Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159005 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1927 Design
« Reply #1680 on: August 06, 2015, 04:57:52 pm »

the molotov cocktail is the poor man's incendiary grenade. We can field the rich man version.

also, I know that you had a nice naming scheme, but doing things that way clutters the list. Better to have one name, then a brief description. As far as I understand ranges in this game, specifying 'this one goes 30m, that one 25m' is not that useful. Close range should be enough, we aren't talking about artillery or big guns , usually fielded against each other and for which the exact range matters in determining the output. Grenades are used at close quarters, in ambushes, trenches, etc.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1681 on: August 06, 2015, 05:25:02 pm »

PFFF, FINE.
Spoiler: 1927 (click to show/hide)
Edits. Also put it into spoiler, so I could make it more eye-rapey. Proably going to add even more info, though right now I may finally check who voted on what before. Merged my grenades into one family. I'm also going to use (Mod) suffix to indicate that this is just a minor change to already proposed design, this shouldn't go into the actual name.
EDIT:
Oh my God-Emperor, the search engine is horrible, horrible thing.
EDIT2:
I think I've got everyones votes now. Grenades win so far.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:45:01 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 06, 2015, 05:40:14 pm »

AS-MAT26-50 is the tank destroyed we designed last turn, remove it from the list.

the grenades are now far less spammish, I am going to vote for them ( although I still think all those designations are a bit useless in the context, but they are suitable for flavor).
I still would rather get an RPG, but I don't see it  getting enough votes and this could be a precursor.

Grenades. ( oh, if grenades prove trivial to the engineers and they meet all the goals early, tell them to find a way to deliver them as well. Anything from a big slingshot to a ballistic missile goes)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 06, 2015, 05:48:51 pm »

The grenade idea is an acceptable one. The artillery idea is not. I really can't believe you guys nearly voted for one when we have no immediate need for a new design. Their new artillery just hasn't proven to give them a substantial advantage, not like their tanks or their small arms.

Priority of votes (first, highest): AS-AR27U, AS-RPG7-50, grenades (anti-tank, anti-personnel, Molotov cocktail).

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1684 on: August 06, 2015, 06:00:30 pm »

AS-MAT26-50 is the tank destroyed we designed last turn, remove it from the list.
Uh, well. I removed it now, it was on Aseaheru list but sorry for confusion anyways.
the grenades are now far less spammish, I am going to vote for them ( although I still think all those designations are a bit useless in the context, but they are suitable for flavor).
Flavour is love, flavour is life.
Also I added more votes, based on what people voted or proposed last. Also links to their respective posts, in case we need something cleared up or they add more conditions.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:03:37 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 06, 2015, 06:07:04 pm »

The AS-MAT26-50 is not on my list, the AS-MAT27 (The PIAT 15 ahead of schedule) is.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 06, 2015, 06:07:18 pm »

I will vote for the grenades, hoping that we won't see a repeat of the mine problem.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 06, 2015, 06:10:10 pm »

what mine problem? not being enough?creating only one version?

actually , it seems from descriptions that the mine is helping, although not a game changer. Still, grenades do a lot for our close quarters combat, a field in which we are lacking. We can only hope.

grenades seem to be winning. Nice. I would prefer a good delivery method as well, but as far as compromises go, this is not bad.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1688 on: August 06, 2015, 06:11:03 pm »

The AS-MAT26-50 is not on my list, the AS-MAT27 (The PIAT 15 ahead of schedule) is.
Oh, derp.
You're actually right. I have no idea from where the destroyer got then, very sorry.
EDIT: Grenades are wining by three votes. I guess we know what will win.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:14:11 pm by Kot »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 06, 2015, 06:19:54 pm »

what mine problem? not being enough?creating only one version?

We had 3 or four variants lined up. Got one. It isn't bad, but it's no game changer.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 06, 2015, 06:21:56 pm »

For Revision, we'll want to either cheapen the SMG (yes, I know) or cheapen the turbocharger on our tank. Where we don't cheapen one with Revision, we'll cheapen it with the Expense credit.

Getting the tank cheaper one way or the other is necessary to continue pushing in the Desert. My guess is they'll do the same with their tank so they can push ours. Getting a cheaper tank will also give us an edge in the Jungle, letting us use our motorcycles and cars for increased mobility by paving the way for them.

A cheap SMG combined with grenades would ensure we at least don't lose ground and we might even gain ground. On their own it might not be enough to beat off their combination of cheap SMGs, assault rifles, and GMPGs assuming they Design/Revise something to help them in the Jungle.

I think we should use the Revision phase on the SMG. The SMG is less important than the tank and Revision has a chance of failure, unlike Expense credits. It's necessary that we get cheaper tanks so we'll need to use our Expense credit on it.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:23:46 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: August 06, 2015, 06:27:44 pm »

well, ebbor, that is a matter of luck. We surely have designed more complex things in one design phase ( like, the tank. a new gun, muzzle brake, turret, turbocharger, RHA). No mechanical reason we can't get more than one kind of grenade.

Andres, I like your analysis on the revision and expense credit. That is a plan I am willing to support. Although it means that radio will be beyond our grasp for a while still... we are hitting the point in which it simply is ridiculous to still communicate with motorcycles and flags or something. But tank and SMG are needed here and now.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1692 on: August 06, 2015, 06:32:19 pm »

I approve too. We can never have enough SMGs enough radios (I totally want IP designation in use), and cheaper turbocharges can be used on more things. I will add this to the list somehow.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:35:35 pm by Kot »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 06, 2015, 06:33:51 pm »

For revision we want to take our newly acquired radio and make it so we can use it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: August 06, 2015, 06:35:50 pm »

I must firmly propose we revise the radio Huge advantage, we finally got it, and it'll be a serious waste to simply let it lie around for another small and incremental improvement to our existing capabilities.

Radio allows a smaller force to outnumber a local force.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 217