Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Bronzepalace", a dwarven hamlet  (Read 5325 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
"Bronzepalace", a dwarven hamlet
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:33 pm »

I suspended my 40.13 fortress and downloaded 40.19. I started my first game on a 2x2 map.

My goal is to build a village as small as possible, without mining stones and ores(I can still import from the mountainhome).

Code: [Select]
[POPULATION_CAP:7]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:150]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

The map is a forest with a small river. There is an evil biome which should provide some fun. I didn't notice it until I saw a "purple tree", then murk clouds. I was lucky because I killed some wild animals but none of them died in that area.

The 2x2 map looks like this:

embark good
evil good

Because I don't want to mine any stones, I used a U-shaped stairwell and a hatch to keep bad fun creatures out. I also walled off my pasture to keep birds out of view.

The liaison has already come, so should I get a lot of migrants next year? I can handle a handful, but a dozen may cause problems.

Current screenshots

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Updates:

Early spring, 123

I bought a copper bar and a microcline stone from the merchants from mountainhome. I set up furnaces and a forge and produced three mechanisms (two copper, one microcline from the manson). I then use them to build a well and two cage traps. Guess I won't need an atomsmasher so soon. Anyway, it needs 3 mechanisms to function.

The elven caravan didn't bring many goods. So I bought some food, cages, buckets, chests and clothes from them.

Summer, 123

A human caravan came. I bought a brimstone and made a quern from it so I could made dye and flour.

Autumn, 123

The outpost liaison came with the caravan. I requested more metal bars and stones and bought as many goods as possible.

Winter, 123

My cage traps caught some animals.
I expanded my ground level territory to pasture more livestocks. I also moved the refuse/corpse stockpiles under the roofs.

Spring, 124

Bought an aardvark from the elven caravan.

Summer-Autumn, 124

I focused mainly on animal training.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:26:01 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Re: "Bronzepalace", a dwarven hamlet
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »

[POPULATION_CAP:7]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:150]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

The liaison has already come, so should I get a lot of migrants next year? I can handle a handful, but a dozen may cause problems.

Presumably you'll get the first hardcoded migration wave, and that's it. I don't think you'll get any more because of your pop cap.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:48:50 pm »

...You might get rather a lot of migrant children and babies. I have had entire waves of child migrants recently. Plus Momuz, the Abandoned Baby. But that could be good, as they'll grow up to be in the right age range for the children your fort produces, and not be related to them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 11:15:10 pm »

You won't create much wealth in this way, so the first two waves are ging to be very small.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:31:37 am »

I want a well.

So I bought a copper bar, a lead bar, a bismuth bar and a bronze pick from the merchants...
But found I could only use the copper bar to build furnaces.

So,

1) Build a wood furnace and make some coke.
2) Destroy the wood furnace and build a smelter.
3) Melt a copper pick
4) Destroy the smelter and build a forge
5) Make a mechanism
6) Build a well...

The liaison mentioned some expedition group founded a place called Splatteredattics. Why do I feel that was like a title of a horror movie?

Wait, what?
I can build smelters out of charcoal  :o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:07:53 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:49 am »

A herd of gray langurs came.
Some of them fell from trees and died. What? Maybe that was some kind of bug.
I just hope they don't turn into zombies.

My cage trap didn't catch anything. Maybe I should build some more around one end of the bridge.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:59:04 am by utunnels »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:52 pm »

Build cage traps at the corners of the exterior walls of your hamlet. Guaranteed returns, since creatures pathing to something where the fort is between them and it will always hug the corner as closely as possible.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:37:32 pm »

Yeah, I think you are right. Now I placed cage traps on both sides of the bridge.

...RRRR...
...RRRRC..
..BBBBBB..
..BBBBBB..
...RRRRC..
...RRRR...
...RRRR...

R = river
B = bridge
C = cage

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:39:58 pm by utunnels »

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:04:13 pm »

Grey langurs are serious business. I've already lost a dwarf, and will probably lose two more (out of 20) to the most recent of their attacks. They must have been caught unawares; normally my untrained emergency starting 7 squad massacres them. R.i.p. our dear, departed fisherdwarf (who was literally 10 tiles from the gates catching pond turtles in a murky pool.)

I can confirm the corner traps work. I got me some live langur. Gonna get some sliced-up langur too, pretty soon XD

Traps at the center of crosshairs should work too, unless the little guys like climbing over stuff that much now.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 11:27:02 pm »

They attacked you? My gray langurs didn't attack me until provoked and they didn't attack in group.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:39:18 am »

Summer, 123

Playing as a tiny group has a downside: low priority jobs never get done in time.

I recruited all seven dorfs into military. But that made them less likely to do jobs. So I disbanded the squads.
Human caravan came, but the broker just refused to do the job. Actually he did all other kind of jobs instead of trading. I canceled his jobs and he just stood their doing nothing. After a while, he finally went to the trade depot.

The refuse dumping job still seemed broken. For a long time they ignored the job. Until I switched refuse order with/without gathering from outside several times.

A small wolf gang came from the south. My newly trained war dog managed to take one down. The traps I designed seemed to be in bad positions because they were near my entrance so animals just refused to come close. I'm considering building another bridge, a small bridge.

I bought a brimstone from the human and made a quern out of it.

The wolf corpse was rotten...blame the butcher.

My new cage trap.

Autumn, 123

The liaison came again with the caravan.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:00:42 am by utunnels »

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 08:33:46 pm »

Been following this one for interest. Keep us posted utunnels.

Also, thanks to all for the pointers on catching animals. I've been looking to get my feet wet regarding training and domesticating.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:41:38 pm »

Autumn, 123

The outpost liaison came again.
I requested more stones, steel and bronze bars.
Well this place is called bronzeplace, so maybe eventually I'll build an actual bronze palace. Although with such a small population I won't have a mayor, let alone a king.

I bought as many pets, bars and stones I requested last time as I could afford and dump all my extra lavish meals and crafts to the caravan. Then I forged a steel battle axe and gave it to my militia captain. Since it is unlikely anybody will attack me, he's just a melee hunter, literally.

It seems glass industry is not that impressive, especially when without a magma furnace. But maybe it is a good source for colorful building materials, since green stones are rare.

Now I have 3 cats (2 female and 1 male), 10 dogs (4 of them are war dogs), a pair of goose/gander, a female water buffalo cow, a female donkey, a male horse, and a pair of alpacas.
Well, horse and donkey don't produce mule in df world, right?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:58:51 pm by utunnels »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 08:40:54 am »

Winter

My cage traps caught a red panda sow and a kakapo. I'm now trying to tame them.
I enabled all jobs for all seven dorfs. It is a pain to decide which dorf should do what kind of jobs.

The militia captain was surrounded by puppies.

The militia captain dropped food in his room. They rotted and gave miasmas...
I had to use dfhack cleanowned to dump them.

Late winter

I caught a wombat. I also expanded the above ground walls.

I designed another entrance, it was also protected by a u-shape stairwell and a hatch. I built an atomsmasher over the original entrance, just in case.

I discovered there was a tile of grass on my floor. There was a hole on my ground level, so I patched it up with a log. Maybe cutting a tree leaves a hole when the soil beneath it is already mined out.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:01:29 am by utunnels »

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 09:40:36 am »

The militia captain dropped food in his room. They rotted and gave miasmas...
I had to use dfhack cleanowned to dump them.
That's why my militia never gets to carry food.
Just kids...
Pages: [1] 2 3