Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A siege that doesn't end?  (Read 4281 times)

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A siege that doesn't end?
« on: February 24, 2016, 05:36:48 am »

Hi!

I'm having a strange issue with my latest fort in 0.42.06, and would be curious if anyone knows a way to resolve it. The first goblin siege arrived a few weeks ago (early autumn), and was quickly dealt with by my military. Now, although I'm pretty sure that all siegers are rotting in my corpse stockpile, the SIEGE text on the upper left corner of the screen doesn't disappear, and I haven't had the dwarven caravan arrive yet, although it's already late autumn by now. I've found an old thread dealing with similar issues in ancient versions of dwarf fortress, where the suggested solution was to use a tool named Runesmith to revive certain invaders - namely those that aren't properly tagged as being dead, and to kill them again. Also, I've found this bug report, which was marked as resolved as no affected save file was ever uploaded.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Could it be that there are still some invaders on their way, and the siege hasn't ended because they simply aren't here yet? Or might it really be that old issue from 2011? Is there an updated version of Runesmith, or a similar tool available that might help to remove the siege satatus?
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: A siege that doesn't end?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 08:59:06 am »

I had this at one point, it was quite a while ago, though.
The solution was stupidly simple, but alas, I can't remember. Restarting DF or something like that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:09:41 am »

Also try running your military along the map edge. The 42.x versions have a thing where sieges appear half off-map. Proximity might entice them, if there are any, to enter your map.

Did you check your 'other units' tab of the (u)nit list to make sure there are no more invaders?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:18:52 am »

Thanks for the answers!
Restarting didn't help - I've killed off the goblins yesterday, and the siege was still ongoing when I loaded the save today.
I'll try the suggestion to move the military along the edge next time I start dwarf fortress.
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:39:26 am »

Ok, I have no idea why exactly, but after having my soldiers move along the map edge, and killing off a few capybaras, the siege officially ended. Could it be that the capybaras were considered part of the sieging force? They were listed as wild animals if I'm not mistaken, so that's kind of strange...
It might also be, that the siege status was removed when winter came, as that happened at about the same time...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 12:01:52 pm »

I get this bug literally every siege. I find that if I restart and do the siege again, the next time the bug does not recur. I suspect it may have to do with enemies not entering the map properly. I also suspect that there is some timeout that will eventually end the siege, though I haven't tried purposely killing the wildlife to see if the siege flags ended up associated with them.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 12:49:39 pm »

I didn't kill them on purpose. They just started fighting with my haulers at some point, and I have no idea why.
Anyhow, that might be worth investigating, as when you kill all currently present animals, a new group of animals spawns. Could be that this spawning causes df to realize that the siege is actually over.