Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 3: GAME OVER(about time, too).  (Read 76493 times)

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 3(11/11): Day 1: Nobody Dead
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2018, 10:50:49 pm »

EBWOP: Forgot to put in a trope: Hilarity Ensues.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2018, 11:29:22 pm »

Tiruin
I am perplexed (because yaaay stuffs is happening). o_o

And/or Fallacy did stuff I don't understand. My day PM (I did NUTHIN yesterday...err night), told me I was roleblocked, as in the 'when day happens you get a PM probably'. :P
Are you saying you took no action last night, or that you tried to, but got role blocked so nothing happened? If the former, was there a particular reason you didn't do anything last night?
Y'know if I had something like the power to save people, I still would say I didn't do anything or otherwise fakeclaim what I did, aye? :P

What I'm saying is I chose to do nothing in N0 because there was no kill actions going on; that's all I'm saying about what I did. When I asked FoU about the roleblock bit however--he made an explicit game statement in all HIS games (so don't expect this in the vanilla, which is why I asked, because it's not in vanilla mechanics); that everyone will be told if they are roleblocked even if they did nuthin'. :P

Also I'm unsure on voting for Affably Evil ._. it looks like a powerup to evil dudes, although I don't even know how tropes work with game mechanics other than inferring (and that that trope goes all on MORAL CODES when...how does that work?). I'm also curious if people voting for specific tropes may have an agenda. :P

How does Affably Evil sound like a nerf to scum (when the trope's lower sections tell it's not?)

[...]I usually spent all my time analyzing the flavor for clues, while the other players scum hunted properly.
Welcome to Bay12, where everything has flavor even the mundane BMs! :P And everyone analyzes flavor just for funsies.
It seems like there's 3 players that submitted a second trope and received some sort of flaw in their role. Do you think their penalties relate to their submitted tropes in some way?
Doubt it. It's weird that FoU would flaw a ROLE than a trope--leading to my thinking that tropes do affect roles, even if all were done before the game started, and thus alignments rolled out. If anything, the flaw would be role-tailored I believe. Else it wouldn't really be a flaw. :P

Erh :V let's see. Here're my views.
(0) Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies: Probably adds lethality to everything.
(1) Affably Evil: Powers up scum (in the end? later?) but gives them a weaker thingy maybe (or makes them good-er? Likely disguising them?)
(1) Boring But Practical: ...JOAT'yness? :P I've no idea how tropes work but this sounds like something to bolster vanilla actions?
(1) Katanas Are Just Better: ...This is all about swords. I have no idea whatsoever.
(0) Gosh Dang It To Heck:
(0) Worthless Yellow Rocks:
(0) Cincinnatus:
(0) Star-Crossed Lovers:
(0) Clock King:
(0) Time Master:
(0) Red Herring:
(1) Hilarity Ensues: notquitethere
(0) Jumping The Shark:
FoU: Color suggestion! (Orange > Purple. Some of us use Darkling! The forum backdrop and formatting of the upper boards! Making everything darker D:).

...I somehow fail to load the tropes wiki after the above, with some links not loading or working? :v If anyone can explain what the non-linked ones are, that'd be great.
2. I agree with you that there are at least 2 scum. There were 2 scum in the two previous FBYOR games, so it makes sense for it to be the same here. The only difference is that we have 11 players in this game instead of 9, so perhaps there's also a third party or two in this game. Based on the way my role powers are worded, I feel that there is at least one other person with a killing power, in addition to the scum.
Instantaneously saying 'third party' over '3 scum'? o_O What's up with that?

BHK
Tiruin - If I gave you a new ability in exchange for your old one, would you want it back?
NQT - If I primed an ability who's feedback I had to relay through you on death, would you speak up?
Tawa - If I were third party, how would you keep me in line with the town?
Maximum Spin - If I could sync someone up to die when I do, who would you want me to bring with me?

What about MY questions to you. T_T
Also I'd not like an ability thanks :O (You're free to shove me one but I like my abilities!) [/shesaysinpublic] {Nah, if I get exchanged, y'all keep em}
Also nah, if you want to shove me stuff in exchange, sure. If you built your role to shove less-useful-stuff-to-others-like a swapper, then :V.
Are you asking me ideas and then basing the replies to who you're leaning to target in the night? Because those are picky questions to certain people. o_O

Newbie question: Is it bad if I only post when I'm directly adressed? I don't really know what to say since it's just day 1 and there isn't a whole lot of information to work with right now. Also maybe I'm just too passive.
Nah, that's a thing when you lack time or something. If you're a newbie and wonder what to do--communicate and engage in chat with other people! :3 You can ask them questions or quote something they said and ask it. To carry over some advice for newbies; if you are scum, think that you're playing as Town in the day, which follows in the next sentence. If you're Town, follow your wincondition--proactively think forward to 'how will I find scum best', leading to the thinking of 'how do I scope out the best assumption towards people', which leads to the theme of 'how do I feel these people out as best as I can, to ensure that my use of abilities/votes are to my wincondition'.
Meaning talk to others! :D Don't worry there buddy. Lotsa people are uncertain in their firsts (like me. I started my whole Mafia life on Bay12, I can link my first games .-.; I was a ball of anxiety and cold sweat...)

But why are you ignoring his question Maximum Spin? (FoS is blue, right?)
FoS is blue, yep! It also helps to outline your own reasoning for your curiosity to others if you can. Forum games mean "EVERYTHING IS RECORDED" meaning everything written can be perused anytime for thought.

PFP

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2018, 05:04:34 am »

GigaGiant
According to the user statistics, you both have thousands of posts on the Mafia subforum, so I thought there was a pretty decent chance that both of you were familiar with each other's play style.
(This was a reasonable guess. Almost every game I've played on this forum has been with Tiruin.)

That said, I'm only familiar with her play style from reading the last two FBYOR games, so I'm not particularly confident in these evaluations.
I don't think you're too far off the mark.

Are you pretty confident that all of the trope effects will apply to every player? Do you think it's possible that some of them only affect specific teams (like town-only or scum-only)?
I suppose it's possible that there'll be team specific tropes, sure. Also, I think someone will have the power to invert tropes.

After reading previous Fallacy games, what insights do you as to how this one might go down?

BHK
NQT - If I primed an ability who's feedback I had to relay through you on death, would you speak up?
If you had flipped town when you died, then definitely. If you were scum, I'd be concerned that you were trying to relay a hidden message to a team mate.

Often in B12 mafia, the day limps to an end with no consensus and town get lynched. What are you going to do in this game to prevent that from happening?

Maximum Spin Which player here would you like to be your scum-buddy?
kingawsume If you had to daykill someone right now, who would it be?
juicebox Would you find it suspicious if someone didn't vote for a trope?
Imic What's your best guess for why the Rocks Fall Everybody Dies trope is coloured red?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2018, 05:23:36 am »

Maximum Spin Which player here would you like to be your scum-buddy?
There are a few answers I could give to that, with the variable being the form of strategy I'd adopt with that player on my team. For example, Imic would be among my choices, because I play using long-term strategies, and I'm confident in his ability to strategise and to maintain a strategy without going off-script like some others might.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2018, 06:45:34 am »

Notquitethere
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it probably doesn't mean anything good for anyone.
I wouldn't trust anyone who voted for Affably Evil, though. It cannot mean anything good.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2018, 07:57:42 am »

I think that it would make sense for Affably Evil to weaken the mafia kill but also make them show up as villagers to investigators like someone else mentioned.

I have a feeling that Rock Falls Everyone Dies is actually an unblockable kill attemp on everyone playing. Let's not vote for that please.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2018, 10:57:30 am »

First off, nice to see the game finally start. Now for some RVS

kingawsume and Maximum Spin: What, if anything, have you learned from your last game of mafia here? Are you going to make any changes for this game?

Imic and Tawa: I don't believe I've played mafia with either of you before. How would you describe your playstyles?

Tiruin:

NQT
Rocks Fall Everyone Dies sounds like a recipe for total party kill, so I think it would be best if we picked a trope rather than letting it go random. As such, let's Jump the Shark already.

Silthuri, why would I be suspicious of you?

GigaGiant, did you submit any of the tropes?

Tawa, which of the tropes do you most like the sound of?
WHERE AM I IN THERE? WHY ARE YOU NOT SUSPICIOUS OF ME? D:<
Why are your first questions otherwise all about tropes?

If it's any consolation, I'm suspicious of you.

How do you think the tropes are going to impact gameplay? How do you plan to play around them?

Silthuri: Do you prefer playing as town or scum?

@Tiruin: I'm just going to RVS and scumhunt as usual day 1. Also, I'd be fine with revealing which tropes I submitted.

@Gigagiant: If I were town, I would use it to save someone who I had a town read on. However if I were scum, I would save it until LYLO then use it to secure a win.

@NQT: Not really. Besides the fact that they might have forgotten, that seems to me like a null tell

While Katanas do appeal to me quite a bit, I must admit I'd also like to see what happens when Hilarity Ensues

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:49 am »

Seems like no one wants to ask me stuff.  I don't know what to ask to anyone either.  :-\
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2018, 11:51:36 am »

Please note that I am sick and typing this with my 3DS. Votecounts and day action resolution will unfortunately have to wait until I am better and can access my notes.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2018, 12:05:06 pm »

Imic, so am I right in thinking GigaGiant looks scummy to you for voting for Affably Evil? If the day were to end in an hour, would that be a sufficient reason to vote for him?

randomgenericusername, what's the biggest scum tell in your book?

juicebox, you say "now for some RVS", which, as we all know, stands for "random vote stage", and yet you didn't randomly vote anybody. Are you afraid to place some pressure?

Maximum Spin, what does a "long-term strategy" look like for a scum player, beyond just staying alive and killing the town?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2018, 12:48:43 pm »

Lying and inconsistency, I guess. Examples of these are:
Fake claims
Lying about night actions
Reading people as mafia but not voting them when they are going to be lynched or reading people as town and then pushing to lynch them later.
People who change their reads constantly, seeing someone as town, then scum, then town again.

When town needs information to win the game, lying goes directly against this wincon.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2018, 12:54:38 pm »

notquitethereI have several reasons to be suspicioud of him, but I don't want to say any of them. I want to see what he thinks and what he says, but I don't think I'll get up to anything until tommorrow
Juicebox I haven't played mafia on the forum much, although I've done it a lot in real life, my playstile is usually to watch in the corner for signs of lying when questioned, and try to piece things together from that. I'm going to see now if that works on a forum.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2018, 12:57:35 pm »

Maximum Spin, what does a "long-term strategy" look like for a scum player, beyond just staying alive and killing the town?
Why, do you need some help? :P

It's situational, but I'm sure we've all seen the kind of conspiracies and misdirections I'm talking about. For example, in a BYOR like this, I might fabricate a coordinating set of fake abilities to subvert investigations and explain away "mislynching".

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2018, 04:00:40 pm »

Quote from: juicebox
kingawsume and Maximum Spin: What, if anything, have you learned from your last game of mafia here? Are you going to make any changes for this game?
I learned ya'll some crazy mofos, and if you don't conform to the Bay12 meta, it's instantly suspicious. :P
Some changes include RVS-ing GigaGiant Day1, as opposed to no-lynching. (Just to throw under the bus :P )
The second is wondering what you're up to. ',:/
Quote from: NQT
kingawsume If you had to daykill someone right now, who would it be?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I couldn't bring myself to. There's nobody outwardly suspicious (yet) that catches my attention.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2018, 06:08:59 pm »

Imic, so am I right in thinking GigaGiant looks scummy to you for voting for Affably Evil? If the day were to end in an hour, would that be a sufficient reason to vote for him?

juicebox, you say "now for some RVS", which, as we all know, stands for "random vote stage", and yet you didn't randomly vote anybody. Are you afraid to place some pressure?

No NQT, I'm not afraid to place pressure. What is your opinion on D1 town gambits? On gambits in general? Do you think this is the type of game where town gambits will be useful?

@kingawsume: It's not instantly suspicious. It really depends on your response to the meta. Where you are right is that we are some crazy mofos
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48