Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are the criteria for visitors to be worthy of a burial?  (Read 6442 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are the criteria for visitors to be worthy of a burial?
« on: December 25, 2015, 07:14:08 am »

I've had a few fighter visitor deaths in my fortress, and only one of those has been buried. Why are they treated differently?

The buried fighter was a dorf who couldn't hold his liquor. In addition to that 4 fighters died during the goblin siege, 3 of them while entering the map, and one while trying to leave, and at least one of those was a dorf. None of the visitors had applied for residency, so that shouldn't be a factor.
In all of the cases the burial receptacles were build after the bodies had been hauled to the corpse stockpile (i.e. I didn't make any new ones until after the siege and after I had recovered the bodies of the suicidal fighters. Obviously, the ones made remain empty).

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the criteria for visitors to be worthy of a burial?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 07:34:02 am »

I think, if the dwarves are needing or leaving they don't count to 'population' for burial assignments.  But while they're partying on in your town, they do.

Curiously, in other weirdness, I've just had a goblin visitor get hammered for a production order violation in my fort, but I can't release him from the restraint / cage afterwards because the crime is 'owned' by his parent jurisdiction, not the fort that levied it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 08:04:56 am »

I think, if the dwarves are needing or leaving they don't count to 'population' for burial assignments.  But while they're partying on in your town, they do.

Curiously, in other weirdness, I've just had a goblin visitor get hammered for a production order violation in my fort, but I can't release him from the restraint / cage afterwards because the crime is 'owned' by his parent jurisdiction, not the fort that levied it.
Do put that on Mantis with a save, if you can
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 09:06:00 am »

Best engrave slabs for them anyway, in case of ghosts.

The last thing you want is to be haunted by the ghost of a wagon.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 12:04:01 pm »

Dwarves always need burial and/or a slab, regardless of where they're from - I've had ghostly encounters with dwarves who were part of goblin raiding forces before. Others might need to be residents or otherwise under your employ, presumably. But that second bit's a guess.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 12:35:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure the only people that need burial are dwarves, regardless of origin.  I remember in earlier versions that visiting dwarven merchants would need tombs if they were killed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 07:34:39 am »

In 0.40.24 I've killed dwarven necromancers and undead dwarves (not sure if I've had "goblin" dwarves, but I think so) many a time without any ghosts appearing. I would also hazard to guess that if you have recovered the body of a sapient and your dorfs do not bury it when coffins/caskets/... are available, you shouldn't need to slab them either. However, it might be prudent to prepare a few blank slabs just in case...

My experience with hostile dwarves thus differs from that of Splint (which version?). If non dwarven residents, at least, needn't be buried it looks like something that was missed in the multi racial fortress update.

My current best guess of when visiting dwarves (at least) need burial based on what's said is from the time they speak to someone (i.e. their reason for visiting becomes known) until they enter the leaving status.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 07:37:27 am »

My experience with hostile dwarves thus differs from that of Splint (which version?). If non dwarven residents, at least, needn't be buried it looks like something that was missed in the multi racial fortress update.

Happened in 34.11 a couple times, and once in 31.25. Wasn't exactly a super common occurance since I'm normally pretty diligent about burying dead dorfs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:37:12 am »

Thanks, Splint. I suspect things have changed since then, given my newer experience. I'll still produce a few slabs just in case, though (and if they're needed some !!science!! has been produced...)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 01:29:32 am »

Slight necro (no pun intended), but I have a related problem.

Over four hundred visitors' corpses (at least 200 of which were warriors, judging by the number of weapons I picked up afterwards) have been hastily pulled underground into vaults in a system of tunnels, out of sight of the arcane.

(Yeah, those were visiting mercenaries, poets, scholars, consorts, performers, etc. Apparently they didn't get the memo that a nasty necromancer siege had been ongoing for two years. It's a humanitarian disaster, made worse by the necessity of first neglect, then haste in burial.)

I have no desire to make a raven bomb (spoiler alert!)

I've made over 400 caskets, and a new multi-level warren of graves to hold them. Two hundred of these caskets have been placed into their cubbyholes, and all have been set to burial (Y), citizens (N), pets (N). None are tombs. And none are being used to bury the visitors. Unless I missed something in those three settings, I'm under the impression that all 100 of my dwarves should be (probably weeping while they're) hauling the skeletons from the vaults to their places of rest.

None of the visitors reached my tavern, except for a few who I saved via the aforementioned tunnel network. Almost all of those died when they wanted to leave (I bunched them up both so they would have a better chance and so that they could take out some zombies on their way. Only one escaped, in the end.) Not even those who broke bread or drank with my dwarves are being buried.

Any ideas on how to inter these remains? And don't say magma. I've already dug the catacombs and prepared their furnishings, so there had better darn well be a way to use them. At this point, I would convert it all into a formal corpse vault before abandoning it, but as stated, I'd like to inter them properly.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 06:02:56 am »

You might try to make them tombs so you select each casket and victim individually, although I suspect they won't be in the list.
You could role play burial by individually dumping each body on top of the corresponding casket.
Or you could give up and engrave slabs for them instead, replacing the caskets with slabs, probably in combination with a corpse vault. You could pretend it's an ossiary/catacomb.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 09:03:45 am »

Have you tried setting Citizens to Y on a few of the coffins?  I suspect the wording hasn't been updated since Citizenship came to mean something other than "a friendly creature", and that having both Citizens and Pets set to N just means the coffin can never be used, rather than implying a third category of corpses.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 10:13:02 am »

Oh my gosh wonder if you could changed dwarven ethics to accepting eating aspirants then just eat any dead visitors. You could even kill them yourself. You can order military to attack visitors. Today said mercenaries like to show up when people are dying, so it would be a boost to mercenary arrivals.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 03:32:05 pm »

Over four hundred visitors' corpses (at least 200 of which were warriors, judging by the number of weapons I picked up afterwards) have been hastily pulled underground into vaults in a system of tunnels, out of sight of the arcane.

How many were dwarves?

Any ideas on how to inter these remains? And don't say magma.

Well.  The first idea that comes to mind is dumping each non-dwarf visitor's remains in a 1x1 hole, dumping the coffin in with them, building a floor over it, and then building the slab on top of that.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »

Have you tried setting Citizens to Y on a few of the coffins?  I suspect the wording hasn't been updated since Citizenship came to mean something other than "a friendly creature", and that having both Citizens and Pets set to N just means the coffin can never be used, rather than implying a third category of corpses.

Ah, I suspect that's the problem. The wording did seem strange to me! I thought none of the visitors' bodies had been sent to the coffins I'd set to citizens-only, but I just checked, and a poet and a dancer had been interred in the dwarf zone. This is going to be problematic, going forward. Guess I'll have to micromanage the list of the dead to make sure only citizens go into the dwarven stone.

Thanks for all the replies! Is there any way to search the bug tracker to see if this is already on there? (Because I would have thought Toady would want us to be able to treat our citizens, who many become emotionally invested in, differently than others.)

Guess for the dwarf zone, I could designate them all as tombs, but that requires me to have more coffins and room at a given time, as well as nullifying the chronology. Oh well!

Ninjaedit: Yup, the visitors who never reached my tavern are covered by the "Citizens (Y)" setting. Strange wording, that.

Edit 2: And it looks like only the dwarves (mostly; I did notice a few others, even a goblin) got buried, in the end. Probably, the others had been living under dwarven rule.