Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140129 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Philosophical Asparagus
« Reply #915 on: November 23, 2016, 05:55:33 pm »

That might explain my anomalous gender identity as well. In addition to being asexual, I also exhibit schizoid behaviors, and have less need of social interaction. I acknowlege that this is not normal, but other than the strange reactions I get when I do interact with other people, I do not feel deficited.

Note, I do not mean paranoid schizophrenic.

I mean this:

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/schizoid-personality-disorder-symptoms/

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 23, 2016, 05:58:58 pm »

That might explain my anomalous gender identity as well. In addition to being asexual, I also exhibit schizoid behaviors, and have less need of social interaction. I acknowlege that this is not normal, but other than the strange reactions I get when I do interact with other people, I do not feel deficited.

Note, I do not mean paranoid schizophrenic.

I mean this:

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/schizoid-personality-disorder-symptoms/

Sounds a bit like maybe something in the autism spectrum? Not gonna psychomedcialanalyze you here though. Then again, some of those symptoms definetly aren't me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:00:53 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 23, 2016, 06:04:45 pm »

Possibly, but until people get used to me, I am very much the martian in the room in most cases.

It does not fully describe me either. I am capable of social interaction, but I do have "flattened affect". I can come off as cold and emotionless, but this is untrue.

I do not feel a need for constant social interaction. I visit friends maybe once a year, and visits to family are months apart. I am quite content at home.

.however, I have a great many hobbies, but all are solitary.

Not a perfect fit, but no diagnosis ever is.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:11:14 pm by wierd »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 23, 2016, 06:09:38 pm »

Those are gender roles, which are distinct from gender itself.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 23, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »

Can you clarify? The definitions I work with are

Sex: the physical state of the body, featuring Primary (genetic and from birth characteristics), or Secondary (hormonally-derived characteristics). Sex comes in many combinations across a Female-Intersex-Male spectrum, and describes the physical body, reproductive capabilities, and so on, taking intentional modification, surgeries, HRT, or whatever else into account.

Gender: an artificial cultural role assigned to an individual, and enforced by law, peers, or social tradition. These vary from culture to culture, but commonly include expectations of behavior, restrictions on styles of relationship or sexual partnership, standards of appearance, encouraged modes of communication, restriction from performing certain activities, etc. These are generally considered a spectrum, but are hard to classify as such due to the arbitrariness of gender roles, and cultural differences. Common historical examples are "Masculine" and "Feminine".
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:38:54 pm by Solifuge »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 23, 2016, 07:22:14 pm »

Gender is what's between your ears, sex is what's between your legs, sexuality is who is between your legs.

Each is potentially complicated and non-binary, possibly changable and somewhat independent of the others.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 23, 2016, 08:00:20 pm »

Sex: the physical state of the body, featuring Primary (genetic and from birth characteristics), or Secondary (hormonally-derived characteristics). Sex comes in many combinations across a Female-Intersex-Male spectrum, and describes the physical body, reproductive capabilities, and so on, taking intentional modification, surgeries, HRT, or whatever else into account.

Gender: an artificial cultural role assigned to an individual, and enforced by law, peers, or social tradition. These vary from culture to culture, but commonly include expectations of behavior, restrictions on styles of relationship or sexual partnership, standards of appearance, encouraged modes of communication, restriction from performing certain activities, etc. These are generally considered a spectrum, but are hard to classify as such due to the arbitrariness of gender roles, and cultural differences. Common historical examples are "Masculine" and "Feminine".
I believe what you are calling gender and Shadowlord gender role are the same. Likely by gender Shadow is referring to ones sense with respect to themself - the part that can feel incongruent with sex and cause physical as opposed to social dysphoria.

Obviously this is all just a guess of what Shadow means, but a likely one IMO :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 23, 2016, 08:15:31 pm »

I believe what you are calling gender and Shadowlord gender role are the same. Likely by gender Shadow is referring to ones sense with respect to themself - the part that can feel incongruent with sex and cause physical as opposed to social dysphoria.

Obviously this is all just a guess of what Shadow means, but a likely one IMO :P

I agree with Soli's definition of Gender - social construct used to align ourselves with 'like' folk and define sexual attractions outside of biological sex.

Gender roles are fun!

Defined for me, gender roles are: Roles imposed upon a gender (or sex, if you ascribe to binary gender being assigned at birth), such that the gender is expected to act in a certain way and will be socially shunned or otherwise ostracized for acting outside of.

Hence "feminine" and "masculine" gender roles. Boys will be boys and girls should shut up and do what they're told. Not that I believe in gender roles. A dude who wants to cook and clean and be a homebody should be able to do so as much as a woman who wants to be an engineer, for example.

((Oh god what am I getting myself into first the ameripol thread and now this one))

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 23, 2016, 08:25:49 pm »

More useful terms:
Sex. What shape your meat is. Can be specified further - natal sex, current sex, desired sex, etc.
Identity. Your self-concept of who you are. Can be specified further - national identity, sexual identity, gender identity, etc.
Role. What other people expect from/about you. Can be specified further - gender roles, occupational roles, class roles, etc.
Gender. Choice of pronoun. Important because of the roles and identities based on it rather than for its own sake.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 23, 2016, 08:29:50 pm »

More useful terms:
Sex. What shape your meat is. Can be specified further - natal sex, current sex, desired sex, etc.
Identity. Your self-concept of who you are. Can be specified further - national identity, sexual identity, gender identity, etc.
Role. What other people expect from/about you. Can be specified further - gender roles, occupational roles, class roles, etc.
Gender. Choice of pronoun. Important because of the roles and identities based on it rather than for its own sake.

I wouldn't go so far as to say sex is mutable - whether you were born male, female, or intersex is important, medically. It simply shouldn't define you more than what you want it to. It's a distinction for medical purposes, and an important one at that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 23, 2016, 08:33:52 pm »

More useful terms:

I wouldn't go so far as to say sex is mutable - whether you were born male, female, or intersex is important, medically. It simply shouldn't define you more than what you want it to. It's a distinction for medical purposes, and an important one at that.

Useful  endocrine functions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 23, 2016, 08:38:23 pm »

I said it before, but medically speaking sex is totally mutable too; recent genetic research with mice might even lead to transgender fertility and an end to the need for external hormone therapy.

I'd also draw a distinction between a person's primary and secondary sex, for medical reasons. The health concerns of TransMales overlap with the concerns of both cis Males and Females, because hormones etc., and are in some respects unique from cis sexes entirely. Same for TransWomen, or Intersex people. Medicine is still learning to accommodate their needs, and more inclusive study is needed.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 23, 2016, 08:41:17 pm »

I said it before, but medically speaking sex is totally mutable too; recent genetic research with mice might even lead to transgender fertility and an end to the need for external hormone therapy.

I'd also draw a distinction between a person's primary and secondary sex, for medical reasons. The health concerns of TransMales overlap with the concerns of both cis Males and Females, because hormones etc., and are in some respects unique from cis sexes entirely. Same for TransWomen, or Intersex people. Medicine is still learning to accommodate their needs, and more inclusive study is needed.

I stand corrected - that's actually wonderful news. I haven't looked into terribly many papers on the subject.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 23, 2016, 08:43:29 pm »

Right, that's natal sex. Current sex is obviously based on natal sex, but equally obviously, the two aren't the same thing. Your body changes over time based on things that happen to you, including accidents, puberty, hormones, surgery, etc. Natal sex = sex you were at birth.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 23, 2016, 08:49:25 pm »

Tissue printing *will* become a thing in the next 20 years, if we avoid going into a new dark age.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 91