Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 469383 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Mission 1 complete: Recruiting for mission 2.
« Reply #390 on: June 29, 2017, 04:53:27 pm »

But remember: rescue kiddies, loot bodies, THEN blow sky-high. The order is very important.

Anyone know when we are starting?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 29, 2017, 05:00:54 pm »

Well crap, I forgot step 3.

However, I don't get satchel charges. I just get to scratch more marks onto the butt of my rifle.

Ah well. So, we're going in on a not-very-stealthy infiltration mission to fetch information while making it look like we actually didn't get information, because information that the enemy knows you possess is worthless.

Also, the phrase "drop incendiary bombs around the place" worries me. The phrase "Forest fire" comes to mind, as does a terrible image of us, the 888th Idiot's Brigade, collectively paradropped into trees, hanging there trying to cut our spinning selves free as the fire gets closer and closer.

Also, how are we supposed to sniper when the best camping spots on this map surrounding vantage points are on fire?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 29, 2017, 05:07:03 pm »

again, starting a forest fire is literally part of the plan.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 29, 2017, 05:07:48 pm »

This the the plan of distraction
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 29, 2017, 05:12:00 pm »

But you have snipers.

I'm questioning the distraction. Badly.

Can we at least make it look like a legitimate screwup by dropping bombs early (Right where the troop aircraft is going to crash, give or take) so that the fire is somewhat sort-of contained for the duration of our mission?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 29, 2017, 05:17:26 pm »

The plan is this. We've got a flight of 4 bombers and a junker troop carrier we've fitted to look as much like a bomber as possible, and rigged to explode.
You lot are going to be on the troop carrier, with Alice flying. We're going to make it look like a bombing raid, come in low over the hills, drop incindiary bombs around but not directly on the base. And the base is, no doubt, gonna fire back. Now, you're gonna bring the carrier round from the north east here, as part of the bombing squad.

At this point you will do two things: First, set the explosives to detonate as the plane files over the base, while Alice also aims the plane downward so that, even if the explosives fail, it will crash near by. Second, everyone will parachute out. The plan is to land yourselves here, where your descent and approach to the base will be hidden by the hills.

The plane will hit the opposite hill which, combined with the incindiary bombs, should set the entire south west area on fire. The bombers will also drop decoy chutes with fake bodies to draw even more attention in that direction. With any luck this will draw the majority of the base's forces and fire fighting crew towards that opposite hill and enable you all to get in quickly and quietly.
  Oz says: this point is why I cautioned restraint from our snipers: we want the base personnel running west, toward the flames and explosions, not looking east toward us.

Once in you have three major goals.

1. Obtain any and all info you can relating to this kidnapping operation. Steal papers, abduct officers, whatever it takes.
2. Rescue any kidnapped children. We do not know if there will be any present, but we cannot rule that possiblity out.
3. We will be supplying you with 10 satchel charges, all with time fuses. Place them strategically, in areas where they will do the most damage. Armories, munitions dumps, hangers, etc. Rig them to blow soon after you leave; don't give the soldiers time to discover them.

Once you've completed your goals, get out. There's a hanger with planes, there's a road out if you can find vehicles, and if all else fails you can scurry out back into the hills and we'll get you later. Oh, but if I were you, I'd try to actually keep a radio this time. Would make picking you up a lot easier.

Questions?

So the plan is thus:

One:fly four bombers (distractions) and a troop carrier rigged to explode into Poland
Two: drop teh infiltrators off to teh east
Three: drop lots of bombs to make it look like a bombing run. Crash the troop carrier t oset a forest fire and disguise the carrier as a failed bomber
Four:sneak in and gain our objectives:
A) information: papers, knowledgeable persons, etc
B)rescue the kidnapped kids
C)rig the place to explode
Five: escape by whatever means available and useable: plane, train, automobile, or even by being rescued by our superiors.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 29, 2017, 05:26:31 pm »

"Even being rescued by our superiors"

How nice of them to possibly consider that. Could we avoid being rescued by the Russians? That's be great if we could.

Alright. Guess I should not rely on memory sometimes. Thanks for making that crystal clear.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 29, 2017, 05:39:32 pm »

No problem. You are contributing to the discussion. I figure a good percentage of us didn't read, or forgot parts of, the mission briefing anyway. this helps us get it in our brains a little.

Not that that matters, for:

this is the 888th, for those of you who thought this was the bloody 101st Airborne or anything. So it's going to go horribly, loudly wrong.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 29, 2017, 06:37:44 pm »

You mean "Wonderfully, loudly right", right?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:51:58 pm by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 29, 2017, 06:59:41 pm »

Sure thing, buddy. Whatever you say.

LUNATICS! The lot of 'em!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 30, 2017, 12:41:24 am »

Spoiler: @Milo (click to show/hide)

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 30, 2017, 03:44:43 am »

"I want to be the first man on that plane Sir"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Volunteering for this mission if there is still a spot
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 30, 2017, 06:12:35 am »

I'm probably reading up (and yes there are silencers in this era; it's just that SNIPER rifles don't have silencers :P), but I'd suggest all those Trench Clearers swap over to shotguns...because we may not have any good use for flamethrowers in a field that houses a prison cell, that mostly has spaces for guns with better range and less collateral than that. :P

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 30, 2017, 06:51:49 am »

I just want to say that I don't think it is a good idea to ask for something in the hopes the GM won't know enough about WWII to say no. The De Lisle is a fine weapon, but it is not a sniper rifle by any stretch of the imagination.

The k98 maximum effective range with iron sights is 500 meters (double that with a good scope) the de Lisle only has 200 meters, no matter the sight (maximum range is listed as 400 meters, which is still inside the range you can effectively use iron sights). It would still benefit from a scope, but a scope does not a sniper rifle make.

BTW a Thompson submachine gun? Maximum effective range: 150 yards. It use the same ammo as the de Lise, so the main difference would be accuracy, AKA, the de Lise isn't that much more accurate than a (known for being inaccurate) submachine gun! The de Lise used the same basic barrel as the Thompson, but the suppressor cut down muzzle velocity, so the Thompson has greater maximum range, it's just too inaccurate to use it... The de Lise gains the most from the fact that it was hand made for special forces use, and was bolt action. Can I have a scope for any Thompson I pick up in the future?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 30, 2017, 07:19:39 am »

I just want to say that I don't think it is a good idea to ask for something in the hopes the GM won't know enough about WWII to say no. The De Lisle is a fine weapon, but it is not a sniper rifle by any stretch of the imagination.
I...never asked for it to be a sniper rifle? O_o I did indicate it was a rifle so it'd be great for rifle-focused people. Also I'm wondering if anyone would grab a grease gun or other submachine stuff, as given the current setup (please no flamethrowers) we've just got 2-3 snipers, and the rest being shotgun/machinegun folks with a few riflemen in between, and 2 medics.

...Only that all those who signed up thus far aren't that riflemen class equipment. (I'm basing on my count back there)

Also hey a newbie! :3
...I don't think we're going to need an artillery strike if we're deep in enemy territory like that ._. BUT that flare can be used for other purposes.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:22:35 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 228