Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3839 3840 [3841] 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6079209 times)

Acymetric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57600 on: August 26, 2024, 10:53:02 am »

I embarked on a volcano only to find...a second volcano underground in the second cavern. It's kind of cool, you can see a mountain peak on the surface over where it formed. They're side by side with maybe 10-15 tiles between them at the widest point. It seems like I should be able to do something cool or fun with this, but I can't figure out what. My original plan was to drain the volcano and build some kind of glass palace in the middle, then let the volcano refill but I'm not sure how to involve the second volcano. Suggestions welcome!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57601 on: August 26, 2024, 12:33:39 pm »

I embarked on a volcano only to find...a second volcano underground in the second cavern. It's kind of cool, you can see a mountain peak on the surface over where it formed. They're side by side with maybe 10-15 tiles between them at the widest point. It seems like I should be able to do something cool or fun with this, but I can't figure out what. My original plan was to drain the volcano and build some kind of glass palace in the middle, then let the volcano refill but I'm not sure how to involve the second volcano. Suggestions welcome!

Armok says,
you should probably carve an artificial third volcano and fill it with lava from the first two

Acymetric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57602 on: August 26, 2024, 03:25:49 pm »

Armok says,
you should probably carve an artificial third volcano and fill it with lava from the first two

Now that's an idea. I could also "complete" the underground volcano and bring it up to surface level, either filled by the first volcano or pumped up from the magma sea.

...And then I could still make a third volcano and fill it from the other two.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57603 on: August 26, 2024, 08:08:58 pm »

You could build fancy nobles quarters in the rims of those too before filling them.

You could drain the original surface level volcano and build around it's rim as well.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57604 on: August 26, 2024, 08:12:32 pm »

I think it would refill if he drained it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57605 on: August 26, 2024, 08:42:32 pm »

Yes, it would. You have to keep the drain open until the project is complete
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Acymetric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57606 on: August 27, 2024, 12:12:37 am »

Yes, it would. You have to keep the drain open until the project is complete
Yep, this was actually the original project I had in mind when I chose this embark, before I found the second underground volcano.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57607 on: August 31, 2024, 01:25:48 pm »

Edit:  Double post.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 05:54:13 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57608 on: August 31, 2024, 05:53:04 pm »

I finally retired my fortress Torchsyrup, after achieving a fair portion of my goals there.  My empire, the Reclusive Lashes, was at war with another Dwarven empire, the Crystal of Barricades, and came pretty close to wiping them out. 

My new fortress, Tinspun, belongs to the Crystal of Barricades.  My main agenda for this fortress is to build lots of cage traps, capture all the legendary warriors from Torchsyrup (which is very close), and steal their adamantine armor.

Tinspun has been thriving for nearly 20 years, but it has not been a complete success.  While I have managed to capture scores of enemy dwarven soldiers and steal their armor, none of them have brought any adamantine.  And the only recognizable dwarves from my old fort have been a pair of necromancers that showed up and were swiftly captured.

Due to my over-reliance on cage traps, I haven't had much of a military for most of this playthrough.  But i have vast stockpiles of stolen steel armor, and about 20 smelters constantly melting whatever isn't worth saving.

The King and his Queen Consort live in Tinspun, along with their 11 children.  The eldest are teenagers, currently training under the militia commander.  Once they build up some skills, they will be given their own squads, and I'll start building up the army.  I've also let them spend some time as scholars, and a couple of them have written autobiographies.

---

One thing I've noticed - I'm not able to invade my previous fortress, Torchsyrup, apparently because both fortresses occupy the same tile on the world map  (unless there's a way around this, which I'd be super grateful to hear about!).  I wonder if this is also preventing a direct invasion from Torchsyrup, keeping me from getting my old citizens as invaders?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #57609 on: September 03, 2024, 06:00:31 pm »

For well over a year now, there's been a flock of giant lovebirds hovering motionless high above my fort, preventing any other wildlife from spawning until they leave. This is a little convenient as it means I can proceed with my plan of littering the forest with cage traps without any fear of interruption by more dangerous wildlife, but it's going to become a problem as soon as I'm done and start wanting things to show up and wander into said traps. Plan A is to build towers up to each of the birds and spook them into flying away, idk what I'll do if that doesn't work.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57610 on: September 03, 2024, 07:18:46 pm »

You can always use dfacks exterminate command. The flying pathing ai gets stuck all the time, they'll just as likely get stuck after trying to spook them.
I make Spellcrafts!

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #57611 on: September 04, 2024, 12:45:29 pm »

You can always use dfacks exterminate command. The flying pathing ai gets stuck all the time, they'll just as likely get stuck after trying to spook them.

I don't use dfhack, and I'd much rather exhaust my in-house options before resorting to that. For example, stationing marksdwarves on Plan A's towers to shoot them down. It's a lot more fun to come up with a response to the jank other than "I'll just do a command and pretend that didn't happen."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57612 on: September 04, 2024, 02:41:21 pm »

It's still technically cheating, but you can temporarily remove [FLIER] from giant lovebirds and watch them fall out of the sky. You can put it back after they're taken care of.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57613 on: September 06, 2024, 02:00:42 am »

after ~10 years my 'ramp to hell' project ended in dismal failure. we were only a few tiles away from releasing the demons, which would have ascended a 117 z-level tall  open air ramp full of traps and 'water features' in a sort of manufactured Armageddon / worlds most cynical reality tv show. ultimately the fortress was crippled by a flaming bull demon who killed over %50 of the citizens.

the rest were finished off by roaming forgotten beasts.

also, PIT OF HANDS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCeOm5Ngw3g&t=14232s

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57614 on: September 07, 2024, 02:52:58 pm »

It would appear as though the local necromancer tower's experiments do not have bones. I noticed in combat that my warriors were always bruising or tearing muscle with their blows, with the finishing blows saying they "bruised the brain" but never "jammed the bone" into it. Their rotted corpses leaving behind only scales and feathers confirms this. Coincidentally, this makes cleanup a breeze since they leave behind less clutter. It also adds a new level of horror to the idea of necromancer experimentation in my head.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.
Pages: 1 ... 3839 3840 [3841] 3842