Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1018335 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6525 on: August 19, 2017, 08:07:34 pm »

Sadly the thing is, unless you turn your society into a full police state, there will always be things flying under the radar.
It's understandable that each events spurs the need to point fingers, but it's a waste of time.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: August 20, 2017, 08:32:23 am »

On the other hand, it's worth looking if there is something that should have been done and that wasn't. The fact that Belgium's police is so fractured is a problem. The fact that the Catalan police wasn't given access to Interpol data is retarded.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: August 20, 2017, 08:52:12 am »

...upon further reflection, there *have* been ongoing conflicts between the different police forces for a while, it seems

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2479400/0/reunion-interpol/mossos/policia-nacional/

However, according to this other interview, the vetting of the Mossos from the Interpol summits and interpol databases is not as much part of the goverment as it is SOP for interpol

http://www.elmundo.es/cataluna/2015/06/05/55714a67e2704e51518b456b.html
Q: Catalonia has half of all salafist mosques in all Spain. Wouldn't it be more useful for prevention to grant the Mossos access to this [interpo] data?
A: Our aim is to coordinate police action, and for this a single channel must exist, functioning and safe. We organize countless meetings about all areas of global criminality in all member countries, and Interpol only deals directly with the State's security forces. We don't deal with any other police force. That's our policy

Q: wouldn't information flow  better establishing links with more police forces?
A: Quite the contrary. The more police forces involved, the more disorganized it is. Interpol doesn't directly work with counter terrorism units without the knowledge and the greenlight of the National Central Office [aka: the HQ of interpol in that country]. The Mossos already have a liaison in the NCO in Madrid

TBH at this point it could be anything. If there is politics involved, it likely has more to do with juristiction areas (aka: similar to how the police in an US state cannot pursue into another? This didn't use to be a thing in Spain but apparently a few years ago the law changed).
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: August 20, 2017, 12:24:17 pm »

...upon further reflection, there *have* been ongoing conflicts between the different police forces for a while, it seems

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2479400/0/reunion-interpol/mossos/policia-nacional/

However, according to this other interview, the vetting of the Mossos from the Interpol summits and interpol databases is not as much part of the goverment as it is SOP for interpol

http://www.elmundo.es/cataluna/2015/06/05/55714a67e2704e51518b456b.html
Q: Catalonia has half of all salafist mosques in all Spain. Wouldn't it be more useful for prevention to grant the Mossos access to this [interpo] data?
A: Our aim is to coordinate police action, and for this a single channel must exist, functioning and safe. We organize countless meetings about all areas of global criminality in all member countries, and Interpol only deals directly with the State's security forces. We don't deal with any other police force. That's our policy

Q: wouldn't information flow  better establishing links with more police forces?
A: Quite the contrary. The more police forces involved, the more disorganized it is. Interpol doesn't directly work with counter terrorism units without the knowledge and the greenlight of the National Central Office [aka: the HQ of interpol in that country]. The Mossos already have a liaison in the NCO in Madrid

TBH at this point it could be anything. If there is politics involved, it likely has more to do with juristiction areas (aka: similar to how the police in an US state cannot pursue into another? This didn't use to be a thing in Spain but apparently a few years ago the law changed).

Police juristicion areas still cooperate with each other when needed and you have the FBI for when things cross state lines. In the US, the FBI is the one that acts as a mediary hub that talks to specific jurdicisions when needed. There's also various databases for sharing information between jurdicisions. So, it's less than establishing links between jurdicisions than having databases of information that all of them can contribute to and look at.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: August 20, 2017, 01:50:39 pm »

Police juristicion areas still cooperate with each other when needed and you have the FBI for when things cross state lines. In the US, the FBI is the one that acts as a mediary hub that talks to specific jurdicisions when needed. There's also various databases for sharing information between jurdicisions. So, it's less than establishing links between jurdicisions than having databases of information that all of them can contribute to and look at.

Which is more or less what the interpol guy was saying.

I do know that there have been disputes when the police of an autonomous community crossed over into other region in pursuit.   Dunno what's the status quo at the moment, as its not something I've given much thought, tbh.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: August 21, 2017, 04:16:45 am »

The Netherlands has been chosen to house a new military logistics division, specifically created for maintaining all the 400 Joint Strike Fighters flying in the EU.
Good news for our treasury, I suppose, it's estimated to bring in hundreds of millions of euros a year. Bad news for becoming an even more strategic nuke target than we already were.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: August 21, 2017, 04:28:38 am »

...Is that a damn marijuana pun? Man, the EU is really taking their game to the next level.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: August 21, 2017, 10:07:51 am »

...Is that a damn marijuana pun? Man, the EU is really taking their game to the next level.

If it is, it's an accidential one as 'joint strike fighter' is a pretty common military term.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:49 am »

Spanish police announced they have located and captured the driver of the Barcelona attacks, and shot and kileld one guy with a bombvest today.

And no, no marijuana pun. It's just how the F-35 is called, the Joint Strike Fighter

EDIT: apparently, the guy wasn't captured, but killed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:58:06 pm by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: August 23, 2017, 01:34:14 pm »

In Rotterdam, a concert of the US rock band Allah-Las has been cancelled, and police and anti terror units have set a perimeter around the concert area to keep out concert visitors that were just arriving, because of a terrorist threat.

EDIT: A van with Spanish license plate, filled with gas canisters was found near the concert area. The van has been secured and the driver arrested. Looks like one of the Spanish bombmakers escaped to the Netherlands.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 05:24:32 pm by martinuzz »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: August 23, 2017, 06:35:27 pm »

In Rotterdam, a concert of the US rock band Allah-Las has been cancelled, and police and anti terror units have set a perimeter around the concert area to keep out concert visitors that were just arriving, because of a terrorist threat.

EDIT: A van with Spanish license plate, filled with gas canisters was found near the concert area. The van has been secured and the driver arrested. Looks like one of the Spanish bombmakers escaped to the Netherlands.

Might have been the one that they were on a manhunt for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: August 23, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »

No they killed that one a few days ago

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: August 23, 2017, 11:25:04 pm »

I thought they said that they had all of that cell accounted for, maybe not.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: August 24, 2017, 03:10:38 am »

The van driver has been released, with his van. Turned out to be a professional mechanic, who uses te gas bottles for his trade.
He has been fined for drunk driving though, he had a bit too much alcohol in his blood.

Police did catch a suspect in the south of the Netherlands, whom they say is connected to the terrorist threat to the concert.
Dutch police was tipped by Spanish police a terror attack was imminent. They're not giving out more info.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: August 25, 2017, 05:16:34 pm »

At about the same time today in London, and in Brussels, a man attacked police officers with a knife.

In Brussels, a 30 year old Somalian shouting Allahu Akhbar attacked two police officers, who then shot the man. He died to his injuries in hospital a while later.
The two police officers were lightly injured.

In London, a man attacked 2 police officers with a knife too. They were both lightly injured to their arms, but managed to capture the man alive. The officers were treated at the scene and did not need to be hospitalized.

Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 795