Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Post-Apocalyptic Soul Eater Game Looking for a Better Name (Full?/5)  (Read 1497 times)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Civilization ended twenty years ago, when Death and the Kishin fought. We don't know what happened, we don't know who won, and we don't know if the world will ever get any better. If it is, though, that's up to us. Weapons, you're Class A; magic users, Class B; anybody else, Class C. Dismissed.
-introductory speech to the New Reformed Following of Death

This is my first game, so formatting could probably be better, but...

Spoiler: The Setting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Any feedback or questions would be welcome.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:39:07 pm by The Ensorceler »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really don't know a lick of anything about soul eater other than that it's a rather gritty anime... how much of an issue would that cause if I wanted to play?
Nom nom nom

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Warning: sheet is informed by minute amounts of Soul Eater TV Tropes page perusal.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@ kilakan: Not much, sort of. Some people can turn into weapons (which can be more or less anything that could concievably be used to hurt someone else), magic tends to have one theme per caster, and the big one, soul... stuff. Souls exist as a glowy blob, with a unique quirk for interesting people. Killing someone intentionally releases their soul, which can be eaten to acquire power, but at the cost of being corrupted. Weapons are unique in that they can eat corrupted souls, and thereby gain power without the corruption issues. Souls can also interact with anything with a frequency, like a musical instrument or voice, an oscillating magnetic field, or another soul. They can also have specific powers like healing, antimagic, an elemental affinity, or whatever.
But just about any idea for a character can be fluffed into this universe without too many changes, so the above things aren't really necessary, except as inspiration.

@Harry Baldman: Pretty good, definitely crazy enough to fit in, but I seem to have forgotten some things in the charsheet. I guess throw hard mechanics into all the abilities and techniques, and tell me if the pistol is single shot, or if it has a clip.

I'll add a few examples of abilities and techniques to the OP.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking you could stat the abs and techs since that'd be a way to guarantee your approval of them. I'm not really sure what the power level here is supposed to be. As an intellectual exercise, I imagine the Mystic Eyes make Jesus much better at destroying objects of wood, Heart of Darkness helps on sanity/willpower rolls, Are You Impressed Yet negates visibility penalties,  TTGBA is a powerful, possibly risky active dodge, MTDM results in massive armor penetration, DCFY lowers an enemy's defenses and maybe buffs allies/debuffs enemies on an immediately resultant kill.

And the pistol, now that I check, ought to be single-shot just like the Steyr HS .50 I based it on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure how good this sheet is. Please let me know if I've done anything wrong, it's rather warm here and my brain's overheating a bit.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Power level is pretty low to start with, and your gun is in all likelihood the strongest weapon anyone will have access to for some time. The reason I don't want to do the abilities and techniques is because they aren't supposed to be balanced. This system is pretty self evidently broken, and to keep character deaths down, the characters have to be broken too. Then I can nerf the abilities/techniques, and people come into their full gamebreaking power later.

@Harry: I think I have to reject A1, unless separated into two abilities/techniques, because staring wood to death and reassembling it into furniture are very different. A2 and A3 are fine. T1 is probably better replaced with a more basic technique that would lead to TtGaBA, possibly with more explanation just why Jesus eats brains. T2 probably would be better off replaced with a straight attack technique that grants armor penetration, instead of the weird limbo between activated and passive its in now. T3 I'd reject outright because it doesn't lead to different techniques; it would be a very nice ability for that very reason, though.

@Yoink: Abilities are the very strongest things you can do, and techniques should be something you could yell the name of while doing, or for stealth, at least think the name loudly. Mostly, those should just be more specific effects, but the lameness of abilities won't get you rejected, just killed pretty quickly.

Also, all starting techniques have a (+2/+0) success bonus, and abilities have (+1/+1) success/effectiveness. These people have some experience, after all.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod

Making a character asap
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Harry: I think I have to reject A1, unless separated into two abilities/techniques, because staring wood to death and reassembling it into furniture are very different. A2 and A3 are fine. T1 is probably better replaced with a more basic technique that would lead to TtGaBA, possibly with more explanation just why Jesus eats brains. T2 probably would be better off replaced with a straight attack technique that grants armor penetration, instead of the weird limbo between activated and passive its in now. T3 I'd reject outright because it doesn't lead to different techniques; it would be a very nice ability for that very reason, though.

I imagine assembling furniture with gunshots part of the ability is sort of a party trick application. It just means that he's as good at assembling furniture with a gun as a regular person would be with their hands. I don't imagine this will be relevant to anything, so I don't see why it poses a problem. And the idea behind the ability itself if the name wasn't enough of a clue is that he can destroy objects of wood through knowledge of their weak points, vastly minimizing the effort required to do so.

The not-quite-playing-dead technique I suppose you could start off as a method of increasing damage resistance to whatever level seems appropriate, negating HP damage. I suppose I put it a bit incorrectly when I said it was a dodge - instead it just allows him to survive blasts, long falls, probably other forms of damage, increasing survivability at the the expense of actually being able to do much. As for why one would eat brains, that would be telling. I'm sure you can come up with a good reason on your own.

Mit Dem Kurzen Gewehr!, meanwhile, is an actual attack technique. A .50 caliber rifle reduced to a pistol would not usually produce very good results, one would think. But when Jesus H. Death gets into the proper stance, adopts the correct pistol hold and maybe, just maybe manages to put in something a little extra maybe he himself isn't aware of, the pistol actually outperforms the rifle in armor penetration. Perhaps it even ignores armor altogether, or potentially could with practice, who knows?

And how is it that the most versatile, branching technique available - using the power of speech to supplement firearm-based assault and murder - doesn't lend itself to expansion? Why, there's room for puns, insults, various kinds of buffs based on methods of execution, supplementation of verbal gymnastics with combat acrobatics for maximum effect, that kind of thing! It's guns plus style: the tech tree!

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay. That all works, then. I'd say the gun would be d8 damage, 20' range without technique boosts. If you could slap stats onto the abilities and techniques, you'd be pretty much done.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile

Spoiler: 2edgy4me (click to show/hide)
I probably got something wrong.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:39:30 pm by Sl4cker »
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Before I stat myself out fully, what the heck is that success/effectiveness talk? I don't think you've explained yet how those differ.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Sl4cker: It works pretty well as a character, so I just need stats on the abilities and techniques. The quirk should be physical, though.

@Harry Baldman: It means that for a (+x/+y) bonus applied to an attack, you get a +x applied to the roll to hit at all ([4] becomes [4+x], and the damage is increased by +y. +y can apply to pretty much any number in the ability or technique, but it can't be changed around after the fact. I don't think you had a quirk, either.
Pages: [1] 2