Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 160059 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1485 on: August 21, 2017, 04:34:32 am »

At the risk of us choosing B and nobody getting anything.
It's a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors basically. That logic will only get you tied up in a loop... After all, I could reply that if they think we'll go for B that they will go for A... Which brings us right back to where we started...

We don't know their situation and what result would be best for them, therefore hedging our bets on the safest course of action will be where my vote shall remain.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 21, 2017, 08:03:06 am »

Quote from: Votes
Star-Crossed Lovers:
A: (4) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Jilladilla, Madman
B:
C:

Strategy:
Commerce Protection: (2) Jilladilla, NUKE9.13
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 21, 2017, 11:52:43 am »

Well, I'm going to go have lunch and watch an eclipse. I'll kick the turn along when I come back.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 21, 2017, 12:15:58 pm »

Have fun.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 21, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »

A modest proposal for next turn, to spend one die and some ore to get a delivery method for the dragun

Incendiary skyskiff
This hull is identical to the traditional skyskiff in all ways, except the weapons mounts. Rather than 2 cramped broadside LAC mounts,  it only has one single mount for a dragun cannon. This single mount has a fairly large firing arc and, being just one, allows enough space for the crew to reload it.

Assuming it doesn't cost more than a skiff, for 1 die and 9 ore next turn we could build a full itshana version of it with the prototype Dragun.less if we don't go full itshana or if we grab the core from the vomit comet.
The dragun is fully effective only at 20% or less of the LAC range, so we need to mount it on something that can get to knife fight ranges. Designing a new hull would take time, considering we need our dice to compelte the windrider, the Dragun and to get new weapon mounts. Plus our resource situation doesn't quite allow significantly bigger ships. The incendiary skyskiff only requires a revision and is moderately cheap, while being extremely fast and agile thanks to the full itshana crystals. Even just one incendiary shot might cripple an enemy web ( remember that they keep a large part of their web concentrated inside the shroud), so it could be extremely effective while we have skiff superiority.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 21, 2017, 01:14:12 pm »

I'm hoping we can drop a revision on a brighter burn whilst we've got it.
Can't hurt.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 21, 2017, 02:17:44 pm »

Instead of a skiff revision do a revision to the standard cannon mount. Then we can fit them on both skiffs and windrider as we wish.

I like the idea of a incendiary skiff though. I just think we can be more efficient by focusing on a mount.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 21, 2017, 02:21:10 pm »

I think the idea has to do with the fact that the skiff is extremely cramped and this is a muzzle loading weapon, they may not physically be able to reload the gun without help from a dock or another boat.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 21, 2017, 02:24:20 pm »

It is wide enough to fit two broadside guns, so it must be wide enough to fit one spinal mount.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 22, 2017, 12:25:59 pm »

Three Captains

All Wrethan vessels are able to disengage and leave without incident.

Inside the Spire

The good news is that the Kasgyrites are retreating, the bad news is that they're making it hurt. Instead of pulling back cleanly as Wreth did, they're making periodic fallbacks where they can fire a surprise barrage of heavy crossbow bolts before falling back again. They no longer make runs against our barricades, and instead wait for us to begin moving our mobile cover before shooting the people who emerge. Our PLACE is similarly less useful, as we seldom get a chance to deploy it before they've vanished again. A few shots, made either in anticipation or  frustration, are able to fry a handful of Kasgyre's marines, but it's a pittance compared to the Wrethan soldiers cut down by Kasgyrite snipers.

We succeed in advancing, but we lose four men to ever one of theres we manage to pin down. The pincushion is too short-ranged and inaccurate to accurately produce counter-fire against their crossbow, and the gauntlets can suppress and blind, but they lack the accuracy to actually kill with any reliability. We sold this ground cheaply, but we're buying it back from them with buckets of blood.

Confirmed Kills: A quarter of a Kasgyrite squad
Losses: Squad 3C

Wreth has Gained ground at the Three Captains

Miner's Folly

The skiffs sent to Miner's folly report that all is well.

The Verdant Vista

The skiffs sent to the Verdant Vista likewise report no enemy presence. The raiding vessels must have already pulled back.

Spire Wreth

Two additional squads of marines have been trained and stand ready at Spire Wreth, and two new skiffs have been completed.

The Windrider has been fully repaired.

Star-Crossed Lovers

Your tactician leaves with your blessing. Though there is some discontent and grumbling among the brass of what the devilish Kasgyrites might do, but they hold their tongues for now.

A few weeks later you receive a letter from your tactician, informing you that she and the man she loves have managed to rendezvous safely. She has few ways to express the depth of her gratitude, but perhaps, when peace comes, she'll have found something of value to return to Wreth.

The tale does much to ease tension and war paranoia within Wreth. There are still rules to this war, lines of humanity that have not been crossed.

You will gain an extra die for the next three rounds.

It is the beginning of the year 360 AR.

Spire Wreth's production stands at
13/y Crystal, 50/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 35/85 banked
19/y Wood, 87/95 banked
10/y Silk, 50/50 banked

It is now the Design and Project Maintenance stage. You have six dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:41:27 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 22, 2017, 12:29:49 pm »

So much for us having developed a ground advantage.

Single tactic, and they're dominating us worse than we ever did to them.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 22, 2017, 12:38:35 pm »

So much for us having developed a ground advantage.

Single tactic, and they're dominating us worse than we ever did to them.

Forgot to add the bit about how you gained a section of territory, so it's not all bad.
---

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 23, 2017, 02:06:38 am »

U-WOT: (1) Tack
No Design:

2 Dice into Windrider (12w/6o) (1) Tack
1 dice into Windrider (6w/3o)
Save dice:
Another alternative I'm happy to vote for is putting two dice into the windrider, spending a few on revising/progressing the DraGun, and then having a surplus so we can skip to prototype next year.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:08:33 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:05 am »

U-WOT: (1) Tack
No Design: (1) NUKE9,13

2 Dice into Windrider (12w/6o) (2) Tack, NUKE9.13
1 dice into Windrider (6w/3o)
Save dice:
Putting 2 dice into the Windrider gives us a chance of finishing it, and if not, we have a decent chance of finishing it next turn. The other dice should be saved for revisions.
For example, I think we should put a die into fixing the Windrider's circuitry (again). We discovered new problems when testing Boom and Zoom, and the cannons are still suffering from overloads.
We can also put a die into improving the Dragun.
The third should be saved, I think.
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 23, 2017, 02:38:24 am »

We have 6 dice due to our noble decision.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 187