Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 59

Author Topic: MafiaKart Racing: A BYOR Adventure - Game Over: Three Thirds On Negative Three.  (Read 86499 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: MafiaKart Racing: A BYOR Adventure - Day 0: How Low Can We Go?
« Reply #630 on: May 14, 2018, 09:19:42 am »

1 - RGU is not confirmed to be town. He could just as easily be mafia, and I'm suspicious of it. I personally feel frustrated that others don't share my suspicion, so I acted on it the only way I could.

He could just as easily be town by that argument, too, and I'm suspicious of you for failing to refine your read on him by actually interacting with him during the day. So no, that was not the only way you could act on that suspicion.

2 - I could only assume that they'd be glimpsed by an investigative sort of action through the night as such a particularly standout suspect, which leaves me for *my* main suspect. If I thought I could get a feasible case and following on quinnr, I would. I'm a survivor, however, so my input will matter less to the town because of the "Thirds stick out for nobody" meme (which, honestly, makes sense, but makes things difficult for me still.)

During the day yesterday, RGU said what action he was going to take on N1. He also investigates as scum, so what would the point be in someone investigating him? "yeah it's true he investigates as scum"?

Points in orange:

3 -
FallacyOfUrist - I'm not going to argue with someone who can protect me. so you're refusing to read someone based on their utility to you, while they have negative utility to the town in large part because of you?
hector13 - You're town. That or you're scum that's taken head of the town very well. I'm "leading the town" because I'm one of the only people posting regularly. Basically what you're saying is you're hedging, because you don't want to stand out.
IcyTea31 - Null, slight town. Not notable, but not in a suspicious way. This is basically the same as your read on me, just less strong because he doesn't post as much.
mightymushroom - Null. Slight town through process of elimination, unless there are 3 scum.What process of elimination?
quinnr - Scum leaning. Them and RGU are my votes for the scumteam. Why?
randomgenericusername - I really do think that RGU is not town, but I have no evidence or means to obtain it. As above, perhaps you could make an attempt to do that now? Other than me and FoU - someone you understandably don't want to prod - RGU is top poster.
Tiruin - Null. This is Tiruin, so that goes without saying.Fair enough.

As for RGU being a known element, an absolute, known element in a setup like this is an anomaly. They are an exception, not a rule, and they should be scrutinized because of it.

So scrutinise away. You've said you're trying to be useful to town but you have done bupkis to show that we should keep you around, TP or not.

You have not scumhunted anyone, you have not used the information you have available to get a read on anyone, you're scumreading quinnr because he has posted the least, you're "town-reading" me because I've posted the most, and to post a maxim I haven't used for a long while, "activity is not alignment indicative" and you're scumreading RGU because "omg he's scary" which is also not alignment indicative.

Frankly, the only reason I'm not voting you over FoU is because he's said he's not going to do anything for town without weakening them first, and he's going to get a free kill at some point in the future.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 14, 2018, 09:51:45 am »

Seeing as FoU is either scum or third that already won, we don't lose anything if we try to lynch him, right? We probably still have the day 1 loop to use next day, meaning that we have an extra day phase to lynch.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 14, 2018, 09:52:53 am »

How I read the situation:

FoU: My natural inclination is that blocking RGU is not so strange: 1) he's openly roleplayed the mercenary, why not indulge his best customer, and 2) there's a chance that RGU might offer him a power the next day but there's also a decent chance the roleblock itself gives FoU a power. It's not that much against his claimed wincon to try. My imagination can conjure a scenario where FoU is telling the truth about everything but his wincon, but I'm not that desperate for leads quite yet. (Remember I verified for myself that he can take an action away, at least.)

BHK: Similarly, I would have been quite surprised if BHK wanted anything else but to try the roleblock just in case using it on his behalf unlocks his treasure chest. The choice and reasoning for the target, though, is mystifying on a night BHK knew he himself should be protected. He'll have to give me a more thorough accounting of the thought process (why conclude RGU posed a credible danger to town N1) to keep me from wondering if he was worried for a scum partner. (Reading.)

All three reports from our trio of tri-initialed players (FoU, BHK, RGU) appear consistent with each other's results. So regardless of what I may suspect of their associations, I don't think they did any killing last night. IcyTea also finally provided me enough insight to relieve the pressure I had on him yesterday, and it seems unlikely lucky for him to concoct a story about being stymied by my powers when I myself didn't even know they did that.

That leaves:
hector31 ... ?
mightymushroom ... acted on quinnr, blocked
MoonyTheHuman ... only had one known* action, a block with narrow scope ? ; died
quinnr ... ?
Tiruin ... ?
* by his own account the redacted ability(-ies) was not an action

hector31: Acts very townish; least able to draw a connection for a scum team. This does not preclude being a lone actor, but as with FoU I'm not that desperate for leads quite yet.

mightymushroom: I don't suspect myself.

I don't see quinnr and Tiruin being on a scumteam together (quinnr voted Tiruin and nearly got her lynched D1), and of the two I pick quinnr first.
My choice of target last night was to some extent remains a hunch, but not I think a poor one.
  • Where FoU says he suspects a mimic, my pet theory is some variety of redirection. A vehicle themed to pick up a passenger could indicate a bus driver.
  • Needs to show up and talk about last night.
  • The prize giveaway ability is not diagnostic.
  • Still (scum or otherwise) curious regarding the mechanics of picking up passengers in the race.

Pre-post edits: Took blue color off BHK's name. Will read more.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 14, 2018, 10:44:36 am »

Let me see.

FoU and BHK are thirds
IvyTea is an investigator, not sure if town or scum
Tiruin is Tiruin
hector13 can't be scum because unlynchable scum is dumb and broken

The only one left IS quinnr and he has been kinda suspicious, but not that much though.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 14, 2018, 11:12:50 am »

For the record, I investigate actions and car abilities, not alignments.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34:46 am »

FoU, he's the vehicle for BHK being useless to town, lets get him out the way first. If he has BHK's roleblock, he's going to be able to get a free unblockable kill at some point:
Fun fact: I can't actually gain BHK's uber-kill. That ability is still part of BHK's role. It requires gaining all three K-Abilities by using the roleblock. BHK can't get the K-Abilities because I have his roleblock. So BHK can't use the kill. But he can't give it to me because I can't receive Unusable abilities. What fun.

FoU: My natural inclination is that blocking RGU is not so strange: 1) he's openly roleplayed the mercenary, why not indulge his best customer, and 2) there's a chance that RGU might offer him a power the next day but there's also a decent chance the roleblock itself gives FoU a power.
The roleblock itself did give me a power. And my best customer did ask me to roleblock randomgenericusername, yes.
~~~
Which he won't use for town unless we pay him, probably an exorbitant fee given the kill's utility and the fact it's single shot.
Honestly, my roleblocking abilities are much more useful to town than an unblockable kill. I can stop two players from acting per night(with one of those two being protected from night actions). Assuming a two-player scum team, if you pay me and make the right target choices, you could lock down the scum team.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 14, 2018, 12:23:03 pm »

So you can use both a roleblock and a jail at the same time? That could be very useful to us. You could roleblock and jail the pair you think that are scum. If no kill happens, then that means we found scum.

Yet, you could also use it against town. Since you already won, you have no reason to help either side. Why should we trust you?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 14, 2018, 04:41:13 pm »

1 - RGU is not confirmed to be town. He could just as easily be mafia, and I'm suspicious of it. I personally feel frustrated that others don't share my suspicion, so I acted on it the only way I could.

He could just as easily be town by that argument, too, and I'm suspicious of you for failing to refine your read on him by actually interacting with him during the day. So no, that was not the only way you could act on that suspicion.

2 - I could only assume that they'd be glimpsed by an investigative sort of action through the night as such a particularly standout suspect, which leaves me for *my* main suspect. If I thought I could get a feasible case and following on quinnr, I would. I'm a survivor, however, so my input will matter less to the town because of the "Thirds stick out for nobody" meme (which, honestly, makes sense, but makes things difficult for me still.)

During the day yesterday, RGU said what action he was going to take on N1. He also investigates as scum, so what would the point be in someone investigating him? "yeah it's true he investigates as scum"?

Points in orange:

3 -
FallacyOfUrist - I'm not going to argue with someone who can protect me. so you're refusing to read someone based on their utility to you, while they have negative utility to the town in large part because of you?
hector13 - You're town. That or you're scum that's taken head of the town very well. I'm "leading the town" because I'm one of the only people posting regularly. Basically what you're saying is you're hedging, because you don't want to stand out.
IcyTea31 - Null, slight town. Not notable, but not in a suspicious way. This is basically the same as your read on me, just less strong because he doesn't post as much.
mightymushroom - Null. Slight town through process of elimination, unless there are 3 scum.What process of elimination?
quinnr - Scum leaning. Them and RGU are my votes for the scumteam. Why?
randomgenericusername - I really do think that RGU is not town, but I have no evidence or means to obtain it. As above, perhaps you could make an attempt to do that now? Other than me and FoU - someone you understandably don't want to prod - RGU is top poster.
Tiruin - Null. This is Tiruin, so that goes without saying.Fair enough.

As for RGU being a known element, an absolute, known element in a setup like this is an anomaly. They are an exception, not a rule, and they should be scrutinized because of it.

So scrutinise away. You've said you're trying to be useful to town but you have done bupkis to show that we should keep you around, TP or not.

You have not scumhunted anyone, you have not used the information you have available to get a read on anyone, you're scumreading quinnr because he has posted the least, you're "town-reading" me because I've posted the most, and to post a maxim I haven't used for a long while, "activity is not alignment indicative" and you're scumreading RGU because "omg he's scary" which is also not alignment indicative.

Frankly, the only reason I'm not voting you over FoU is because he's said he's not going to do anything for town without weakening them first, and he's going to get a free kill at some point in the future.
1 - Refine my read? They aren't obligated to answer to me, and I'm not getting solid evidence through *their* word, because they're smart enough to not incriminate themselves.
2 - If it isn't both of quinnr and RGU, than my next guess is mightymushroom. I'm not an investigator, and I don't see anything of note in the posts of my suspects that I can use to press a case, so I can do nothing. And of course I don't want to stand out. I made myself a vanilla and I'm wholly dependent on someone else for protection, and I have to balance helping you out to an acceptable degree while not getting killed by scum. Also, *because* I'm purely vanilla, I don't *have* anything but activities and the actions of others to go off of.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:05 pm »

Yet, you could also use it against town. Since you already won, you have no reason to help either side. Why should we trust you?
The town can pay me more than the mafia.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 14, 2018, 05:20:42 pm »

The town can pay me more than the mafia.
The mafia has more inclination to unburden themselves of all but their mafiakill in order to utilize your dual-block so they can rule the night.

You’re too dangerous to be left alive.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 14, 2018, 05:45:44 pm »

The mafia has more inclination to unburden themselves of all but their mafiakill in order to utilize your dual-block so they can rule the night.
There are more town than mafia. Ergo town can pay me more than the mafia. If you don't want the mafia to buy my services, bid more than them.

Besides, my auctions are public. The scum can't bid in secret.

You’re too dangerous to be left alive.
I mean, I can't stop anyone from voting or protect them from the lynch, you could just hunt scum during the day instead of attacking a third party. You're good at that.

Weren't you suspicious of IcyTea and Tiruin? Why not vote your actual scum suspects instead of the local third parties?

Tell you what, I'll even help you out. For free. IcyTea. If you would prefer my vote elsewhere, okay sure, just as long as it's not me or BHK.

Seeing as FoU is either scum or third that already won, we don't lose anything if we try to lynch him, right? We probably still have the day 1 loop to use next day, meaning that we have an extra day phase to lynch.
You lose the capacity to lock down the mafia. Meanwhile the mafia goes off and shoots people while you're busy lynching a third party.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:01 pm »

I'm willing to let you try to roleblock and jail the scum to prevent the kill, as this will give us more time. I'm going to try make an ability based on hector13's role like you wanted before. In exchange, you will give us your fullclaim and continue roleblocking the scum suspects while I make more roles for you to trade. As my night ability can make an endless ammount of abilities, this will ensure that you always have a payment unless im roleblocked again. Is this good for everyone?

...But why do you need a payment in abilities if you don't need them anymore?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 14, 2018, 07:47:14 pm »

'cause he's lying.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 14, 2018, 08:28:47 pm »

Maaaan, its finals in masterals and then everything explodes--especially the 'people considering you suspect for some reason without details that they add your name to the people they suspect but then why do they suspect you :V'

Just reading up here before I hit a post.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 14, 2018, 09:22:05 pm »

'cause he's lying.

Consider: we have webadict who has modded probably more games than I’ve played in, putting in a TP role that needs to gain abilities in order to win, able to accept roles from other players.

Consequently, we have one Uber-role that can do pretty much everything, with everyone else being a little bit hamstrung because they’ve had to give up their actions for said Uber to do things.

This Uber claims to have won, yet is still in the game. This Uber, who has no horse in the race between town and scum, continues demanding payment for performing he actions it has been sold by other players.

Can we see how this doesn’t make sense as a thing? FoU is lying. He’s scum trying to weaken town.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 59