Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves consuming like locusts now?  (Read 2632 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Dwarves consuming like locusts now?
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:38:37 am »

Has anyone else experienced a significant increase in food/booze consumption of late?  I haven't dealt with an actual shortage of provisions since I last attempted a Glacier, yet in the new version I find myself regularly falling short during the first few years.  I don't think I have enough Guests to account for the massive reduction of supplies, so I'm rather at a loss as to the cause.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves consuming like locusts now?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:59 pm »

Now that alcohol has an associated syndrome, they're getting the booze hungers. Ravaging your roasts and stews in an inebriated frenzy is just one of many consequences!

In all seriousness, I noticed this too. I think it might just be the absence of workflow for me.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:06:16 pm »

Double post because mobile nonsense
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:07:59 pm by Ysyua »
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 02:21:04 pm »

I believe the cause might be that Dwarves have innately slightly higher values for immoderation or whichever the personality value is on average, and with the new needs system in 42.xx, they eat more to satisfy their needs.

So yes, they're a bunch of greedy little fatsos who're devouring all your food 'cause they can.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:42:43 pm »

Yes, they're definitely drinking more, and others have also noted they eat more. In 0.40.24 I started running out of booze during the winter with the standard embark ration and no brewing. Now I ran out during the autumn with 2+3 migrants in the two first waves, a during late summer with a normally sized first wave.

Not that it's a problem normally, but with a challenge you may need to know the new constraints.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:57:27 pm »

Gonna have to check and see how many of my dwarves are belarded.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 04:21:41 pm »

ive been having trouble with booze, i went and got a second still and another dwarf brewing, 2 legendary brewers can hold my fort of 200+ atm

as for food, well i have whats called "plumphelmetitus" its where you have thousands of plump helmets spewing out of every barrel in your fort

i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 04:28:59 pm »

I think dwarves eat/drink about 2-3 times as much now as before. Not that it's an unwelcome change, I've always suffered from an overabundance of food.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:13 pm »

It's still not as much of a problem as it would be if the game was realistic. 4 to 9 times a season? Pfft. Three times a day would be horrible!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 06:13:47 pm »

It's still not as much of a problem as it would be if the game was realistic. 4 to 9 times a season? Pfft. Three times a day would be horrible!
Dwarves have mastered the art of bulimia, where they simply eat a massive amount at once and then digest it over a period of days. That's why they vomit so much when they get sick - the food is all still there, undigested.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 07:47:22 am »

I am 99% sure that any change in consumption is because food has moved from a simple formula to a more complex personality and need based thing which means they all eat different and I'll drink different I'm pretty sure... Plus taverns I think when they're in taverns they just drink for the hell of it

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22:39 am »

I think dwarves eat/drink about 2-3 times as much now as before. Not that it's an unwelcome change, I've always suffered from an overabundance of food.
Yes, after multitrees came, one herbalist and one brewer would generate more food/booze then 100 fort needed. Now I got to 75 dwarves and herbalist+2 fisherdwarves+brewer seem to be fast enough only to maintain the level of food stocks. No tavern yet.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 02:34:09 pm »

I just ran out of booze.  So I made more, and tried to closely watch what happened to it.

They are quaffing the booze.  The little bastards are quaffing it!

"Quaffing is like drinking, but you spill more."  -- Terry Pratchett.

The worst thing to me is, I suggested this back in 2008.  Now I regret it.

Hmm, I figured out one thing.  I saw a bard put away a goblet.  While it was still full of beer.  Now the empty goblet is inside a chest, and there is a pool of beer in the chest's tile.

The other chest in this tavern is sitting in 13 distinct pools of booze.

That doesn't explain the pools of booze in and around the tavern's booze stockpile, though.

Hmm, I saw my legendary clothier standing over a pot of dwarven wine while holding a goblet containing rye beer.  He stood there quite a while, then walked away to listen to poetry.  His three current thoughts are:
  • He feels euphoric due to inebriation.
  • He is annoyed after having a drink without using a goblet, cup or mug.
  • He is delighted after watching a performance.
And he's still holding that goblet, and it still contains rye beer.

I think he drank directly out of that pot.  While holding a full goblet.

Gaah!

I caught it again.  Some Urist drank out of a pot of blackberry wine while holding a a full goblet of fisher berry wine and a full goblet of cassava beer.  And now he's annoyed.

Then he walked off to store a library book.  He's still holding both full goblets.

Taverns aren't working.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 02:44:13 pm »

Another thing I've noticed: Dwarves will pick up pots of booze, get distracted, and start carrying them around all the time. Same with mugs.

I'm countering that second problem by just making thousands of gold goblets. I mean, I have the gold, eventually every dwarf will be carrying so many goblets they won't be able to pick up any more.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 02:55:14 pm »

Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)
Pages: [1] 2