Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: You are a dragon awakening from slumber, the suggestion game, Update #18 Huzzah!  (Read 21925 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: You are a dragon awakening from slumber, the suggestion game, Update #16
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2016, 04:08:53 pm »

If those jets are literally F15 Eagles then we're screwed because of all the air-to-air missiles they have, and especially with the Heatseeking missiles. However, as it is Britain it is most likely going to be a Harrier Jump Jet, which is a MUCH better chance of us surviving. If we were facing a French Mirage then we would win hands-down (Sorry all ye frenchies, but the Mirage is such an ugly plane)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2016, 05:57:10 pm »

If those jets are literally F15 Eagles then we're screwed because of all the air-to-air missiles they have, and especially with the Heatseeking missiles. However, as it is Britain it is most likely going to be a Harrier Jump Jet, which is a MUCH better chance of us surviving. If we were facing a French Mirage then we would win hands-down (Sorry all ye frenchies, but the Mirage is such an ugly plane)

We do have the advantage that we can just take our ball and go home underwater.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2016, 05:57:41 pm »

Would you guys be more specific? Some of the suggestions that are being upvoted are self-contradicting. Others aren't even statements about what to do.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2016, 06:07:08 pm »

Well, we saw what it is. And we don't have to fight it if we don't want, so let's go back to Sophie and be a good pet owner and feel like we're becoming a crazy person dragon like in the jokes.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2016, 06:13:08 pm »

Go back to Sophie, feed her and ourselves, ask about the hawk vehicles, then get on the phone with the coast guardian and demand he get his hawk vehicles out of the sky.  Maybe try and ransom Sophie?  Might be able to get some food or treasure?

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:31 pm »

Ransom our precious Sophie? Are you craycray? she's out pet damnit! what kind of owner are we to ransom our pet away so easily like that?

But we definitely should go back to her, ask her about the hawk vehicle and talk with the Coast Guards some more and politely ask if they could have the hawks fuck off after they're done looking for the wreckage, because the buzzing is giving us a headache and they won't like us when we have a headache.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2016, 10:09:24 pm »

Still haven't looked up standard ordinances or the like, but our odds of being able to tank missiles aren't terrible. Solid stone is pretty soft to us, after all, and they're designed to wreck steel and titanium aircraft, not bore through solid rock.

That said, testing our limits under more controlled circumstances would be nice, since if they can wreck us also we'd pretty much be screwed.

So for clarity and consensus' sake, let's return to eating and feeding Sophie, congratulate her on evading us, ask her about the hawks, if they're human flying machines, how strong and tough they are, how many of them there are, and what the humans would start sending after us if we take them out.

After that... I dunno. I'd like to work on our pet transportation problem (moving boxes, buildings), but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to test ourselves against something to give us a better idea of how we'd fare in battle, but I'm not sure how to plausibly do that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2016, 12:36:03 am »

After that tell Sophie that we demand to speak to their ruler.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2016, 01:16:10 am »

We probably don't want to speak to her ruler until we're familiar enough with our respective strengths to know where we stand. I mean, what would we say? "Get rid of your hawks which bother me even though I can totally take them honest?"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2016, 02:45:45 am »

Return to Sophie

avoid confrontation

Observe and return to finish the meal. And find Sophie.
learn more and eat, hide for now until we know more about these things
Go back to Sophie, feed her and ourselves, ask about the hawk vehicle
we definitely should go back to her, ask her about the hawk
let's return to eating and feeding Sophie,
Caution is key

Keeping to the water line, you turn around and begin flying back to the cow enclosure. During your entire flight, Sophie is nowhere to be seen. That's encouraging. It means she's considerably more capable than most 'my beloveds' from your era. Intelligent and self-sufficient creatures make better pets than helpless ones. Also, swiveling your ears back a few times to monitor the situation behind you, you gather that the hawk machines are staying in the same general area while continuing to engage in regular hisses back and forth.

Arriving at the cows, it seems that the one you released earlier has meandered back to the enclosure, and is frantically mooing at the others, trying to get back in. Foolish creature. Had it not succumbed to its prey-animal herding instinct, it could have escaped into the night. Instead, seeking the safety of a cage, it will die.

You snatch the cow up in one hand and bite its head off, crunching thoughtfully. Cows seek safety in numbers. Sometimes, to their benefit. A solitary predator fully capable of downing a single prey animal might be reluctant to approach an entire herd of them. And while pack hunters will often attack a herd, they generally do so by separating individuals. The slow, the young, the injured, the weak, and then allow the strong and swift to escape. Even if their numbers offer little protection to any individual, the herd itself lives on. An apex predator like yourself, however, will simply take what it wants. The herd offers no protection.

Two more bites and only the hind quarter remains. You tear off one leg in your jaws and leave the other for Sophie.

Humans are an unusual case. They like to herd, as do cattle. Yet occasionally they are predators.You have seen them hunt many things, in both sea and air, as well as on land. And occasionally they are prey. You've seen creatures besides dragons that hunt humans. Wolves and rocs, among others. And yet sometimes humans are difficult to describe via the predator/prey dynamic at all. These cows, for instance, are presumably being fed and cared for by a human. A human who keeps them caged, keeps the other predators away, and then uses them himself. For food, for milk. Were they sheep they might be used for wool. Horses, for pulling carts or even to carry them into battle. That's certainly not prey behavior, but it isn't exactly predator behavior either. It is a behavior that deserves its own name. 'Human' behavior.

Indeed, while they are weak and soft and nearly blind and deaf, humans are unique in many ways. They try to improve upon their deficiencies. They're intelligent, like leviathans and dolphins. They use tools, like otters and ravens. They build lairs, like beavers and ants...

...and like dragons.

The resemblance does not escape you. Your keeping of Sophie is very much like how humans keep animals as well. Humans are not dragons. But they're more like dragons than nearly any other creature you know. Only cats come closer.

You scorch what remains of the cow and carry it in one hand. Humans prefer their meat cooked. You smell no alcohol nearby, but perhaps you can use use the map on her cellphone to find some for her. In the meantime, meat will do. You take to the sky, noting that you're unable to make out the flying hawks from your current distance, and return to the spot you left Sophie on the beach.

You smell her trail, of course, before you land, but briefly check the pilot to confirm that he is still unbreathing and unmoving. He also seems to be in a different position than you left him. Presumably Sophie attempted to wake him to join in her flight. The herding instinct. At least she had the wisdom to flee rather than remain with only a lifeless body for company.

Flying a short distance in the direction from which her scent comes, it takes only a few landings and takeoffs before her scent begins to diminish. Scanning your ears around, you hear her struggling to control her breath from a tree a short distance away.

A short hop lands you at her tree.

congratulate her on evading us,

: "A COMMENDABLE ESCAPE ATTEMPT. COME, I HAVE BROUGHT YOU MEAT."

She lets out an anguished whine and climbs down from her tree.

: "How'd you find me?"

: "BY YOUR SMELL."

Her mouth opens and close as few times.

: "I say, rude much?"

You drop the cow leg at her feet.

: "EAT."

: "Is that the back end of a cow?"

: "YOU REQUESTED MEAT."

She pokes at it and rubs her fingers together distastefully.

: "Ewww! It's raw."

You pick up the leg and inspect it. It is not raw. The outside is lightly charred. The inside near the bone is moist and bleeding. This is how your previous human companions have preferred it, but perhaps human tastes have changed since your time. It's difficult to cleanly cut something so small and delicate as a cow leg, but by poking a single talon through the center and flicking outward you're able to more or less cleave it open. Deliberately holding back air to keep your flame cool, you delicately bathe the meat, rocking it back and forth through your breath.

: "SATISFIED?"

She blinks.

: "Yes. Thank you."

ask her about the hawks

: "THERE ARE A PAIR OF FLYING MACHINES STALKING US. UNLIKE THE-"

: "Ow, hot!"

Sophie drops a piece of cow meat and blows on her hand. You continue.

: "UNLIKE THE HELICOPTER, THESE ARE SLENDER, WITH WINGS THAT DO NOT BEAT. THEY BEHAVE AS PREDATORS HUNTING IN A PACK."

Sophie pulls off another piece of meat and begins chewing on it.

: "Helicopters don't have wings."

That is not what you asked.

: "They have rotors. They're metal blades. They don't flap, they spin."

That does describe what you saw rather well. Though you're uncertain what benefit there would be to such an arrangement.

: "AND THE HUNTERS?"

: "Airplanes? Fighter jets maybe?"

Flying machines that fight. It seems your suspicions were correct.

: "OF WHAT ARE THEY CAPABLE?"

: "Well, they fly fast and shoot missiles."

: "LIKE CROSSBOWS?"

: "Hahaha," she laughs. "No, like missiles. Explosives wrapped in metal. Heat-seeking, probably."

: "WHAT IS EXPLOSIVES?"

She peers at you out of the corner of her eye.

: "When are you from, again?"

: "ANSWER THE QUESTION."

She sighs.

: "Explosives. Rapidly expanding gases pushing bits of metal shrapnel. The explosives themselves are chemicals that...well, explode. And that causes the metal of the missile to break up into itty bitty pieces that shred through anything."

You attempt to wrap your mind around this strange method of attack. The wind can move objects, of course. And a swiftly moving object can cause harm. To put air inside a metal box and cause that air to blow so hard as to rupture the box with enough force that the pieces of metal become tiny claws, rending an opponent to pieces. You are able to conceive of how such a thing could be. Yes, the concept seems utterly alien. But you think you understand it.

: "THE RESULT OF THIS MISSILE WOULD BE AN ATTACK THAT TRAVELS IN ALL DIRECTIONS."

: "Yes," she shrugs.

: "AND THESE MISSILES, THEY ARE THROWN FROM THE FIGHTER AND SEEK HEAT?"

: "Mmm-hmm."

So your fiery breath might attract them. Good to know.

: "YOU SAY THESE FIGHTERS 'FLY FAST.' HOW FAST?"

: "I don't know," she shrugs. "Supersonic at least. I couldn't tell you what mach number."

: "SUPERSONIC."

: "Yeah. You know, faster than sound?"

That gives you pause. Sound does travel, you know this. Thunder is delayed more, the further you are from lightning. Clearly sound travels. Having flown to the point where lightning has struck, you even have a sense for how quickly it must travel. Sound is faster than you are. Considerably faster, even. And these fighter airplanes are at least that fast? Perhaps faster?

You gaze into Sophie's face seeking signs of deception. You see none.

: "HOW DURABLE IS THEIR ARMOR?"

She frowns.

: "Armor? I don't know, but I wouldn't exactly call a plane armored. I mean, that's just not how they work, I don't think. I think they're supposed to be able to take hits from guns as long as the bullets don't hit anything important like the pilot. I think they just sort of poke holes and it doesn't hurt them all that much. That's what the missiles are for. They blow the whole thing up."

A machine with no delicate organs, except one: the pilot. Kill the pilot and the machine dies with it.

If you can catch it.

What do you do?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: You are a dragon awakening from slumber, the suggestion game, Update #17
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2016, 03:15:32 am »

One thing to do is to think a way to catch something faster than us. And there's really only one way to do that. Catch it unaware.
1. Be where it goes and "jump" on it.
2. Approach it from direction it cannot see us from, for example from direction of sun. Sun will blind it.
3. Attack when it rests.

First option is difficult without knowing how they behave, though we could set up a bait. Second one works only on clear day. I think we should pursue the third option. Find where they rest and then destroy them. Or do something else entirely.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2016, 04:53:43 am »

We should also realize that they are still what they are, a Machine. If the Pilot can not see us, then surely the machine can not respond to us either, right?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2016, 05:11:13 am »

Hmmmmm. I feel like we should start trying to establish a lair, but with eyes everywhere and instantaneous communication it's going to be difficult to properly "hide" from humans. Sophie's hard to move and probably isn't going to be happy without someplace to hide from the elements in, though. I still say we should start experimenting with those moving light boxes or the materials they're making buildings out of to make a pet carrying box, but I'm not too sure what to do about the lair situation.

I'm a little loathe to point it out now, since I'm not sure it's a priority now, but there is an obvious potential solution to our hawk problem. Newer human crossbow equivalents are probably not terribly accurate, but humans are mostly blind in the first place. If we could get our claws on one and actually manipulate the thing, we might not need to fully catch the hawks if we were good enough to snipe out the pilots. It'd probably take us a few tries to get the hang of it and the device might just not work out for whatever reason (too flimsy, not enough power, cannot manipulate at all at that size), but it'd be a better solution than shrugging and accepting that we can never catch them unless they're careless.

That said, maybe we should just ask Sophie about human governance and response to dragons. That might have changed as much as anything else, and knowing what the humans think and how they'll react might be essential to planning our next move. Though if they have any kind of standardized response, it's a bit odd that she's never mentioned it in any of the contexts in which we've asked her.

In more immediate terms, we might want to ask Sophie where to find alcohol for her, and confirm what kind of shelter she needs, if any. I'm assuming most of our other pets just stayed in our lairs with us, but we don't have (a secure) one of those to keep her in at the moment.

Totally unrelated to anything at all: Can we speak Leviathan?

We should also realize that they are still what they are, a Machine. If the Pilot can not see us, then surely the machine can not respond to us either, right?
Didn't we figure out that they can take pictures from space? Their machines might let them see us better than they can normally.

Which is admittedly like saying a snail might be able to go faster in some way, but still.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2016, 05:45:33 am »

Hmmmmm. I feel like we should start trying to establish a lair, but with eyes everywhere and instantaneous communication it's going to be difficult to properly "hide" from humans. Sophie's hard to move and probably isn't going to be happy without someplace to hide from the elements in, though. I still say we should start experimenting with those moving light boxes or the materials they're making buildings out of to make a pet carrying box, but I'm not too sure what to do about the lair situation.

I'm a little loathe to point it out now, since I'm not sure it's a priority now, but there is an obvious potential solution to our hawk problem. Newer human crossbow equivalents are probably not terribly accurate, but humans are mostly blind in the first place. If we could get our claws on one and actually manipulate the thing, we might not need to fully catch the hawks if we were good enough to snipe out the pilots. It'd probably take us a few tries to get the hang of it and the device might just not work out for whatever reason (too flimsy, not enough power, cannot manipulate at all at that size), but it'd be a better solution than shrugging and accepting that we can never catch them unless they're careless.

That said, maybe we should just ask Sophie about human governance and response to dragons. That might have changed as much as anything else, and knowing what the humans think and how they'll react might be essential to planning our next move. Though if they have any kind of standardized response, it's a bit odd that she's never mentioned it in any of the contexts in which we've asked her.

In more immediate terms, we might want to ask Sophie where to find alcohol for her, and confirm what kind of shelter she needs, if any. I'm assuming most of our other pets just stayed in our lairs with us, but we don't have (a secure) one of those to keep her in at the moment.

Totally unrelated to anything at all: Can we speak Leviathan?

Didn't we figure out that they can take pictures from space? Their machines might let them see us better than they can normally.

Which is admittedly like saying a snail might be able to go faster in some way, but still.

+1 Yes to all of this, ALL OF IT!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2016, 05:56:36 am »

Also ask if she knows what other dragons are doing.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14