Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390417 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2235 on: August 04, 2016, 10:12:48 pm »

Has the definition of secret changed on me at some point?

It was changed secretly.  By which I mean it was changed in an official white house press announcement with 6 months of PSAs.  Nobody paid attention.  But in a few years boy will they be mad.  I think the english language needs a word to describe anger caused by outrage felt at something that isn't a secret but you didn't pay attention to in the past.  I imagine it would be a very common word if we had it.

Also, it seems this recent bout of whatever-it's-called was caused by Trump not knowing what B-reel is: http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/08/donald-trump-roundup-thursday-evening
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:15:38 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 05, 2016, 02:39:24 am »

Apparently Obama is going to go ahead and give Trump the same intel briefing stuff that would normally be given both candidates, so, if he he really DOES blab secret stuff, it'll be Trumps fault.
I'm not sure it'd reflect well on Obama to do so, if the one instigating it, but I could definitely imagine a Canary Trap being set up.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 05, 2016, 02:52:37 am »

Apparently Obama is going to go ahead and give Trump the same intel briefing stuff that would normally be given both candidates, so, if he he really DOES blab secret stuff, it'll be Trumps fault.
I'm not sure it'd reflect well on Obama to do so, if the one instigating it, but I could definitely imagine a Canary Trap being set up.

I fail to see a situation in which this makes sense. The purpose of a canary trap/barium meal is to identify who is leaking information, and any Trump-induced information dispersal will happen on national television.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 05, 2016, 03:01:37 am »

... also wow, what the hell. The money was actually Iran's. Like, literally theirs, that had been sitting in a trust fund for years due to sanctions. How the hell do you call giving someone their own bloody money back paying a ransom? How does this friggin' work?
"You give us what rightfully belongs to us, and we give you what rightfully belongs to you... "...is probably the imagined version of the blackmail.  Or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitemail#Social_culture

Personally, I think that the timing was too close. Things of unrelated genesis happen by coincidence all the time, and if there was a known "we will do this if you do that, but on the QT" situation it would have been deliberately buffered, a staged handover via a mutually acceptible third-party country and not basically a Glienicke Bridge situation.

I fail to see a situation in which this makes sense. The purpose of a canary trap/barium meal is to identify who is leaking information, and any Trump-induced information dispersal will happen on national television.
Information that was only from a specific security briefing would identify Trump's source as being the "now, you shouldn't tell anyone, but our underground base in Greenland has discovered an original Illuminati spacecraft" one.  More properly a Canary Seed Trap.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: August 05, 2016, 06:36:16 am »

Nah, the source is the White House via a routine briefing. It's not a trap; it's just Enough Rope for Trump to Hang Himself With. The president's team would need to make sure that stuff in the next few briefings wouldn't be too damaging if leaked, just in case.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: August 05, 2016, 07:11:23 am »

It was more the "now, you shouldn't tell anyone, but..." bit I was concentrating on.

As opposed to just making his own facts up, that's a fact that he is told he is obligated to not disclose. Anyway, it was a mere conceptual musing, hence not much worry about the vague wording not coming out as intended.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: August 05, 2016, 07:35:58 am »

Personally, I think that the timing was too close.

And too public.  Bribes generally aren't done in front of news cameras...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: August 05, 2016, 07:47:03 am »

Hey man, refuge in audacity. Or hiding in plain sight? Something along those lines. It's entirely too early to brain well on less'en four hours of sleep.

Still, you could make the argument it's basic sun tzu-y stuff. When attacking, appear to defend. When bribing, appear to be paying long agreed on reparations. That would assume a lot more competence than I'm particularly willing to give to the folks involved, though, personally...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:50:45 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: August 05, 2016, 08:15:03 am »

Sun Tzu the psychotic dictator?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 05, 2016, 09:32:22 am »

Sun Tzu's aphorisms are generally either obvious or only apply to a small segment of ancient Chinese history.

Now, Goebbel has some useful quotes on the topic
Rather, it depends on a remarkably stupid thick-headedness. The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous.

Even better, you can apply it to whichever party you particularly want.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: August 05, 2016, 09:45:12 am »

The ironic thing about Goebbels is that people think many of his quotes are "how to lie" when he was actually saying "this is how the jews/soviets/english/whoever lie to the german people".  Which is actually very fucking useful information to keep in mind when it comes to accusations of dishonesty...

In more recent news: https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/761222286003281921

To add to that, Clinton has better odds of winning Utah/Texas/Mississippi/Montana then Trump does of winning the electoral college.  Kinda shows the limits of the whole backwards and ignorant red states meme.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:48:47 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 05, 2016, 10:21:00 am »

Still, you could make the argument it's basic sun tzu-y stuff. When attacking, appear to defend. When bribing, appear to be paying long agreed on reparations. That would assume a lot more competence than I'm particularly willing to give to the folks involved, though, personally...
""When capable, feign incompetence.""
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 05, 2016, 10:31:07 am »

When racist and hateful, feign inclusive comradery.

When you desire peace, offer nukes.

When you want an honest, capable leader, choose a foolish illusion.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:40 am »

Guys, do you want to do another needlessly complicated predictions game?  Each player lists:

Battleground) The state where the margin between Clinton and Trump is the smallest (in percent)
Trumped!) The state besides the Battleground where Trump wins by the narrowest margin (in percent)
Record Corrected) The state besides the Battleground where Clinton wins by the narrowest margin (in percent)
Feel the Johnson) The state where Johnson gets the highest percentage
Dilute the vote) The state where Stein gets the highest percentage

If you want to be no fun at all, you are allowed to hedge your bets and predict the same state for multiple categories.  This means you will be wrong but you might minimize your wrongness.

Scoring:
Lowest score wins
-Score for Battleground is how big the margin of victory is is between the correct answer and the player's prediction
-Score for Trumped! is how big the margin is between the correct answer and the player's prediction.  Score is doubled if Clinton wins the state the player predicted.
-Score for Record Corrected is how big the margin is between the correct answer and the player's prediction.  Score is doubled if Trump wins the state the player predicted.
-If Johnson wins the state the player predicted, their score in this category is -10%.  Otherwise their score is the margin between Johnson's percentage in his best state and the state the player predicted.
-If Stein wins the state the player predicted, their score in this category is -10,000%.  Otherwise their score is the margin between Stein's percentage in her best state and the state the player predicted.

Sound good?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 05, 2016, 11:16:43 am »

When racist and hateful, feign inclusive comradery.

When you desire peace, offer nukes.

When you want an honest, capable leader, choose a foolish illusion.
Hey man, if you make mistakes often enough it just might work to set out to achieve the opposite of your goal.

Also, does anyone know when 'creed' dropped from the list of things one is supposed to disregard when looking at one's fellow humans?

And Mainiac: at least for the Iraq sanctions, suffice to say that in my history and current issues classes, I was told that Bill basically ignored Saddam's bullshit, and I still mostly maintain (or maintained when I said it) trust in the information the educational system offers.

On other subjects I still disagree with you.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:20:53 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1249