Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: You are a Shaper!  (Read 10272 times)

Snallac

• Bay Watcher
  • King of ze Snails
    • View Profile
    • The Blight
Re: You are a Shaper!
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:20 am »

You don't even need to approach your fellow prospectives yourself - a few of them immediately approach you to ask how you managed to Shape a functional Skitch, and to ask you to help them out - including Marcus.

"How did you manage that? Shaping takes more focus than anything else we've ever learned, even holding Essence!"
"Simple. I practiced."
"What do you mean? We didn't get any time to practice before that."
"I just went out to practice in the night."
"What? That's allowed?"
"It isn't expressly forbidden, and it gave me more time to get a handle on Shaping. I could help you guys out tonight if you're all willing to go to bed late."

You immediately receive a chorus of affirmations. You've now cemented yourself as an authority figure and tutor in your group.

For the rest of your free time, you mainly focus on controlling your Skitch, while also attempting to read a book on improving your focus and learning speed - Shapers have refined the act of learning itself quite a bit. You fail to learn anything new, though - controlling a Skitch is too distracting for you to do more than hold a conversation while maintaining your control on the thing.

On the way out of the library, you check out a book on illusions - you aren't going to focus on illusion magic over shaping, of course, but it might be useful.

After leaving the library, Zackary leads you into one of the buildings excluded from your tour - one of the buildings that is no-doubt involved in the dangerous experiments they perform here. The one he leads you into turns out to be a sort of dissection hall. Shapers you haven't met before - three of them - are dissecting a rather large Creation in here, with the assistance of some Serviles. It's rather disgusting - you can't tell what the thing they're dissecting might have been before they got to work on it might have been. It was certainly large, though - taller than a man, and wider. It completely takes up the biggest dissection slab in the hall. The walls of the hall are lined with shelves, upon which rest rows and rows of chemicals.

Zackary has you all observe the proceedings - none of the other Shapers make any attempt to explain what they are doing, or even greet you. Zackary seems to be immunizing you to the sight of such proceedings. A Servile does come around to hand out barf bags, though. Soon enough you hear a few students using them.

The way they are dissecting the thing is.. fascinating. It seems that they've sucked all of the blood out of the thing - there's nothing to obscure your view of the thing's muscles and nerves, its empty blood vessels and bare bones and ligaments. The dissectors strip away one layer of the thing to look at a specific organ or nerve bundle, take notes and examine it for awhile, and then continue to the next body part. They direct the Serviles in flaying away muscle and skin, the Serviles using strangely designed, huge flaying knives expertly in taking the corpse apart.

You watch the process for hours before Zackary leads you all off to bed - and they weren't even finished!

You were going to lead Marcus and a few others to the Shaping chambers tonight to practice, but they're all drained by what they saw, and you are too. Is there anything you want to do tonight? Or do you just go to sleep?

What do you do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Huzzah! An update!

Sorry for the double-posting, and sorry this took so long. Some health problems spontaneously developed for me over the weekend, and school's been really busy lately. And I know this isn't really a full update - I just want you guys to know this isn't dead.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2016, 10:37:52 am »

Tomorrow, we should look for books that have information on amulets in it. If none do, then we should attempt to figure out how they function so we can eventually make our own.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 03:23:00 pm »

Tomorrow, we should look for books that have information on amulets in it. If none do, then we should attempt to figure out how they function so we can eventually make our own.
1-
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:38:30 pm by High tyrol »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 03:51:31 pm »

+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 04:06:36 pm »

+1
+1
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 04:44:54 pm »

I'd prefer to specialize in learning things that will be useful once we leave. We could have a minion figure out the amulets later. Besides, we still have two books to get through, and I'd rather not let the teachers know of our goldfish-like attention span just yet.

Assert that nobody should practice shaping tonight - It's too easy to get caught up in, and we all need our rest now if we're to focus on actually being taught tomorrow. We'll put it off for tomorrow, assuming we have the energy for it.
Remember to absorb our creation before we sleep, and mention doing so aloud. We don't want uncontrolled Skitches wrecking things.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2016, 09:42:29 pm »

I'd prefer to specialize in learning things that will be useful once we leave. We could have a minion figure out the amulets later. Besides, we still have two books to get through, and I'd rather not let the teachers know of our goldfish-like attention span just yet.

Assert that nobody should practice shaping tonight - It's too easy to get caught up in, and we all need our rest now if we're to focus on actually being taught tomorrow. We'll put it off for tomorrow, assuming we have the energy for it.
Remember to absorb our creation before we sleep, and mention doing so aloud. We don't want uncontrolled Skitches wrecking things.

I would rather sleep than study to gain something we wouldn't even accomplished anything by  using anytime in the near future. We just got here we probably have two years at least witch we will spend here.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2016, 09:44:35 pm »

1+
We shouldn't work on the amulet until we have been here at least a month.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2016, 08:48:06 pm »

>Says we need to learn useful skills
>Suggests to sleep instead of learn
>Kay.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »

>Says we need to learn useful skills
>Suggests to sleep instead of learn
>Kay.
I apologize for confusing you so I will clarify. I still think practicing shaping would be better than sleeping however I dislike spending effort on amulet research more than my desire to practice shaping so I changed my vote to an option I disliked less to decrease the chance of my least favorite action from occurring.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2016, 09:37:35 pm »

I think that if we became very skilled with Illusion Magic we could use it to make ourselves look like a badass lord of shadow, and we could use Illusory Darkness to blind enemy armies. I don't think we should prioritize it, but it would be very useful for strategic purposes.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2016, 06:24:10 pm »

Bump

Snallac

• Bay Watcher
  • King of ze Snails
    • View Profile
    • The Blight
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:07 pm »

Realizing that it is futile to attempt to rouse your classmates to practice when you're all drained from the spectacle of last night's dissection, you fall onto your bed and quickly fall into sleep.

You're awoken much more abruptly than usual when, in the morning, Akar enters the dorm and starts ringing a bell, shocking you all awake. The clamor rouses you from your slumber even all the way down at the end of the dorms.

Akar directs you all in putting on the sparring armor stored in each of your cabinets, and then wordlessly leads you out of the dorms and through the alleys of the complex, taking you all to the sparring grounds.

"Alright, listen up. We will be sparring with real weapons, and practicing on real Creations." Akar points to a row of Sligs, slug-like livestock Creations, chained to stakes hammered into the ground in the middle of the sparring grounds. "Take this seriously and give it your best or you might end up losing a limb today. Sligs aren't the only creatures you'll be facing today." Akar then points to a group of Creations behind the Sligs, chained to the outer wall of the facility - things that look almost like chitin-covered snake-men with scythe-like pincer-arms. Another new fearsome type of battle creation you've never seen before. Oh boy.

"Those things are called Vernexes, and you'll have the pleasure of fighting them today. You're lucky these are the non-poisonous variety - usually the things have venom on their arms and teeth. Now, let's get started!"

Akar starts you all off by handing out short-swords and batons - living lengths of muscle put into metal tubes that spit thorns into your enemies at high speeds - and said thorns are often envenomed or worse. Akar set you all to using the Sligs as living practice targets, attempting to desensitize you all to killing to some degree, no doubt. You have no problem killing the Creations, and for the most part, you succeed in doing so. Your sword strokes are slow and cumbersome, as you really aren't strong enough to swing a sword around with ease, but the Sligs don't fight back, and you're rather accurate with a baton. Other students find killing the Sligs rather more problematic, however - Marcus looks like he's going to puke as he shoots a Slig with a baton.

After you and your classmates butcher your way through the Sligs, Akar sets you to sparring each other - a much different prospect than butchering defenseless livestock. Fighting another student with real swords when you're both completely inexperienced is rather risky - someone gets a leg broken in the first minute, but Akar simply heals them with Shaping somehow and sets them back at it. You do decently well, and manage to avoid getting much more than bruises. Neither you or your opponent really get a decisive victory, though.

After that bout of sparring, once all of you are completely exhausted - then Akar sets you against the Vernexes, one at a time, one on one with the Creation. The Vernexes are inhumanly fast, their chitinous armor is thick, and they don't seem to tire. No-one does well against them - almost everyone seems to nearly get mutilated. Whenever it seems a Vernex is about to slay or maim someone horribly, however, Akar always steps in to make sure the student doesn't die. You don't do very well - the damn Creation would have decapitated you thrice had Akar not stopped it.

After all of that, Akar takes you all to the mess hall, then takes you to the library and sets you loose. You take the opportunity to see if you can find any information on the amulets the teachers use to gain access to the various buildings in the facility. You find some useful information on the subject in a book on general enchantment - apparently a common enchantment is to imbue a door or gate with a magical lock of sorts that only opens in response to a certain magical energy signature, and then to imbue a personal item such as a necklace with that signature so that only you can open that door. This is almost certainly how the access amulets here work - but you're far from replicating such a feat of magic yourself.

What else do you do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah, I'm still alive. Sorry! Life's busy right now, and I have a really horrible attention span. I find it hard to focus on own project at a time - but I will keep this going. Be pacified by my arting prowess - yep, I made the pixelated monstrosity you see up there. But yeah. Updates are gonna be a while between each other for now.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 10:15:04 pm »

your doing a great job i am glad this is still alive.
G.M. question?:does meditation help with relaxation/fatigue reduction
during library time we should either meditate(if it relives fatigue)or read our shaping book(otherwise) either way we should definitely hold a meeting of the study group tonight we should work on shaping our first might with the group.we can destroy and recreate our skitch in an attempt to    we cannot be lazy 
hopefully if we are less fatigued then the loss of sleep will take longer to catch up to us and as we can focus on practicing shaping rather just studying it i feel that the delay of knowledge will be offset by better skill and an improved social situation.
I also noted that Snallac has touched upon the major areas of training already(shaping,desensitization, and combat) do you people think Snallac will pull a new area for study or tread back to one of the already touched areas? We haven't bean here long so he will probably wait a while longer before pulling a big  event. I think he might cycle back to something shaping related but if there is a subject he hasn't had us work on yet( which is decently important to the shapers)I think it is even more likely he will have that for tomorrow. I think we should try to predict what will be covered in class so that our preparation will improve our  performance.
I am off to look at the spiderweb forums to refresh what that shapers would have studied 
maybe non-shaping  magic might be taught       
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:58:06 pm by High tyrol »

Snallac

• Bay Watcher
  • King of ze Snails
    • View Profile
    • The Blight
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 06:48:54 am »

Meditation helps replenish Essence and Energy, but it doesn't help much with physical exhaustion. As for the class schedule, after your time in the library you have a diplomacy class, and then the classes cycle around in the order we've seen after that, up to when you choose your Shaper sect, after which the class schedule will change and we'll switch to playing things week-by-week, as there's no way I'm going to write an entry for every day of your six years at this academy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7