Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 378841 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3240 on: June 17, 2017, 04:18:30 am »

FUTURE DESIGN NOT NOW: Blastboat

This is a small row boat sized ship made of crystal with a hardened bottom.  A super high powered blastball spell is cast under it, shooting it up into the sky.  Done repeatedly it can stay aloft for a while, but more importantly it is very fast to fly up, where it can unload several armed men directly onto enemy airships!

It's a first generation rocket powered airship.
This seems like it would be better done with some kind of variant of Fire Wall with Concussion mixed into it rather than than C-balls. C-balls are good for explosions, but what you're looking for seems like some kind of continuous effect, which is what Fire Wall is. Definitely not a bad idea, though. The fact that our circuits means we can have continuous effects running forever means this could definitely be a possibility.

Glory to Arstotzka.

I am up to any suggestion to revising my idea so it actually works.

Also I was thinking over the summoning ammunition idea, what if we just make a mini crystal-works factory as part of the cannon,. to keep summoning crystal cannon balls.  Summon, blastball, summon, blastball.  Even if the crystal has a weaker punch then stone steel or lead it would fire much faster.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: June 17, 2017, 05:18:25 am »

FUTURE DESIGN NOT NOW: Blastboat

This is a small row boat sized ship made of crystal with a hardened bottom.  A super high powered blastball spell is cast under it, shooting it up into the sky.  Done repeatedly it can stay aloft for a while, but more importantly it is very fast to fly up, where it can unload several armed men directly onto enemy airships!

It's a first generation rocket powered airship.
I feel that we would be better with a pulse-jet than an orion drive. It would be more focused and controllable.
Scootgun
We build an open wagon from crystal, add an extra two pairs of slightly-raised wheels on triangular stalks front-and-back for stability, stick our smallest cannon on it, add a metal rod to attract lightning instead of the cannon, and then put three pulse-jets at the back to make it go-fast.

Pulse-jet
A crystal tube with two necks with cages on one side and a tightly-fitting cork loose within the cages. A repeating boomball spell is remotely detonated between the two necks. The boomball pushes the front cork into the neck and [atmospheric medium] out the back. The sudden absence of the boomball pulls the rear cork into the neck and pulls [atmospheric medium] into the front. This produces a jet of [atmospheric medium] in one direction in frequent pulses.

This design was a fairly obvious attempt to produce fireball-based propulsion. it started with a one-sided tube, but the fireball would suck the tube backwards after pushing it forwards. Then we tried a mechanical cork system to close it, but the cork kept getting pushed out. At that point we realised that the cork would be pushed closed if we had the correct mechanisms to do so, which was pretty easy with summoned parts.
The blast spell would improve it. Really, this is just crystals and fireball. It is a revision. Actually, so is the cart.. the scoot-gun would totally work as a revision! Oh, wait, the repeating spell is sort of... well, we have loads of circuits, and it is pretty much a continuous fog... Really, this is all existing magics...
Certainly having access to water is useful, but do you really think it is more important than a lightning counter? The reports haven't made any specific mention of us needing water, and I imagine that our supply trains mitigate any critical needs for it. It really just seems low priority right now.
The trains have lots of things to carry and water is heavy and bulky. Ships need to return to port to get it. This would give our ships much better navigable range, improve morale, make us less exposed to skirmish stage if that is still a thing, improve health and recovery, add extra ammunition transportation and increase the ability of our forces to skirmish by freeing them up from having to expose themselves by trafelling to water sources. It is basically a small-large bonus to pretty much everything. Provided that it is potable. If it is not potable then it misses out on a lot of goodies, but we do have permanent conjuration of crystals so it is not that far-fetched.

As for not voting for anything else? I prefer CCC to insulation and CCC was first, so I won't vote for insulation, and it seems like a dead-end unless we go into electrical engineering, which seems like going too far, but whatever... And we could make electrical cicuits with other stuff, conductive crystal would be redundant enough to not bother with.

Beachfront frost would be good, and resist lightning, but apparently our frost is doing nothing to stop their weather now, because mountais are super-cold with absolutely nothing possible except for blizzards, but apparently they are lightning blizzards... So given that temperature is not a thing anytmore, I guess beach freezers are sort of pointlesss, and the main cited advantage is to stop ground landings, and they are using air landings, in the middle of a thunderstorm... so there is not any point.

The mist seems insane for a revision, is a giant "ballistae aims here!" sign over our wizards, can just be avoided... It is just a big no on that one even if it were possible.

ETA is too ambicious. maybe. It is probably worth a shot but I am just not feeling it.

CCC FFF ABC LOCO, big dummies, and scootgun are mine, so I don't vote for them.

Insulating crystal just seems kind of like a big effort for a small result. CCC is just better. It is more likely to work and offers better advancement and a better material... I just can't vote for Inzsulating Crystal while CCC is on the table, and I can't vote for CCC necause it is mine, and even if I could, it is a bulky design, we likely can't use it everywhere, there may be supply issues, if we really wanted to get rid of the lightning then big dummies would be quick, simple, and effective. And I really do think that water could be good enough to justify itself. It won't stop them, no, but it might open up enough options to do something really nice next turn and the insular crystal doesn't do that.
Okay, fine, I do want to be immune to lightning, but we can do better than to do it with a material that we need to cover everything with.. It is not a terrible idea. It will probably work as advertised, which would be a refreshing change, but still, not good enough.

I am happy with water as my choice. I would vote for one of my own things instead given the choice. Probably CCC to fix our armour and leverage it into discardding sabots next turn. Scootgun would be very effective on open land though, it would probably hold us the jungle and plains. And it would reveal if lightning rods, real lightning rods, actually work, because that is dead easy to do for all of our stuff and protects an area... Nt to mention pulse-jets are a faster form of propulsion and, well, they are legitimately going to be jets and as far as I can see there are no new elements, so they are basically guaranteed to work?
Revisions:
1 - Conjure Water: RAM
0 - Beachfront Frost Tower:
0 - Anti-Magic Mist:
1 - ETA: helmacon
0 - Crystal Durability:
0 - Creepy Crawly Crystals:
0 - Furthest Forever Frost:
0 - Antimagic Bomb Concussive:
0 - Lead Overlayed Crystal Ordnance:
0 - Big Dummies:
5 - Insulating Crystal: Chiefwaffles, Helmacon, Kadzar, FallacyofUrist, Andres
0 - Scootgun:
0 Save the revision credit for later use:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: June 17, 2017, 05:39:06 am »

We can't "waste" the free engine bonus. It's always been the precedent that upgrades to components used in existing designs will be retroactive to their designs. It doesn't matter when or where we upgrade the engine; it'll always be applied to all our future and past engine-using design.
it tries to put something too big for trains onto something that doesn't go on tracks
Well, yeah. That's the point. This is without a doubt something that we would not get penalties for. We got a -1 to effectiveness on a tracked APC when Evicted misinterpreted the Restless design. Now that we'll have a better engine and experience with engine-powered land vehicles, this part wouldn't be a problem.

But again, that form of the HA-2 was mostly just a brainstorm design. Not something I'm sold on.

Future Design: AS-LFV-1
Land Fighting Vehicle

The AS-LFV-1 is an all-crystal enclosed land vehicle powered by a steam engine. It's equipped with an AS-HAC-1 and a single frontal HC1-E cannon. It seats 8 people along with a fairly large amount of ammunition.

Inside, the steam engine is placed horizontally along the center of the vehicle. The LFV-1's steam engine has made radical improvements over our old steam engines (using the free upgrade) via the use of the Concussive fireball "Blastball" variant. The Blastball allows for greatly increased efficiency in the steam engines, letting us make a much smaller steam engine providing much more power.
As the LFV-1 is lighter than a fully-loaded (or even partially-loaded) Restless and uses an improved steam engine, it should have much greater general power and speed. It'll be able to handle steeper inclines, it'll go much faster, and more. This steam engine upgrade should be applied to all designs using the steam engine as well.

The AS-LFV-1 is an entirely crystal design. It should be resistant to any kind of environmental hazard or threat posed by Moskurg thanks to its armor. Crystal Glass is used extensively here - the area near the driver's seat is made almost entirely out of crystal glass, allowing for great vision ahead of the vehicle. A large and fairly tall crystal glass "window" runs unending horizontally through the entire design, starting at one end of the crystal glass front viewing port, and ending at the other side. Visibility is not a problem.
The driver's seat is placed towards the left side of the front, with the HC1-E taking up the space on the right.

The HC1-E is surrounded by crystal glass, allowing the operator(s) to easily see where they're targeting. The HC1-E is built "halfway" between the inside and outside of the vehicle, with the barrel both starting and ending outside. A set of gears, based on the design of the AS-HAC-1, allow the inside operator to easily manipulate the orientation of the HC1-E barrel for simple aiming. The HC1-E is of course a very destructive weapon, and should prove devastating up close.

The AS-HAC-1 is located on the top. The actual weapon is outside, but its aiming mechanics have been tweaked to allow a person in a small raised Crystal Glass portion on the top of the vehicle to control it from inside. The AS-HAC-1 has 360 degrees of firing angles horizontally and 180 degrees vertically. The raised crystal glass "firing seat" is just high enough to allow for the single operator to see anywhere it can aim without blocking areas from being shot at by the AS-HAC-1. This crystal glass enclosure completely protects the operator while giving them total visibility.

The AS-LFV-1 can fit a total of 10 people, including the driver and HC1-E operator, while the AS-HAC-1's ease of use allows for it to be easily powered by an apprentice while doing something else and easily controlled by any passenger. Seating is placed on the sides of the interior, facing the steam engine. All passengers can be wearing full Combat Armor while riding, and there's enough storage space for a very sizeable amount of ammunition for the cannons and weaponry (AS-R1s, Crystal Axes, or Broadswords) of the passengers.

Finally, the AS-LFV-1 is to be made anti-magic resistant. We believe we can "insulate" our circuits and Magegems to prevent anti-magic from "draining" them. The magical energy will be secured inside the circuits via magical insulation (based off of our insulating crystal) and thus safe from anti-magic. The top priority for anti-magic resistance is the steam engine first, and cannons second.

The AS-LFV-1 should be a devastating design. It can securely transport our troops to the front lines while under any amounts of enemy fire. It can roll through enemy fortifications, provide serious fire support at very close range, and more. It'll be a design to change the nature of the war. Due to the crystal construction, the Expensive steam engine, the Cheap HC1-E, and the Expensive AS-HAC-1, the AS-LFV-1 should very easily be an Expensive design.

TL;DR: A fighting vehicle designed to transport troops and provide serious fire support. I believe it shouldn't be hard (but should be easy to make Expensive) to do, but will save my reasoning for if/when I submit this as an actual design.

And now, an explosive shell worthy of a design. Though I still probably think revising one using our experience with the Blastball and Equalizer is better.
Future Design: Blastshell
The Blastshell is a shell powered by a continuous concussive blast. The Blastball variant propelling it is powered by an AA Magegem; this may not be the optimum amount of power for a true Blastball, but the Blastball only needs to add to its velocity. Our Mathemagicians are calling this "rocket propulsion". We've made a rocket-propelled shell.

This method of propulsion should greatly increase the range of any cannons using it to levels we haven't ever seen before. HC1-Es will be able to fire at Beyond LoS range, HA1s will be able to fire even further, and who knows about the AS-HAC-1s.

But that's not it. Another AA Magegem inside the shell powers an additional Blastball variant. On impact, a circuit connected to the AA Magegem will activate, activating the "stored' Blastball. The entire shell will detonate in a huge explosion that also includes lethal shrapnel from its broken-apart crystal exterior. The Blastball won't be "fully powered", but as this variant doesn't require its own propulsion and dedicates more magical energy to pressure rather than heat like the Fireball, the explosion from a landing Blastshell should be just as, if not more, devastating compared to a PSF.

The entire shell is made out of machine crystal, making it cheaper, and allowing for very effective fragmentation when it detonates. Finally, we're taking advantage of our Crystal's relative brittleness! The cheap crystal shell and our experience with similar special shells should make handling the Blastshell's expense fairly easy. We're aiming for a Cheap shell, but an Expensive one is... acceptable.

The Blastshell does require two new variants of the Blastball, but they're both minor and at this point, making new variants in the Fireball family is as easy as breathing for Arstotzkan mathemagicians.

And another Gyrocopter!
AS-AFV-1 "Gyrocopter"
Aerial Fighting Vehicle

The AFV-1 is a remarkable design. Via the use of the Concussive fireball "Blastball" variant, we've made a greatly improved steam engine. The Blastball allows for greatly increased efficiency in the steam engines, letting us make a much smaller steam engine providing much more power. With this innovation in steam engines, the impossible is now possible: A flying steam-powered vehicle. A lighter and more powerful steam engine finally allows us to realize this dream.

The AFV-1 is a small design. The "cockpit" is almost entirely crystal glass, allowing for unrestricted vision in nearly any direction. Two hatches on the side allow for the single operator to get in and out easily.
Behind the cockpit is the steam engine which is encased in just enough crystal to allow for it to resist a direct Ballista bolt, but is still relatively exposed.
Directly above the steam engine and cockpit is the vertical rotor facing upwards, which is unpowered.
Behind the steam engine is the main rotor, facing away from the helicopter, powered by the steam engine. Of course, there's a lot of details for our Mathemagicians to handle, but the basic concept is that by spinning the main rotor, we can create forward thrust. This forward thrust will interact with the vertical rotor which will then create upwards thrust.

Located on the front of the cockpit are two fixed AS-HAC-1 cannons. These cannons are still breech-loaded, but can be both fired at once then loaded on the return run. A decent amount of ammunition is stored in the cockpit; not enough to allow long-term independent operation, but still fairly large amounts of ammo without compromising the weight.

The AFV-1 requires a small runway to take off. As a part of this design, we aim to also quickly jury-rig a runway on the side of each Crystalclads to allow for their own AFV-1(s).

TL;DR: A Gyrocopter equipped with two AS-HAC-1 cannons.
I don't think we should go for this yet. Let's wait until we have a better propulsion method or engine. Like the IDE!

And finally.
Future Revision: Internal Detonation Engine
We believe we can make the engine of the future.
The Internal Detonation Engine is an engine making full use of the Fireball Concussive Variant - the Blastball. We realized that our current method with the steam engine is simply inefficient. We could be doing so much more, especially with the blastball.

The IDE works off of a series of contained Blastball detonations - hence the name. At first, we tried using a series of pistons in the steam engine - having the steam push up the piston then gravity pulling it back down. But it turned out that this wouldn't work well with steam. So we made another change - the Blastball. Instead of using steam, we decided to cut out the middleman just like we did with our cannons. Very small Blastball variants detonate inside small chambers covered by pistons. The piston is pushed outwards by the detonation, applying torque to a ring ultimately connected to a crankshaft that will extend outwards from the engine to power other things.

Conduits on the crankshaft connect and disconnect circuits as it moves, allowing for the blastball detonation to occur in the right pattern based on load in an easy way, without the need for complex oversight or timer circuits. With this, we can use multiple engines all connected to the same crankshaft allowing for direct addition of more power. It would be nearly impossible for a human mage to be able to time his Blastballs correctly, so instead power is input into an AA Magegem connected to the Blastball circuits. Of course, the engine will be able to last zero seconds without power input, but the Magegem allows for a mage to simply "input" power into one place instead of summoning each spell manually.
The Blastballs used are specialized variants greatly reduced in scale. Their power is enough to push the pistons for maximum engine power output, but the smaller-scale compared to the squad-destroying PSF should mean we can greatly reduce the thickness of the crystal used in the construction of the engine, and it should reduce the power input requirement for mages and in the future, better magegems.

The result is amazing. Groundbreaking, even. The IDE can output massive amounts of power at a radically decreased size. Our vehicles will be able to be much lighter with much more power. Our trains and Crystalclads should go much faster, and new applications of the engine we never thought could happen before will become possible.
We hope to be able to incorporate the IDE in our current steam engine designs, as the IDE still outputs power in the same way. It's just smaller and more powerful.

Difficulty - The miniature Blastball variants should be extremely easy to do - just scale down the blastball. Considering how easy we made the Blastball variant, something even simpler like scaling it down shouldn't even be worth factoring into the difficulty.
How is this possible in a revision? - Well, think of it this way; we have the "steam engine credit" that Evicted gave us, allowing us to upgrade our engine for free as a part of a relevant action. So really, we effectively have two revisions. So the first revision is making the steam engine piston-based (we made it turbine-based in a revision!), and the second revision is making the piston-based engine work on Blastballs instead of steam.
Expense - Well, the steam engine is Expensive and it's pretty complex. The internal detonation engine is more-so moving the complexity sideways which happens to greatly increase efficiency. Its crystal construction and our experience with mechanics should all help to hopefully make it Expensive.

Sidenote: I should make another Submarine design. Alternatively, instead of something like the Dreadnought design, we could make a new Cheap boat equipped with a new steam engine, enclosed in crystal, and equipped with a single HC1-E. Has a small crew of maybe like 4. Should be pretty effective?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:46:31 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: June 17, 2017, 08:29:58 am »

I'll post my own version of Gyrocopter, of the "fantasy helicopter" kind (as in, it can hover)

Gyrocopter version A (designation pending)

Our turbine blades use air flux to produce rotation, but we can reverse the mechanism, applying rotation to create an air flux. This would allow us to lift vehicles like the primitive moskurg carpets.
However, we need a source of motile strength to rotate it. Our steam engines could work, but they are heavy. Our blastball offers us a solution: at the end of each blade of the rotor, there is a barrel open on one side. inside the barrel, a blastball is cast, many times. Just as it can propel a projectile at high speed, so the blastball/cans can apply great force on the rotor. Those blastball engines are powered from the vehicle through circuitry and magegems.  While magegems aren't enough to power the device by themselves, they allow to smooth the pulsed input required by continuously firing blastballs.

The cabin itself is made entirely on crystal, except for leather covering on the chairs for the comfort of our soldiers. Transparent crystal is used in a big frontal window and a smaller ring all around the cabin for great view.

2 AS-HAC-1 cannons are included in the design, sticking out of the frontal window. Holes in the frontal window are provided to allow them limited mobility. Relatively flexible hard boiled leather closes the small gap between the cannon and the hole in the crystal, sealing the cabin against attacks.

The crew includes a pilot/captain to plot the course and direct the craft, a magic user to power the engines and 2 gunners/reloaders

--------------

I still need to think of the best way to direct it ( how do we make it turn, or go ahead? for the latter, movement of center of mass would work, but rotation on a tip jet design is a concern. Additional blastjets may be used).
Furthermore, I am concerned by number of gunners. I htink either I iwll reduce it to one cannon, or go for a twin cannon like waffles's design.
Input is welcome.

PS: Tip jets are a thing that actually exist, for some reason.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: June 17, 2017, 12:42:08 pm »

Revision: Insulating Crystal [1+1]

The ordered structure of crystal apparently lends itself quite well to the flow of lightning.  An adjustment to the structure can be made that doesn't necessarily disallow lightning to flow, but does make the journey much more difficult.  Unfortunately, the more difficult crystal causes it to become quite hot when struck by lightning, causing it to actually partially liquify at the insanely high temperatures.  For the people inside the armor, this is a Very Bad ThingTM.

Fortunately, much like the Moskurgs themselves, lightning is very lazy and would prefer an easier path.  A braided steel wire runs from the right foot of the Combat Armor, up the leg, up the back, and finally terminating in a short antenna on the helmet.  Preliminary tests show that this should give the lightning an easier path to travel, although it is likely the "lightning rod" won't survive the initial hit.  The soldier would get knocked over when the wire explodes into a fine mist of super-heated steel vapor, but provided he doesn't get struck twice he should be fine.  The worst we could expect from the initial lightning strike is the sudden pressure cracking parts of the armor, but that should be it.

We've taken the liberty of adding six of these antennas to the full-crystal Crystalclad and changing the structure to the more lightning-resistive crystal type, which should give it a few strikes worth of survivability. 

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: June 17, 2017, 01:01:54 pm »

Well fuck. We should have done the anti lightning first, so we fix it if we needed to.

Still, this should be fine for what we need. Our boats can get in close, sink a few enemy's, and pull out to replace their lightning rods before they get disabled. It forces us to use more "hit and run" tactics, but at least we can fight them again.

Our massive infantry advantage might be able to brute force our way through as well, working with our massive artillery advantage.

Next turn we ought to design the new engine with the engine credit and all our experience, and maybe revise auto loading for our artillery? The auto loading would transition nicely to automatic rifles. It would help infantry and be nice for our future gyrocopters.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: June 17, 2017, 02:46:27 pm »

For a revision next turn, assuming the armor works well and our infantry turn out to be usable again, we should really revise magegems so that they're cheaper so that we can field more rifles.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: June 17, 2017, 03:04:56 pm »

GM, how is Moskurg able to survive in the Mountains at all? Our frost towers turn even the Jungle into Taiga levels of cold. We should have enough frost towers to send the Mountains into a sub-Taiga level of cold, cold enough that only Arstotzkans could survive. (Obviously we will not send the maximum amount of frost towers there as we can, because that would even kill Arstotzkans.)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: June 17, 2017, 03:11:41 pm »

For a revision next turn, assuming the armor works well and our infantry turn out to be usable again, we should really revise magegems so that they're cheaper so that we can field more rifles.

I would rather get them more powerful. same effect for the rifle because we can use smaller ones, but it allows us to play with higher power spells.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: June 17, 2017, 03:50:31 pm »

I would rather get them more powerful. same effect for the rifle because we can use smaller ones, but it allows us to play with higher power spells.
We can make a high-powered variant, too, but, as it is now, they're limited to being Very Expensive for non-mages. So reducing the expense of magegems should net us some increased fire-rate and help in other areas where gems are used. And, at this point, making a more powerful magegem would just give us a more portable though maybe not as powerful artillery piece that requires National Effort.

Preedit: Looking at your post again, I guess what you meant was that we'd increase the power of gems at all levels, so that each would have power level of the next one up? I guess that might work, though I'd think trying to just make them cheaper would more reliably achieve what we want.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: June 17, 2017, 03:53:58 pm »

Future Design: Blastshell

The Blastshell is an all-crystal shell. Inside it are two AA-size magegems and some circuitry. The circuitry is set to create a Blastball configured for the 2x AA gems when sufficient pressure is applied to the tip of the shell, such as an impact with the target.

When the Blastshell hits it target, the circuit triggers, the Blastball is created, and the shell explodes with it. Lethal crystal shrapnel is sent out everywhere as the (relatively) brittle crystal shell breaks apart. The actual Blastball has a wide area of effect itself, and will devastate the surroundings far more effectively than a fireball wasting energy on heat as well as expansion.
The 2x AA Magegems means the Blastball isn't as effective as it could be, but without wasting energy on propulsion, the explosion should still be very respectable.
The Blastshell does require a specially configured Concussive Fireball (Blastball), yes, but considering the ease with which we created the Blastball and Flare, something like this should be extremely easy.

A requirement for this design was configuring our circuits to be able to resist Moskurg anti-magic. It was discovered that if we "insulate" the circuits with a variant of Crystal, then magic can't "leak" outside of the circuits due to anti-magic. Therefore, the circuits can continue operating even in anti-magic fields. The shell won't suddenly become a dud if under the influence of anti-magic.
We hope to apply this anti-magic resistance to as many circuits as possible, starting with that of the AS-R1.

The Blastshell is to be created for two cannons in particular: The AS-HAC-1 and the AS-HA1. After this is done, variants can be made for other cannons and maybe our Mathemagicians can even look into the possibility of a less-explosive-but-still-explosive variant for the AS-R1.

The result is devastating. An explosive shell that can spread devastation over a large area. It can also be used to break through Moskurg's armor present on their airships and boats, instead of the shell merely ricocheting or shattering against the armor.
TL;DR: An explosive shell that's resistant to anti-magic. And if possible, we should apply the anti-magic resistance to the AS-R1 + all our other circuit-based designs.

Then we can revise the Magegems to be more powerful, making the AS-R1 just Expensive for Mundane soldiers and increasing the explosive power of the Blastshell.
@Kadzar: Basically, yeah - increase the power of the gems so New AAA = Old AA, New AA = Old A, etc.; this serves the same purpose as cheapening the Magegems (we can use Expensive AAs for the AS-R1 instead of Very Expensive As) while also increasing their max power. Whereas cheapening them isn't as effective since the AAA size is already Cheap.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: June 17, 2017, 04:29:27 pm »

Where do you want to redeploy Myark?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: June 17, 2017, 04:36:53 pm »

Probably the mountains?
If Moskurg didn't do much this turn then we don't really need him anywhere. But if Moskurg did more than us I'd really rather not lose any more land in the mountains.

The resource bonus isn't great but I'd also really like it for Moskurg to never get a metal bonus.
Maybe the Jungle could work for Myark?

From Discord: Send him to the Northern sea.
MYARK
3 - Send to Northern Sea: Chiefwaffles, helmacon, Andrea
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:43:50 pm by Chiefwaffles »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: June 17, 2017, 05:16:23 pm »

I'll post my own version of Gyrocopter, of the "fantasy helicopter" kind (as in, it can hover)
Our blastball offers us a solution: at the end of each blade of the rotor, there is a barrel open on one side. inside the barrel, a blastball is cast, many times.
I still need to think of the best way to direct it
Input is welcome.
I feel that the barrel design would not work very well. It is basically a directed explosion, which would be unstable and suffer from negative pressure after exploding. This would be made much worse if, as I suspect, magical pressure does not create material. So it would actually create a massive vacuum at ground zero. There would still be propulsion, much of the vacuum wold be filed from the sidez while most of the exposion would be directed backwards, but it'll be crazy rough. Additionally, the efficiency would be dependant upon how far the burst makes it from the tube, so you would want larger explosions, and thus heavier tubes, and thus more weight to lift. I would suggest using my pulse-jets instead as they are basically the same thing but with a consistent direction of flow and less pressure requirements... They are also easy to make aside from the repeating spell, which you can get from continuous fog...

I do not think that directing it would be a problem if the wingtips are sorted. It should be easy enough to replicate the wing-jets to get the main thrust along the centre of gravity and a separate steering jet on a swivel... It is a lot of extra thrusters but it ought to be light enough if they are directly powered by magic... Of course, pulse-jets would be a little awkward because they need air intake, but that should be possible to deal with.

Alas, I feel that the kegger air-control is too great for us to attack them. The helicopters could be flipped using wind and would need lightning rods that don't melt. We would be better off denying the air entirely, which would be easy if we just built the Celestedemorte or tower of unmagic. Finally, I think that we should build naval propellors before we try air propellors, it just seems like too much of a leap. Or we cold build wings, I mean, we have hawks already, they have wings, may as well build pulsejet-aeroplanes instead of helicopters if we want things that have actually been observed.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: June 17, 2017, 05:47:53 pm »

I will examine your turbojet design more tomorrow or at least when I am more awake and alert. For some reason, maybe writing style or maybe because I usually read them when fatigued, I often have trouble interpreting your designs. That doesn't mean they can't be useful.

That said, it will probably take a while to get to flying machines anyway, who knows what will happen by the time we get there.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:51:38 pm by andrea »
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 301