Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590674 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1941 (Design Phase)
« Reply #4710 on: July 04, 2017, 01:21:59 am »

Considering we need a ground advantage this turn, I'd really like to push for the ATGM.  The only new component being designed is the (relatively) simple guidance system, and it opens the way to more advanced weaponry.  Guided weapons were rather heavily invested in after the war once their potential was realized, and if we're too timid to develop new things because we're afraid of failure then we can expect Cannala to be the only ones ever developing new things.  I would honestly be shocked if the Saltseeker was beyond Hard in difficulty, considering all the rocket and targeting experience we have now.
I have difficulty seeing how it could be used. Please engorge us with you engulfing prose that we might become stupefied at the beauteous operation of your distinguished device. My mind is just hiving difficulty figuring out how to accurately gauge distances well enough to hit anything with it...

Plagiarism I
We build more gooder shoots 'chutes. Wif gooder silks and gooder ropes and biggerness. And then we dun try makin' speshul ones wif steerins

Da Gatwin
We makes da AC41 Velociraptor autocannon wif da more pointibits and da spinnins and da biggerness!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1941 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #4711 on: July 04, 2017, 01:37:59 am »

Right, so let's either revise the Zheleznogorod so it has 2 catapults + doesn't ruin its planes; or we go for parachutes.

Z revision:
+Doubles down on naval air superiority, and will likely become better at Carriering than the Santos
+Probably helps a bit with landing on tundra
-Doesn't help jungle at all

Parachutes:
+Will give our paratroops Salamanders and actual heavy weaponry
+Helps in the jungle
+Will likely assist landing ops better than Z-revision (Especially with Cheap Reckless Effects!)
-Doesn't help navy at all.

While their's likely other viable ideas, these two are the obvious ones that'll make a good impact.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: July 04, 2017, 01:41:25 am »

TPD 'WHALE' 41: This is an naval torpedo, weighing in at a bit more than 3 tonnes. It is powered by a wet heater motor, and stabilized by a gyroscope. It includes a heavier warhead than the Dolphin, and significantly extended range. It is equiped with our standard magnetic fuze, with an impact pistol from the first generation Dolphin as back-up.

UF-RPG41 : An enlarged and modernized RPG, this infantry portable weapon uses a more powerfull rocket engine and it's deployable fins to ensure it can accurately target enemies even at long range. The enlarged HEAT warhead is designed to be able to penetrate the frontal armor of all Canallan tanks. The entire weapon is designed in such a way that it and it's ammunition can fit in a radio-sized box, allowing easy air drops.

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY"  Yet another attempt at reducing the size of the radar

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: July 04, 2017, 02:22:47 am »

Whatever we design, I think we should revise this:

UF-PAR-41 'Trustfall': Our parachutes are old and ineffective. Time for an upgrade. The Trustfall series consists of both cargo and personnel parachutes, made from modern materials, designed by Forenia's top aerodynamics experts for optimum performance. The cargo varieties are designed to carry heavy payloads of up to several tonnes, with the possibility of multiple parachutes being used to allow even vehicles like the Salamander to be airdropped. The personnel varieties have also had their weight limit increased, but perhaps more importantly, modifications to the canopy and lines give the user a limited ability to manoeuvre during their descent, enabling paratroopers to land far more precisely and safely.

This would let us use the Ice Giant and Reckless Effect more effectively. See the note in the battle report about paratroopers lacking anti-armour equipment- this would fix that. And it is a necessary step if we want to launch large-scale aerial invasions.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: July 04, 2017, 02:24:55 am »

I like the sound of the 'chutes, since we have stealing the Vicki and our Streak to help keep naval momentum going, and it would GREATLY aid our landing capabilities at a naval disadvantage to drop heavier equipment and salamanders.
Quote from: Votes
UF-PAR-41 "Trustfall" (1): Powder Miner

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: July 04, 2017, 02:27:57 am »

Solid fuel with less smoke.
We research solid fuels with emissions sufficiently low that they do not impede carrier operations when used as a catapult mechanism. Priority is on slack of smoke, safety of handling, and convenient replacement of catapult charges. To attain this we seek a solid fuel that can be produced as a liquid and poured prior to setting as a solid, which should massively increase the ease with which they can be produced. If we should happen to get a more powerful propellant out of this, say, maybe something similar to H.M.X.? Meh, rocket fuels are not my forte, and high power does seems to come with more smoke, but we shall see...

Steam-catapults are a dead-end. We can solve the problem by producing better rocket fuel instead, and gain the necessary technology to pioneer the field of stealth rockets!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: July 04, 2017, 02:37:20 am »

UF-PAR-41 "Trustfall" (2): Powder Miner, Jilladilla

It's a tough call between the two, but I agree with the assessment; cheaper Zheleznogorod + cheap Cataphract + UFN-BB-41 should carry us navally, at least for now.

Glory to United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: July 04, 2017, 02:41:34 am »

Plagiarism I
We build more gooder shoots 'chutes. Wif gooder silks and gooder ropes and biggerness. And then we dun try makin' speshul ones wif steerins

Da Gatwin
We makes da AC41 Velociraptor autocannon wif da more pointibits and da spinnins and da biggerness!

Orkz is made fer fightin an winnin.

UF-PAR-41 "Trustfall" (3): Powder Miner, Jilladilla, Piratejoe
Radar is also a thing we should do soonish
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: July 04, 2017, 02:46:43 am »

Radar is also a thing we should do soonish

Well hopefully our past luck doesn't hold or having an example of Cannala's smaller radar makes it irrelevant if our past luck strikes again...

Glory to United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: July 04, 2017, 02:51:28 am »

I am sorely tempted to save the espionage. It would be lovely to use t for a push now, but... Well they will likely either try to counter our cruiser with something naval, perhaps a victoria revision, or fix their ridiculous whirligig, which we might want to steal at some point in the distant future...
Read the First Post!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: July 04, 2017, 03:11:04 am »

I have no idea why people want to steal the helicopter. It's a design with disappointing peak performance in a field we already control. What do you hope to gain? Air-to-ground? We have that. Transport? We have that.

Plus them trying to fix the naval situation is a reason we should steal the Victoria, because what it does is it takes us a step closer to them without wasting our precious action economy. This is the one thing this turn that I am seriously willing to argue for, because it's such an invaluable opportunity to really hammer away at that naval gap, something that will be vital for our island hopping.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: July 04, 2017, 04:07:06 am »

UF-IFV-41 « Res » Infantry fighting vehicle

The « Res » is a derivative of the Salamander with the autocannon turrets removed in favour of 6 recoilless rifles mounted in two pairs of three. A steel sheet serves as a backplate to prevent redirect the exhaust downward and protect soldiers standing behind the Res. The goal of the Res is to provide overwhelming fire support at relative close range in places likes cities and jungles as well as providing more punch for beach landings. While the vehicle cannot be reloaded from the inside, doctrine is that six shots to the face of whatever just popped in front of it should make the area safe for reloading either by the crew or by accompanying infantry.

In addition to HEAT and incendiary round, the Res can also shoot the new UF-AP-41 “Nothing Personal” anti-personnel round, an oversized shotgun shell that is devastating against non-entrenched infantry and can in a pinch be used to clear brush providing cover to the enemy (and the enemy). 

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: July 04, 2017, 04:27:11 am »

Something a little different. Has some advantages over parachutes, and some disadvantages.

UFAF-MTA-41 Kiwi and Penguin
The Kiwi and the Penguin are gliders with a wooden frame covered by fabric. They are designed to land behind enemy lines on moon lit nights or during twilight to avoid fire. The wooden frame should be hard to detect on radar (and should make pinning down the landing location very difficult), but the payload might not. The Kiwi can carry an L-1 Tiger, an AS-MV21-AL, or about a dozen troops and is designed to be towed by the Reckless. The Kiwi also features a hook so that it can be picked up by Reckless with a looped rope attached (because that's something the Waco had, so why not?). The Penguin is much the same, except it can carry a salamander or similar and gets towed by the Ice Giant.

As part of this project, the necessary accessories and modifications to tow these planes and pick up the Kiwi are developed as well.

(based on the WACO glided uses on d-day. It was towed by a C-47, which can carry a bit less payload than the Reckless. They used pre-deployed radar beacons for guidance (which we don't have), but the one mission that missed their beacons still had a pretty good survival rate. Plus we will be landing in territory we used to own for now (I assume we have maps), and have our general)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:28:46 am by Olith McHuman »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: July 04, 2017, 04:35:06 am »

I think a glider would be a design.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: July 04, 2017, 06:37:19 am »

UF-PAR-41 "Trustfall" (3): Powder Miner, Jilladilla, Piratejoe
Z Improvements (1): SMMI
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 500