Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 854675 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

There are magical effects (and items) that work quite a bit like a tranditional satchel charge, or bomb.

Lobbing one at most doors you would expect in a fantasy setting would throw them off their hinges in little woody bits, or bits of stony shrapnel.

Most DMs dont like this kind of thinking though, and want to use the door for encounter control purposes. Really creative problem solving for many of these kinds of encounters could totally bork many DM's carefully laid plans.

Take for instance, a setting predicated on sending the group to take care of some local goblin or orc filth that has been causing trouble, at the cave-centered base of operations for said filth.  It's a cave. It has at least one opening to the outside, and is an enclosed space.  You have some options that are not normally considered, and would be heavily frowned upon by the DM:

A geomancer can cause an earthquake. This will collapse the cave, killing all the goblin/orc filth inside. At the very least, will collapse the opening, trapping them inside, and side-stepping the entire fun-ride the DM had planned.
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Geomancy_(5e_Archetype) (level 8 spell)

An alchemist can create a powerful deadly vapors based approach, and gas the entire cave complex from the door. (In order for the cave to NOT suffocate the orc filth inside, there MUST be a draft-- so just having really noxious vapors wafting through and waiting at the door will either result in the orcs barrelling out to escape the gas, or their being gassed inside the cave. If they barrel out, they are restricted by the opening, allowing mass kills.)

Failing that, a hydromancer could simply flood the cave, and drown them all inside.

If the DM wants to say "you cant do that, the rooms are watertight", that leaves the question-- how do the inhabitants not asphyxiate?

Creative problem solving can be a DM's nightmare, which is why some DMs will nerf plans like that. Others will permit them, then exact vengance for derailing the script later.

Well, I'm a bit late on the discussion, but these are opportunities for the DM to up their game. Sure the first time this happens it will take you by surprise, because players are cunning little snakes and they typically plan how to bork any encounter if they get wind of it ahead of time. High level parties typically require a particularly nuanced or equally high-level solution in order to prevent them from cutting through 'basic' encounters. However, there are a couple really good stock fallbacks to prevent the party from using the scorched Earth tactics outlined above.

1. Hostages.  If the party is primarily good-aligned, hostages can basically be sprinkled in without too much explanation of why their there. If the party is not primarily good-aligned, then they're not likely purging goblin caves out of the goodness of their heart, and a hostage with useful information makes for a nice and squishy objective.*

*Do note that an evil party might still gas the cave, grab the dead hostage and compel the corpse the answer questions. It's a rather clinically effective solution.

2. Strategic Resources. Sometimes you get asked to kill bad guys in a place because bad guys do bad things and the place isn't that important. By making the place important, and the objective to liberate the place from the bad guys so the good guys can do good things again, you can cut out some forms of scorched earth tactics effectively. A mining town can be effectively blackmailed by a bandit gang that has taken over their copper mine, and the townsfolk want the MINE back intact. Collapsed, filled with water/poison gas, or otherwise obliterated just puts them in an even worse situation. For less altruistic groups, there can easily be some sensitive material that they need to recover that would not take kindly to wholesale destruction.

3. Magitech.  D&D has this odd problem where it can fall into this zone of Low Fantasy- Except for the Player and the Main Antagonist. A good number of GMs just don't do much enchantment in the background level of the environment. In the mine example above, it makes sense that a valuable resource like a mine would be reasonably well protected against flash floods, geologic incidents, and the occasionally gas pocket. There are dozens of useful spells for dealing with these problems, which themselves create more interesting challenges for the players to overcome.

Basically, if your players are jumping the hurdles you're placing, try throwing a metal rod at their knees and see how well they jump then. It's for their own good.

Also, it's important to remember to do the same to them when you have the chance- and to allow for creative failure. If the low-intelligence fighter tries to insistently tamper with the strange magical obelisk's that are somehow linked to a magical research laboratories defense systems, don't just tell them that they've accomplished nothing. Give them a merry chase of violet sparks and ominous hums before you have the system melt down and fry the entire system- opening up the magical defenses that were checking the party's progress, and opening up all the magical defenses that were keeping the... research subjects at bay.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Why not do an Alchemist/Witch instead? If it's P6, Herb Witch takes away 50% of your total hexes, and that's really not something you want as a Witch. Alchemist gets you a lot of witch-brew goodies and you can also throw bombs (or trade those in for Vivisectionist sneak attacks, depending on what kind of witch you'd like to be). Imagine grabbing the flight hex and doing bombing runs on unsuspecting fools at level 5 from the back of your broomstick!
Well, part of the point of being Witch/Wizard is that I don't have to worry about running out of spells. :P And there's already an Alchemist applying; I'm worried enough about my chances right now without a lot of overlap.
Black lives matter.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I am starting to think Railroading is the faux-satan of Roleplaying.

It is constantly made out to be this HORRID demon, this horrible beast! Yet... Outside niche groups most players prefer to be railroaded to a moderate extent and even more are completely lost if they are not even if they are given hints.

As soon as I stepped outside the hardcore roleplayer minority... BOOM! All of a sudden my player base wanted more direction, more story for them to explore along the way, and to simplify what they have to do. I was incredulous and it was kind of weird going from having my players being so hardcoded against railroading that they outright advocated against time advancing (YES REALLY! That if a evil overlord exists, they he must sit on his throne until the players are good and ready for him), to players actually saying "Hey, probably be best of you railroad for a bit. I need to catch my bearings".
I will say that there's a difference between giving direction and outright railroading, the difference between a suggestion and an imperative. But it can exist on a spectrum, and I will agree that some groups don't mind railroading and will feel lost if you ask them what they want to do. Though that's still more a difference between agency of motivation versus agency of action, in that many players have trouble coming up with goals, but most will probably object to you saying what they're trying to do won't work without giving a reasonable explanation of why.

Also, some players might feel, not exactly railroaded, but similarly think they're lacking in agency, when not presented with explicit options about what they can do, which may be a fault of the players not thinking enough, but it can just as easily be a fault of the DM for not giving them enough information to work with. I know that I personally have a problem with not providing much detail unless asked for it (mostly since I improvise most scenarios and environments. To compensate, I generally give a chance for things, such as furniture and light sources and gunpowder kegs, to be available if players ask for them and they would be in a place where it would make sense).

As for players wanting to be immune to time, doing so to my mind could also be seen as railroading in the favor of the players, which is not to say it's a bad thing. Having things happen as time passes is an aspect of portraying the world, which is one of the DM's jobs, though I'd say it's best to not have too many hard time pressures, since that's kind of like a video game where you have to beat it under a certain time or lose. It's better to have things that happen at a certain time not be a complete loss and/or have time pressure come up only when the players are dicking around too much.

Mostly unrelated to the above, last night I learned that sending enemies in waves, while good for keeping them from getting annihilated by AoE spells, can effectively turn an encounter into several smaller encounters with no rests between, which, while no walking the park, is much more survivable than a single encounter with all those enemies at once.

So, for context, the players in my group decided to infiltrate the local assassins' guild after following back to their headquarters, who had just seen the message they sent with the bodies of the last assassins sent after them (arranged into a star pattern in the town square, a black star being the symbol of the guild). They then went in disguised as guild members, and, for a brief moment, I had the naive hope that this was just meant to be a recon mission.

Then the bard gathered most of the assassins in the common area around him with a dice game (the headquarters was in an abandoned warehouse, with boxes arranged to form a type of fortifications in the interior, with a main open area in the middle and side rooms in the wall bits), and the wizard cast a fireball on them (evokers in 5e can be a pain with their ability to ignore friendly fire), and the situation quickly escalated.

They pretty quickly dispatched the people in the common room, and, since I didn't want to totally wipe them (and because D&D combat gets bogged down if you use too many enemies at once), I just sent out waves of reinforcements from the different rooms in turn to try to scare them into retreating. But they just kept fighting, even when some of them got knocked unconscious (but they were pretty quickly brought back with healing magic or potions). There was a point in the end when they seemed to be thinking about retreating, but then the bard said something about how heroes in the stories don't retreat, and so they stayed.

Eventually all the rooms were cleared out, so I had to grant them control of the building, since they earned it. In the end, they had killed 57 spies (the NPC type, which is CR 1) and 1 assassin (CR 8). They were 5 level 7 PCs. According to the Kobold Fight Club encounter builder, if that was all one encounter, not only would it be rated Deadly, but it would be deadly for any group of 5 PCs less than level 20.

Granted, there might have been some factors that mitigated the deadliness, such as the fact that the players kept hiding in rooms that had been cleared already, and I probably wasn't using the enemies' full abilities (spies can hide as a bonus action, which would have helped them get more rounds of ranged sneak attack, though I'm not really sure they had the longevity for that to be a problem), and I could have used the environment better (with enemies climbing on top of the walls to shoot from a more protected point), but, still, it was a pretty impressive battle on the players' part.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

This fucking Samurai. Beyond the blatant overpower of the 3pp class, this roleplaying is antagonistic.

All Samurai in real life hunted and tortured peasants for fun, apparently, so it's okay for him to kill quest givers. Peasants are not even human, he says. His character doesn't even consider us other players worthy of his respect, and is just waiting for us to slip to get an excuse to execute us. Worse than the Orc whose alignment is Orc.

I'm definitely gone after this session.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:19:12 pm by BlackFlyme »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This fucking Samurai. Beyond the blatant overpower of the 3pp class, this roleplaying is antagonistic.

All Samurai in real life hunted and tortured peasants for fun, apparently, so it's okay for him to kill quest givers. Peasants are not even human, he says. His character doesn't even consider us other players worthy of his respect, and is just waiting for us to slip to get an excuse to execute us. Worse than the Orc whose alignment is Orc.

I'm definitely gone after this session.
That's not really true. it was only if they insulted them that they were allowed to kill people. also the generally didn't because lords get angry when you murder their tax payers and most people are not psychopaths.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

He just drowned a merchant's horses for not giving him free shit, so I don't think he cares what real Samurai did.

Lawful and Good Party my ass.

Edit, he said he's specifically doing stuff he knows will piss us off.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:05:00 pm by BlackFlyme »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was a term for Samurai, though, who would kill people to test how sharp their swords are.

Yet a lot of aspects of Samurai life are... not exactly true.

Given that suicides in Japanese society, at the time, were... Less than voluntary (in fact, even if it was voluntary it wasn't voluntary).

The Caste System was completely and utterly made up by out of touch nobles and weren't reflected by everyday people...

It is why I find Samurai in pen and paper RPG to be part of "Fantasy Japan" where "What if those out of touch nobles were right?"

it was only if they insulted them that they were allowed to kill people

To my knowledge the whole "Samurai killing people indiscriminately" was less that they were allowed to... and more that the justice system of feudal Japan was ALL SORTS of messed up. So they could get away with it a lot of the time because a peasants legal recourse was... well terrible.

Though to my knowledge this was never encouraged and near universally reviled.

If you want to get into even greater levels of bastardry you get into the Lords. The law went out of its way to protect them, to the point where even if you were 100% in the right and provably so, you would be punished.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:06:02 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

He just drowned a merchant's horses for not giving him free shit, so I don't think he cares what real Samurai did.

Lawful and Good Party my ass.

Edit, he said he's specifically doing stuff he knows will piss us off.

This is very, very, toxic behavior and you should definitely stop playing with these guys.  It sounds like it is completely out of hand and no one is doing anything to reign it in, and that is a very clear sign of a group self destructing.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Yeah. Save any nice player you can and go.
Love, scriver~

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Yeah. Save any nice player you can and go.
I hope there are some.
I'm probably a pessimist, but it sounds like BlackFlyme is the only remaining nice player. >.>
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile

How do you play, cause I'll play.
I'm a great player, always a rogue or fighter.
I love cross classing barbarian rogue.
××××××××××××××××××

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My group's Samurai just retired, actually. It's a sad day, since the player was extremely well liked by all. He's moving to another city, so we're gonna miss him.

He also showed me that the Samurai class in Pathfinder is actually a pretty damned rock solid melee class. Especially the reroll abilities it gains, as well as the ability to negate critical hits. Really, really survivable front line class.

Luckily he wasn't a douche, too. Sorry about your own poor experience BlackFlyme. Hopefully you get a new group with less drama.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm excited for my next Pathfinder session. I've got a really, really nasty ambush encounter planned.

Underground cavern, waterfall on one side, whitewater rapids below. Spires of stone with rope bridges between them.

And a Roper hidden in the ceiling disguised as a stalactite.

Gonna be fun!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Since my last campaign fizzled out due to a number of factors I've switched over to a more character-oriented setup in RIFTS, so far it is going pretty well, but I'm having to manage far more NPCs than usual which is becoming slightly problematic.

There aren't any issues with the main NPCs or the old standby characters I use to flesh out the world, but I'm having trouble with the 'personal' NPCs that I'm building for the players.  That trouble is mostly coming in the form of keeping names straight when we have regular two-week breaks between sessions, and I am terrible at writing things down.

I think I'm going to have to appoint someone note-taker again, and no one likes that job.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Making a last call for players for my D&D Basic players. If you already got a hold of me, you should have a PM.

Please don't post unless you're PTW. If you want to join, PM me directly

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164883.msg7512546#msg7512546
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 623