Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When building traditional buildings, which style of roof do you prefer to use?

Flat
- 35 (77.8%)
Mono Pitch
- 0 (0%)
Gable
- 5 (11.1%)
Hip
- 1 (2.2%)
Dutch Gable (hip then gable)
- 0 (0%)
Half Hip (gable then hip)
- 1 (2.2%)
Mansard
- 2 (4.4%)
Gambrel
- 1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Favorite Roof Type  (Read 4040 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Roof Type
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 10:49:37 pm »

It'd be nice if I could do cruck construction, and thatch it.

Flat, though, generally. Often using bridges (for several practical reasons), with walkways of flooring betwixt bridge-pairs, or around bridge-quartets.

Cruck style or half timbered definitely fits the milieu. But the cruck only really refers to the internal framing, using naturally bent timbers, and framing is just not something DF emulates. You could emulate half timbered style by utilizing wood for framing points and filling in with brick (or raw clay, to emulate wattle and daub).

To make your half-timbered buildings look authentic, you could use jetties. They work pretty well, you can see I've done some corbels on the tower tops and they look pretty decent. It's all about getting the scale right, you need to make multi story buildings, or buildings where a story is more than one z-level, or they just plain look weird in 3D.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 12:21:12 am »

Nice looking fortress.  :)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 12:32:39 am »

I think I've only ever done flat roofs, but have considered gable roofs before.  It always seemed like far, far too much work on an already laborious process though, which is the main reason I skipped it.

Maybe I can try it on my expedition leader or nobility's homes next time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 01:42:21 pm »

I usually do a flat roof with slopes on one level, like this:

Code: [Select]
Side View
  ____        Z+2
ΔI====IΔ      Z+1
I======I      Ground Floor

with _ being a floor, I a wall, = a back wall, and Δ a ramp. Wider buildings will get as many additional sloped levels as needed to make it proportional. It looks a lot better in visualizers without being all that much more work.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:44:17 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 05:16:12 pm »

Baffler, I would call that the DF version of a mansard, if you slope all sides, or a gambrel if you only slope two and gable the other two. DF only has one pitch of slope, so sloped then flat looks pretty close. Otherwise you have to do weird step things with floors, ramps and walls, which I have tried and it looks kinda dumb. When I say "Gambrel" or "Mansard"  in DF, I mean just what you have done.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 06:39:15 pm »

Thatched roofs in the UK are made with reeds, but in Japan some of the temples are thatched with willow branches.  They cut the new growth every year while it is still small.  In DF, I tend to imagine that anything made from willow is actually wicker work (willow doesn't make good lumber), so I think that's what I'd use if were making a thatched roof.

The other alternative to this might be to make a sod roof and grow rope reed on it.  I don't think you can farm on ramps, though, so it would have to be flat. :-(

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 07:54:10 pm »

I think you could farm on ramps, if you obsidian-cast them (magma on water) after building the plots. Lots of effort, though.

Heck, just the obsidian-casting by itself can reveal soil floors when dug away (depends on embark), though both saplings and shrubs would nevertheless need soil floor with a soil wall beneath to appear (tested with waiting months and tiletypes).

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »

Honestly the half hip looks the dwarfiest

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »

I really dislike the ramps on roof's for the simple reason that its literally a mechanical function to stop creatures crawling in via the diagonal between the top block and the wall. As it does not stop climbers pathing in or out of the space between that little crack, even dragonfire will brush up against the exterior wall but enter and burn the inside of a house though that so what's the point?
FFF<-
   W

Though conversely, shallow trenches with supports over the top creating a nice weather free patch of shade is much better, if you want to hole in the ground instead go vertically down with ramps and stairways with security checkpoints. Common design for my logging camps is to have log pits aboveground, the workshops aboveground are sheltered but the products are moved via ramp to a underground storage depot.

My ideal corpse pit roof (to keep corpses fresh and out of sight) is about 3 z levels deep with smoothened stone around the pit, 3 z levels high a wall surrounding with pillars on top holding up the roof keeping it outside but also secure and sheltered.

I guess this doesn't really answer the question, but my favourite is flat hillscape AKA no roof because decoration is expensive and fiddly.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 08:11:04 pm »

I really dislike the ramps on roof's for the simple reason that its literally a mechanical function to stop creatures crawling in via the diagonal between the top block and the wall.
One of the reason I like bridge-rooves is that you can seal the diagonal from one side of the roof, creating access from a ramp up to the other, build a retracting roof over side-A, all the while still with access from side-B, then retract this roof and create internal ramp up side-A to build the sealant on side-B, a similar bridge (remove B's ramp) and then either open that as well for the time being or (after removing A's ramp) close side A off.  An all-internal (within protective walls and ditch, in my typical plan, ambusher-proof from anything not also flying) construction project that doesn't leave messy stair-tops covered with locked hatches/etc (with problems of their own) and even looks aesthetically pleasing.

But there are other ways to do it.  e.g. replacing a wall-surrounded centralised ramp access (1 ramp, 7 of eight neighbours a wall, one access tile left as floor, below; ensure all eight neighbours are floored above, as part of the roofing project) with a newbuild wall once you want to stop access (and then a second wall across the 'access neighbour' tile to seal the deal), to similar ends.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 08:14:17 pm »

I just use flat ones.

Put the occasional projection out from the wall on the way up, and a slight overhang at the top.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 10:47:09 pm »

I have a thing for domes.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 03:40:15 am »

I wanted to vote Oignon-Dome but there was no option for it...

Spoiler: Oignon-Dome (click to show/hide)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 02:29:42 am »

i just build the houses into the ground and mountains/hills. no roof but the rock above

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 08:18:04 am »

I've only ever done roofs for fortress entrances, and those have always been flat. Since it's not really visualized and I don't use 3rd party programs for visualization, I've never bothered.
Pages: 1 [2] 3