Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1961 1962 [1963] 1964 1965 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110608 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29430 on: May 31, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »

It seems 55 ferric maceelves, a dozen bloodwolves, and two ferric swordmasters do not = to roughly 13 mace and swordsdwarves, among them a Legend in the art of swordplay, Swordmaster Obok Hailsmith, The Destruction of Blindness. She is skilled to the extent a Forest Giant attacked and when it swung at her with a burly fist, she sliced it's head off, sending it off in a bloody arc into a pond. I eagerly await the children of the fort to come of age so she'll have replacements for the poor rookie swordsdwarf Reras who was torn asunder by a giant mole. Until then she'll be running endless solo drills.

EDIT: Epo the poison iting three eyes elephant-trunked toad has come!

And was killed after all four limbs were slashed and it took a rather heavy handed fist to the dome.

Obok's blade has since eaten its soul, making the Swordmaster stronger.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29431 on: May 31, 2013, 06:45:34 pm »

Obok's blade has since eaten its soul, making the Swordmaster stronger.

All hail Obok Hailsmith!  Surely the blade of such a fabled warrior also has a name :D. Do tell!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29432 on: May 31, 2013, 06:52:13 pm »

All hail Obok Hailsmith!  Surely the blade of such a fabled warrior also has a name :D. Do tell!

Not yet sadly, despite her killing an FB and a forest giant along with many dark stranglers, several blendecs, two goblin snatchers, a named giant mole, and a baker's dozen of ferric elves with it.

My chief bone carver made a dagger that wishes it was a morningstar apparently. Avumfikod, "Culminateglaze" is a bone dagger with a leather handle, on one side of the blade is an image of the fortress' artifact morningstar and a wolf on the other side. on the upside, he's a legend now so the copious amounts of bones being disassembled from the various fallen will be put to good use.

Maybe that'll be the main weapon of a combination wrestler-daggerdorf squad sergeant...

EDIT: Well, some very good news! After two and a half years of nothing but largely nonvenomous snakes and random birds of prey like owls and kestrels, we have caught us a faedog! Supposedly they are the best of the best of mammalian fighting animals, so now i need to find him a mate.

I've taken care of some left over prisoners after the mummies proved to be less than what I wanted. I have since converted the death pit into a firing range, so my three rangers can use POWs and useless animal catches as practice targets.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29433 on: June 01, 2013, 12:03:55 am »

Relicshield, pop. 110, Late Winter of 284

The fortress was still reeling from the deaths of Edem and Nish, when a mining accident claimed the lives of Duchess consort Cinnabar, Stinthad the Mayor, and Sigun, husband of the legendary macedwarf Dishmab.  The mining expedition in search of the second fabled cavern received incomplete digging plans and a necessary stairwell was left half-done  (i.e. poor overseer oversight and forgetting about my miners after using quickfort) :(.  Stinthad and Sigun died of thirst before the rest of the fortress realized anything was amiss.  A secondary tunnel was quickly mined out and Cinnabar made it to the dining hall... only to perish with a whip wine barrel in front of her.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29434 on: June 01, 2013, 01:25:58 am »

Also I finally figured out the military interface, I think. And I have two vampires. One I didn't realize until after I'd appointed her mayor. She has TEN CHILDREN and a husband and none of them are here, plus former member of a huge list of things. Also she's mayor of...The Lancer of Virginity.(?) That seems to be the name of something associated with my fortress. I don't really know what, but it's hilarious.

Did I mention my vampire mayor keeps ordering coffins?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29435 on: June 01, 2013, 01:30:41 am »

Also she's mayor of...The Lancer of Virginity.(?) That seems to be the name of something associated with my fortress. I don't really know what, but it's hilarious.

Well, vampires do love the blood of virgins.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29436 on: June 01, 2013, 09:18:16 am »

Human caravan came. So much stuff to bring, from worn-out clothing to tons of unbinned crafts. By the time the baron/broker was finished meeting with the Law-Giver, only half the stuff had been brought, with the stuff left behind was mostly all the craft bins. Managed to buy out the entire stock of useful stuff, including all the fish, meat, and most of the plants, and still gave them over 10k in profit, and I didn't even sell them everything that was brought.
Also she's mayor of...The Lancer of Virginity.(?) That seems to be the name of something associated with my fortress. I don't really know what, but it's hilarious.

Well, vampires do love the blood of virgins.
Although I don't think that's quite the... appropriate method of aquiring it.
...At least not for a consistent supply. :-\
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29437 on: June 01, 2013, 09:59:42 am »

The first death of a sentient in several years struck.

It was the goblinised human prisoner, who expired of old age. I got a slab engraved for him and threw his corpse into the tomb of the dwarf he had killed. I also ordered the ballista fired that had been pointed at his head all the time. Hilariously, the arrow made it through the cell, out the fortification window to the corridor and (through another window) into the cell on the other side, where it broke a rib or two of the goblin thief incarcerated there. And it was a wooden ballista arrow, too. Given my previous experience with ballistae, i hadn't expected it to clear the cell.

The slab says the human (Ngospo somethingorother, which i think means he was _born_ in a goblin fort) 'died peacefully during the attempted abduction at <fortname>', about six years after that ambush actually happened. And he was a loving father and husband. Those dwarfs are the most courteous obituary-makers ever, they always find something nice to say about the dead.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29438 on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:31 am »

Those dwarfs are the most courteous obituary-makers ever, they always find something nice to say about the dead.

Haha, they really are.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29439 on: June 01, 2013, 07:28:52 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Ngopex has come! An enormous one-eyed crab. It has a pair of squat antennae and it undulates rhythmically. Its emerald exosqueleton is waxy. Beware its deadly blood!

I suspect this will not be as easy as that forgotten beast made of salt that died in 1 hit I got earlier.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29440 on: June 01, 2013, 11:45:59 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 113, Winter of 288 (Year 37)

After years of training, Relicshield's siege engineers were ready to bring the pain!  3 legendaries and 1 grandmaster rotated duties on the 3-ballista battery, giving the goblins quite a surprise :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, Edem II completed his personal quest and is now legendary in all dwarven weapons.  The tiny dwarf has settled on the pick as his weapon of choice, the first soldier of the fortress to do so.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29441 on: June 02, 2013, 04:31:58 am »

The 8th year of my fortress just ended. Population 155 (kids are like 80).

Just got my duke installed. Took me some time to get his bedroom to become Royal but a artifact-armour stand solved it.

Tried to set up a arena.But my caged cave dragon wouldn't fight the goblin thief I threw at him...

The army is really a  mess. 3 out of 6 soliders have serious damages that don't seem to heal. Perhaps I need to enlist some new ones.

A dogleather turban was the latest artifact made by a moody little dwarf. Horray...I guess.

Since the fortress is extremely well protected (walls & traps) from the above it's getting a little boring. Guess it's time to strike the earth and see what the below has to offer...
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #29442 on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:54 am »

Overseer's Journal - City Urgeurns, Year 3. Population - 99

With the coming of spring came the coming of goblins. A squad of axe goblins came up in the west, and my fort was still woefully inadequate at defending itself from above, not even a single tower. Good thing they came only with melee troops. They camped on a ridge just withing crossbow range, making for easy pickings. 3 goblins fall, the rest scatter. But this was not without loss. Several livestock, fortunately none were pets, were killed along with a war dog. The dog fought well, but he was no match for a barbarian's axe. The populace seems restive about safety, of them and their loved ones. In light of this I have ordered an underground pasture to be dug out and the animals to be kept there for safety. I have also ordered the construction of a five Urist-high tower, built around the stairway leading into the heart of the fortress. The first level would be the barracks for the melee dwarves and the gate, whilst the second levels and third levels would hold the marksdwarf squads, with their walls made of fortifications with walls at intervals. The fourth level and fifth level would be for the nobility which had the highest ranking, may it be the mayor, baron, duke or monarch. The top level will be a splendid statue garden, filled with statues made of marble. They will depict the events of the fort throughout its life. I am still debating whether to construct it out of gabbro or dolomite. I have ordered the miners to dig out as much of those two types of stone as possible.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #29443 on: June 02, 2013, 07:42:28 am »

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29444 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:06 am »

The Forgotten Beast Ngopex has come! An enormous one-eyed crab. It has a pair of squat antennae and it undulates rhythmically. Its emerald exosqueleton is waxy. Beware its deadly blood!

I suspect this will not be as easy as that forgotten beast made of salt that died in 1 hit I got earlier.
A Gohma?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1961 1962 [1963] 1964 1965 ... 3842