Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3544 3545 [3546] 3547 3548 ... 3562

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4128573 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #53175 on: July 22, 2024, 04:07:04 am »

As a useless personal anecdote, my dad, despite having rid the world of many small animals with firearms, liked Newsom's ability to debate Desantis , though not having much use for them otherwise I admit. I haven't paid extra attention to either person but Newsom kind of reminds me of Macron, but from California despite the wild political differences. I'm not sure why to be honest. I know California has helped lead the charge in some complainable internet regulation according to Techdirt, but also oil and natural gas HATE that state so they must be doing something right. Sadly I jest of course <turns gas spigot to maximum for duration of wartime needs> I sure hope that works or else I will look silly when it's hot as hell and there's still not many solar panels... or these photon energy thingamajigs that seem too good to be true.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 04:22:30 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53176 on: July 22, 2024, 02:20:50 pm »

or these photon energy thingamajigs that seem too good to be true.
Those collectors are interesting... with those concave dimples and the claims of higher ratios of light captured, they look intended to trap photons in the surface layer in the same way that radar waves are trapped in the surface layers of stealth aircraft, but presumably to funnel the photons rather than ejecting them elsewhere. The angles remind me of flowers.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #53177 on: July 22, 2024, 05:07:41 pm »

Gavin Newsom would be the pick, since he's been in the news lately, but he can't be picked as VP since both of them are from California.

Them being from the same state would not matter anywhere except California, though that's an important "except". The bigger problem with Newsom is that he's pretty much the Democratic equivalent of Ron Desantis - a grandstander who is reasonably popular in his own state but who is despised by same-party voters in many others. Picking him would straight forfeit many key battleground states.
Agreed. At the very least, a Harris-Newsom ticket would lose the gun-owning swing-states. I can't think of a less anti-2A ticket.

Beshear (the governor of KY) is getting a lot of noise and would be a good choice for this reason.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53178 on: July 22, 2024, 09:42:29 pm »

Gavin Newsom would be the pick, since he's been in the news lately, but he can't be picked as VP since both of them are from California.

Them being from the same state would not matter anywhere except California, though that's an important "except". The bigger problem with Newsom is that he's pretty much the Democratic equivalent of Ron Desantis - a grandstander who is reasonably popular in his own state but who is despised by same-party voters in many others. Picking him would straight forfeit many key battleground states.
The VP and President candidates are required to be from separate states, at least on paper.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53179 on: July 22, 2024, 09:46:09 pm »

The VP and President candidates are required to be from separate states, at least on paper.
Not required, but electors from a given state can't cast both their votes for people from the same state. So electors from California could not vote a straight Harris/Newsom ticket.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53180 on: July 23, 2024, 09:45:43 pm »

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53181 on: July 23, 2024, 11:47:43 pm »

How often does a twitter account get more than 500k new users in a day? And if 500k were able to follow, how many were not? This could be more of a traffic jam than an intentional throttling.

I miss nitter...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53182 on: July 24, 2024, 03:05:18 am »

Heh, Musk dumped Trump and says he isn't going to donate $45m a month to him after all.

Republican leaders urge party to steer clear of all the racist and sexist attacks against Harris, because lolofcourse the republicans have already started shit like saying she wasn't born in the country, that she was a DEI hire, nasty sexist shit, ect. I wonder if she will get the gold star of being called the antichrist like Obama got.
How often does a twitter account get more than 500k new users in a day? And if 500k were able to follow, how many were not? This could be more of a traffic jam than an intentional throttling.
Yeah, on one hand its probably just a routine anti-bot thing. On the other hand Musk is 100% petty and childish enough to do something like this on purpose.

Quote from: CNN
JD Vance first VP pick since 1980 to have net-negative rating after announcement
Also lol, get wrecked douchbag.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53183 on: July 24, 2024, 12:27:44 pm »

Beshear (the governor of KY) is getting a lot of noise and would be a good choice for this reason.

That guy is fanatastic. So it's probably going to be one of the shit conspirators of 2020 instead.
let

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53184 on: July 24, 2024, 01:23:13 pm »

Heh, Musk dumped Trump and says he isn't going to donate $45m a month to him after all.

This is behind a paywall so I can't verify it, but I read that this came after Trump started bashing on EVs in one of his speeches.  There's probably a joke about the Leopards Eating Faces Party in there somewhere.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53185 on: July 24, 2024, 01:33:30 pm »

To be clear, Musk never said he was going to donate that in the first place.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53186 on: July 24, 2024, 03:17:27 pm »

Thank you for clearing that up, everything makes more sense now.

Musk never publicly said that he was going to make those donations.  The Wall Street Journal reported that he was privately planning to, and they're not generally known for completely fabricating stories.  But MS here has good reason to believe that they did, this time!  Simply made it up for obscure but clearly nefarious purposes.  They're probably jealous of his dad's apartheid money or something.

I sure hope this gambit was worth your reputation, WSJ!  I can only hope and pray that MS deigns to share their evidence of this travesty of journalistic integrity, since I (foolish woman that I am) can't yet find confirmation on Altavista OR Zombocom.

I can only imagine what it will mean for the WSJ and the entire media landscape.  Was it a rogue "journalist", driven to madness by his recent Tesla purchase?  Or was it a deeper conspiracy?  I wish the best for MS's source, presumably a whistleblower at the WSJ. 
I hope they aren't Boeing to die!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53187 on: July 24, 2024, 03:37:29 pm »

They cited “people familiar with the situation” which is journalistic talk for “we are probably talking out of our arse”.

Musk said it was fake news at the time, and the PAC he was meant to be donating to haven’t listed him as a donor.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53188 on: July 24, 2024, 03:55:33 pm »

It's journalistic talk for every single story that isn't public knowledge, instead relying on sources exposing information without also exposing themselves. 

Musk lies.  That and trying to wriggle out of payments is his entire life.  that and "functional" drug abuse

Newspapers don't make a habit of outright lying because they operate based on their reputation.  And bending the truth is easier.  Still, I guess that's two votes for "The WSJ contains a conspiracy who outright fabricated a story about a Trump supporter supporting Trump".

I haven't heard any evidence or even a motive, just that Elon denied it.  Cool.  Elon just told Jordan Peterson that wokeness "killed" his [daughter], he's definitely a trustworthy source for news which directly involves him.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53189 on: July 24, 2024, 05:47:51 pm »

Yeah there’s never, in the history of journalism, been an example of a journalist using “sources familiar with the situation”or the like to make up lies, is there? For every Deep Throat, there is a Janet Cooke.

“Sources familiar with the situation” is not evidence he said he’d donate $45m a month to Trump. The janitor of his building who hears snippets of conversation in passing is a source familiar with the situation. It could be a staffer on his team who hates him. Familiarity does not equal honesty.

Just because I would prefer a higher level of credibility from sources than you does not mean I believe the WSJ is engaging in a conspiracy to… well, I don’t even know what you’re thinking there. I appreciate the lovely strawman you’ve built regardless.

I’m not sure what Musk talking nonsense about his daughter, taking drugs, and being a general shit has to do with his ability to tell the truth. He has no problem saying he supports Trump, he has no problem being photographed with Trump, he is perfectly content throwing around conspiracies about the Democrats and progressives, why would he draw the line at saying he’s donating to Trump? Make that make sense for me.

Pages: 1 ... 3544 3545 [3546] 3547 3548 ... 3562