Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: 25th Mech Squad - OOC Thread  (Read 24918 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: 25th Mech Squad - OOC Thread [SIGN-UPS]
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 01:03:25 am »

Definitely. The Hamkar was made mostly to introduce transformations and how they work. Future mechs will use them much more extensively.
tankmech confirmed

Also, ALL THE YURI SHIPPING. IT'S DELICIOUS

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:52 am »

oh fuck, you're in this

Calm down, you'll scare away the non-shippers.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 01:25:24 am »

Okay Smurf-kun. I still want my Yuri shipping though.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 09:16:25 am »

Jesus, four pages already. Is it too late to toss in a sheet?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 09:24:12 am »

Apparently not-the GM is taking up to a dozen players (God help us), and we've only got, eh 8 or 9.

Also, fyi, most of the pilots we have are female, there's a chance me and Culise are going to sell the GM on making the game world a matriarchal society. :P

Oh, my gosh.  I just tried this game, and they actually did this really subtly, down to referring to ships as "him" instead of "her."  That's actually rather clever. ^_^

I like how it's done. It's not just done for laughs. They take the subject respectfully.

Of course, I don't think all of our players will be that serious...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 09:33:07 am »

I'm makin' a guy
KARLIOVAN GUERILLAAAAA

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 09:49:50 am »

Also, fyi, most of the pilots we have are female, there's a chance me and Culise are going to sell the GM on making the game world a matriarchal society. :P

Actually we're at a 4:5 gender ratio right now, so it's not as skewed as it used to be. Though with that being said, if you can convince enough players to support the idea, I'll gladly make the world a matriarchal society. It sounds interesting as a detail in the setting, but if people are simply going to ignore it I don't see the point of having it in the background.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:34 am »

Yeah, granted. I doubt most people care one way or the other.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2015, 09:54:56 am »

I mean, it's obviously pretty liberal for the nineteen hundreds. It might make some interactions more interesting. And it would make it more amusing for me to do my normal flirty person character.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2015, 09:56:23 am »

hmm, we have two of every mech but the ishim-a
I feel compelled to make an Ishim-A character

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2015, 10:08:16 am »

I sure hope not:

Spoiler: Rumman Aulgotha (click to show/hide)

I don't have anything against the world being matriarchal per se, but I just had the mental image of a big, cigar-chomping macho lunatic who I had to put in the pilot's seat. The character concept works just as well as a female in a matriarchal world, though, but we'll see where we end up.

My math with the dates might be a bit wonky, but with this, he would've been around 26 during the War of the Bells, where Dwarmin's char was in her 20s.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:24:44 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 10:25:44 am »

I mean, it's obviously pretty liberal for the nineteen hundreds. It might make some interactions more interesting. And it would make it more amusing for me to do my normal flirty person character.

Yeah, tho it could just as easily be a more egalitarian society. This is taking place in some vague quasi-future, post-cataclysm.

I don't have anything against the world being matriarchal per se, but I just had the mental image of a big, cigar-chomping macho lunatic who I had to put in the pilot's seat. The character concept works just as well as a female in a matriarchal world, though, but we'll see where we end up.

My math with the dates might be a bit wonky, but with this, he would've been around 26 during the War of the Bells, where Dwarmin's char was in her 20s.

Yeah, see, there's no problem with playing that-just in a gender switched world, it's not considered 'masculine' to be a macho cigar chomping lunatic. You'd have to deal with that, in a society that more or less expects you to be a passive and pleasant fellow, probably baking cookies and raising children. A fair enough inversion, ey? Note, this isn't actually going to be a big effect on the game-it will only matter, if it matters to your character.

Also, I left the ages vague for a reason, 'in her 20's' and 'twenty-odd' years later, etc-I try to avoid round numbers when building my metaphorical sandcastles on another persons metaphorical beach. Should be no problems if the GM wants to make a simple timeline, then.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 10:32:12 am »

Yeah, see, there's no problem with playing that-just in a gender switched world, it's not considered 'masculine' to be a macho cigar chomping lunatic. You'd have to deal with that, in a society that more or less expects you to be a passive and pleasant fellow, probably baking cookies and raising children. A fair enough inversion, ey? Note, this isn't actually going to be a big effect on the game-it will only matter, if it matters to your character.

Also, I left th ages vague for a reason, 'in her 20's' and 'twenty-odd' years later, etc-I try to avoid round numbers when making building my metaphorical sandcastles on another persons metaphorical beach. Should be no problems if the GM wants to make a simple timeline, then.

Nah, that's why I specified 'female in a matriarchal world'. I feel the character concept would be altered if the character's personality was contrary to the setting's gender roles - his manner certainly wouldn't have won him friends and promotions if he was expected to act passive and pleasant. As such, he'd have to be a she if we played in a matriarchal world for the backstory to make sense. If he was still a he, he'd be moulded by a totally different experience and be a different person. If that makes sense.

(It's probably also a bit simplistic to expect gender roles to be just 1:1 reversed in a matriarchal world - we should put more thought into it if we want to go that way.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 10:52:03 am »

Humm, that is right.

Still, there's no shortage of women who have acted contrary to the role society expected of them and managed a great deal of success. Even if they had to go against the flow. It would change your character, I admit-instead of being the 'good ol' boy' with every advantage in a society dominated by gender stereotypes, you'd be the underdog in a society that views you as the odd one out.

Does that change the fact he's a friendly person, or that he's easily amused? It shouldn't. The core of his character won't change-only the perception the world, and in turn his reactions to it.

That's my take, anyway. It would probably be much easier just for the GM to say our society is super-egalitarian (or just basically male dominated, wouldn't that be funny? :P), but the idea-germ in my head wants more allusions to a alternate WW1-type of world.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2015, 11:04:41 am »

It is interesting discussion, though maybe we're taking up space that could be used for other stuff. Also, maybe not relevant, but if I think about it, of the people I know, Rumman is a closest to a female friend of mine personality etc. wise.

Super-egalitarian is probably the best choice to satisfy everyone - maybe not everyone wants to actually tackle this stuff in a serious way.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25