Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Galaxy Fall [SG] - Tactics: Space "Hulk"  (Read 5098 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Galaxy Fall [SG] - Tactics: Space "Hulk"
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:16:58 am »

Spoiler: Misc Notes (click to show/hide)

The ride to the underground command and control center was an eventful one. As you watched the grim reporter on the cab’s monitor declare the fall of the first Original Colony, you also witnessed the mass protests and riots occurring all along the catwalks and gathering areas that you could see on your route. While inside the WarCom central military base, you saw countless ships full of conscripts rise up into the sky, likely headed to Leoth, where the Prime Fleet may be making its last stand.

The situation at the Command and Control Center of WarCom Operations wasn’t much better. Officers worriedly walked across the hallways, with a sense of despair in their every step as they talked to each other in hushed tones about topics such as the evacuation of Earth. A swipe of your ID card as well as a full retinal scan allows you entry into the Central Operations Room.
Inside the COR, a massive viewtable, perhaps the biggest one you’ve ever seen – bigger than most bridges of ships that you’ve been on, comes into sight. The area above it is filled with colorful and descriptive holograms and displays, each painting a different picture of the war. Numerous officers are hunched over their terminals by the viewtable, manipulating fine details to enhance the view. From the corner of your vision, you see another officer approaching you.

“Welcome to the Central Operations Room, Commander,” he states with a hint of optimism in his voice. “I’m very sorry for the unfortunate death of your mentor, but hopefully your leadership will help us win this war.” He glances down; likely out of some kind of respect for the former Commander of WarCom. “Anyways,” he continues, “The situation isn’t looking very good. With the fall of Antiok, the Prime Fleet is grounded at Leoth for emergency repairs, and the rest of our forces are at Athens. The Prime Fleet is preparing to withdraw with as many evacuees and refugees as possible before Uark forces arrive.”
He pauses for a moment, as if waiting for a reply. Then his eyes suddenly light up, remembering something.
“Oh, I forgot to introduce myself!” He holds out his hand, and you shake hands. Admiral Colth, at your service. I’ll be your Navy Liason as long as you work here.” He takes something out of his pocket and hands it to you. “I noticed your PWCD is the one issued to most in the Marines commanding staff. I've been told to give this one to you. It's mostly configured already. You’ll just need to do some basic stuff. The rest of your briefing is loaded onto it. I’ll let you get to it!”
Gained: Commander PWCD

And with that, Admiral Colth turns around and walks to his station at the viewtable. You're left holding your new wrist-mounted computer in the massive Central Operations Room.
On it, the screen flickers to life:
Retinal scan complete. Welcome, [Commander]. This Personal Wrist Computing Device is equipped with security clearance 10-Y.
For security purposes, please re-enter the following information:
1. Your full name.
2. Your gender.
Once the above has been completed, please choose an answer for each security question:
1.) Where were you born?
a. The outer colonies
b. One of the Original Colonies
c. Earth
2.) What did you specialize in during your time in the military?
a. Tactics
b. Grand Strategy
c. General Expertise

Spoiler: Self (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:49:31 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Fall
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:26 am »

1. Yuenü Jingū
2. Female

1.) b.) Born of the Original Colony, Yomi
2.) Specializing in b.) Grand Strategy

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:45:53 am by evictedSaint »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:32:27 am »

It's a forum game OP ran a while back. Twas good. PTW.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 11:30:32 am »

PTW.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 09:14:39 pm »

Galaxy Rise was a relatively short-lived SG where people controlled the commander of a small.. corvette?
Anyways, it takes place in the occupied remains of the U.E.F., which was an intragalactic republic, after it was conquered by an alien invasion force.
This one is "back in time", basically. Before the events of Galaxy Rise, but it doesn't have to end up as Galaxy Rise.

Going to wait for more actions/character creation stuff, but I'll start anyways in a couple hours regardless.

EDIT:
Also there were two Galaxy Rises. Galaxy Rise I is really the main one, while Galaxy Rise II was an even more ill-fated attempt to restart it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:17:01 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:41:14 am »

Alright then!
evictedSaint, I didn't intend for the specific colony to be chosen, but I'll retconn it into my current mini-lore-thing into a "blank" original colony.
Also, apparently you can resize images with the "change view" button. My life has been changed.

I've removed the "Self" spoiler because it's kind of pointless. If you ever do something yourself, then it'll pop up again. Until now, it'll stay gone. Aaas always, let me know if there's anything wrong with the post.

You enter in the answers matching the ones attached to your personal profile in the database, and the screen lights up as you replace your old PWDR with the new one.
A map of the current campaign area pops up in a hologram above the main display of your PWDR.

The map is fairly self explanatory. It displays your current movable fleets and original colonies, as well as known hyperspace routes. A white dot represents an important solar system (in this case, a solar system containing an Original Colony), a red dot signifies an Original Colony occupied by Uark forces, and green dots signify available fleets.

You're about to continue before being interrupted by another officer. "Commander! Argus Smith. I'm the Central Intelligence liaison to Warcom. I'll be reporting to you for the foreseeable future. Central Intelligence has always prid-"
Before he can continue, Colth looks up from his terminal."We know, Smith. You can save that for later. We should really brief the commander."
"What about the Marines liaison?"
"He won't have much to say. He'll arrive by the time we're ready for him. Just start now."
"Alright, then. This way, Commander." mutters Smith as he gestures towards a smaller viewtable. Colth inputs a few things in the terminal and starts talking.

"Alright, Commander. As you know, we lost Antiok yesterday. The Prime Fleet managed to get a serious dent into the Uark Invasion Fleet, but was heavily damaged in the fight." announces Colth. A hologram of the latest images from Antiok arrive. They paint a bleak situation with the representations of bombarded cities as well as amateur videos from civilians recording the invasion. "Luckily we were able to retreat all of the surviving forces to Leoth, where the Prime Fleet is now grounded for repairs. We were originally hoping to retreat the Prime Fleet to Athens and regroup all our remaining assets there." He taps something on his terminal and 3d representations of the defense mechanisms at Athens are brought into view. "Athens is the only way for the Uarks to get to Earth, and we're actually rather lucky to have considerable ground to orbit defense stations positioned around the planet. But even with it, a battle with the Uarks at Athens will likely result in another U.E.F. retreat."
"Now," begins Smith, "Central Intelligence has been trying to find signs of resistance cells on Antiok. Usually, in large planets like Antiok, the Uarks do a single show of force and put the rest of the planet under martial law. This is, in our opinion, the biggest flaw in the Uark's battle plan. We're hoping to contact any resistance cells to aid us somehow. But we don't have enough resources to dedicate to the task to do it in enough time. If you could authorize more fun-"
Smith is interrupted by the Admiral again. "I think the Commander knows that, Argus." he says with a small sign of annoyance on his face. "Anyways, since the Army liaison isn't here yet, I'll speak for him. Commander, it's obvious at this point that our ground forces and Marines straight up perform better than our navy's ships in similiar conditions. We have five marine battallions ready for action, and enough transports for all of them. Just make sure they don't die on the way to their destination."
"Keep in mind that while our soldiers do perform better, we don't have that many. The army has been reinforcing its ranks with conscripts and volunteers from the militias, but it's not enough to counter the Uarks."
"And with that, your briefing is over. Smith and I are sending a combined list of your assets to you right now."
The Admiral hits something on his PWCD and walks back to the main viewtable, while Smith retreats to the corners of the room to converse with some people from Central Intelligence.

Various notifications pop up on your PWCD. One is the list of assets, which you download and dismiss, but the other is also important:

Funding
WarCom has received 10,000 "credits" in funding this period. As the commander of Warcom, you also handle abstract funding management for the various arms and appendages of the U.E.F. military. You can distribute the funds in any way you want to the following:
Funds Available: 10,000 credits.

Central Intelligence - Funds assigned to CI will allow Central Intelligence to conduct more detailed investigations at a quicker space. It may even allow new capabilities!
Public Relations - Funds assigned to Public Relations will greatly help your relations with the Civilians and the Executive Branch. If you neglect this, you may have a hard time gathering support.
Shipyard Manufacturing - Shipyard Manufacturing is used for the creation of new ships. Don't expect results immediately, but combined with the R&D department, you can get a lot of help from this.
R&D - R&D is, while very important, not as important as you may expect. Don't expect new breakthroughs every period, but a funded R&D department can turn the tide of the war.
Marines/Army - Spend funds to help influence navy battles as boarding parties do their thing, and to determine the fate of battles on the ground.
Any Planet -
This is more of an "optional" choice, considering defense agencies receive their funding independently, but you can divert funds to a planet's defensive efforts to help with battles involving that planet.

You think about what to do next. Central Intelligence reports that that Uark forces will invade Leoth in 3-7 periods. You should decide on a (series of) course(s) of action before then. Of course, you can always consult an officer or your PWCD for more information if you desire.

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relations/Politics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:00:08 am by Chiefwaffles »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 08:16:34 am »

We need to use a bunch of funding for PR, then some more for the defense of the planet to be attacked! We should also rally all our troops to it.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 08:22:19 am »

How many periods do we expect it to be before Prime fleet is fully operational, and if the marine battalions all left for Leoth now, how long would it take them to arrive?

Finally, how long does Central Intelligence expect the Uarks to hold off before attacking Leoth?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 05:25:41 pm »

Without looking from his terminal, Colth comments "With the current scope of the campaign, We should be able to send a battalion of marines anywhere you wish within one period, with some time left over."
Inquiring Smith as to the impending invasion of Leoth yields a valid answer as well. "Well," he states, turning away from his other CI buddies, "As I said, we should expect to see their forces at Leoth anywhere from 3 to 7 periods."
"I thought you said they were going to attack Antiok, pal."
Smith briefly looks surprised, but his expression quickly returns to normal before continuing. "No, I'm fairly sure I said Leoth. Why would they even attack Antiok? They're already occupying it."
"Sure, okay." Says Colth. You swear you can almost see him roll his eyes?
The two officers briefly scowl at each other before returning to their previous tasks.
((Woops. Meant to put Leoth instead of Antiok in the ETA thingy last post. Going to edit that now.)

EDIT: Oh, and I may as well do some unneeded clarification as to the planned gameplay for GF.
I'm going for a combination of the overhead management (like how it seems to be headed - funding, movement of fleets, etc.) and mission-type stuff. By "mission-type stuff" I mean things like managing the occasional group as they do some important mission. Whether it's marines, officers, spaceships, etc.

Now that I think about it, it's actually vaguely similar to XCOM. Especially given your title.

DOUBLEEDIT: Repairs to Prime Fleet will be done completely in 4 periods.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:33:24 pm by Chiefwaffles »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »

R&D, Manufacturing and Public Relations seem most important right now, we can not win the war with our current fleet, at best we can slow them down.

If we can get the general population back on our side with propaganda and fund intelligence we can use Leoth and Antioch to tie up their forces with a counter insurgency. 

Enough intelligence and popular support and we can maybe take over planetary matters.. directly... and bring about more resources to the war.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Fall [SG]
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:02:19 am »

If we were to have all five marine battalions and all three fleets engage the Uark Invasion Fleet together, what are our odds?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 10:04:23 pm »

Still waiting for more input, but I'll continue regardless at some point late-ish tomorrow. Some time in two days. (Editing this post a day after the posting to avoid another post. I'll wait another day for conclusions. If nothing happens, I'll just compile the "brainstorming" posts.)

Colth stares up at you from his terminal, dumbfounded. "Uh, sir?" He says. "If the odds were respectable, we would have been done with this war a long time ago. If we were to throw all our assets at the Invasion Fleet right now, we could definitely make an extreme dent into the invasion fleet, but they could still easily take our planets afterwards. Planetary defenses or otherwise. We need a plan that isn't straight up brute force to actually have a chance."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:26:31 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 03:34:09 am »

I expected as much, I just wanted to understand how outmatched we were.

I have a plan then, but I'll let the other parts of our fractured mind comment on it before we actually voice it aloud. Move out Marine Battalions to Athens, drop off the marines then continue their transports on to Leoth with Secondary and Tertiary. Then all the fleets assist in evacuating everyone we can off of Leoth and back to Athens.

Meanwhile, we put effort into PR so we don't get screwed over (and maybe get to requisition colonial marines/ships), R&D/Ship Building to up our combat effectiveness and finally pour a load of money into defences for Athens. Naturally we should have a small amount in all avenues as well, so that we don't unwittingly screw ourselves.

If we can make requests of Central Intelligence, I'd ask them if they can stall the Uark advance.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 11:06:14 pm »

I had to guess exact numbers for funding based off of what was said, so I'd appreciate it if even during brainstorming, you could include exact figures for funding. And for other people to voice support of funding proposals. It's not fun coming up with the exact numbers based off of general thoughts of multiple people.

I also just realized I said the Prime Fleet was repairing at Antiok in the assets spoiler. Woops! I'll edit that out soon after this post.

EDIT: Just realized "Have you seen this, commander? The other operation we signed off on has been a massive success. The virus we had that operative upload onto the ship was a massive success".
Fixed that. I should proofread more.

You finish allocating the funding and immediately start to see tremendous effects in the departments. You remind yourself that funding is fairly simple. Unless the available funding options will change, your funding will stay as it is and the effects will stay the same until you change the funding. However, you can change the funding whenever you like. Just keep in minds it usually takes a period for effects to appear.

Additionally, if you want, you can always specify where you want funding to go when creating a new funding plan. This will change what kind of effects you'll see from your funding. Like for instance, whether you want increased funding to Manufacturing going to better ship quality, or to faster ship production speed.
Keep in mind that while funding affects how well a department performs, you'll still have to order the departments around to do anything.

Period 1

“In a press conference today, a spokesperson of the U.E.F. War Command agency has stated that thanks to collaboration with the citizens and government of Leoth, a full evacuation is expected to be completed within the upcoming weeks. In addition, the spokesperson has also denied allegations of military influence in the recent Antiok massacre. In other news …”
You slowly stop paying attention to the news feed in one of the viewtable terminals as a very angry-looking Smith approaches you.

“As I’m sure you’ve already heard, Commander, Central Intelligence may have experienced a setback at Antiok.” He says. “We weren’t planning for the team of agents planted there to start a full-scale rebellion.”
“As a result,” he continues, “the occupation forces there massacred an extreme amount of civilians overall and have tightened security. We may have a harder time with CI operations there.”
Colth starts walking in from the entrance and tosses you a datapad which you barely catch. On it, it shows a debriefing of some kind of Central Intelligence operation.
Colth asks “Have you seen this, commander? The other operation we signed off on has been a massive success. The virus we had that operative upload onto the ship fared even better than expected.. In addition to overloading every single hyperdrive in the Uark Invasion Fleet, we somehow changed the rank of every Uark military member to ‘Admiral’. We’re probably going to have some more time for the invasion.”
Smith sighs and looks back at his PWCD and taps a few things. After that, he looks back at you. "Commander, I've sent you the summaries of each report to your PWCD. Let me know if you need anything else from Central Intelligence."

After Smith walks away, Colth continues speaking to you. "I'd like to remind you, Commander, that unless you directly order our departments around, they'll mostly be in a 'passive' kind of mode. Such as Public Relations. Unless you give them orders like 'Please make purple the new red', they'll just sit in their cubicles and only try to make the public like your other endeavors."
And with that, Smith walks away, back to his terminal.

Central Intelligence Operations:
Operation "Angry Dawn"
Mission: To start guerrilla operations against Uark occupation forces in Antiok.
A team of operatives inadvertently incited a full-scale rebellion against the Uark soldiers stationed at Antiok. It looked like it was going surprisingly well at first, but Uark reinforcements quickly arrived and put the rebellion down. Extreme amounts of civilian lives were lost as a result. Both the Executive branch and the civilian populace are rather angry at WarCom as a result.
In addition, further security measures are now present at Antiok, making further CI operations in an Uark-occupied Antiok at least a bit more difficult.
Effects: Penalty to CI operations in Antiok, -1 to Civilian and Executive Branch relations.
Operation "Blue Messenger"
Mission: Delay the Uark invasion forces on their way to Leoth.
An operative previously planted on one of the ships in the Uark Primary Invasion Fleet was able to upload a virus that caused every hyperdrive in the Uark fleet to overload. However, the virus had a rather amusing side effect - it appears that every single member in the Uark military has been set to an "Admiral" rank in the Uarks' computer systems.
Effects: +3 periods to length of time until Uark Invasion of Leoth.
Operation "Deathly Orbit"
Mission: Prepare Leoth for CI operations after Uark occupations.
Central Intelligence was successful in planting numerous agents and supply stashes across Leoth in preparation for operations after occupation.
Effects: Bonus to CI operations in Leoth, post occupation.

Funding Report:
The funding as chosen is here:
Central Intelligence: 7%
Public Relations: 20%
Manufacturing: 20%
Research and Development: 20%
Marines/Army: 8%
Athens: 13%
Other Planets: 5% to Leoth, 2% to Earth,Asiom,Yomi

Public Relations is now much more effective overall thanks to increased funding.
Manufacturing, thanks to the increased funding, was able to prepare new facilities and crew. Attempts at repairing should now fare better, and manufacturing of ships should go a decent bit faster.
Research and Development will now have much better luck at general R&D due to the new faculty hired by the increased funding.
Athens has invested further in ground to orbital defense platforms and will fare better in that category in the future.

Public Relations Report:
Thanks to the PR department, the evacuation of Leoth is seen positively by both citizens and the Executive branch. The same goes very much so for the amassing of forces at Athens. However, they were only narrowly able to avoid a negative reaction to what appears to be the abandoning of Leoth by the military.
Effects: +1 to Executive relations, +2 to Civilian relations.

Fleet Report:
Prime Fleet was sent to Athens by orders of the Senate to continue repairs there. Unfortunately the facilities and crew at Athens were unprepared for a fleet as giant as the Prime Fleet. Thanks to the increase in funding, they were able to just narrowly avoid disaster, luckily.
Prime Fleet is repairing at Athens. ETC: 8 periods.

Secondary Fleet and the Tertiary Support Fleet were both ordered to assist in the evacuation of Leoth to Athens, with the aid of the Marine Battalions' transports. The fleets didn't seem well prepared to hold many refugees, but thanks to the addition of the transports from the marines' fleet, they were able to hold much more.
Secondary/Tertiary Support Fleets (and the transports for the Marines) are all evacuating civilians from Leoth to Athens. ETC: 3 periods.

Army/Marines Report:
Every battalion of marines was stationed at Athens with no problem, and the transports are now helping the fleets evacuate Leoth.
All marines stationed at Athens; Marine Transports assisting the evacuation of Leoth. ETC: 3 periods.

Central Intelligence reports the invasion of Leoth will likely happen in 5-7 periods.

Spoiler: Campaign Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Funding (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relations/Politics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:43:50 am by Chiefwaffles »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 08:26:54 am »

That went fairly well I think. Funding distribution is pretty good, I'd pull the funding from Leoth and put it into Athens though.

Ask if it would be possible for tertiary fleet and CI to collaborate on some hit and run strikes on isolated parts of the Uark fleet at Antiok and later Leoth. Focus is receiving minimal damage and slowing the enemy fleet over doing damage themselves. And for CI, how many missions can we expect to have completed per turn, or is that based on funding?

Some direction for our other assets:
Public Relations - Focus on maintaining our relationship with Executive Branch, and improving our relationship with the Civilians.
Manufacturing - Focus on getting the Prime Fleet fully operational.
Research and Development - Focus on improving the performance and survivability of our marine transports.
Marines - Transports keep going. Marines assist training the local militias.

My general plan, if people haven't guessed, is to slow down the Uarks as long as possible whilst we prepare for a massive space battle at Athens. This battle will pretty much the war.

Finally, how long is a period?
Pages: [1] 2 3