Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 250658 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #585 on: March 24, 2017, 02:07:04 am »

Netflix wouldn't have this problem, because Netflix doesn't have user-created videos. Vimeo doesn't have this problem, because they charge subscriptions and don't show you ads.

Perhaps the problem isn't inherently tied to Youtube, but what other major community-driven video feeding service with paid ads is there really?

And it's understandable that companies would pull ads. The small amount of brand recognition isn't worth negative backlash from people who never even saw it, because your ads are appearing before extremist videos.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:09:16 am by Reelya »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 24, 2017, 03:35:22 am »

I think it is a much more general problem with internet advertising.  (Aside - worst thing about the internet = advertising, best thing about browsers = ad-blockers.  ;D)  I'm sure there has been a fair bit of embarrassment for some companies with their ads appearing next to sleazy pron material.  Invoking ISIS and targeting Google (already under fire in programmatic advertising for other reasons) just smacks to much of Junior in the days immediately post 9/11 (another aside - oh, that's how we ended up with ISIS, isn't it).  Not that the big G is high on my list of those deserving any defence...

As expressed by someone firmly inside the world of corporate command and control: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/small-business/managing/the-venture/scattergun-online-ads-are-killing-brands-20170321-gv34dz.html

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 24, 2017, 03:37:24 am »

We complain about ads on the internet but ... broadcast TV. 15 minutes per hour completely filled with commercials. Yet ... somehow people complain about internet ad banners more than they ever did about having to spend 1/4 of your time watching forced ads. I mean seriously, consider back in the day you'd watch an 8:30 movie on TV, it would go to 10:30, and you'd have half an hour of ads interrupting the thing, probably about 10-12 three minute ad breaks during the whole movie. Internet is NOT worse than that reality.

Even on Youtube, "scourged" by advertising, you sometimes have to watch 15 seconds of ad before watching a 1 hour video, and people spit the dummy about this, many of the same people who sit through TV ad breaks without batting an eyelid. The problem isn't that there are ads, it's that people have become entitled. Youtube is like old TV would be with millions of channels and you can choose what show you want to watch. The ratio of advertising to content is much, much better than commercial TV.

What the problem is, isn't that there are 15 second of adverts per hour, it's that internet is an interactive medium, and being forced to sit through something you didn't choose makes it feel like that's being taken away, whereas TV is passive. So it's a purely subjective phenomena. 15 seconds of ads per hour on Youtube feels like an affront while 15 minutes of ads per hour on TV feels normal.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:47:33 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 24, 2017, 04:37:07 am »

There are ads on youtube?

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 24, 2017, 10:55:34 am »

Tay2
Rest in peace, Tay. You were murdered too young.   :'(
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 24, 2017, 11:03:33 am »

Blocking ads on TV was never an option though. It kinda sucked, but what could you do besides turn the volume down until your show came back?

TV ads also never opened pop-ups, or made your show take forever to load, or analyzed your browsing habits or gave your TV viruses (which they might now with Smart TVs, I don't know). Internet ads are still complicit in all of these things.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't help but push your luck, can you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 24, 2017, 03:07:14 pm »

Eh, fuck TV. Pointing out that hell exists won't make me grumble any less that they put the wrong kind of cheese on my sandwich.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 24, 2017, 03:43:27 pm »

Hostile ads are the reason I stopped visiting DeviantART (or however they want you to spell it these days).  The last 3 viruses I got came from drive by PDF exploit ads there, which I guess they were unwilling or unable to remove for some reason.

That was years ago though, so maybe it's better now.  I don't particularly care to go check though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 24, 2017, 03:51:04 pm »

Yeah, I have Adblock on because of ads that are intrusive and bog down my browser. Adds on Wikia are particularly egregious. I've got a pretty fast computer, but going on Wikia without Adblock slows Chrome to a crawl.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 25, 2017, 01:55:04 am »

While our illustrious orange skinned leader is busy turning the US into the nightmare fuel dystopia depicted in Judge Dredd, it seems that Silly Valley has been hard at work bringing us the delightful food delivery robots seen in the movie.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/18/14300054/food-delivery-robots-postmates-doordash-us-launch

I admit that some part of me wants to hack one so that it mildly suggests eating recycled food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNw95c75g7o

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 06, 2017, 01:12:03 am »

The latest development in household appliances linked to the internet:

Maker of internet controllable garage doors found a creative solution to bad reviews:
After an unsatisfied customer called his product a 'piece of shit' on the company forums, and on Amazon, the firm's boss snapped, and remotely shut and locked the complaining customer's garage door.

So guys, if you buy an internet controlled product, just always pretend to be a happy customer, or else.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 06, 2017, 07:22:30 am »

Blocking ads on TV was never an option though. It kinda sucked, but what could you do besides turn the volume down until your show came back?
Not strictly true! There's been subscriptions, or specific packaging or programming, or specific hardware, that actually rendered your experience commercial free. Most are/were pretty expensive, though, near as I can recall.

In any case, beyond all you pointed out, I'd say the biggest difference so far as frustration and hostility goes is in the means of interaction. TV is very... sessile. You have little to no interaction with the system itself, and most of your agency comes from choosing channel or turning it off, which you're probably only doing intermittently at best. Meanwhile, most means of access to internet content is much more dynamic and direct; you're not just choosing specifically what, but where, format and resolution, what parts you're watching and so on, all on top of anything else you might be doing with the computer/phone/whatever. The TV ad is interrupting your show (in a way most are specifically designed to accommodate), whereas the internet as is interrupting your everything and interfering with your actions to boot. It's much, much more jarring and intrusive, even if the absolute amount is smaller per unit of content. Ree notes it fairly well, really. Missed it before typing all that at, or I would have just quoted it, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 06, 2017, 07:44:25 am »

Well, yeah, Google doesn't have much options. Either they do nothing and accept that more and more companies will stop advertising via Google, or go full police state on anyone wanting to use ads, or they stop using ads altogether, which would be a bummer for bloggers and indie devs alike. Bye bye source of income.

Um, I don't get it.  What do Google's competitors do which make them immune from the same problem?  Or are these multinationals pulling their internet advertising completely?
They do nothing different, but because Google is often mixed up with 'The Internet in general', they get targetted by all these things first.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 06, 2017, 07:59:47 am »

It is a security hole because none of the things seem to even recognize security is a thing that you need in networking. If theres a part of it that isn't, thats an anomaly and probably costs more than its shittier competition.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 06, 2017, 09:03:21 am »

and the people who handle the risk are asleep at the wheel.
Then the obvious solution to this is more self-driving cars!!!

They've recently been pushing Smart Meters for the electricity, that one can query by your own smart device to keep an eye on your usage and apparently send readings to the billing company, so they either have a mobile SIM in them or are reliant on being given access to your own WAN.

I rather hope the former (I can imagine a bulk deal on many low-bandwidth connections) and then you just need to query the operator's site with an appropriate login to extract your current* statistics, but there's still a bad balance of 'exposure' over 'convenience', potentially.  And that's before it becomes a full-on two-way communication (also advertised as a capability, but not as a function of the Meter, so far as I'm aware) that allows a breach/avoidance of security to switch things on or off against your own wishes.

* Or voltage?  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 158