Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159725 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1215 on: August 09, 2017, 06:20:56 am »

He are they going to counter it? With a PLACE of their own? With a portable shroud?

In the first case we are a little better than even, unless they have enough imagination to use a trim crystal for transport.

In the second case, shrouds don't block heat.

They have already countered it.

Bolts and gauntlet fire cut into the Wreth defenders as their ambush suddenly turned against them. Men with cutlasses crawl out from the walls to hack at legs, while Kasgyrite marksmen fire and reload from their cubbies by virtue of crank. The PLACE itself is very nearly lost when a Kasgyrite officer with a cutlass hacks apart her gunner, but overwhelming gauntlet fire is able to at least win a retreat. Man men end up with burned arms, but it's only through the gauntlet's ability to rapidly and decisively respond to threats that the Kasgyrite counter-ambush doesn't result in a fatal rout.

Apparently, the PLACE is too slow to reorient to another firing position, so they can easily flank it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 09, 2017, 07:46:04 am »

Hmm. "Hustle back, Hustle up" tactic revision?
Back up the PLACE, wait for them to jump out of the holes, give them the business, set a new forward position, repeat?

Quote from: Votes
No Design: 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Tack

Frankly I'm kind of annoyed these guys climbing through the holes in the walls haven't had mass deaths from spiders.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:48:58 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 09, 2017, 08:05:32 am »

Frankly I'm kind of annoyed these guys climbing through the holes in the walls haven't had mass deaths from spiders.
I wondered about that myself. Have we managed to exterminate (most of) the spiders in the Three Captains with a handful of soldiers and a single PLACE?

Provided that we haven't, I suggest that we deliberately pull back this turn, before Kasgyr even attacks, making a section of the spire unclaimed. Let Kasgyr try their new ambush tactic against spiders. It has been established that officers are single-minded fools, who will use the tactic assigned to them no matter how suicidal.
Draignean, can this be possible? Pretty please?
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 09, 2017, 08:32:36 am »

This can be possible, but you're guaranteed to lose a section of territory unless you kill everyone.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 09, 2017, 08:44:49 am »

This can be possible, but you're guaranteed to lose a section of territory unless you kill everyone.
Yeah, that's the idea. Since we're probably going to lose ground regardless, what with those -presumably well armed- reinforcements coming.

So, would people be on board with this? Do you want to see Kasgyr crawling into holes full of spiders, or would you rather see our depleted forces fight to the last man, hopelessly outclassed?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 09, 2017, 08:56:13 am »

we want to keep our forces and the place alive as long as possible, if nothing else just to keep an eye on the situation. It will take a while before we can reinforce.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 09, 2017, 09:41:59 am »

Yeah, fighting retreat, let's do that.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 09, 2017, 10:52:32 am »

Quote from: Votes
No Design: 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Tack

Alright, I'll roll up your lack of design after Kasgyre finishes having an opinion.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 09, 2017, 11:33:00 am »

On a side note, we lost 2 transports because they didn't have their shields active thanks to the enemies ambush tactics.

Maybe we can replicated that, by implementing our own ambush tactic.

The Skiffs spot their targets before the the Kasgyrites spot them, but not by enough to fully capitalize on it with existing maneuvers.

It's clear the enemy has no effective scouting tactics, and their small ships are both being eliminated and inferior in quality. With an ambush, even a skiff can seriously damage their big craft.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 09, 2017, 11:56:06 am »

we want to keep our forces and the place alive as long as possible, if nothing else just to keep an eye on the situation. It will take a while before we can reinforce.
Right... so you're in favour of pulling back and letting spiders serve as our meat-shields?

Yeah, fighting retreat, let's do that.
No, let's not. What on earth in the sky do we gain by a fighting retreat? We aren't going to deal enough casualties to make up for our own losses. I mean, we were this close to a complete rout this turn- and they're getting reinforcements, and we've suffered losses. A "Fighting Retreat" in this case is another way of saying "Throwing Away Troops".
...and another thing. If they capture the PLACE, not only have we lost an expensive (and currently irreplaceable) piece of equipment, but they have also gained one. They might be able to reverse-engineer it to gain a bonus to designing their own.
No. A thousand times no.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 09, 2017, 12:29:51 pm »

The engineers, in their momentary respite, have fun designing papier-mache replicas of the Kasgyrite 'spider-queen'. They paint them with all sorts of horrible features, fill them with candy, and distribute them to local children to destroy with sticks.

Spire Wreth's production stands at
13/y Crystal, 50/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 38/85 banked
19/y Wood, 78/95 banked
10/y Silk, 33/50 banked

It is the now the revision phase. You have 5 dice left to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

---

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 09, 2017, 12:40:31 pm »

Spider queen piņata is the best thing I've seen all week thank you.

Quote from: Bait and Retreat (Marines)
With this tactic the Marines will use their standard method of bounding back and forth from cover, however once an enemy assault begins they will retreat heavy weapons and any long-range combatants, putting up a token resistance with skirmishers, and then further retreating in order to unleash a fusillade upon any flanking troops. They then repeat the action, with the intention of minimising losses at the expense of lost ground.

Quote from: Hit and Run (Sky)
With this tactic, light vehicles (having spotted an enemy), will attempt to approach from high in the air, obscured by clouds or backing onto the sun, before diving into an ambush and attempting to destroy enemy transports or other unprepared heavy craft. After the dive is completed, they will avoid further combat and retreat, meeting up with any friendly heavy vehicles which will help to shred light pursuing ships before withdrawing completely from the airspace.

Draignean, will these be compatible with the idiot ball?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:43 pm »

Ok, editing the tactic I proposed:

A Most Dangerous Game
Ships following this tactic undergo a risky, but potentially high reward maneuver: Moving so that they're under or over the enemy ship at sufficient distance to avoid the guns of their victim, followed by a rapid ascent or descent straight at the enemy ship, disengaging their shroud before it would collide with theirs, and pulling up next to the ship so that our guns would reside within their shroud, allowing us to fire at their ship with impunity.

Captains following this tactic will be told to only attempt it against enemy ships of sufficiently larger size, as a skiff attempting to get within the shroud of another skiff would be problematic at best.

Once again, suggest edits, better wording, criticism, or just say it's a crazy idea that will cost far too many skiffs to work.

Either way, shall we get to figuring out how to allocate our revisions this turn? For instance: Are we going to double down on the SUCKERPUNCH (Take Two)? Will we try to make our fuses better or just attempt to fix the surge issue on the Windrider? Are we going to revise new tactics or not?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:57:45 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 09, 2017, 12:58:04 pm »

I, for one, think that "A Most Dangerous Game" is an awesome idea. Unless something much better comes up I'm all for it.

I would suggest that it be deployed along with conventional tactics, so the target is distracted...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 09, 2017, 01:03:00 pm »

There's only 1 problem.

Engagement is swift, and the new tactics to outmaneuver the enemy work devastatingly well against the Kasgyrite skyskiffs. When their kettleguns whistle their last, superior Wreth vessels can win the day handily. After their initial rate of fire boost wears off, there appears to be no area were Wreth ships are not superior to the Kasgyrite skyskiffs.

This, sadly, does not seem to be true for the Kasgyrite corvette. Its ability to spin and maneuver completely belies its increased size. The corvette is capable of sudden changes and direction and momentum that would impressive for vessels outfitted with Itshana select trim crystals, and allow it to track even maneuvering skiff's with surprising and devastating accuracy.

Our skyskiffs can't outmaneuver their ships.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 187