Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Racial Politics IC  (Read 4457 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Racial Politics IC
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:55:02 am »

You set out two and a half months ago for this new and unknown land. It has been a long hard journey. There have been rough seas, rationing, and general crampedness for the entire journey. You have seen a great number of strange water beasts, several of which were large enough to sink the ships if they desired. By some miracle all of the ships have arrived without casualty. Shore is not but a mile away, and after many weeks of living aboard the ship, all are eager to disembark. However, the representative from the Republic of Magical Races has called a meeting aboard their ship and stated that no being may set feet upon those shores until the conclusion of this meeting.

The delegates have now all arrived and the representative is about to speak. He is a Magonian, a pale white human with blond hair. His eyes are green and piercing. Normally the RMR is a soft-handed organization that doesn't really hold very much power. This man, however, is a force to be reckoned with. He is Nejuvious the Third, the gem of the RMR, and ex-arch-mage and ex-tactician for the Magonian Empire.  If he were not in charge of this endeavor, there would have been a race for the new world and general chaos across the entire known world.

"I am Nejuvious, the Overseer of this endeavor. I chose this title because it implies my true role here; to oversee, but not to direct. I am no president or dictator or politician, that is your job and I will have little to do with it. I am here to guide meetings, to bring issues before the group, and to deter any sort of infighting between groups. His eyes focus on Throg then Ninthalor. The reason I have called you all here, in full sight of our long out of reach destination, is to impart a warning and begin the construction of order.

These lands are completely unknown. The flora, fauna, and people of these strange lands are complete mysteries to us. Perhaps we will be greeted with open arms, perhaps we will be attacked before we can gain a foothold. No one will know until it happens. As a result, I encourage the swift building of defenses as well as shelter for your people. To not do so could be potentially fatal.
He paused for a moment before moving onto the main cause for this meeting.

As the Overseer of this colony by the power invested in me by the Republic of Magical Races, I hereby create the position of Presiding Officer. I appoint myself the Presiding Officer of any and all legislative bodies that hereby follow. I, in addition, hereby create the title of Representative and bestow this title upon the following individuals: Jack Richards of the Humans, Throg Troll Slayer of the Green Orcs, Durin Grayforge of the Dwarf and Gnome Alliance, Rojas of the Lizardfolk, Ulamo of the Centaurs, Ninthalor of the Wood Elves, and Viceroy Kistos of the Inheritors. Lastly, I bestow the power of legislation upon the aforementioned Representatives. It is through their discourse that the structure of our new government shall come to fruition.

General murmurs spread through the group. This man wanted them to design the structure of the government for themselves.

At this point, no full government need be planned, although that is certainly an option of merit. A temporary treatise or government structure can be put into place by either I or you the Representatives. From here on out, our course of action is up to you and you alone.

Nejuvious opens the floor to the issues phase. The issue at hand in the planning of a temporary or permanent system of government. With either option, the governmental structure can always be revisited.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Racial Politics IC
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:06:31 am »

Throg steps forth with his hands raised to silence the crowd. After the crowd is silenced he pauses for a moment collecting his thoughts then he begins to speak.
"The journey we have just endured has been I believe the most testing time in all of our lives. We have seen sights none of us have seen before we have endured storms and food shortages. Yet together we stared those challenges in the face we overcame and we pressed on. But today we find ourselves standing on the precipice of either greatness or failure. Together under strong leadership we can be great we can subjugate this land and bring much glory to our races and to our homelands. But under weak leadership this venture is doomed to fail as the forces of this new land consume and destroy us. Thus I believe the best discourse of action is to create a temporary autocratic government headed by the leader of the most military powerful race. Now i know forgoing democracy is not an option for many of your races at least not on a permanent basis but i believe that our best chance at survival is a forfeit of democratic rights until we have established ourselves in this new land."

After stating that Throg steps back into the crowd. Leaving the audience in a state of awe at the fact an ork could speak so eloquently.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:23:13 am »

Jack chuckles, standing up and waiting for the Orc to finish talking. The human slow claps as the rest of the assembly quiets down, pacing in front of the assemblage. "Great rhetoric, Throg, but you're just trying to hide the obvious fact that you want us to live under a dictator. We are representatives, Throg, we can't sign away the democratic liberties of the people we represent."

"Instead, how about we actually represent the people, like we're supposed to? Each representative is given a number of votes equivalent to their constituency, and we vote on the issues that face us."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:39:21 am »

Throg Steps out of the crowd once again this time simply growling to silence the crowd.
"I simply fear a democratic system will not be able to react in a timely manner to any hazardous situations that may occur in the early weeks or months of our settlement when a matter of minutes could decide if we succeed in our mission or if we all perish on this new continent. In times like that we will have no time for democracy it will be a time for action. If we have to vote on what action to take it will be to damn late. I don't want to destroy democracy only suspend it until we can establish ourselves to where we will be safe enough that we will have time for democracy." 

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 10:45:46 am »

The viceroy simply sighed. "Throg, I applaud your upholding of your ideas, especially as how at the moment, our dear dwarven and elvish compatriots are currently the strongest 'races' amongst us. Truly Throg, you are committed to the cause of the Republic and the enrichment of all races."

"And as for you Richards, your system works well in a more established settlement but this is a new untamed land fraught with unseen dangers. If we were to listen too citizens equally, nothing would ever get done...and I must remind you even the village idiots get a vote. If you knew my sister Vela, you'd be bowing to a king right about now. Furthermore, it is completely against the ideals of the Republic, which desires to break down the generations of conflict between the races of the world...No, if this colonial experiment is to have any success, we must stay away from these old ideas of segregation."

"Instead of making use of only tyranny or democracy I suggest a compromise. For every population centre, there should be a representative. Ostensibly, that is us. However, we simply cannot listen to the needs of every citizen due to out obligations. As such, I suggest that every 100 citizens in an area should elect a provost who is granted the ability to act in their locale as well as relay demands and problems to us. These boroughs would not be determined by race but simply living area. We can of course, veto or overrule all edicts passed by these provosts as we see fit."

"Alongside these provosts would be an appointed corps of officers to lead the combined forces of the colony. These should be the best in their field....Hmm...That seems to be my suggestions for now. Any criticism?"
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 10:48:37 am »

Ulamo stepped forward. He is an imposing sight, even by Centaur standards: his head stood at 10 feet from the ground, and his spear is as long as he is tall, and fitting him onto a boat is already a feat. He rose his spear, to show his intention to speak and address to the noisy crowd.

"Silence."

Ulamo looked at the three "representatives" as he spoke. One is simply too foolish, one is too talkish, and one is with good intentions which is not going to work today. He don't really like them: As centaurs, by nature, they are creatures of action. He would rather want things done now than later. But then they are useful, and in this place there is no place for endless bickering or picking on their deficiencies compared to the mighty centaur, if we are to get things done.

"Both of you rose important points. But here, we are not having a test of strength, or a debate contest.

"Look at this place,"
he pointed his spear at the shores in front of the boats. "We don't know what is lying ahead. What we need to do is to find out what we need immediately, in a few months, and in the long term: and after that we should agree on some way to achieve these goals.

"I understand, different beings have different aspirations, and our centaurs are no different. But for now something is pretty clear: We need food, shelter, and defenses, all three at the same time now. We have to abide to the age-old maxim of 'from each according to his ability, to each according to his need', so we can have everything up as fast as possible. As of now, the debate between autocracy and democracy is only of academic interest, something that only the leaftalkers of the day will have interest in."

"Here Ulamo suggest that we agree on this course of action and proposes how your people can help. We centaurs will help with the scouting, hunting, and we can use our bodies to help with the hard work of pulling things around."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 10:51:18 am »

"Who cares about democracy. If the republic tried enforcing every one of it's member states to be republics n their own right there wouldn't be an RMR. That being said, one dictator is a rather sticking point, as it would translate into one of us being given power over the others, which would likely just doom the endeavour as well. If anything, I'm more in line with just formalising what we have already and stick Nejuv here in as an arbitrator. That leaves things as they are without compounding the issue too much and lets us get on with things."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 10:56:51 am »

Richards raises his eyebrow at the orc, but, before he can speak, the other representatives step up and begin to share their own thoughts. Richards manages to weasel his way back into the conversation, however, and manages to get one last word in, not directed at anyone in particular. "People live for ideals. If we take democracy away from them, what will they fight for? We can't just destroy our democracy in the name of "safety." Democracy can survive any stress, as long as the people are willing to defend it."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 10:58:09 am »

"Yeah, and I think the ideal they'd want right now is being able to get off these ships and actually get on with life."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 11:04:28 am »

Throg steps forward letting out a loud bellow to silence the crowds and even the other representatives
"Viceroy i find your suggestion quite appealing to apply to our venture at an later date once we actually have homes and boroughs on the shorelines so we can apply your form of leadership. So I have to once again state that we need a singular leader for these opening stages of development at least for the first week were on shore after that we can apply your peoples democratic principles though democracy is new to us orks and many of my people frown upon it as it gives the weak just as much say as the strong I will support a democratic system once we are established. In regards to the damned horseman though I admire your attempt to get things started but these discussions aren't purely academic they decide the future of this whole damnable enterprise so they must be had"

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 11:05:58 am »

Ulamo have not much love for Rojas the lizard, and his disdain for democracy as a principle is sickening. But then he did made a good point.

"Boat life sucks for everyone. Hear him!"

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:08:49 am »

Throg steps forward and walks towards Richards hefting his axe on his shoulder he stares down at the small human
"Your puny and weak people may strive for such petty ideals as democracy and liberty we orks have never strove for such weak ideas we strive for success, conquest, and strength. So saying people will rise up if you take away there ideals I say no they weren't like all of your kind they will bend there knee and accept there true place in the world."

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:11:46 am »

"Equal vote democracy is not an option. Should I agree my people will be offended that I put them on equal terms with savage races. Note that I have no prejudice toward any of you or any but the same can't be said about most of my people.

Dictatorship is even worse. Should I come back to my people and say that they will obey an orc, then elves will grab their bows and express their disagreement in a violent manner

Instead of making drastic decisions I suggest each of us gaining a single equal vote independent of population or economic strength of any race. There are seven of us. Should four support a decision then it will be taken. It is simple and efficient
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:14:02 am »

Ulamo stood momentarily on his hind legs, swirled his spear, and laughed at the rarely-dwarfed-Orc. "Dear Throg, you are certainly admirable for your tenacity on this. But if anyone decides to forgo any kind of process, agreement, or whatsoever and decides to work only for his own wealth and benefits, we will make sure he is making a pincushion of himself."

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 11:33:29 am »

Throg looks around at the assembled representatives and growls before turning and walking back to the other orks on deck. As he leaves he shouts over his shoulder
"I shall prepare my people for land fall feel free to debate as you wish but i have made my stance known and I will not change it."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6