Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1971 1972 [1973] 1974 1975 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110405 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29580 on: June 14, 2013, 11:07:54 am »

Medtob Zeggutid is new favorite migrant.
While he was a mere shearer, he brought with him a golden goose. (just started playing masterwork btw)
For those who don't know, golden geese lay gold bars instead of eggs.
So yeah.

Also having serious issues keeping the fortress in booze and food.
I turned the crappy farming system off, but it seems to have just ignored that and stayed with the FOUR SEASON growth time for my plump helmets.
Trying to divert the local brook into a underground reservoir to compensate.
Sure it won't make my dwarves too happy, but they should be able to handle any inevitable sieges without all dehydrating this way.

Now I just need a way to make my food supplies more sustainable.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #29581 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:00 pm »

Don't ever operate pumps near cats.
The spinning rat Remains strikes The Stray Cat in the lower body, but the attack has no force!
The large roach Remains strikes The Stray Cat in the right rear leg, but the attack glances away!
The hamster Remains strikes The Stray Cat in the head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain!
The Stray Cat has been knocked unconscious!
The Stray Cat slams into the Stray Cat!
The Stray Cat slams into an obstacle!
The Stray Cat (Tame) has been found dead.

I love how the first hit does nothing, the second hit does nothing, and the third hit just so happens to completely implode the cat's paper mache skull with a dead hamster. Dat headshot.

Now I just need a way to make my food supplies more sustainable.
While playing Masterwork a couple versions back I found the simplest way was to butcher everything that moves for meat for making meals and then save all plants for booze. Getting turkeys for laying eggs provided some extra (and sustainable) fodder for roasts and biscuits, despite egg laying being nerfed for Masterwork (if I recall that correctly, that is).
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29582 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:34 pm »

Huge migrations waves = military and huge farming community

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29583 on: June 14, 2013, 06:28:46 pm »

Update!
I have gotten over my sustenance issues, because merchants.
I somehow lucked into having a huge amount of mithril throwing weapons laying around, so I sold them all and got enough food/booze to drown the fort forever as well as the blueprints for nearly every new workshop....yeah that was a really good trade.
Later on some humans and gnomes arrived at the same time. I traded for what I could afford from the humies then seized all the gnomes goods, because they present no threat whatsoever.
Oh, and an elephant siege happened right when the gnomes left in a huff, I think they survived to tell of my treachery, but all the humies died in my airlock. :(
Ah well, just means I get ALL of their steel plate armor :P

Also finished the reservoir, and it works awesome, going to use a blood of armok to make a magma reservoir right next to it, and then I shall have magmaforges :)

Of course now I got an undead siege, and I triggered about 12 gobo ambushes.
Hiding underground, have fun with the corpses gobbies XD

.....Did I mention the undead are on fire?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29584 on: June 14, 2013, 07:10:47 pm »

So, I just finished the two towers nobles live in. It was an absolute pain in the ass to build these
since the dwarves would constantly trap themselves, suspend everything and so on.
They're a bit small, but this is my first real above-ground tower construction.

Here's a stonesense screenshot.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29585 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »

Huge migrations waves = military and huge farming community

Not sure, but i think this depot is inacessible for any wagon(the traps blocks wagons).

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29586 on: June 15, 2013, 05:03:48 am »

Relicshield, pop. 122, Spring of 296 (Year 45)

A year earlier, Kadol the hammerdwarf was caught outside alone during a siege.  Her fellow soldiers rushed to her aid, but a group of trolls intercepted them right as they emerged from the fortress.  While the majority of Relicshield's defenders were forced to engage the tusked monsters in battle, Captain Dishmab rushed toward the lone hammerdwarf.  Second only to Commander Sphalerite in total kills, Dishmab smashed into foes with her mighty mace.  Together, she and Kadol routed the goblin squad, while their compatriots decimated the trolls.

Once the siege was defeated, attention turned back to preparations for the second cavern expedition.  Scaffolding was taken down from the walls securing the first cavern to regain blocks, but there were two fatal accidents.  Atir the Clothier and Dolomite, Chief Medic and one of the Original Seven, fell to their deaths.  Scaffolding had been taken down before, one level at a time, without incident, but Duke Phyllite demanded the procedures be placed under review. 

The Spring brought renewed hope in the form of Ibmat the Dragon, who was lured into the trade tunnels and captured in a cage.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29587 on: June 15, 2013, 12:31:11 pm »

For but a single Dwarven day, everything rose to the speed of 6 FPS.

It was a good day.

An FB was slain by the hordes of zombie crundles that infested the caverns of Silentthunders.

They are still being captured and destroyed.

One got a pick axe in its eyes.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29588 on: June 15, 2013, 12:52:24 pm »

So, I filled a stockpile with beds and linked it to a craft workshop linked to a body part stockpile. And set decorations on repeat.

Now all the beds that I'm going to use are menacing with spikes of multiple types of creature bone, shell and horn.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29589 on: June 15, 2013, 02:18:27 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 122, Spring of 296 (Year 45)

Soon after Ibmat the dragon was captured, the goblins laid siege to the fortress.  They were routed, but not without the death of a human diplomat.  While the spoils of war were collected and corpses disposed of, a swamp titan appeared to the west.

The Swamp Titan Dab Ronzoslu Ozse Sostux has come!  A gigantic eyeless scorpionfly.  It has large mandibles and it has a regal bearing.  Its charcoal exoskeleton is waxy.  Beware its poisonous bite!

The defenders of Relicshield readied themselves, but the monster headed toward the roofed courtyard where there were several defenseless civilians.  There were two openings in the roof that had been missed while making an adjacent tower!  By the time the order was given to redirect the troops, the swamp titan had already descended into the courtyard.  Dwarves panicked and fled in terror, however the courtyard also housed the grizzly training grounds.  Six grizzlies charged at the foul monstrosity immediately.

The fighting was quick, but fierce.  Surrounding the titan, the grizzlies tore into it, biting and latching on from all sides.

By the time the soldiers arrived, the fell beast had already met a grisly end :D (thank you growth bug fix). 

Now the cooks of Relicshield are busy making use of the 433 pieces of swamp titan meat that was left.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:51:40 pm by VerdantSF »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29590 on: June 15, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »

I've got over 61 Dwarven children from the first generation of children, all marked from 1st to 10thborn who were born in the buggy age of Dwarven Dwarfs.
I think I won't fix the bug, since I changed the raws to make sure all future children are born the right size. I think it'd be rather interesting to have one generation of Dwarves that are more Dwarfy than the other Dwarves, that old tiny lot!

...And I will give them all crossbows, and they will shoot things.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29591 on: June 15, 2013, 04:39:45 pm »

There is a parade of two-humped camels walking through my goblin seige.
Awkward. I guess Camels must be the goblin equivalent of Black Cats or something.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29592 on: June 15, 2013, 06:07:58 pm »

The baconing will commence. Only the muscle-laden fat-strapped gigantic boars, sows and piglets will survive this round. Candidates must be gigantic and fat/muscly. All others will be slaughtered and eaten. The surviving brood shall be better organized and prepared for necromancy-baconing.

Meanwhile a forgotten beast emerges from the depths of the Quarry and now harasses mechanics on the surface.

The bacon must hesitate yet more.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29593 on: June 15, 2013, 06:49:02 pm »

"Bacon waits," *looks at Loud Whispers* "For no man."

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29594 on: June 15, 2013, 07:12:28 pm »

"Bacon waits," *looks at Loud Whispers* "For no man."
If indeed baconing waits for no man, then perhaps I am fortunate that these are Dwarves! You see, the baconing waits at the next minecart stop for every Dwarf who wishes to take it and make it true...
Pages: 1 ... 1971 1972 [1973] 1974 1975 ... 3842