Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pawns [OOC]  (Read 5521 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pawns [OOC]
« on: June 20, 2015, 12:25:58 pm »

The OOC thread for Pawns.

Oh yeah, wanted to asked:

You answer her the next time she dreams, explaining to her the concept of mud baths (complete with pictures and visualisations), then the details.  You show her the concept of step terraces filled with growing plants, and the knowledge of how to build them and grow crops.  Finally, you encourage her to move into the nearby caves for shelter, as for now her people have slept beneath the stars.

[1, 6+1, 6+1, 1+1]

What are the +1 modifiers here? And the roll is a d6 right?

Rolls are d6, many rolls are hidden.  The +1 in this case comes from Velda's personality - being Pragmatic she got bonuses to sensible things like agriculture and step terraces (and even caves), but not to something she thought of as being 'prissy' (mud baths).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:27:39 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns [OOC]
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:40:45 pm »

Have Victor tell his tribe that every new moon, any who wish to gain great power can sacrifice a great beast they have slain in the same cave.
I will grant a boon of 1 power to whoever brings me the greatest beast on that specific night with it's effects based upon the offering (though I will still accept all other offerings)
You re-visit Victor and establish a Covenant with him, a sort of automatic exchange of power.
Isn't this basically a magic system? Why didn't he need to pay power to teach the magic to Victor?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:00:17 pm »

Have Victor tell his tribe that every new moon, any who wish to gain great power can sacrifice a great beast they have slain in the same cave.
I will grant a boon of 1 power to whoever brings me the greatest beast on that specific night with it's effects based upon the offering (though I will still accept all other offerings)
You re-visit Victor and establish a Covenant with him, a sort of automatic exchange of power.
Isn't this basically a magic system? Why didn't he need to pay power to teach the magic to Victor?

Hrm.  The idea was that unlike the magic system setup there wasn't really any flexibility to the effect - the difference between getting a themed boost and being able to dictate your own boost with some sort of Transformation aspect.  The very limited conditions don't hurt either (maximum of twelve per year).

Still, if people think it would be more balanced I could apply a reduced setup charge.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:19:04 pm »

can I join?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 03:21:36 pm »

can I join?
Design a god to join the waitlist.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 07:32:28 pm »

Hrm.  The idea was that unlike the magic system setup there wasn't really any flexibility to the effect - the difference between getting a themed boost and being able to dictate your own boost with some sort of Transformation aspect.  The very limited conditions don't hurt either (maximum of twelve per year).

Still, if people think it would be more balanced I could apply a reduced setup charge.

I took some time today to think about it and remembered why I made this choice, so here's some clarifications and how the Covenant fits into it:

1. The act of teaching an Aspect of Magic to a mortal costs 5/10 Power depending on whether it relates to your sphere.

1a. Mortals can teach other mortals Aspects without penalty.

2. Once taught, any mortal who has sufficient Power and knows the Aspect may do magic directly relating to the Aspect, including combining aspects to create complex spells.

3. Mortals can only gain Power from Gods.

3a. Gods gain Power from mortal worship, heightened by sacrifice and ritual.

4. Gods may dictate the terms under which they grant Power to mortals, including how much at once and how much to spend overall.  This is a form of Covenant.  It costs no power to set a Covenant in place, but Power is lost when the terms are met.  A god may cancel a Covenant at any time, but not retroactively.

4a. Mortals need to be aware of the terms in order to draw Power from Gods, unless the terms are so simple that a mortal could fulfil them accidentally.

Corvric's Covenant sort of works around these rules.  He sets up a condition under which instead of releasing Power to mortals to do with as they will, expends the Power they produce by ritually significant sacrifice to automatically perform a Boon.  The mortals can't use the Power directly, and they have no knowledge of magic to make use of it if they did, and since the actual boon fits under the rules of what you can do with a boon (blessings).

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 07:50:23 pm »

Your petty rules are no match for my cunning genius! :P

Though I do have a serious question here. Just what exactly is the technology level we're dealing with here?
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »

Though I do have a serious question here. Just what exactly is the technology level we're dealing with here?

Palaeolithic.  Agriculture just got started thanks to Jud, although fishing, hunting and foraging are well established.  People sleep in tents or under the stars.  Life expectancy is around 40, with outliers reaching 80 or so.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 08:25:34 pm »

Palaeolithic.  Agriculture just got started thanks to Jud, although fishing, hunting and foraging are well established.  People sleep in tents or under the stars.  Life expectancy is around 40, with outliers reaching 80 or so.
I'm assuming Pawns are almost always outliers, given the whole divine interference thing.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:29:22 pm »

I meant to use 8 power for my turn.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 11:04:55 pm »

I meant to use 8 power for my turn.

The good news is, I did use the 8 power for the strength of the boon, I just got your totals wrong at the end.  You now have the correct amount of Power (7 vs 13!).

Pawns aren't necessarily outliers, but you have better chances of saving them.  Once they get over about 25 (for the current era of the world) they have a percentile chance of dying of natural causes based on their existing age.  This turn, nobody died.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 12:43:36 am »

So, as another question, what happens to our pawns when they die? Or our followers? Do we each maintain our own afterlife, are they reincarnated, or is that a secret that even the gods do not know?
Forenia Forever!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 01:07:00 am »

Has my pawn gotten pregnant yet? Kind of creepy I know, but this is the kind of stuff you can expect to happen with short lifespans and hereditary powers.

Edit: I'm considering an immaculate conception if she doesn't get with the babymaking soon is what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:49:00 am by Demonic Spoon »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 09:09:00 am »

So, as another question, what happens to our pawns when they die? Or our followers? Do we each maintain our own afterlife, are they reincarnated, or is that a secret that even the gods do not know?

You honestly don't know what, if anything, happens to souls when mortals die.  With a clever combination of Boons, enchantments and perhaps magic you could create an afterlife, or maybe even reincarnation.

Velda isn't pregnant yet, but there's going to be an event related to that.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 09:34:25 am »

Well that isn't at all ominous
Pages: [1] 2 3 4