Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 106

Author Topic: Paranormal 24 - Game over! Doppelganger Victory!  (Read 216807 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 24 - Day 1 always ruins vacations
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2015, 04:29:49 am »

I'm also down for an extend despite my professed hatred for them.

Post will come in a couple of hours probably after I sort and sift through the thread.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2015, 04:38:19 am »

Post will come in a couple of hours probably after I sort and sift through the thread.

Professional hatred?
Do you think they're a crutch or something?

Anyway, good luck with the sifting. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of useless clutter, though you have better eyes than I.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2015, 05:06:18 am »

Tiruin, that isn't maths, that's bullsh*t statistics. xD
>_>
<_<
I have committed a fallacy of really bad information. Note to self: Do not post when rushing.
Yeah, sorry bout that ._. I went against my principles there.
*Tiruin shudders
Backing up from the silly now.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2015, 06:10:07 am »

Extend. Here's looking forward to your elaboration, Flabort.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2015, 07:05:13 am »

I think I'm going to have to reread the thread at some point. The game has been a mess and I've already lost sight of what's going on.

flabort, allow me to generously offer you a question. What was your impression about the commonness and frequency of use of PMs in Paranormal games?

This is your first Paranormal, right?

The amount of interaction a player had with Flabort was my criteria here. Toaster had scumhunted him, while your vote and, moreso, TDS's vote seemed more on the bandwagon-y side. Bandwagoning isn't always scummy, but I had nothing else from you to go on at the time.

Do you have any criteria about quality or is quantity the only rubric?

I'd like to see people's reads so far

But why?

I get that talking about reads is generally considered positive in terms of discussion, but with only one big hullaballoo happening in the day so far, I don't expect that there's going to be a lot to tell about every single player since most of it will probably along the lines of 'said stuff about 4maskwolf/pisskop and flabort'.

Lean Jimbot.

I should change my username to Jimbo T Groovester.

Shakerag: He's around. Doesn't stick out much, but he's around. Ok, just read the latest posts. Hmm.

A stunning, insightful read.

Yeah, posting reads is completely useless right now.

DarkStar was the guy who is getting the most flack for jumping on the Flabort lynch train, so I'm going to go a step further and say you three are taking easy bait that's taking easy bait.

So basically you're saying that there's a lazy bandwagon of sorts on the lazy bandwagon.

Besides their weak stances against TheDarkStar do you have any other reasons to suspect 4maskwolf/pisskop, mastahcheese, and Persus13?

Does anyone have any compelling arguments for Pisskop's scumminess? From my side, he did keep (wrongly) saying that I'd known he was (supposedly) a reporter before it was revealed, but in that case I think it was just him genuinely missing a bit of information in the previous posts.

Surely if somebody had compelling arguments for pisskop's scumminess they would have been presented along with a vote. Why are you asking for them?

It seeeeems like you're asking for permission from experienced players to suspect him. I can tell you with certainty that you will get no such permission nor should you be asking for it.

Quote from: Jim
Why are so many people so bad this game.

Ugh.

Jim, you wound my soul. T_T

I wasn't talking about you with that comment. More 4maskwolf with ze gambitz and flabort with the vig roleclaim.

Professional hatred?
Do you think they're a crutch or something?

I just don't like them.

They're important and stuff but when a game is really long (not like this game) and a bunch of people haven't posted in days, and then they come back half an hour before day's end and say things like 'sorry gusy I know I haven't been posting I just need more time k thx bye' and then extend the day, I get annoyed and frustrated. When they then don't post during the duration of the extension, then I get really annoyed.

Basically I'm grumpy.

Anyway, good luck with the sifting. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of useless clutter, though you have better eyes than I.

What's with the well wishes?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2015, 07:12:26 am »

flabort, allow me to generously offer you a question. What was your impression about the commonness and frequency of use of PMs in Paranormal games?

I suppose I should add, what was your impression coming into the game and before it started?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:59 am »

I think I'm going to have to reread the thread at some point. The game has been a mess and I've already lost sight of what's going on.

Yes, it's my first Paranormal.

That said, I had assumed a level of PM frequency along the lines of two-to-three per person per 36 hours.

I suppose I should add, what was your impression coming into the game and before it started?
That being a Meph brand game, to expect some level of information- and role-based gaming that you don't often see in other games, but also to see a way higher level of scumhunting/day-based play, and also a lot more flavor; I figured the PMs filled the former role of information-based gaming.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 23, 2015, 09:27:23 am »

Pisskop:
I don't like removing a vote on somebody without a person to place a new vote on.  I've had this discussion with others on this forum and others, and here particularly I have faced heavy resistance.  I will remove it despite having no good place to put it atm.

As long as you're using your vote wisely, I don't see it as a problem.

I figured the response would be mixed.  Not everyone would believe 4mask or trust my style, but yes, I hope you will agree this is my town game.

I've never played with you, so an appeal to your meta carries zero weight.

Scripten:
Pisskop, every post you make causes me to want to vote you.

Then why not do it?

UXLZ:
Does anyone have any compelling arguments for Pisskop's scumminess? From my side, he did keep (wrongly) saying that I'd known he was (supposedly) a reporter before it was revealed, but in that case I think it was just him genuinely missing a bit of information in the previous posts.

This is your job.  Don't rely on others to do your hunting for you.

Mmm... If we extended it twice it would probably go into the weekend and passed it. That's bad for my personal situation, though, since I'll be heading back to school in a few days and it will probably cause my activity to plummet somewhat.

Game's going to last a month or so anyway.

TheDarkStar:
pfp want to get to more stable environment before responding in full.

But it was an accident at first, I didn't realize that those were the only PMs so far, and when 4mask completely blew up over it I decided to see just how far I could push him.

Also, I'm a human vigilante and was planning to poke a hole in his gambit anyways. Revealing it instead of killing him serves my purposes and allows me to target someone else.
Now I've revealed too. 4mask, what do you say to that?

Why did you want to kill him for his gambit? Also, why are you blaming 4mask for outing your role? Both of these are really scummy - killing scumhunters and pushing blame on others.

Hm?  Where does Flabort say 4mask is to blame for his role being out?

FlabortMiddle of my post here

As far as who I find Suspect, it's 4maskop/piswolf, Shakerag, TheDarkStar, Deathsword, ToonyMan, UXLZ, NQT, Jim Groovester, and Toaster, in that order. Yes, that's the majority of the players. No, I don't care to elaborate on why I feel that way right now, because the day would be over by the time I finished making this post.

It'd be nice to at least see reasons on the colorful players.

Cheeetar:
Who do you find the most suspicious at the moment? (This is so we have something to work off if you die and flip town.)

This raises my hackles a bit.  You're voting for him; why do I feel like you're already covering for yourself if he flips town?

Jim:  You've put in talking points about a lot of people, but there's no votes.  Who is your top scum suspect?

Basically I'm grumpy.

* Toaster gives Jim a big hug!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 23, 2015, 09:52:10 am »

Flabort:
Did I say "hint hint"?

You might as well have.  Your comment was as subtle as a freight train.
I didn't think anything would come of it, since I thought everyone would have received at least one by that point.
Why the hell did I claim? Because now there's two goddamn priority targets for the scum, IF 4mask is telling the truth and not lying like I suspect. How deep DOES his rabbit hole go, if he claims we've got no idea? Pretty damn deep, probably past scum hell and back. And now there's two targets for any protector/doctor role... ugh, should have checked if there was a possibility of those, but I guess there are bodyguards. Hopefully there's one of the guardian variety, let's see if they pick me or mask.

Is this your reasoning or you agreeing it was a bad idea?
Both. I reasoned that it would be a good idea because it would balance out, but it was a bad idea for those other reasons.
Excuse me, but if you're part of the "uninformed majority", you shouldn't have that attitude, you should know only as much as I do at this point.

Him having a different opinion than you doesn't make him scum.

Also, maybe you should take a minute to cool off before posting.
OK, good point. And good point.

As far as who I find Suspect, it's 4maskop/piswolf, Shakerag, TheDarkStar, Deathsword, ToonyMan, UXLZ, NQT, Jim Groovester, and Toaster, in that order. Yes, that's the majority of the players. No, I don't care to elaborate on why I feel that way right now, because the day would be over by the time I finished making this post.

It'd be nice to at least see reasons on the colorful players.
OK, I will try to get those tonight at least.
And a full reads over the weekend.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 23, 2015, 10:10:29 am »

Toony, why do you still have your weak vote on Cheese?  Last time you posted you didn't even mention him. It looked like you voted him for semi-serious reasons, so why not expand on the case?

Persus/TDS/Deus/Toast/Cheetar-- what is it about Flabort's play makes them specifically more likely to be scum than not? Or in other words, do you think his actions could be the calculated manoeuvres of an player with a scumteam backing? Or do you think they're a loose-cannon scum? Surely their vigilante claim is pretty easy to test?

Deathsword/Flabort, why are you voting Pisskop? Wolf's gambit might not have been as well executed as he'd like, but it does strike me as something a town-Wolf would have done. What did you hope to achieve in claiming vigilante.

Jim/Shakerag/Tiruin/Pisskop: this roleclaim drama is a golden gift to scum if both these participants are non-dopp. Do you think Flabort makes the best lynch today? If not then who?

UXLZ/Scripten/Cheese: can you name a player other than Pisskop and Flabort that has done something suspicious today?

(I've got outstanding responses to reply to, but really the game has zoomed further than all that in the last two days.)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 23, 2015, 10:23:37 am »

Whoa, do not approve of extensions at all.  I'm glad you guys suddenly decided that the same people dancing for a day isn't enough to get a confident lynch, I'm simply concerned that it was pulled like teeth.  Still, large games tend to encourage that early on.

I'll have to gather myself, but I approve of suspicion on Tooney.  While I was snooping around in Deathsword's old games I found Tooney much more active.  Same with Death.  With the exception of the scum game he replaced out of (citing IRL). Death has seemingly always been more active.

If I had to pick four:
Death, Tooney, Flabort, and the last slot would go to either Masta or Cheetar for lack of better people.

Flabort

Would you care at least highlighting why you suspect your top 4?  Its only fair to ask that you give us examples, since otherwise you're just throwing out names.  If you are scum (hint: you probably are) than you're bussing another scum.  If you are town than you're avoiding the game.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 23, 2015, 10:37:31 am »

The Whiteboard
pisskop: Deathsword, flabort
ToonyMan: notquitethere
flabort: Cheeetar, Deus Asmoth, Persus13, TheDarkStar, Toaster
mastahcheese: ToonyMan

Day has been Extended to ~5pm Pacific Monday. One extension remains.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 23, 2015, 10:44:08 am »

Jim:  You've put in talking points about a lot of people, but there's no votes.  Who is your top scum suspect?

Probably TheDarkStar for his crummy flabort vote. His reasons mostly echo what other people have said about flabort, but it all seems really weak to me. But it's 8 AM and I haven't slept and I'd like to look through the game once more and get everything straight before casting a vote.

Mostly I think flabort and 4maskwolf/pisskop are bad rather than scummy and it's unfortunate that so much of the game so far has been spent discussing them.

Based on flabort's response, it seems like he thought there would be a whirlwind of PMs flying around this game, and talking about it sideways like he did wouldn't seem out of the ordinary since he thought everybody would be doing the same, when in actuality that was not remotely the case. There are some nagging doubts about flabort now that I think about them, like why he wanted to poke a hole in 4maskwolf's gambit, but it's 8 AM (pushing 9 AM now) and I'll look at them closer later.

4maskwolf's gambit seems more like PWV bait than what he actually claimed it was for. If 4maskwolf did the gambit exactly as he said then it was bad and wouldn't have worked but I don't really see it being all that scummy. pisskop isn't doing his slot any favors but he seems newish so I don't know what to make of him.

I don't really have an opinion on anybody else.

Jim/Shakerag/Tiruin/Pisskop: this roleclaim drama is a golden gift to scum if both these participants are non-dopp. Do you think Flabort makes the best lynch today? If not then who?

Lynching a Day 1 vig claim seems like a bad idea since that certainly seems like a problem the dopps would want to solve for themselves. The vig kill is easy to verify and if flabort is an Exterminator (a vigilante is a good fake claim for an Exterminator) the dopps will want to kill him at some point. If he's a dopp vig then we've probably already lost.

Basically, flabort is as good as dead and I don't think he's scum anyway. There are better uses for the lynch than a Day 1 vig claim.

I'll have to gather myself, but I approve of suspicion on Tooney.

So vote him. Why didn't you?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2015, 10:54:47 am »

pisskop:
Whoa, do not approve of extensions at all.  I'm glad you guys suddenly decided that the same people dancing for a day isn't enough to get a confident lynch, I'm simply concerned that it was pulled like teeth.  Still, large games tend to encourage that early on.
It's been my experience that you can expect 99% of the time for D1 to be extended at least once, and there's a decently high chance for additional extensions. 

NQT:
On one hand I think I tend to look at goofy D1 "gambitz" as predominantly things townies do, but I realize that that is dangerous thinking as well.  It wouldn't surprise me all that much if pisskop/flabort ended up both being scum.  However, that's pretty much idle speculation at this point. 

The one thing that bothers me on a gut feeling level is that I -think- flabort isn't stupid enough to claim town vig D1.  Which makes me think that he's possibly a war vet or has sentry guns ... or is scum. 

Overall, presently, I'm indifferent to a flabort lynch.  I'm not sure on the best lynch target right now, or otherwise I'd be voting them. 

Tiruin:  What would you have done differently if you were in flabort's position?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 23, 2015, 12:35:32 pm »

Jim:

Do you have any criteria about quality or is quantity the only rubric?

Sure, but scumreading someone merely for hunting poorly is a dangerous slippery slope, especially early in the game. (That's not me saying that Toaster has been hunting poorly. His scumhunting has been solid.) That said, activity levels are important, but generally not alignment-indicative, while insight and breadth certainly are both.

Toaster:

Pisskop, every post you make causes me to want to vote you.
Then why not do it?

Because I had a moderate townread on the slot before he replaced in, his actions could potentially just be non-site-meta/newbie/rusty play, and I think that, if this is the case, the actual dopps would be capitalizing on the attention Pisskop and Flabort are getting and would be avoiding the spotlight, not drawing it onto themselves. Pisskop just may have that sort of scummy charisma that drives early game mislynches. Of course, he may also just be scum. *shrugs*

Toonyman: You haven't done a whole lot of actual scumhunting this game. You've been absent for RL stuff, and I understand that, but what posts you do have seem to state facts without drawing much in the way of conclusions. I would appreciate if you could give me a short summary of what you feel you've accomplished so far this game.

NQT: You seem to have some idea about associative tells that you're catching this game. I notice you have been suspecting Pisskop and Flabort of being on the same team, using the gambit to gain towncred through some means or another.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 106