Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New War - A Game of Post-Apocalyptic War  (Read 2743 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
New War - A Game of Post-Apocalyptic War
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:59:21 pm »

New War

War never changes. When the bomb dropped, human civilization was wiped out. More than 90% of the world's population was wiped out, and all the world's major cities and towns were dust. The survivors soon crawled out of the woodwork, building small settlements. These settlements were built around whatever supplies of clean water existed, and eked out a living. Soon, these survivors, hoping for power, a better life, or just bloodshed, began to clash. You're from one of these settlements, New Hope, and a small conflict just started between your settlement and another one, a few days travel away. It's been twenty years since the war, and now, you're preparing for another, new war.

You're standing in a large, wooden building, with five other recruits just like you, and a bearded, 40-something man, holding an assault rifle. He gestures towards one of the walls, where you see a few racks.

"Everyone, grab your gear. On that rack, we have hunting rifles and shotguns. Choose one and grab a box of ammo. Next to it, we have secondaries. Clubs, knives, hammers, whatever. Grab one, and stuff it in your belt. Finally, grab your uniforms, and put them on."

The uniform is a blue helmet, a blue t-shirt, and khaki pants. The guns look old, and beat up, but should probably work fine, and the melee weapons are pretty simple.

"Get your gear and line up outside. Come on!"

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

This is a post-apocalyptic game, taking place after the nuclear apocalypse. You play as foot soldiers in a new army, fighting a new war. If you guys succeed, it will expand from a poorly armed mob to a well-trained, fighting machine, and your town will expand to a new nation. Or you'll all die. Both are possible. This is an RTD, and I'll be taking six players to start.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: New War - A Game of Post-Apocalyptic War
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 02:25:50 pm »

Name: Frank Jackson
Backstory: He had been born only a few years before the war had started. He grew up in New Hope and got apprenticed to a simple blacksmith who would fix or touch up on damaged weapons and armor. Unfortunately, the beginnings of this war had started before he had finished it. Wanting to defend his home, he signed up.
Profession: Apprentice Blacksmith
Primary Weapon: Hunting Rifle
Secondary Weapon: One handed Hammer

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:28:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:20:38 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:31:34 pm »

They don't have swords. You're limited to hand tools, clubs, and knives, and that's about it. Also, it's unlikely that a mercenary would fight for this town, since it's so tiny and relatively poor.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:41:04 pm »

That's alright, Nando is rather desperate and will fight for anyone.

Nando chooses the closest thing to a sword he can find, probably a machete or knife. He tries to take more than one, but probably gets hit or yelled at until he puts them back.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 02:49:18 pm »

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:52:16 pm »

Name: John Banecroft
Backstory: Born before the War, he grew up in a small community that got overrun by one of the early warlords that arose in the post-war wasteland. He spent many years as a wandering lost soul, until he found New Hope. Now, he refuses to lose his home(and hope) a second time
Profession:Wanderer/Hunter
Primary Weapon:Hunting Rifle
Secondary Weapon:Hunting Knife
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 03:46:28 pm »

Name: Connroy Wode
Backstory: He was born before the great war that tore nations apart, grew up in a rather small town by the coast. As the tragic event happened he traveled the wasteland for years selling his skills as a mechanic to everybody whom needed them. He stumbled upon New Hope in a drunken stupor, trying to convince a group of people into buying his scraps.
Profession: Alcoholic Mechanic
Primary Weapon: Shotgun
Secondary Weapon: Iron Pipe

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 05:32:41 pm »

Name: Flynn Taylor
Backstory: Flynn likes to tell people that he was in the Army before the war. While technically correct, the truth is he was a REMF paper-pusher for the 25th Infantry in Hawaii. He was on leave with family when the war broke out, and has spent his years since trying to put his half-remembered basic training to use.
Profession: Soldier/Accountant
Primary Weapon: Rifle
Secondary Weapon: Knife
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 06:14:17 pm »

New Hope Militia Base

Four of the six crowded around the rifles, while Connroy and Nando both grabbed shotguns. Then, at the other rack, Frank grabbed a familiar tool, while John and Jon both found steel hunting knives, and the sergeant barked at Nando when he saw him trying to take another knife. The six men then line up outside the armory, and march off towards a shooting range. The sergeant separates the men into two groups, shotguns and rifles. The riflemen see glass bottles, sitting on posts, 20 feet away, while the shotgunners see paper targets, at the same distance. The sergeant shakes his head at Flynn, who's trying to remember which side of the rifle goes bang, and speaks.

"Rifles, you need to take down three bottles. Shotguns, you need to put three shells in the center of the target. Got it? Good! GO!"

Spoiler: Frank Jackson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nando Polo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jonathan Cross (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: John Banecroft (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Connroy Wode (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Flynn Taylor (click to show/hide)
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 06:35:09 pm »

Shoot them bottles.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 07:04:58 pm »

Try to hit the targets. Then throw my knife at a target for good measure.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:16:35 pm by NAV »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 07:11:35 pm »

Frank would follow after the group, once they reached the range he would look down awkwardly at his rifle. He had seen one before obviously, but he was a little ashamed to admit that this was his first time actually holding one. It looked simple enough. Sort of. He brings the rifle to bear on the glass bottles, putting the butt of the rifle awkwardly against his shoulder as he takes aim and fire.

Shoot at the bottles. Try not to shoot self.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »

Aim at the bottles and fire a single shot.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 09:37:23 pm »

Open fire on the bottles!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: [1] 2