Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 826683 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6045 on: February 23, 2019, 01:49:13 pm »

Ignoring on purpose whole communities like bay12, reddit, cdda own board/discord/whatever because of some reason and deciding to ignore on purpose even documented arguments on the developping platform (github) when inviting to discuss a feature is a really great way to alienate a game user base from its developers.

But whatever floats someone's boat i guess...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:50:46 pm by Robsoie »

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: February 23, 2019, 07:40:18 pm »

He posted here, like, once a month on average, so this is really just him finally getting around to actually saying it instead of waffling around like he'd been doing every time prior.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: February 23, 2019, 07:57:05 pm »

I’m so glad that https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/24052 got stuck in PR hell, as the idea of a depleting max stanima bar in additon to the rest of the fatiuge mechanics, would be a crazy amount of tediousness and punish the player for going out and doing stuff.

I donfind the quote from Kevin:
Totally fine from a CoC point of view, its your opinion. Having said that, it's not an opinion shared by the project, "avoiding player base complaints" is not a reason to add or not add a feature.
Moderatly disturbing.

How about the quote from this other deluded jerkoff?

Maximum realism, and complexity is the main virtue of this game, and the main reason why many people play and enjoy it.

Fucking hell, no it isn't.

Hiya n9103,  thanks for trying to stem the tide of negativity,  but it seems I'm simply no longer welcome here.

Dda development is barreling along as fast or faster than it ever has before, and there continues to be no end in sight, but bay12forums will no longer have anything to do with it.

This thread is hostile to you predominately because of a) your outright hostile attitude towards everyone who doesn't agree with the awful direction you're trying to push DDA in, and b) your inability to just ban anyone you don't like here.

Turns out that being a tin-pot dictator makes people like you less in places where you can't silence dissent. Shocking.

Not that you really gave a shit about what any of us thought -- you pretty much only posted here to whine at people complaining about your shitty changes to the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: February 23, 2019, 08:24:35 pm »

I picked quotes for the purpose of indicating that they didn't get along with every single member well and sometimes responded to insults, sarcasm, and rude behavior with insults, sarcasm, and rude behavior of their own.

Also, I'd like to note (and you can confirm this by simply checking the "Show Posts" list on azmodean's profile) that azmodean hasn't been terribly active on Bay12 in general - as they put it, "when I (azmodean) have something meaningful to say".

They seem fairly active on this thread (didn't dig deep enough to see if they posted on any other threads) until about 2015, and then returned in 2017. The attacks on the direction the game was going (and the resulting responses to these attacks) didn't really happen until sometime in 2018, during which azmodean resumed posting.

A number of posts they've made pretty much outright state they don't think this board is going to have much of a meaningful impact on the project. Which I suppose could fall under "rude behavior" since it could be interpreted as saying "you don't matter to me".

I speak about them in the past tense because I'm not even sure this person is even reading this at all. At any rate, they haven't responded (unless they have and I missed it because I do miss things like that from time to time).

Also, I doubt insulting azmodean will make them return. Hell, it's probably a part of why they decided to leave in the first place.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: February 23, 2019, 08:54:30 pm »

So, uh, I went on the Discord (they have a Discord, yeah), and there's this as far as the game's Design Outline goes.

Here's an older one, too, if you want to read through it.

Anyway, here's a set of things from the Discord, in no particular order, some of which may be taken out of context or said sarcastically.

Link to the Discord server is here. I probably wouldn't say the things that are being said here, though, seeing as how that might be grounds for a ban.

Incidentially, there's a link to Whales Cataclysm (an old version that hasn't been updated since 2013) here if anyone is interested in doing anything with it (which some people have said something along the lines of...)

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: February 23, 2019, 08:57:35 pm »

Just saying, you seem like you've come in here a little late and are completely out of touch with why the current mood is a thing.
thincake

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: February 23, 2019, 09:03:37 pm »

I mean, "a little late" and "completely out of touch" describes me on a lot of things, but it's not as though that's stopped other people. Just look at this thread. Particularly some of the more recent posts. And the one that caused a bunch of people to respond, in particular.

But, I guess someone could explain it to me, if they're willing to go to the trouble.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: February 24, 2019, 07:44:51 am »

At least we're still welcome here. Or, at least, I am. Calling the developer a "tin-pot dictator" probably violates the rule of "be kind", though, so, Flying Dice, please make sure you're calm before you post on there.
I have no intention of posting with a linkable username anywhere he has mod authority.

And if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and bans contributors for disagreeing like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Also telling that people don't even remember that most of the original DDA project team came from B12. Shows how effectively kevin has co-opted it. I think the "dictator" label is fairly appropriate, between the rabid intolerance of dissent, retroactive group amnesia about people who used to be important, and slapping his name on a group effort. The tin-pot bit comes from it being centered around a decaying spinoff of a one-man roguelike based from a forum with some of the worst internal architecture design I've ever seen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: February 24, 2019, 08:36:49 am »

As far as I'm aware cataclysm started out on Bay12, if I remember right the original thread predates the whalesdev forums.

Also some somewhat relevant quotes from Whales.
Quote from: Whales
Realism is secondary to fun and appropriate difficulty.
Quote from: Whales
I have my suspicions that the Cataclysm forums are like 90% B12ers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: February 24, 2019, 09:00:36 am »

Wasn't there some talk a while back about how Whales was going to restart the project?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: February 24, 2019, 09:06:26 am »

AFAIK he was working on Cata2 which was supposed to be more story centric and I think even actual win conditions. But I haven't heard from that in years. Not that I followed it activly, but I would imagine the info would get to this thread somehow.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: February 24, 2019, 09:11:55 am »

There is a thread for Cataclysm 2, but from looking at the github linked in the thread Cataclysm 2 hasn't been worked on scene 2014, so I think the project is probably dead.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: February 24, 2019, 09:34:25 am »

Whales has, very sadly, disappeared from the internet and is uncontactable. It's very likely that he has no interest in restarting Cataclysm 2, as there was a fair bit of drama when he announced the sequel, and afterwards he just seemed to leave.

To be totally fair, he did spur on a lot of the drama through his attitude (only mildly, though), but his concerns and frustration were fully valid IMO.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:42:54 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: February 24, 2019, 01:04:07 pm »

*shrug* a lot of people complain about this Granade guy, and I have to agree that C:DDA is getting shittier as time goes by, but on the other hand (despite this being an open source game) none of the critics have gone on to create their own forks. AFAIK you wouldnt need to roll back to 2013; you could simply download the code as is and go whichever way you want. So I can see his point: as of now despite the polemics there is apparently nobody else with the support or the will to take the helm (which I find curious, as many of the more outspoken critics were involved in development earlier on), so given that it's his work and effort, he calls the shots. I can understand that and empathize to an extent, even if I don't agree with the way he's taking the project.

As far as I'm concerned it's a damn shame that I don't remember at which point I started disliking his addons  :P  I'm guessing around mid 2017 (I could possibly match it with forum data I guess). The last time I played I was doing so with a homebrew mod that allowed me an easier start so that I could have fun exploring the world. Presumably I could do that in the current version, even though it probably wouldn't help with the more tedious stuff in the later builds. On the other hand, IIRC there were several mods that made many of those tedious features strictly opt-in...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:06:44 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: February 24, 2019, 01:09:13 pm »

*shrug* a lot of people complain about this Granade guy, and I have to agree that C:DDA is getting shittier as time goes by, but on the other hand (despite this being an open source game) none of the critics have gone on to create their own forks. AFAIK you wouldnt need to roll back to 2013; you could simply download the code as is and go whichever way you want. So I can see his point: as of now despite the polemics there is apparently nobody else with the support or the will to take the helm (which I find curious, as many of the more outspoken critics were involved in development earlier on), so given that it's his work and effort, he calls the shots. I can understand that and empathize to an extent, even if I don't agree with the way he's taking the project.

As far as I'm concerned it's a damn shame that I don't remember at which point I started disliking his addons  :P  I'm guessing around mid 2017 (I could possibly match it with forum data I guess). The last time I played I was doing so with a homebrew mod that allowed me an easier start so that I could have fun exploring the world. Presumably I could do that in the current version, even though it probably wouldn't help with the more tedious stuff in the later builds. On the other hand, IIRC there were several mods that made many of those tedious features strictly opt-in...

Coolthulu made a fork.
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 451