Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 783

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 866908 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #11040 on: May 18, 2023, 04:01:22 am »

How did you manage to fit that much in to 430gb?

The best MP3 player had was an old cellphone, it even had the bonus of being a flashlight and a camera, sucks that the speaker and the headphone jack died maybe one day I'll find out how to fix it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11041 on: May 18, 2023, 05:33:52 am »

let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11042 on: May 19, 2023, 03:26:39 am »

That thing looks pretty durable, I miss spoke and the one I have is actually an old smartphone, it also has bluetooth but I never use it.

I really need to see what it'd take to get that thing working again.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11043 on: May 20, 2023, 01:30:20 am »

It's really, really mild, but a typo inspired google search for neatly trimmed bears came up with nothing relevant. No one seems to have neatly trimmed a bear, or if they did, there was no photo evidence of it (... also possibly no survivors). Great disappointment, it is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11044 on: May 20, 2023, 07:14:10 am »

It's really, really mild, but a typo inspired google search for neatly trimmed bears came up with nothing relevant. No one seems to have neatly trimmed a bear, or if they did, there was no photo evidence of it (... also possibly no survivors). Great disappointment, it is.

That sounds like a job opportunity for the AI art department.  "Several brown and black bears in front of a barber shop.  The bears all have neatly trimmed fur.  The bears' fur is also elegantly styled."

Spoiler: Neatly trimmed bears (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Brabble (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Terrifying reflection (click to show/hide)

This is the first time I've used any of the new fangled "AI" stuff.  There is a site that provides 1 and 2/3 free image generations a day, so long as you create an account there.  And it seems to generate 4 at a time per prompt.

Mildly frustrating that it just made bears with both brown and black fur, instead of brown bears and black bears as individual bears.
Edit: In hindsight, their claws could also be neatly trimmed, but my 1 shot for the day is used up.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 07:15:57 am by Schmaven »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11045 on: May 20, 2023, 07:20:33 am »

Kudos for giving it a go, ahaha.

... AI bears don't have quite the same je ne sais quoi, but it's also far less likely to involve bears maiming someone for coming at them with trimmers, so it probably evens out somewhere in there.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11046 on: May 20, 2023, 12:39:32 pm »

Eh IDK, I think these guys count as bears.  The ruggedness comes off as artificial, but that's fashion for ya :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11047 on: May 20, 2023, 02:02:16 pm »

I'unno rol, even when google was side tracking my search into silly things like non-typo'd beards, I don't think I saw anything that classified as a bear, at least as I remember the term being. They're supposed to be kinda' short and more hirsute, everything google was showing me was just normal beardpeople, nothing bear-adjacent. It was disappointing even on that level, never mind actually styled non-human ursines.

In other wtfs mild upset...edness?, I can never decide if it's supposed to be nevermind or never mind, and as far as I've noticed english hates all of us and doesn't actually care. Nevermind looks more correct to my eyes (and is less typing!), but firefox's spellchecker complains about it. Part of me wants to settle into some sort of consistency regarding it (even if the most likely candidate for that consistency is "intentionally alternate between the two"), but most of me is in full too-much-effort-to-care,embrace-chaos mode. Just make sure to occasionally switch between the two and I'm sure it'll work out eventually.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 02:11:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11048 on: May 20, 2023, 02:15:11 pm »

Nevermind does look more correct.

Just make sure to occasionally switch between the two and I'm sure it'll work out eventually.

I think that's the academical way to it anyway.

Or, or... You find a reason, that one particular case that justifies differentiating between them. And then you correct everybody act really confident, if there is no convention you did actually find yourself a free piece of mental real estate to plant your flag on. Except the equivalent of planting a flag in this analogy would be to propagate the meme, untiil somebody who works at the dictionnary hears their nephew say it. Maybe bots on reddit could do it.
let

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11049 on: May 20, 2023, 02:51:02 pm »

Nevermind is 1 word, and is usually said without pause.  Never mind, technically sounds the same, but each of the 2 words separately considered, have different meanings, which don't easily combine into the meaning of the phrase, nevermind. 

Another approach is to just abbreviate it: nvm.  Which doesn't really work in all written scenarios.  Scratch that, moving on, disregard that last bit, but I digress, there may be other ways to convey a similar enough meaning to just avoid the issue all together until proper linguists can provide an official ruling.

That being said, it still bothers me that elevators have a limit of how many persons can ride at once.  I always thought people was the plural of person.  So my gramatical opinions are likely incorrect.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11050 on: May 20, 2023, 05:11:24 pm »

That being said, it still bothers me that elevators have a limit of how many persons can ride at once.  I always thought people was the plural of person.  So my gramatical opinions are likely incorrect.
People and person are unrelated words, which is why you can have peoples and persons. They're just usually used together suppletively.

Never mind is two words and has always been two words, you weirdoes. It used to be more common to say "never you mind", even. It literally means "you should never mind it".

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: May 21, 2023, 01:16:11 am »

Not sure why the construct "never you mind" would count as support, since plain "never mind" is also grammatically valid and also literally means "never mind it."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: May 21, 2023, 01:27:44 am »

Not sure why the construct "never you mind" would count as support, since plain "never mind" is also grammatically valid and also literally means "never mind it."
Possibly my digressive phrasing was unclear, but I meant "never mind" by "it" in the last sentence, not "never you mind". "Never you mind" is just support for the fact that it's two words, since there can even be a word in between them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11053 on: May 21, 2023, 01:58:30 am »

There's more than a few words in english that started out as two (or more) words and then eventually smooshed down into one, though. It's common enough there's literally a specific phrase for 'em, good ol' compound words. Nevermind existing at one point as two words don't mean it can't be one nowadays.
Ask not!
Ask!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: May 21, 2023, 02:03:45 am »

There's more than a few words in english that started out as two (or more) words and then eventually smooshed down into one, though. It's common enough there's literally a specific phrase for 'em, good ol' compound words. Nevermind existing at one point as two words don't mean it can't be one nowadays.
I didn't say it couldn't, although making a verb phrase into a compound is pretty nonproductive in modern English. I've also never seen anyone do it in this case before. Still, certainly, it could happen; I'm just confirming that it definitely does exist as two words and that's perfectly correct.
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 783