coal, iron, flux, most every metal, and no aquifer.

Find some patience, use the search function to look for multiple metals both shallow and deep, and you will soon have your reward.

And please for the love of god don't ask for a petition. Nothing is more silly than your own personal issues being falsely presented as a global problem that everyone experiences. I don't mean to dismiss the possibility that bugs could exist regarding metal placement during worldgen, but more often than not those issues are noted in the few weeks after a new release and threads like these serve to mark those who don't use the forum search function.
Sorry, it's my personal problem that color coded layers do no longer exist and it's impossible to know what embark i'm getting into without downloading dfhack?

I've embarked more than 10 times on multiple shallow metal, multiple deep metal and flux stone locations. i'm not mentally challenged, i can use the search function. There was nothing there, i wasted probably 10 real hours stripsearching the sites in puzzlement.
Then i used dfhack to check the search results tile by tile and it just confirms that there's 50k silver in every 4x4 embark and no iron. Sure, there's about 4 little clusters on the map that have magnetite and coal. Do you have any idea how low the chance is to accidently embark on one of those without prospecting search results? Mineral scarcity doesn't change this, it doesn't magically make coal and magnetite appear in layers where it can't spawn.
To influence that, there would need to be an option for more sedimentary layers, and to FIND those without mods, the color coded layers on the embark screen need to come.

Reliance on mods and hacks to be playable is elitist crap that keeps new players (and new donators) locked out.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:05:37 pm by Lord Snow »

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 12:06:03 pm »

I can't speak to aquifers because I play without them but I always sort of assumed the fact you could ever dig through aquifers was more of a glitch/bug/exploit than anything else. An aquifer isn't damp rocks it's basically an underground ocean.
Well, it's not an exploit with pumps. You just need to be persistent, patient and bring some extra stone on embark. I tried it with a shallow aquifer (3 layers) to see how it is but didn't enjoy it with all the job cancellations. Unsuspending the same piece of wall 20 times gets old really fast. I don't think I'd tackle more than 3 layers.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 12:17:52 pm »

I also find goblins are the worst of the races at defending themselves and seem to be less likely to expand.
In the Species War community game the goblins have expanded from 5 sites to 23 sites in about two years.
()==[:::::::::::::>

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »

I think the mineral distribution is the same as ever.
Pages: [1] 2