Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 [1210] 1211 1212 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546937 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18135 on: May 19, 2016, 09:20:11 pm »

I think more important than amending or not amending the Constitution is the judicial philosophy that is dominant in its interpretation. We should be more concerned with holding ourselves to the ideals of the Constitution than it's literal word or the intention of the founders.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18136 on: May 19, 2016, 09:25:37 pm »

If I'm a tad confrontational what is Redking being right now?
Old and cranky? Everybody off my damn lawn!

And yeah, to what Frumple said -- you like to give one-line, snarky, dismissive answers to other people's points, which lend themselves to a whole lot of misinterpretation.
It's like Loud Whispers, but less inscrutable. LW's responses are often so caked with shitposting that I can't even be mad, but then at times he'll bust out a remarkably coherent and cogent post.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18137 on: May 19, 2016, 09:48:58 pm »

You come back into the thread to read things in my post that aren't there, the thing I have told you many times in the past pisses me off and that has caused no shortage of flaming.  Then you call me the asshole.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18138 on: May 19, 2016, 10:06:28 pm »

If there were literally any decent Hillary-sided debaters in this thread I'd say that it's mainiac's turn to sit the thread out given how long RedKing stayed away, but here we are, stuck between open warfare and a circlejerk.

Can you two please come to some kind of agreement to like, not start shit between the two of you? Could you maybe calm the fuck down, mainiac? (calming the fuck down meaning to please, word your posts as if you're not on the edge of your seat with a knife. You need some pillow words. It's not hard to put them in, and it keeps everyone from sticking knives in each other!)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18139 on: May 19, 2016, 10:08:09 pm »

Mainiac!  Stop talking back when Redking is a jerk!

I have an idea.  How about Redking apologizes for putting words in my mouth and then mocking me after doing so?  Gee, why is it nobody thought of that?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18140 on: May 19, 2016, 10:12:37 pm »

I have an idea.  How about Redking apologizes for putting words in my mouth and then mocking me after doing so?  Gee, why is it nobody thought of that?
Wow. I have absolutely no sympathy for you now! Congrats. Do you know why? You put words in my mouth! The very thing you're railing against! So this is me. I'm using some terse language. Stop being hostile to people who are trying to smooth things out. All I said was to try to be more calm. God.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18141 on: May 19, 2016, 10:15:08 pm »

God.

I'm sorry, I cannot help you with this.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18142 on: May 19, 2016, 10:15:47 pm »

Gentlemen, please, you can't fight in here! This is the shitposting room!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18143 on: May 19, 2016, 10:17:01 pm »

To be fair, almost all of your post was accusing mainiac of being the one responsible here.

No dude because when I talk back to Redking people are allowed to brigade on me.

See the brilliant thing is that people dont act like giant assholes all at once.  They act like little shits in ten different posts little by little.  That way there is nothing to report.  Best case scenario they can piss me off into something report worth.  Classic bully brigade behavior.

GOD FUCKING FORBID that I complain about Redking putting words in my mouth time after time and people let it go.  No way.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18144 on: May 19, 2016, 10:17:53 pm »

Wow. I have absolutely no sympathy for you now! Congrats. Do you know why? You put words in my mouth! The very thing you're railing against! So this is me. I'm using some terse language. Stop being hostile to people who are trying to smooth things out. All I said was to try to be more calm. God.

To be fair, almost all of your post was accusing mainiac of being the one responsible here.
Because RedKing has spent more than a month avoiding this topic because the two of them apparently can't share the same space, this is a public topic, and in the interests of fairness I thought maybe he should get a chance to speak his mind without there being a fucking fireworks show. That's the context.

But okay! RedKing, you stop being a jerk too!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18145 on: May 19, 2016, 10:20:53 pm »

Gee, why is it nobody thought of that?
If it makes you feel any better, I did, but it's almost always an absolutely terrible idea to tell and/or ask people to apologize, so I didn't actually say it.

That sort of communication direction pretty much always makes things worse, especially if the one taking it isn't in a position of notable authority over the ones involved, y'know?

... for what it's worth, I do apologize if I was contributing to what you mentioned just a bit above. Definitely wasn't the intention.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18146 on: May 19, 2016, 10:21:04 pm »

I thought maybe he should get a chance to speak his mind without there being a fucking fireworks show. That's the context.

He spoke his mind.  When he made a substantive point I gave a substantive answer.  When he put words in my mouth I complained.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18147 on: May 19, 2016, 10:22:09 pm »

Can EVERYBODY calm down please?

Thanks.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18148 on: May 19, 2016, 10:40:19 pm »

Here's the exchange mainiac is complaining about:
Isn't the incumbency victory rate like 90%? It's ludicrous
It's ludicrous that voters dont massively change their opinions every two years?  While the redistricting process has problems, this is a horrible metric of those problems.
Yeah, it's so much more believable that the population has self-sorted into preexisting political districts which have been drawn by legislators. I know *I* choose my home/apartment/tent-down-by-the-river based on it having an electoral representation that perfectly mirrors my own views.
Oh hey, nice to see you returning to intentionally misread something I said.  It's been too long man.
Then enlighten me as to what you were actually saying. Because it *looks* like you're handwaving the incumbency rate and saying that it's not the fault of redistricting/gerrymandering.

Bestow your wisdom on an unwashed prole like myself.
Here we can see mainiac giving a somewhat unsubstantial response, wherein he argues that reelection rates are a terrible metric of gerrymandering.

Redking makes a sarcastic response, effectively arguing that the incumbency victory rates are absurd and gerrymandering is a clear culprit.

mainiac takes offence, criticising Redking's reading comprehension.

Redking explains his interpretation of mainiac's argument, blaming mainiac for being unclear.

As far as I can see, neither of you are 100% at fault. Sarcasm isn't a bad thing but you need to avoid using it where it can be seen as confrontational.
You also need to stop taking issue with tone and instead address arguments. Bickering doesn't help anyone and frankly it's pretty annoying for people trying to talk politics and have other people getting all antsy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:55:54 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18149 on: May 19, 2016, 10:49:26 pm »

... well, RK also basically blamed maniac for RK misunderstanding what m was saying, with that last bit y'quoted. Not just an explanation.

S'one of the cases where the better word choice is to own the lack of understanding; not "it looks like you" but, "I'm reading it as" followed by "if I'm screwing that up, my bad, but could you expand on that?" Or along those lines.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 [1210] 1211 1212 ... 1342