Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No more cheap games from Russia :(  (Read 2423 times)

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
No more cheap games from Russia :(
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:44:14 pm »

"Seems like Valve took the effect of AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting=No and applied it to everything. Every gift from these regions is now restricted, regardless of publisher settings:
  • Russia/CIS
  • Southeast Asia
  • South America
  • Turkey
This does not apply to already existing gifts - RU gifts in my inventory didn't get the red text and they can still be activated.

RIP in pepperonis, cheap games. You will be missed."

Source:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SteamGameSwap/comments/2pj8zj/psa_all_gifts_are_now_regionlocked_if_bought_in/

:'(

From dev forum:
"As most of you know, our developer tools suggest pricing based on market research and purchasing power parity. In the case of territories such as Russia, Brazil, and SE Asia, we suggested pricing that is lower than the direct USD conversion. This is based on our assessment of actual pricing of comparable products in that market. Recently Rubles have hit an all-time low which has been a concern of many game developers. We are still assessing the market to see if suggesting new prices in Russia is right for customers who live in that market. We do not think that pricing based on currency conversion only is the right way to approach the Russian market necessarily.

What we are doing immediately in response to the Ruble drop is limiting trading and gifting from Russia to prevent people from taking advantage of the situation. We have been applying a gifting and trading lock of this type on all newly created packages on Steam since mid-2014. Today we have propped a change that will affect all packages on Steam which will not allow them to be unpacked to an account, if gifted or traded from a lower priced region to a higher priced region. This change is not retroactive and only affects new purchases. It also will not affect customers in that region from gifting a copy to other people in that same region. All customers will have proper warning when they are purchasing a gift prior to checkout in those regions as well. We will continue to assess the situation and make changes if necessary in the future. If you have any questions please feel free to write us via the contact form via the Steamworks Development site - Documentation & Help -> Contact Steam Publishing."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:46:03 pm by nyulzsiraf »

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
Re: No more cheap games from Russia :(
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 03:30:46 pm »

Well there are still steam sales, humble bundles and the .. Black 'market' .. Or you can pay the truly horrible full price
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:58:28 pm »

The calamity! Now you're limited to buying cheap games elsewhere. Truly these are desperate times.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:05:16 pm »

Bummer for anyone wanting to get a cheap copy of Tetris or X-Blades.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:51 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:17:04 am by penguinofhonor »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »

I guess this is a bad thing if you're addicted to buying games on launch day.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 04:21:18 pm »

Thanks Putin

Its actually the western world in a way. It is pretty obvious the complete drop in gas prices is a way to destroy russian economy, as they rely a lot on gas for their income. It is a pretty good cold war tactic, but could have its own consequences. As, when a country finds economic collapse, they rely on war and military to fix their economy. Heck, it worked for the US...during war-time the US saw a HUGE boost in economy. During peace, economies tend to collapse.

Guess its human nature in a way.

In any case, there are still places to buy cheap games without dealing with shady key selling sites (though guess you can risk doing that.)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 05:34:45 pm »

Thanks Putin

Its actually the western world in a way. It is pretty obvious the complete drop in gas prices is a way to destroy russian economy, as they rely a lot on gas for their income. It is a pretty good cold war tactic, but could have its own consequences. As, when a country finds economic collapse, they rely on war and military to fix their economy. Heck, it worked for the US...during war-time the US saw a HUGE boost in economy. During peace, economies tend to collapse.

In any case, there are still places to buy cheap games without dealing with shady key selling sites (though guess you can risk doing that.)

Sort of, Putin wanted a big escalation to create patriotic press etc. the hash tag "Crimea is ours" #Крымнаш and all that were public signs that his strategy was working.

Obama's sanctions came in slow, gradually. They dispersed the energy Putin needed.  Then OPEC decided that it would screw US and Russia both: undercut all the high cost extractions in the US (fracking) and let the oil-reliant ruble go into free fall. A loss for Americans invested in  fracking, but a disaster for all Russians.

Ultimately Putin may not be able to afford war now, so he might have to peacefully surrender parts of Ukraine taken by the "rebels".  What happens to Crimea remains a mystery
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 06:50:06 pm »

Thanks Putin

Sort of, Putin wanted a big escalation to create patriotic press etc. the hash tag "Crimea is ours" #Крымнаш and all that were public signs that his strategy was working.

Obama's sanctions came in slow, gradually. They dispersed the energy Putin needed.  Then OPEC decided that it would screw US and Russia both: undercut all the high cost extractions in the US (fracking) and let the oil-reliant ruble go into free fall. A loss for Americans invested in  fracking, but a disaster for all Russians.

Ultimately Putin may not be able to afford war now, so he might have to peacefully surrender parts of Ukraine taken by the "rebels".  What happens to Crimea remains a mystery

Well, I don't want to go into a huge politic debate. Especially since this isn't even the forum for it to begin with. Nor even the topic which is about steam sales. But yeah, it could be he surrenders his "winnings". Likely though, as it has happened many times in history...and not to say its 100% to happen or anything. But when a country/kingdom or whatever sees collapse of some kind....war tends to be the way to solving it. There is always money to be put into war industry, and sees a "temporary" bubble in the economy. Heck, the US was (still is in some ways) almost entirely built on the war industry. I think the economy would have been far worse in the US if there was no war. Whether one agrees with the philosophy of war or not (I personally find that it would be better to work together and expand into space), but as of now, that be near impossible with too many religions (that hate space technology or any technology) and too many cultures).

The price of religious freedom and all the cultures is huge groups of people who hate each other.

With that said...it isn't entirely unlikely that Putin won't go desperate and go to war. It would be one strategy he "could" choose to create an economic bubble. It would probably be the most effective, since history as shown countries (like the US) go into an economic boom during wartime as I have said before. Of course, the losing country tends to be well...the losing country. So it definitely isn't a 100% strategy.

In the end, I don't think anyone REALLY wants to go to war. But, when you find your country undersiege (no matter the country) one does tend to want to defend it.

If more games did humans accurately, they'd (we) would actually be really barbaric. Other species in the game would hate them (us) and humans would conquer and destroy planets and shoot down any alien that come to their planets. And like I said. humans have too many cultures and religions so a human empire (whether fantasy/sci-fi) would be in little wars with each other all over the place, so not really a united empire at all. We have technology, but we haven't evolved as an actual species barely at all.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »

If more games did humans accurately, Earth would be an unimportant planet covered in the ruins of a dead civilization that killed themselves along with most other species on the planet.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 08:09:45 pm »

Of course, aliens would also suck in a cynical way, just in differing fashions.
So this unimportant planet is covered in the ruins of a dead civilization that killed themselves using trained space hamsters instead of a combination of climate change and nuclear warfare.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 07:18:45 am »

This is absurd. I live in South America, but I pay U.S. price. This should only apply to countries where the price is actually lower, not to the entire region.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:39:22 am »

This is absurd. I live in South America, but I pay U.S. price. This should only apply to countries where the price is actually lower, not to the entire region.
In that case, I guess it is. Unfortunately they kind of lumped in countries that have local currency and different prices (Brazil and... I guess just Brazil) and the rest of SA together. Probably because of Mercosul. Maybe they were planning to have more regional prices but ended up not going through with it?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 10:15:00 am »

What would be great is if Steam opened some kind of offices in South American countries and allowed us to pay with our own currency, even if at the same prices. I have to pay a 35% extra for paying in USD

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 10:34:31 am »

That would require a North America based company to meaningfully acknowledge South America exists, though... you may be asking too much >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2