Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military dorfs like to revisit certain sites  (Read 2180 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Military dorfs like to revisit certain sites
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:43:03 pm »

Occasionally I see soldiers wander to some places where they were ordered to do their usual jobs (like kill a honey badger).
A quick "v" check shows they have no active mission: soldier(no activity).

This may happen days after the previous event.

For example, I ordered a squad to kill the goblins. They finished the job in a second (real life time) and then went back to their barracks to spar. After a while(a couple of days in game I guess since all the corpses had been dumped), some of them decided to go out for a walk. They wandered to the place where the battle took place, stay for a few seconds then resumed their training sessions.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military dorfs like to revisit certain sites
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:45:17 pm »

That seems pretty odd.  Well, in dwarf standards anyways.  Now time to weaponize it.
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:47:16 pm »

I've seen this in 31.25: my legacy fort has a room with a glass forgotten beast that I use for crossbow training. I'll station a squad within shooting range, have them shoot for a while, then turn off the station order. They leave after exhausting their bolts, but later on, if they have nothing to do and have not been stationed anywhere else, they return to the chamber of their own volition and shoot at the FB some more. I picture it like soldiers or cops going to the shooting range for practice. The basic principle, as far as I can tell, is that military dwarves with nothing else to do may return to the last place where they were stationed and saw combat.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:11:54 pm »

Seen it in many previous versions, military will go to the last place you ordered them to go to on their off hours. I got in the habit of always ordering them home after an engagement.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:14:39 pm »

Seen it in many previous versions, military will go to the last place you ordered them to go to on their off hours. I got in the habit of always ordering them home after an engagement.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.
Don't want them to wander around in case I need to evacuate the outside area.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:15:35 pm »

It might be a pathing related problem not limited to military.

If you don't have any meeting place, a dwarf on break will go to where he tried to path to in his last job.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:39:26 am »

After a military encounter, I usually order all the military through the auxilliary baths, to clean them off a bit. Blood, floating eye ichor, and so on washes down the drain. I have noticed since that the military often seem to go and walk through the baths on their off time. I had figured till now that I was just noticing them more often, now I wonder if I've given them OCD.... I probably should check.

I'd not report this as a bug. It's definitely a useable feature.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 08:53:45 am »

Definitely a feature and a nice one.

I like to think my warriors are rather philosophical and go back to their previous battlefields to reflect about the past, about their duty, about violence, or something else.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:47:24 am »

Yeah, definitely a neat feature.

If you don't have any meeting place, a dwarf on break will go to where he tried to path to in his last job.

Yep, pretty sure I've noticed on break miners returning to places they've mined (sometimes very hazardous, especially in plumbing!) I didn't know that a meeting place stopped them from doing that. Does just a meeting zone count? A dining room that's not designated a meeting hall? Or a meeting hall itself? Because I feel like with a dining room, I've still had dwarven miners that have been on the job for a long time wandering about their workplaces instead of going to the dining room for their "no job" or "on break" time.

This might relate to how some ghosts haunt the places they visited in life. I don't doubt that the game keeps track of it, and that it's related to jobs.

Of course, it might vanish a little bit in the next update with the removal of generic breaks. Or maybe antisocial atheists will exclusively go to their rooms / recent work areas. That would be cool, crabby old dwarf hanging around his mason's workshop developing grudges against passing kids :P

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:53 pm »

Huh
This explains a bit..
Cool
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bearcoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Im not new to the forums i just forgot my Password
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 07:45:07 pm »

How to Weaponize this...
USE #1: Set up Presser plates on said site and have them Linked to Torture chamber/the place you keep your beasts for the arena (to keep them on there toes) ect. and it will be delivered at random times causing anything from the floor falling away to Spiketraps or anything else you can imagine.
USE #2: Set it up as an Auto feeding system for your dwarven day care!!!
"Click" 3....2....Oops Wrong Lever

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 01:25:38 pm »

Meeting halls did not stop this behavior for my military dwarf in 40.16
The fortress has at least 3 designated meeting areas: A dining room, and 2 statue gardens. I think the nobles' dining areas are also designated meeting areas.

I didn't bother to check if regretfully forgot that she was carrying a baby when the Danger Room station order came through.

Urist McBabysicle didn't last very long in there, and ~1 dwarven month later, I noticed Urist McEx-mom standing adjacent to the blood stain while off-duty.
After several tics she promptly decided to piss and moan attend a meeting with the mayor.

This door has since been locked.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.