Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63

Author Topic: Monster Mash Tournament III: Starting now (5/8)  (Read 57328 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Monster Mash Tournament III: Starting now (5/8)
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:47:46 pm »

"Welcome young and old, men and women, rich and poor! Come and join into this tournament where your bodily safety is ensured, where you can't lose anything you didn't already have and where you can only win! Unless you lose...
Just sit into this virtual reality machine where you can fully visualize the combat, shuffle your deck, play your most powerful cards and you are ready to go!"

What is this?

Well, the marketing speech above sums up what this is about; a tournament where you make a monster from cards you are randomly given, fight, win and take cards from loser to make even stronger monsters. Cards come (almost) straight from The Metamorphica, so if you know about it, you can guess what you might get.
If you are not familiar with the book, you can check it out here (or pdf here). You don't need to know about it to play, but you wish to know what you can possibly get then reading it certainly helps.

How do I join?

Express your desire to do so. That's all.

What and how much I get?

((These rules are for tournament three and onwards, unless balance requires changes.))

You have will be given 100 points to buy cards. You can either buy your cards separately matching your desires, or buy a default pack worth of 100 points. Default pack contains following cards:

3 Creatures - You must have at least one creature on the field, or can mix multiple together with crossbreed cards.
3 Crossbreeds - You can use these to combine your creatures into new mutants, hopefully more powerful or useful ones. You don't have to use any of these if you don't want to, but using one means you can have one additional mutation for your creature. You can ask me what kind of creature each combination results if you aren't sure.
5 Mutations - These are physical and mental mutations, psychic and super powers. Mutations range from extremely overpowered to completely useless and outright self destructive. You must have at least one mutation on your creature, and at maximum you can have 6. However each Crossbreed you apply increases maximum limit by one.
1 Joker - Completely random card. It may be a creature, crossbreed, mutation or demonic equipment. It can be literally almost any effect from The Metamorphica.

If you want to have feeling of control over what cards you'll receive then give me a number between 0 and 2,147,483,647 for each/any card. Same number is quaranteed to give same cards as long as I don't change my tables.

Cards and prices

Price  Card
    5  Joker - Any card from The Metamorphica, Special ones at bottom of this list excluced.
   10  Creature - Available in three variations: Small -5, Medium +10, Large +30.
   20    Aquatic Animals
   20    Amphibians and Reptiles
   20    Birds - No large variants
   50    Fantastic Animals - These often come with their own special cards
   90    Fantastic People - These often come with their own special cards
   20    Mammals
   10    Plants - Comes with mutation "Alternate Locomotion"
   10    Other Animals - Insects and such. Only small variant exists, no discount.
    5  Crossbreed
   10  Mutation
   20    Physical Mutation
   30      Physical Non-detrimental Mutation
   50      Physical Beneficial Mutation
   20    Mental Mutation
   30      Mental Non-detrimental Mutation
   50      Mental Beneficial Mutation
   60    Supernatural or Psychic Powers
   75      Active Supernatural or Psychic Powers
   75      Passive Supernatural or Psychic Powers
   30  Special: Upgrade mutation

Rules:

1. You can switch and buy new cards at any time as long as you have points for it. However swithing in or out a card that causes physical changes in your creature, you will be incapacitated for one turn.
2. At any time you can sell back any card at half price, even those gained from your opponent.
3. Defeating opponent gives you all cards loser had. More you kill, more powerful you grow.
4. You are limited to 6 mutation/equipment cards. This limit can be raised by one for each crossbreed you apply on your monster.
5. HARDCORE way to pass limits is to bundle it with random detrimental mutation. Such bundled cards are not counted against limit.
6. Once match starts, post your actions in any way you feel most comfortable. Post here, use spoilers or send me a PM. Turn will be posted in spoilers, so please be a gentleman and do not read results of your opponent. I trust in you!

Betting:

People who are not playing can bet their points for various things. Payout rises with type of bet.

1. First blood. Bet on who's first to hurt someone else. This bet can be made until any two players engage in battle.
3. First death. Who dies first. Likewise, no new bets after first wound.
2. First kill. Obvious. After someone is wounded no new bets are accepted.
4. Winner. No new bets after half of combatants are dead.

Other notes:

Fights can and often will be unfair, but remember that losing is fun and an ant can beat elephant! It's not easy and the ant might drown in blood, but it is doable.

Example:
Spoiler: Cards (click to show/hide)

From this deck you first pick your creature. Well, the bear is clear winner here, no need to combine it with anything, but you could do this:
Bear, crossbreed 1, woolly rat, using mutations 1 and 2.

Resulting creature would have shape of bear but colours and whiskers of woolly rat. Maybe duller teeth and claws. Other animals won't cause any troubles for it and psychic attacks causing emotions won't have much of effect.

And let's say I want to take risk and switch "Physical Coward" and "Siamese Twin" for new card. The new card I was rolled for is "Animal: Polychaete worm". Well, that backfired magnificently... Now I have to use that card. Well, I'll do this:
Bear, crossbreed 1, Polychaete worm, using mutations 1 and 2. The result is one helluva freaky bear. It's mere outlook scares most sapients away and makes it very clear for opponent which creature in the area must die.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:56:34 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Mash Tournament
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:48:22 pm »

Champions:
  • Hawk132
  • Beirus (Reigning champion)

Tournament ladder:
Spoiler: Tournament II (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tournament I (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:23:15 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:57:50 pm »

In.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:19:51 pm »

This looks awesome.

In

I also choose card 1729618. Yes, it HAS to be that one.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:51:21 pm by Peradon »
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:25:52 pm »

Count me in.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:42:11 pm »

Inn
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:43:27 pm »

In.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:21:56 pm »

In

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:30:28 pm »

In if possible.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 03:04:55 pm »

In
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 04:20:34 pm »

I express my desire in being In.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 04:25:47 pm »

In

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 04:32:38 pm »

In.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 11:13:12 pm »

Illgeo, Peradon, Toaster, NAV, Hawk132, Devastator, FallacyofUrist, Salsacookies are definitely in for first tournament.

My Name is Immaterial, Generally me and Pencil_Art are in the waitlist unless we get five people more.
Old sigs.
Games.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 12:00:24 am »

In!
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63