Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 378818 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1740 on: May 01, 2017, 04:12:30 pm »

Wow, that's a mean modifier.

On a side note, does that mean it's more expensive than our common ships but cheaper than a national effort?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:16:55 pm by 10ebbor10 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: May 01, 2017, 04:14:18 pm »

Simplified Frost Tower: We've simplified the Tower of Forever Frost while still keeping its potency and scale. Now we don't need Myark to operate it. However, it's still likely very expensive(not that that matters, we only need one per theatre).
~~~
And then we can deploy Frost towers in the Mountains as well as in the Jungle. Which is good, because if we can't keep ahold of the Mountains, and hence don't have that metal bonus, we're basically done for.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: May 01, 2017, 04:15:07 pm »

1 Simplified frost tower 10ebbor10
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:17:09 pm by 10ebbor10 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: May 01, 2017, 04:20:09 pm »

It's the expense of all it's components loaded into one item.  With only one "working" prototype, three cannons allotted per theatre, double steam engines, and no metal bonus, it seemed like a fair modifier.  It's not quite a National effort, but since boats were already Very Expensive it made it difficult to decide which side of the expense level to put it on.  It's "technically" just Very Expensive.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: May 01, 2017, 04:22:07 pm »

So, how does that combine with our normal vessels, which are also very expensive? Equal numbers? Complete replacement? Or do we simply get more ships than Moskurg.

Well, we should have more, in any case. We have our fleet concentrated while they are spread out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:26:03 pm by 10ebbor10 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: May 01, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »

Revision: Civil mages
We add a new wing to the magical academy for the purpose of training those not magical enough for military spellcraft and train them in civilian activities. They cannot throw a wall of fire up in front of an enemy charge, but they can meditate for a time then summon a flame to add heat to a smelter or forge. They can't keep a crystal pole intact for a whole day, but they can manage a crystal pole for an hour around-which to forge pipes. At present we are focused on adding them to steam-work production, but hope to expand the program as civil uses for magic become more defined and more of our wizards return from the front after failing to win their place in Valhalla.

Revision: persistent flames.
By working with our knowledge of gem-powered crystal-weapons, we apply the same theory to steam-power. This is really a revision of the old gem-powering technique to apply to more varied spell-work, to operate at a short distance, and to attain some measure of control over the spell rather than just maintaining it. This has the downside that the wizard is not personally observing the magic, so it can go wrong without being noticed, and can be difficult to disable, but it is simple enough to just shatter the gem with a hammer if the boiler is about to explode. The upside is that this allows a single wizard to maintain many steam-devices, and the firewall spell just needs to be periodically topped-up with power in order to persist. A wizard is till required to actually fire the cannons, but there is hope that this can further be revised to add a gem that can be activated by common soldiers.

0 (RAM)Civil mages:
0 (RAM)Persistent Flames
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:47:07 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: May 01, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »

Statamagically Argumented Cannon Production
Through the use of a new field statamagics(which has no real magic yet but, everyone thinks it is magic) we can greatly increase our production of elite cannons with only a modest loss in overall quality. Production is now done through use of a number of charts and guidelines in the weight, size and thickness of each part. This is then checked by the use of a number of new tools like calipers and scales to insure that the cannons are similar enough to each other. Rather then the ammo being fitted to once specific weapon the unified barrel size letting us use only one size of ammo. To further increase the number of cannons we can make a large part of production is done by peasants who are trained how to make and check one specific part of the cannon.

1-Simplified frost tower 10ebbor10
1-Statamagically Argumented Cannon Production: Lightforger
0-Civil mages:
0-Persistent Flames:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:48:04 pm by Light forger »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: May 01, 2017, 04:53:51 pm »

one possible way to make cannons cheaper is crystal casting, like RAM suggested in his civil mages proposal ( make crystal shape, cast metal around it, crystal dissipates and you have your barrel)
I would be careful deploying tower of frost in the mountains, may kill our men as well.

1-Simplified frost tower 10ebbor10
2-Statamagically Argumented Cannon Production: Lightforger, Andrea
0-Civil mages:
0-Persistent Flames:

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: May 01, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »

Revision: Assembly Line Cannons - Cheaper HCx-E's
The ideas of a particularly bright mathematician in the academy introduced something we now call an "assembly line". In short, this revolutionary technique greatly increases our efficiency in producing the HCx-E's. Each cannon may still take a long amount of time individually, but the sheer quantity we can make with this method should at least bring the price of the HCx-E's to Expensive.
Ideally this could also be used to make regular HCx's become regular expense, but that is extremely low prirority.

Light forger ninja'd me with basically the same thing but I like my description and spent a lot of time on it.
1 - Assembly Line Cannons (cheaper HCx-E's): Chiefwaffles
1 - Statemagically Argumented Cannon Production: Light forger, Andrea
1 - Simplified frost tower: 10ebbor10
Actual argument coming later today when I have time.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: May 01, 2017, 04:57:42 pm »

I should note that my design is more or less exactly an production line. Just with a fancy name.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: May 01, 2017, 04:58:19 pm »

and I will note that in the quote box you changed the number near light's proposal from 2 to 1.

edit: also, Taricus seems really smug about more dead arstotzkans, in sensei's arms race discord. next turn may be bloody.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: May 01, 2017, 05:01:40 pm »

I repeat my arguments for the frost tower. It can enormously damage Moskurgian forces over all fields of battle. Currently, we're applying serious penalties to them in the Jungle, which is the hot area. Expand it, and they will face serious penalties in every land area.

Even more important, they have no counter to frost. For our cannons, they have their ballistae and lucky strike. For cold, they have nothing while we have gambesons, fireballs and Arztotskan endurance.

edit: also, Taricus seems really smug about more dead arstotzkans, in sensei's arms race discord. next turn may be bloody.

Two options. They did something unexpected, or they improved their ballistae.

If the latter, we will loose the artillery fight, because of Lucky Strike.

As such, our best bet is to prevent the fight entirely, by killing Moskurgians with extreme cold before they can get in range. Remember, our tower has a 50 mile range.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:04:23 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: May 01, 2017, 05:04:07 pm »

Our elite cannons outrange them by a fair bit. You can't use lucky strike if your projectiles outright can't hit the target due to range. Also it's what our mountain commander wanted and I want to get the mountains fully back in our hands as soon as possible so we can have cheaper steam ships.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:05:44 pm by Light forger »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: May 01, 2017, 05:06:29 pm »

Make the Tower of Forever Frost more powerful. This will frak up the Moskurgs pretty good. They can't handle the cold nearly as well as we can, and their designs don't account for cold like ours do. Their war machines will fail and their weather control will diminish, but that pales before the fact that because they cannot handle cold as well as we can, they will all die.

1 - Assembly Line Cannons (cheaper HCx-E's): Chiefwaffles
1 - Statemagically Argumented Cannon Production: Light forger, Andrea
1 - Simplified frost tower: 10ebbor10
1 - Amplified Frost Tower: Andres

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: May 01, 2017, 05:09:02 pm »

More powerfull Frost tower is a bad idea as long as it's nat effort. We want recapture the mountains, hence more, not better towers are needed.

Our elite cannons outrange them by a fair bit. You can't use lucky strike if your projectiles outright can't hit the target due to range. Also it's what our mountain commander wanted and I want to get the mountains fully back in our hands as soon as possible so we can have cheaper steam ships.

Frost tower should kill the Moskurgians just as well if not better.

Besides, the Moskurgians expect us to upgrade our artillery. Upgrading frost towers will be entirely unexpected.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 301