Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 77675 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS!: One wizard down.
« Reply #435 on: February 10, 2017, 01:34:16 am »

Buy the harness for two silver. Go buy another metal tent for a silver if its big enough to hold the Tarantula and Snakescorpion. If it isn't big enough, buy two tents.

((I've already bought the harness and the first tent.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 10, 2017, 01:39:49 am »

"Marcus thinks camp should be at edge. The less time spent where glass rains from sky, the better."

I'm fine with stopping at the edge.  We're probably going to need to get further in to actually find anything, though.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 10, 2017, 01:57:13 am »

((Missed that somehow.))

Ready to go.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarantula (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #438 on: February 10, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »

The team leaves on the next morning, spidercart laden with supplies. The town sees them out, smiling and cheering but there's something under it. They're glad to be saved but also glad that the saviors are leaving. The carrion creatures that appeared in the woods are looming all around the town, eating each other and staring down as the team leaves. Vultures squawk as villagers cheer and the party has to press into the woods over the corpses of rats and birds. The sky is slate gray and seemingly solid; like a dome of concrete hanging high above.

They travel the entire day; leaving the carrion creatures behind and moving straight through ironwoods along the trail. There is very little to speak of along the way; the trees, though monolithic are seemingly identical to each other and lacking in any kind of detail. The forest of iron pillars ends suddenly and the hard iron ground is replaced with something new. The team is confronted with an undulated expanse of pure white. It looks like a white silk sheet, wrinkled and bunched or perhaps frozen mid-flutter. It is smooth, somewhat shiny and almost totally featureless. And it expands away from them like the sea, stretching off forward and to either side straight to the horizon. 

The party makes camp here, on the edge of this white sea, and spends the night. (-6 food rations) Alanna and Beethro cook, Bill tends to his spider, Marcus regales them with tales that are almost certainly false, and Gordon leaves out a meal for his skittish stalker. They all bed down that night on the white surface of the wastes; is just as hard as the metal earth behind them but somehow, also more comfortable.

They are awakened sometime in the early morning by a sound like cannon fire and blinding flashing lights. The sky is solid purple clouds extending in all directions and matching purple-blue lightning is flickering through them. The lightning is so continuous, so violent that there is no pause between each flash overhead. There is an unbroken flicker of light and arc of electricity, not to mention crash of thunder. The sky roars and shimmers with electricity.  Behind them, the ironwood forest is not so much being struck by lightning as it is simply forming a continuous arc with the clouds, a stream of light and energy that flows down into the tallest trees and leaps between them. Reentering the forest right now would be suicide. But the bolts aren't just falling in the forest, they're falling all around; pillars of blue-purple light flicker and fade across the landscape.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 10, 2017, 09:37:50 pm »

Are the bolts like regular lightning?  Are they landing on high points?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 10, 2017, 11:13:15 pm »

HIDE!  I don't care that we're in a barren wasteland, I'm finding a damn hiding spot!  Make sure the team is between me and the forest, and that I'm not too far from them--but also not too close!

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 10, 2017, 11:22:26 pm »

Make sure that syv doesn't try to hide back in the forest like an idiot.

Spoiler: Gordon Freeman (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 11, 2017, 12:18:39 am »

"The tent! set up the tent! The metal will redirect lightning into the ground!"

TENT

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:53:07 am by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 11, 2017, 12:47:15 am »

"Aye, but let us go one better"

Set the tent up on top of the cart, and use one of the metal poles as a grounding rod for the tent.  Use the other tent for the summons.  Ground that too.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cart (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:51:34 am by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #444 on: February 11, 2017, 03:37:52 pm »

Are the bolts like regular lightning?  Are they landing on high points?
Regular lightning? Questionable. Acting like it, ie seeking out metal and high things? Yes.

"Aye, but let us go one better"

Set the tent up on top of the cart, and use one of the metal poles as a grounding rod for the tent.  Use the other tent for the summons.  Ground that too.

"The tent! set up the tent! The metal will redirect lightning into the ground!"

TENT

Beethro, Alanna and Marcus scramble up and run to the cart, throwing aside crates of provisions until they find the sheet metal and poles to make the iron tents. Beethro grabs the main pole of the tent and begins setting it up as Alanna and Marcus search for the fasteners to keep the sheets affixed to the pole. The tent is pyramid shaped, a single metal pole in the middle with triangular sheets of metal supported from it. When assembled right and pulled together, the sheets form a solid metal barrier to the outside world. Beethro plants the main rod straight into the cart, punching through wood down to the ground below it. The instant the rod touches the ground, a bolt of lightning lashes down and strikes the rod and Beethro, who is still holding onto it. [d20 damage=2. HP 0, 14 str. roll to remain up, passed]. Alanna and Marcus are blown straight out of the cart by the concussive force of the strike, and when they get back up and look to see whats left of Beethro, they find him standing in exactly the same place as before, smoldering slightly, with lichtenburg figures burnt into his arms from his hands to his shoulders. He pulls his hands away from the pole and flexes his  fingers with a look of extreme concentration on his face.

"Hurry up with those sheets please."

Alanna and Marcus look at each other for a moment before jumping back in the cart and finishing the tent, affixing the 4 metal sheets and immediately cowering under them. Beethro sits down slowly suppresses a twitch.  Bill, who says not a word to anyone, quickly assembles the metal ramada he bought for his summons and has them huddle beneath it. He joins them, rather than staying with the rest of the party under the tent.

Make sure that syv doesn't try to hide back in the forest like an idiot.

Spoiler: Gordon Freeman (click to show/hide)
HIDE!  I don't care that we're in a barren wasteland, I'm finding a damn hiding spot!  Make sure the team is between me and the forest, and that I'm not too far from them--but also not too close!

Gordon gets up and immediately starts looking for his skittish stalker/friend. It doesn't take long to find him. Sy comes running from behind one of the nearby dunes, screaming and scampering in random directions with his hands over his ears. It is clear that whatever kind of mind Sy has, it is severely overloaded from exposure to all this fearful danger. He goes from one place to another, attempting to hide beneath dunes that do not shield him from the sky, dropping down into the fetal position before springing back up and running some more.  Gordon runs towards him, yelling over the sound of constant thunder.

"GET OVER HERE! I KNOW YOU'RE AFRAID OF PEOPLE, BUT IF YOU JUST KEEP RUNNING AROUND YOU'RE GOING TO G-"

As he says this, Gordon himself is struck. [d20=13 damage. 0 HP, 0 STR]

Gordon's body detonates, blowing apart from the inside in a burst of gore and purple light as though he had been stuffed with lavender dynamite. Standing where he used to be, in his exact pose, is what appears to be a human nervous system. It's a brain and thick spinal cord, from which emanate thin, delicate looking nerves that form a human shape. It's almost as though the entirety of his body has been rendered completely transparent, leaving only the nerves visible; they still follow the unseen contours of the body, though no part remains to hold them in place. The nerves are bright purple and glowing fiercely, with electricity crackling between them like a Jacob's ladder. The brain is glowing even brighter and releasing constant arcs of electricity like a tesla coil, forming a sort of constantly shifting headdress of lighting.  After a moment the nervous system straightens up and looks around, the brain scanning the horizon in a slow and deliberate fashion. It starts walking, heading off into the Marble wastes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS!: ZAP
« Reply #445 on: February 11, 2017, 03:42:22 pm »

Dammit, how did I know that you would kill me as soon as I saw the turn title? Not kill someone, me in particular. -_-

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 11, 2017, 03:54:49 pm »

"WHAT THE LIVING HELL IS THAT!?"

"ALANNA! Less talking, more shooting!"

"AAAAA"

Shoot it shoot it dead nope nope nope.

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 11, 2017, 04:04:24 pm »

"Get in the tents!  The lightning doesn't take prisoners!"

Get in the tent

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:03:57 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 11, 2017, 04:10:39 pm »

Dance the Thriller.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 11, 2017, 08:35:21 pm »

"AHHHHHHHHH!"

SCREAM ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE TENT!  HIDE INSIDE AMD STAY AS FAR AS POSSIBLE FROM THE LIGHTNING ROD PEOPLE WHILE ALSO STAYING AS FAR FROM THE LIGHTNING ROD STRUCTURE!  ALSO, THROW MY METAL BITS AT THE PEOPLE ONCE I'M INSIDE!

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 53