Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 25671 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »

I'm leaning towards Burning Hands. Melee-range should be easier, it will still be effective, and it's not suicidal now that we have the armor spell.
Hmm.... Don't we have to spend a revision at this point to switch out the spells loaded on our apprentices? (Or create a variant with a different spell loadout) And they're at 3/3 spells... We could dump dice into the Academy to boost that to 4, but our estimate for how many that would take was 3, so no design if we wanna try to push for that in one turn... I wonder if the Academy will boost the max spell slots of any new future casters we design... Considering it has Megaproject status I will assume yes.

In a completely different tangent, we could probably make specialized Enchanters or whatever to cut training costs too. (And by that I mean mages who can only cast Enchantment Spells. A bit extreme, yes. But it should cut training costs, at the very least. And if we were specializing in only a type or two of magic anyway....)

Either way, tired and sleepy time beckons me. I'll probably make a write-up or two for something tomorrow if we don't have anything by then.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2017, 01:22:39 pm »

We have three spells. Until we've got the luxury of having seperate apprentice classes, let's not go overboard with the learning.
There is still an absolute ton of issues with our society.

Thenatonian 'peacemaking'
Some efforts need to be devoted to the Thenatonian legions at our backs, whilst our attention and soldiery is needed elsewhere.
A taskforce of spies and assassins should help with making a few 'transitions' in their country which could aid convincing them to join us us more... equally.
After a few changes in leadership and passive nudges of certain sympathies, we should see a return on our efforts within a few years.

I'm likely to still vote for 'freedom for service', because shields, and acid, but this exists.
A few for the shelf (which I'll absolutely be pulling out)

Crossbows
Replacing bowmen with crossbows, for far greater training efficiency.

Institutionalised learning
Killing the 'family learning' structure, and replacing it with schools and drilling fields.
- Now that we have both training camps and the magic academy, this should be far easier, or even a revision.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:25:25 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2017, 01:30:52 pm »

Apprentices will automatically learn any new Lesser spell to fill their empty spell slot.  If you end up with more spells available than spell slots, you can use a (probably free) Strategy action to swap them out.  Splitting your apprentices into multiple castes to have different spell repertoires each would probably be a Revision, though  (for instance, Alpha Apprentices casting Daze, Magic Weapons and Magic Missile, while Beta Apprentices cast Daze, Burning Hands and Shield).

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2017, 01:52:27 pm »

Im pretty sure we either revise to become a Professional Army this turn, or apply magic to farmland, growing more abundant crops. We need training -far- more than people though, and a Professional Army should grant us that.

We could also use more timber production. Revision in that direction might be wise.

In addition, they are most likely going to push through the Kydessan woods. Because thats more likely to screw us over.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2017, 02:15:03 pm »

If you can get a write-up which gives us a professional army on three dice, I'm all ears.
Many things are pieces to make up the whole, but it's been said that full Marian reforms will take multiple designs- and we're not even at pre-Marius Rome yet.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2017, 03:03:36 pm »

I'd really like to keep the city as long as we can. It's going to get ugly once they have more bugs and less fronts.

We could try for a spell that works best while defending forts. A moat of fire that takes time to set up, perhaps.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 20, 2017, 03:09:21 pm »

Again with the spells. Why not just upgrade the forts?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 20, 2017, 03:12:02 pm »

We don't have the dice unless we skip this turn's design. Things are probably going to be breaking due to a lack of wood, and we need to reassign boats or they're wasted.

Hey, we could skip the design. Upgrade the fort, colonize two more forests, reassign boats, and save a die for next turn.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 21, 2017, 12:03:39 am »

Bah, not my greatest write up, but here we go:

Standing Army
While our current Militia serve wonderfully for a cheap response or a short term war, the constant fighting that we've been engaged in for the past 4 years has proven its lack of viability for extended engagements. From now on, every City State will maintain a full time standing army.

While it is expected that the costs associated with a full-time army would limit its size compared to our current militia, the number of well trained troops will be greater than what we are fielding currently.

Like I said, not my greatest, I'd take no offense whatsoever if someone took inspiration from this and made a better worded clone of the idea.

Things are probably going to be breaking due to a lack of wood
Iituem has said on the Discord that our boats won't break down due to lack of wood, we're just not building anymore boats or ballistae until our current wood usage drops below our capacity (or capacity rises above current usage).

Glory to United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 21, 2017, 06:58:18 am »

Could I have a votebox please?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 21, 2017, 07:29:47 am »

Give it a few hours Iituem, it looks like no one is on at the moment.

Quote from: Votes
Standing Army: (1) Jilladilla
Freedom for Service: (1) Tack
No Design:

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 21, 2017, 07:34:39 am »

Design
Standing army: (1) Jilladilla
Freedom for Service]http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165137.msg7538590#msg7538590]Freedom for Service (1) Tack

Government:
This thing (1) Tack
I don't know what it'd be called. An... Oligarchic Republican Empire?
Elective Thalassocracy?

I propose a hierarchical elective system.
Towns/Districts elect a representative, those reps elect a City/Shire rep, those elect a State rep, those elect a Country rep and the country reps form the governing body, and elect an Emperor.
Means everyone gets a say, yet the power shifts very little at the top.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:40:11 am by Tack »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2017, 08:25:50 am »

Alright, my government thing:

Government (HALP! I'M NO GOOD AT NAMING!!)
The primary seat of our Government shall be composed of a Council of where every City-State will have 2 seats.

One of these seats will simply be decided by a City-States Aristoi coming together and electing one of their own to claim it. The only restrictions are that only Aristoi that are actually local to the town are allowed to be elected and decide who gets the honor of the Council seat. This seat will hold 2 votes in the Council.

The other seat is to be decided upon an election happening in the City-State where every Adult Citizen may vote for who will claim said seat. The definition of 'Adult Citizen' shall be left up for every City-State to decide for themselves, but they are forbidden to restrict it solely to the Aristoi, for they already have a seat solely to themselves. Of course, nothing stops a member of the Aristoi from voting in this election, or being elected by the popular vote. This seat will hold only a single vote in the Council.

Finally, the Council elects a single member among its own to be the Executive Head, a position that can only be held by a member of the Aristoi, and this member shall have 3 votes on the Council.

So, what do you guys think? I think it would be viable? We seem to be Greek based and they did have the first recorded Democracy after all (5th BC even!). So it's not too much of a stretch.
(Iituem, when do we need to get the Government in? Right now or just before you do the next battle report?)

Glory to United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 21, 2017, 08:44:54 am »

A thalassocracy is more how we project that power, rather than the government itself. Moreover, I think we ought to very much avoid slaves in the army as combatants; just need to look at the janissaries to see how that works.

Anyway, to expand on the proposal I had earlier for the government:
Hadeaen League Reforms:
With the war against the hive, the structure of the league is in need of dire reform into something far more resilient and stable. Mimicking the other realms of the known world for the most part with the establishment of a monarchy to serve as the ruler of the league. In practice regarding the king's power and succession we differ vastly. While the ruling dynast is expected to have children, the successor to the monarch is choice via the council, made up of the rulers of the city states. In order to prevent consolidation of one city state over the others, no member of the council, nor their families (Barring the monarch's) are eligible to be voted for the position on monarch. The eligibility for candidacy is simple; any noble not barred from being king by either being a council member, or being related to them, is able to be elected as king.

The powers of the king are vast, but unlike our contemporaries, are tempered by the council. Any laws or proposals need to be accepted by a 2/3rds majority, with each councillor having one vote and the king having two votes. While the royal vote superiority is apparent, the control of the council over who succeeds the king is considered to be an effective deterrent against abuse; the king cannot expect to have his heir inherit the throne if the council is unhappy. The council, for the most part, is effectively untouched in how it's members are selected; the member cities are effectively given autonomy on how they govern such internal affairs.

The military however is to be unified under royal command, and as a deterrent against individual city-state loyalties, will be mixed and melded: The army now serves the league and only the league. The member states are allowed to raise levies for their own use no larger than half of what they provide to the League.

Legally, the council is the highest court of law in the archipelago, and any disputes between member states are arbitrated and ruled upon by the council, with the disputing councillors being excused from voting on the verdict.

Design
Standing army: (2) Jilladilla, Taricus
Freedom for Service (1) Tack

Government:
This thing (1) Tack
Hadean League Reforms: (1) Taricus
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:55:14 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 21, 2017, 09:40:19 am »

Quote from: Votes
Design
Standing army: (2) Jilladilla, Taricus
Freedom for Service: (1) Tack

Government:
This thing: (1) Tack
Hadean League Reforms: (2) Taricus, Jilladilla

I would've liked to have thrown in a bit of Democracy in there, to more or less have the Perekoi and Strategoi satisfied, but keep the power more or less firmly in the hands of the Aristoi to keep them happy with it too, but your suggestion seems better fleshed out than mine. It also has a name, something which I failed miserably at.

Glory to United Forenia!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30