Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: [SG]You have super powers. Developing combat mechanics, please hold.  (Read 15869 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: [SG]You have super powers. What do you do?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 06:46:06 am »

(So:
Name:Jack, last name unknown
?Male?/Lacking any
Powers:
  • Made of some extremely moderately tough alloy.  Will resist small-arms fire.
  • Built-in laser, approx. 11 seconds worth of output with 1 minute recharge (for a nice second of power for 10 seconds of waiting), and a couple of decently cutty knives.
  • Innate technological knowledge
  • Various passive scanning methods-can see through walls/see infrared.
  • Limited flight- ~30 seconds
  • "Near-limitless*" electrical power
  • Internal components vulnerable to shocks blasting them out of joint or fraying wires.
*Will not be limitless.  At some point you will need to either recharge or acquire new fuel if you abuse this.
Current location:Somewhere in Siberia.
Future location not given.)

Also, no, I don't intend to have any plot really planned out, the plot is what you make happen.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:22:09 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 07:08:39 am »

Spoiler: RAMBLE (click to show/hide)

But otherwise, yeah, basically. I expect the main limitation, beside not being in the slightest supernatural, to be that Jack really, really can't regenerate. Jack can weld plates back together and fix frayed wires, but the fine details don't go back together in this century, especially when you're performing surgery on yourself with a mirror.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:10:27 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 07:11:34 am »

Right.  Consolidate everything into a big post or quote my summary, then, so I have something to quote for the actual first update if there's a consensus on your idea.
Or a complete lack of consensus and nothing striking me as amazing.

Also, I am ruling that any sufficiently capable technologist can perform similar maintenance, possibly more if they're good, possibly even more if they're good and Jack has given them plans.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:19:27 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 07:23:20 am »

Spoiler: Here ya go (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:26:01 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 10:16:11 am »

Who are you (Name, Gender (how you think of yourself), Sex (fiddly bits))? 
James Howwits, male, male

What can you do (powers)? 
Emulate a video game like in the manhwa The Gamer.

(Did you know what you could do, when you started out?)
Not at first but I figured it out pretty quickly.

What happened to bring this about?
Standard backstory. Gaia did it.

Oh, and if you care to mention it, where (on 20XX Earth) are you now?
Turin NY. One of America's smallest towns boasting only 231 people

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 10:23:52 am »

Damnit, do I support the awesome robot/cyborg, or do I support The Gamer? Can't choose.

I'll just roll my dice.

+1 to Froggy Ninja's char.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 10:54:44 am »

I need more explanation on just how that's supposed to work.
Sigtext

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 11:07:41 am »

I need more explanation on just how that's supposed to work.
It's a bit complicated. I'd recommend you either read the source material or one of the many crossovers. But in general it's you get stats and skills. Training both is easier than in real life by a whole lot. You also gain access to magic either by learning it or when Int reaches fifty and you get your first benchmark skill which is mana manipulation. You can level up through combat and add points to your stats (those being int wis str dex vit and luk with the standard points per level being 5) but that obviously makes training them up harder. That's just the basics though. You should read some related material if you want to be accurate to the source material but that's enough to make your own interpretation. Oh and Gaia is the willpower of the planet (possibly made up of the souls of everyone who died ever) and gives people superpowers every once in a while with gamer being one of the most powerful ones due to it's infinite growth potential.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 11:19:04 am »

'K, that makes sense.
Is the progression standardized or individual to the character?
Oh drat.  I forgot to ask what you did before the power-granting event.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2015, 03:30:50 pm »

Jack was almost certainly a soldier somewhere, judging by the way Jack gets flashbacks when he sees a mushroom cloud. Probably a merc, since he doesn't feel nationalistic.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:35:49 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 05:50:15 pm »

'K, that makes sense.
Is the progression standardized or individual to the character?
Oh drat.  I forgot to ask what you did before the power-granting event.
It's standardised but only if the character invites someone to his party. Training will up a "NPC"s level by a related amount. Oh and the first three skills you always get are Gamers Body (which let's you treat things as status effects, regain all stamina by resting for half an hour, don't have actual wounds (so you function normally at 1 hp) and regain all hp and mana by sleeping {sometimes you don't actually need sleep}) Gamers Mind (allows you to react to things calmly as if life was a game making you immune to psychological status effects {and sometimes mind control/reading type skills}) and after ogling everyone since they have names and levels above their heads Observe (Which let's you see HP and MP at first level and then stats, status effects, bio, titles etc as it levels up as well as a description of items also getting more detailed as it levels up). Gamer's mind/body start at max level. Party members don't get gamers mind, body, Observe or inventory. You can consume instruction manuals as skill books.

We were a computer programmer. Mostly amuture but we do occasional tech support for the folks around town.

EDIT: You also can't see the level of or observe anyone who has a lot higher a level than you. The exact mechanics vary widely but it usually starts at around 30 levels higher.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:08:21 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 11:34:13 am »

I guess I'll get out my 4d6, then.
Incoming post.

10 11 17 12 13 11
Right.  If anyone has a complaint with the initial stats speak now or put up with it until you get to respec.
STR:10
CON:12
DEX:11
WIS:13
INT:17
LCK:11

(Also, I'm just going to say this now, I'm not at all staying true to any particular source material.)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:40:27 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 01:29:45 pm »

Well 10 is the average and int is based on knowledge while wis is problem solving so that seems about right for a computer programmer. I still suggest you read it and maybe some of the fanfic (I personally enjoy Strange Gameplay for a Ninja) if only because they're good.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 07:47:12 pm »

((I'm making stuff up as I go along, so bear with me.))
Your thoughts drift back to when it all began.

==Some Time Ago==

You have just finished coding something.  There is a flash of light.  There is a sudden stats panel.
"...Okay then.  Three new class feats?  What in...Why am I suddenly in some weird cross between D&D and a MMO?  Okay.  Somebody has to have answers..."
New Quest!
What just happened?

Find someone to tell you what's going on!
Rewards: XP, mentor.

New Quest!
You have a job to do, you know.

Do your job.
Rewards: $USD, XP.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quest Log (click to show/hide)

Well, now what?  Your...quest log....has two things to do, or do you want to do something else?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:49:14 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 07:53:37 pm »

((I'm making stuff up as I go along, so bear with me.))
Your thoughts drift back to when it all began.

==Some Time Ago==

You have just finished coding something.  There is a flash of light.  There is a sudden stats panel.
"...Okay then.  Three new class feats?  What in...Why am I suddenly in some weird cross between D&D and a MMO?  Okay.  Somebody has to have answers..."
New Quest!
What just happened?

Find someone to tell you what's going on!
Rewards: XP, mentor.

New Quest!
You have a job to do, you know.

Do your job.
Rewards: $USD, XP.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quest Log (click to show/hide)

Well, now what?  Your...quest log....has two things to do, or do you want to do something else?
Find out whats going on by looking at name of game search current location for useful things.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14