Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 784

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 868118 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #11700 on: June 10, 2024, 02:23:02 pm »

Mom got a new computer, Windows 11.

First mistake right here. Windows 11 is objectively shit. And that's a fact.

Yeah well get ready because the end of support for Windows 10 is October of this year.

But the new U.I sucks so bad. They butchered the thing. I  gonna hold out as much as I can.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: June 10, 2024, 04:21:02 pm »

I'm less upset about the UI and more concerned with all the extra telemetry BS and AI assistant and spying included in Windows 11.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: June 11, 2024, 03:13:41 am »

Seems like every new iteration of Windows gets more and more shit, kind of strange to think that they went from being the best you could get to being complete garbage.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: June 11, 2024, 05:14:48 pm »

Seems like every new iteration of Windows gets more and more shit, kind of strange to think that they went from being the best you could get to being complete garbage.

It's going shit ever since XP, but 11 is especially shit because Windows broke the standard design principle of the OS. Call me narrow, but the classic layout preserved since forever was good enough. 11 looks like a Mac more than a Windows computer. Aesthetics are a ripoff, unopen, hard to modify design decisions are a clear inspiration. Everything is buried under layers and layers of irrelevant shovelware no one cares about. The individual instances of notepad stack chrome style...
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: June 11, 2024, 05:21:47 pm »

The individual instances of notepad stack chrome style...
Though in mild fairness, if you're not using notepad++ or something instead, you really only have yourself to blame...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: June 11, 2024, 06:16:17 pm »

The individual instances of notepad stack chrome style...
Though in mild fairness, if you're not using notepad++ or something instead, you really only have yourself to blame...

Oh, I said notepad didn't I... No it's the .txt thingie that's doing that.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: June 11, 2024, 08:00:35 pm »

I'm just hoarding so much stuff because I feel like everything is getting worse, in my head I'll be forced back to playing ps2 and listening to aux on the stereo, once they manage to bloat evertything to shit enough that a contemporary gaming pc can't even browse the net comfortably anymore, If I don't want to feel like I have dementia because every 40 seconds I have to micromanage some spam.

They keep phasing out perfectly valid tech, for unfree and unfunctional substitutions.
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: June 12, 2024, 01:55:22 am »

It's going shit ever since XP, but 11 is especially shit because Windows broke the standard design principle of the OS. Call me narrow, but the classic layout preserved since forever was good enough. 11 looks like a Mac more than a Windows computer. Aesthetics are a ripoff, unopen, hard to modify design decisions are a clear inspiration. Everything is buried under layers and layers of irrelevant shovelware no one cares about. The individual instances of notepad stack chrome style...
I didn't really notice much change from XP to 7, and with the right settings you could make the UI on 7 look like 98 like I preferred like you could with XP.

Basically from what I could tell is that the UI went to shit with 8 and has gotten worse with every iteration after that. I have not messed with 11 and don't plan on it, especially after what a shit fest 10 turned out to be.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: June 12, 2024, 02:23:57 am »

I'm doubtful on microsoft ending support of win10. It still has significantly more users than win11 does.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: June 12, 2024, 02:07:27 pm »

I wouldn't be so sure. Their motivations for moving users off of older versions of Windows are different than they were 20+ years ago with XP vs. 7, 7 vs. Vista, etc....They want those analytics. They want to force you into MS accounts (Win 11 I believe took away the ability to just make a local account. Now you need an MS account to use Win 11 at all.)

Win 11 has nothing to do with improvements to the core Windows experience, and everything to do with harvesting user data.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: June 12, 2024, 11:15:06 pm »

(Win 11 I believe took away the ability to just make a local account. Now you need an MS account to use Win 11 at all.)

There is a workaround to avoid making a Microsoft account (presumably put in place to protect people who genuinely need privacy like government agents and journalists), but your average person isn't going to care enough to go look for it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: June 13, 2024, 07:27:53 am »

Definitely noticed a pattern I was hoping was just coincidence. Every once in a while (like, less than once a month) I'll end up taking ibuprofen or whatever before bed (last night was a pretty killer headache and, like, I needed sleep sooner that it'd wear off itself). The thing I've been kinda' noticing and hoping wasn't so, well.

It turns out I'm consistently sleeping a lot better with painkillers/anti-inflammatories in my system. Like holy shit it is night and day, sleep is less interrupted, I wake up feeling better, whole damn nine yards.

Which, just. Sucks. On a lot of different levels, because taking those kinds of meds before bed really isn't sustainable, and it implies pain or inflammation is fucking up my sleep cycle bad enough basic over the counter shit is causing a massive reversal. Will have to do some research or something to see if there's a solution on that front that won't like kill my kidneys or whatever, but... it ain't a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 07:30:53 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: June 13, 2024, 09:42:05 am »

Please do not quote:

Correct so they can steal your work product, call it theirs and whoever pays to "generate" (plagiarize) it.
https://www.theatlantic.com/books/archive/2023/08/stephen-king-books-ai-writing/675088/

If they'll steal from Steven King, they'll steal right off your desktop if they can. It's not a debate. it's something that needs stopped.
There needs to be a new third party widely adaptable system (Linux is sadly not widely adopted).

Please do not quote:
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: June 13, 2024, 11:18:50 am »

I wouldn't be so sure. Their motivations for moving users off of older versions of Windows are different than they were 20+ years ago with XP vs. 7, 7 vs. Vista, etc....They want those analytics. They want to force you into MS accounts (Win 11 I believe took away the ability to just make a local account. Now you need an MS account to use Win 11 at all.)

Win 11 has nothing to do with improvements to the core Windows experience, and everything to do with harvesting user data.
Enshittification is the current software plague. I'm hoping it implodes on itself.

I'm sticking with 10 for now. I don't think I *can* update to 11, actually. Pretty sure I remember reading about 11 needing some special security chip or somesuch on the motherboard and mine lacks that.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: June 13, 2024, 11:54:19 am »

microsoft learned a lot of some moden gamedev
- promise at some point to support always support the product, in order to attract people into switching to it because it's for the best in term of support, then after a while make another product and don't support the previous "it will always be supported" one anymore.
- new product is noticably slower and eating too many ressources in early access while explaining it's like that because it's in development and "performance is the last thing to do" usual bullcrap, but then never care about optimising it and just tell people "just update your system". Fortunately there will be always people with newer systems coming in and telling "but it run faster for me, i have no idea why people don't just upgrade" to help marketing without even a need to pay them.
- call people that don't like that "entitled" with the support of your unpaid useful idiot defenders, or claim something like "it wasn't sustainable", "we have family to feed" etc... despite your company is making billions in profits with the gross profit increasing each years and get away with it.
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 784