Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150599 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1470 on: November 12, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »

That's a thought Draig, is Optics (such as scopes, spyglasses & decent glass) sufficiently advanced to need a design or are there civilian examples already?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: November 12, 2017, 05:39:04 pm »

Good optics can get pretty complex. I would imagine it would take a full design, and then revisions could shuffle them around to scopes and all that stuff.

If there were civilian examples I imagine it would have been in the starting equipment, cause it has pretty obvious military applications.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: November 12, 2017, 05:43:02 pm »

Good optics can get pretty complex. I would imagine it would take a full design, and then revisions could shuffle them around to scopes and all that stuff.

If there were civilian examples I imagine it would have been in the starting equipment, cause it has pretty obvious military applications.

Simple civilian stuff is available, but not currently used. A dirt basic spyglass would probably be able to be had on a revision. However, they're not going to be of great quality, and they're not nearly as useful as they are at sea- where you can trust your enemy to be spotted exactly on the horizon, and thus only need to scan a single narrow line.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: November 12, 2017, 05:53:07 pm »

Hmm...Are our aeronaut goggles tinted? Cause that's an important feature for aerial combat. Maybe even revision tier. Probably not since we rolled a three.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: November 12, 2017, 05:57:12 pm »

Well. I guess Aedar is the next step in spotting hostile ships early then. An Aedar crystal will be able to detect powered crystals when pointed in the right detection due to the affect they have on the surrounding aether. Or something. I think aether radio would be easier and a good stepping stone into that tech. We already have morse signal flashers though so who knows how soon we'll do that.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: November 12, 2017, 06:21:33 pm »

Well... If we can get simple optics with a revision, I say we do it. +1
We can do another revision next turn to make gun sights.

Station harnesses would probably be a better idea than guide wires, so a +1 to that too.

That leaves 3 dice we could start a project with, or we could bank for now.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: November 12, 2017, 08:19:04 pm »

Ironwood

This is a wood specially grown with great care to be as strong and resistant to fire as possible. They selected from the hardiest trees we have with the best properties, then they are slowly and carefully grown in pressurized chambers with very high temperatures deep within the spires. The result is a nearly black wood strong enough that hulls made of it count as armour in their own right. Structural damage will be lessened and fires will spread much less aggressively and be easier to control.

(We currently cannot use wood as fast as we make it, so better more expensive wood is a practically zero cost upgrade. It lessens the lethality of their incendiary cannon, and reduces the vulnerability of our ship’s unarmoured backsides. )
(One likely flaw is making trim webs and vanguard mounts cost more wood to refit, which would require a revision to fix. Or we just pay the extra wood)
(Decided to throw in a bit of Lamarkian evolution as fluff. Could switch it to more realistic breeding and careful controlled growing if that's too unrealistic.)

Bringing up Ironwood again because we still have a massive surplus of wood and our ships are still just as vulnerable. It could also make lite mobile covers stronger.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:22:45 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: November 13, 2017, 05:50:13 am »

You know what, sure. We do have a ridiculous amount of wood so if there is anywhere we can trade ore cost for wood cost (even if it's comparatively more wood we're spending) then that'll free up ore for when ironwood is not the solution.

Quote from: Votes
[1] Ironwood (3 dice) + Hold 2 Dice: Kashyyk

Projects:
Ironwood
Naval Boot Camp
ADvanced Marine School

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: November 13, 2017, 07:55:30 am »

[2] Ironwood (3 dice) + Hold 2 Dice: Kashyyk, Talion

Projects:
Ironwood
Naval Boot Camp
ADvanced Marine School
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:49:52 am by Talion »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: November 13, 2017, 09:49:41 am »

[2] Ironwood (3 dice) + Hold 2 Dice: Kashyyk, Talion, NAV

Projects:
Ironwood
Naval Boot Camp
ADvanced Marine School

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: November 13, 2017, 01:53:35 pm »

I'll be processing designs shortly. If ye have objections, let they be known here.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: November 13, 2017, 02:28:57 pm »

Ironwood
[Time: 1 Progress: 5 Cost: 5]

The journey to grow a stronger and fire resistant wood promises to be a long one. Attempts to inculcate strength and a resistance to flame by exposing the parent plants to adverse conditions has yielded a few promising specimens, but they are few in number and only obtained by the destruction of much seed stock that would have gone on to become good wood. Still, a little wood is a cheap enough price to pay for the increased protection that could be provided. If this project bears fruit.

Ironwood: 5/22 | 6 Wood | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13(+10)/y Crystal, 32/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 17/85 banked
19/y Wood, 90/95 banked
10/y Silk, 23/50 banked

It is now the revision phase. You have 2 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:56:00 pm by Draignean »
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: November 13, 2017, 02:40:01 pm »

Kinda hoped the time and first dice would be the other way around but hey, can't complain too much.

Quote from: Long Term Topaz
The Princess had proven herself very capable of working to the requirements of a defined production pattern. Clearly the forewarning of what crystals are required allow her to maintain production. Thus with some additional infrastructure and a sufficient warning she ought to be able to produce any item the military requests in time for the next year.

Quote from: Increased Topaz Funding
With an infusion of additional funds and personnel, the Princess should be able to produce more crystal for the good of the Spire.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: November 13, 2017, 02:51:04 pm »

Oh those Kasgyre dice.

Revision: Station Harnesses
Vests covered in clips, straps and attachment points. This will allow our aeronauts to secure themselves to their battlestations during high acceleration maneuvers, keeping their hands free to perform their tasks.

Not even a Revision: Separate Helmets and Breastplates
There are situations where we should give our men only helmets without the breastplates. For example when sniping from behind cover the head is likely to be the only target exposed. This is not a revision, simply a formal request to allow us to buy helmets separately from the more expensive breastplates.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:55:24 pm by NAV »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: November 13, 2017, 04:07:30 pm »

I guess I'll do some voting whilst we wait for the rest of Kasgyre to do their thing.

Quote from: Revisions - 2 Dice
[1] Long Term Topaz : Kashyyk
[] Increased Topaz Funding :
[1] Station Harnesses : Kashyyk
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 178