Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37

Author Topic: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace  (Read 46469 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace
« Reply #420 on: April 30, 2019, 07:22:00 pm »

Final Black Market idea.

Inspired by..

https://youtu.be/qaJw6lqGFew

Anyway.

Radiant Voice: Nirvana Harmony Devices:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 30, 2019, 08:40:12 pm »

A votebox to kick off the getting into the nitty-gritty of things this phase
Quote from: Votebox
Wave Motion Gun (Ebbor's Original): (1) Powder Miner
Wave Motion Gun (Andrea's Remake): (0)
High-Energy Heavy Gauss Cannon "Inferno": (0)
Plasma Inductor Cannon "Solus": (0)

Journey-class Battledestroyer: (0)
"Anvil" Heavy-Armament Destroyer: (1) Powder Miner

Bore Drive 2nd Gen "Eclipse": (0)
Bore Drive 2nd Gen "Skip": (0)
Cascade Bore: (0)
Cluster Bore Drive: (0)

Honeycomb Heavy Strike Craft: (0)

Leave 6 dice: (0)
Leave 3 dice: (0)
Leave 0 dice: (1) Powder Miner

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 30, 2019, 08:41:50 pm »

For the purpose of getting it into the thread, here's a write up by Ebbor from the Discord.

Atomofoam
The unusual combination of a nuclear reactor, firefighting foam, and some unusual organic material, the Atomofoam cannon is one very odd duck. The cannon fires a shell the size of an oversized missile, which is coated completely in an Epee style penetrating armor. Within the shell exists a mixture of highly enriched nuclear material, dissolved within a special mixture of organic compounds. A fission toxin ensures that the enriched nuclear material does not become critical, but this toxin needs to be constantly resupplied. As soon as the missile is underway, the reaction becomes inevitable.

Once the missile has broken through the armor, the organic compounds start to mix and form a dense foam, which rapidly expands through hulls and corridors of the ship. The nuclear reaction, which is now well underway, adds a critical amount of heat that greatly increases the rate at which the foam expands. Under the pressure generated, hull plates deform and bulkheads are broken. Eventually, the foam finds itself unable to further expand, either because it is confined by blast doors, or the reagents have been exhausted. Unable to continue it's endothermic expansion, the foam starts to heat up under the effects of the decay heat of the nuclear reaction.  A critical temperature is soon reached, and a secondary exothermic reaction detonates the foam, burning it away.

The result is devastation. Affected areas of the ship have been alternatingly crushed, burned and are now coated in nuclear material. The armor has either failed under the pressure or directed all the force inwards, with neither option being particularly good.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2019, 11:03:32 pm »

High-Energy Heavy Gauss Cannon "Inferno": (0)

Journey-class Battledestroyer: (1) Jilladilla

Bore Drive 2nd Gen "Skip": (0)

Honeycomb Heavy Strike Craft: (1) Jilladilla

Leave 0 dice: (1) Powder Miner

Alright. So I'd technically would prefer to do 'Large Weapon' + 'Honeycomb or some other Hornet Successor' this turn than what I actually voted for (leaving the destroyer for next turn); but I'm fairly ambivalent on *which* weapon; whereas I wish for the Hornet to gain its successor in the near future and prefer the Journey over the Anvil. Yes, the extra mounts on the Journey does potentially lower its spare capacity, due to the greater amount of weapons it can mount, but we do have the option to just leave them empty if we wish for more defensive/utility/mobility components.
It's a matter of specialization for a specific role vs generalization in my opinion.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 01, 2019, 02:43:29 am »

I want to at least start the large weapon before we start the destroyer to carry it. That way we know how good the weapon is and can choose whether to integrate it.

Also, a truly second gen bore drive will be heaps more efficient than the retro engineered generi-drive that everyone else is using. Let's make the most of our expertise here too.

High-Energy Heavy Gauss Cannon "Inferno": (1) Kashyyk

Bore Drive 2nd Gen "Skip": (1) Kashyyk

Leave 0 dice: (2) Powder Miner, kashyyk

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 01, 2019, 03:34:42 am »

I still don’t want to integrate the gun even it it’s great - neither the Journey nor Anvil are the Epee, and the modest benefits of integrating the gun are not worth limiting their role that completely, especially in the case of the Anvil which should have enough capacity to go around.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 01, 2019, 07:35:22 am »

I still don’t want to integrate the gun even it it’s great - neither the Journey nor Anvil are the Epee, and the modest benefits of integrating the gun are not worth limiting their role that completely, especially in the case of the Anvil which should have enough capacity to go around.

Yup. That is the main downfall of integrating stuff; we don't wanna lock it to a role. For all we know we'll want to slap a Large Death Ray on one to swat some Liir Corvettes. That being said... I don't think either will have all that much spare room; sure the Anvil will probably squeeze out a bit more spare capacity due to not being able to mount as many weapons... But we do have the option to just leave a mount empty if we decide that for that ship the capacity that would normally be used for the weapon would be better served put towards a different purpose. We did this for our Command Expeditions after all.

As such, I rate the Journey as the superior generalist; as it would have the option to spend that capacity towards weaponry if we wanted to spend it on weaponry.

As for the Bore Drives.... While I could support the Skip Drive, I can't support you trying to get a drive in every size. While I can assume that Battleship+ drives are to be excluded from this.... Do we really want Corvette drives? The Epee's can't use them. The Foray will likely fulfill our small ship needs for the near future (it's a good ship), and while a Frigate Drive would be helpful, we would still need Destroyer Drives on them if we wanna drag Epee's around. (Expeditions can't do it, our Destroyer Proposals won't really have the spare capacity to mount a Cruiser Bore) I just see it as unnecessary project length. Also, I don't think that right this moment is the right time for it. Filling in a vital gap in our fleet (Proper Front Line Ship/Big Gun/Stem the source of synthetics bleed that is the Hornet) is the more important issue at present; in my opinion. (Yes, I know your 'Eclipse' Drive is meant to be cheap... The bore drives aren't all that expensive, relatively. Hornets and PEB's are the issues for our Synthetics count.)

As for the big guns, I really don't have much of an opinion on. Like I said earlier, that was the reason I don't have a vote there. I might get an opinion later, might not.

Anyhow, this concludes my sleep-deprived arguments. I apologize if at any point I meandered or started making no sense; I've been distracted recently as well as sleep deprived!

Glory to United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2019, 10:21:56 am »

Wave Motion Gun (Ebbor's Original): (2) Powder Miner,10ebbor10

"Anvil" Heavy-Armament Destroyer: (2) Powder Miner,10ebbor10

Leave 0 dice: (2) Powder Miner, kashyyk

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 01, 2019, 10:58:35 am »

Wave Motion Gun (Ebbor's Original): (2) Powder Miner,10ebbor10
Plasma Inductor Cannon "Solus": (1) TFF

"Anvil" Heavy-Armament Destroyer: (3) Powder Miner,10ebbor10, TFF

Leave 0 dice: (2) Powder Miner, kashyyk, TFF

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 01, 2019, 11:16:52 am »

Wave Motion Gun (Ebbor's Original): (3) Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf

"Anvil" Heavy-Armament Destroyer: (4) Powder Miner,10ebbor10, TFF, Twinwolf

Leave 0 dice: (3) Powder Miner, kashyyk, TFF, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 01, 2019, 02:23:49 pm »

Wave Motion Gun (Ebbor's Original): (4) Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf, Tyrant Leviathan.

"Anvil" Heavy-Armament Destroyer: (5) Powder Miner,10ebbor10, TFF, Twinwolf, Tyrant Leviathan.

Bore Drive 2nd Gen "Skip": (2) Tyrant Leviathan,  Kashyyk

Well there. And I hope something cool gets to be black Market.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 01, 2019, 04:12:56 pm »

Wave Motion Gun (Ebbor's Original): (4) Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf, Tyrant Leviathan.
-Rename it the “Accordioneer” Gravitic Wave Cannon: (1) Powder Miner

"Anvil" Heavy-Armament Destroyer: (5) Powder Miner,10ebbor10, TFF, Twinwolf, Tyrant Leviathan.

Quick vote to name the WMG something that won’t get us accused of being derivative, plus which I think is flavorful (we’re gonna accordion the motherfuckers)

If Accordioneer sounds silly, Concertina and Sevdalinka (look that up) are more indirect ways of getting at the same thing, and I am fond of the latter
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:17:31 pm by Powder Miner »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 01, 2019, 04:24:34 pm »

Black Market idea.

Quote from: Amoeba Dolor Garrula
The fact that the Watchers have classified this item with a Latin name raises plenty of questions. Once we discovered what was in this small canister, we had even more.

The pressurized, temperature controlled interior is home to a colony of single-cell life, swimming in a nutrient rich goop. What makes these creatures different from other such organisms is their response to stimuli. When one side of the canister changes temperature for example, the Amobea nearby change colour. This colour change is then reacted to by other Amoeba which, as a different stimulus, causes a different response. The end result is a rainbow of colour across the container, along with various other changes, such as temperature, local ph level, vibration and even electrical charge.

As the colony grows in size, the stimuli and response get even more complex until it reaches a critical threshold. At this point the colony perpetually responds to itself. At first we thought we'd reached the limits of the amoeba's capabilities, until an intern on the project started playing music to the colony.

After being subjected to the chorus for the third time, it started singing along. It did not sing an imitation of the song, but had instead created its own melody that fit the tune.

Amoeba covers of various songs have already become more popular than nightcore and other remix options, but that's not all we could get from this. The potential for intelligent organic computing has a whole plethora of avenues available.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 01, 2019, 11:03:09 pm »

Well, I guess if you lot aren't going to go for Space Battleship Yamato, then naming it the Wave Motion Gun is no longer needed.

-Rename it the “Accordioneer” Gravitic Wave Cannon: (2) Powder Miner, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 02, 2019, 07:48:40 pm »

So, I've come up with an idea for research that I think could dramatically change our thematics, and help round out our forces and capabilities as well. Plus I think it would be pretty cool.

Black Market Event Design

Human Tech (plant tech):

When we were first sifting through the database of available technologies from the watchers, we thought it would be prudent to check under 'acquired' technologies to see if there was anything we could steal from our rivals. To our surprise, we instead found a listing under our own names.

Human tech: Acquired in year: 14833 BC

Our team were bewildered by this cryptic entry. The flying pyramids from our video archives were largely thought to be false. Could we have been wrong? It seemed unlikely. There was general agreement that pursuing this listing would be riskey, unpredictable, and largely a bad idea.

We picked up the dead drop for "human tech" less than a week later. None of the team knew what to expect. A data cache? A working prototype? A team of alien experts? Whatever we thought, no one expected this.

It was a small station in locked orbit around our star, and inside was nothing but a small garden. All of the plants seemed to be of earth origin. We even recognized a few. Other than the fact that they recovered abnormally fast when cut, they all seemed completely unremarkable. They seemed that way at first anyways.
The breakthrough came when one of the arborists assigned to the station had an accident. While attempting to remove a bit of ivy that had gotten stuck in one of the trimmer robots they managed to slip and, in true gaian fashion, fully impale themselves on the robots trimming blade. Bleeding profusely, they collapsed to the ground and lost consciousness in a matter of minutes. Viewing the security footage, medical teams at first presumed the individual dead. The rate of blood loss was too high. Nothing could have saved our gardener. When they got there however, they found a different story.

The wound was covered in a spongy green mass, with vines trailing out into the flesh. The victim was stable even, and after treatment even managed to regain consciousness. The garden it appeared, was more than it would seem.

Preliminary research with this new discovery was groundbreaking. The ivy stuck in the robots was not spare trimmings, it was fixing the robot, anchoring broken joints, or oozing sap to lubricate hinges. The vegetation was a mutualist, capable of adapting to a host, organic or inorganic, and stabilizing the system. Broken bones are wrapped in ivy and sealed in harwood. Burn scars becomes little fields of clover. Entire missing limbs become tentacles of plant matter. The garden seems to have no limit to it's adaptability. In fact, even the station itself seems to be interwoven with the plants, if not a metallic outgrowth entirely.

Our biologists are left bewildered and a little frightened. While theoretically, something like this could be possible, it shouldn't exist like this. The tradeoff for such adaptability should be enormous. The plants should barely be able to support themselves in optimal conditions. Even then, what we expect from these theories seems to have little basis on how the plants operate. It's genetics and inter cellular systems seem simple. It just works somehow, and no one can understand how. Not all efforts to manipulate it however are in vain. Much to the chagrin of our existing biology team, it's not the doctors and scientists that make progress, but our gardners. The ever mystic "green thumbs" who seem to just be able to coax the plants into doing what they want.

It's only a start, but it's existence, and the proof of concept for it's manipulation has our engineering team salivating. What wonders could be built from such a tech, properly harnessed!? Consider, they beg you, Death Marines growing like rows of potatoes. Bore appatures in literal bloom. Decades old capital ships covered in ivy scars.
Their promises are endless. Fighter wings deployed like a cloud of spores. Self regulating terraforming, that grows into the planet. A photosynthetic pacemaster. This would let us do the impossible, they say, If only we should choose to pursue it.

OOC, It think this would make an amazing aesthetic. A seamless blend of traditional high tech sci-fi and a mystic overgrowth of vegetation. Two opposite sides of the spectrum, brought together.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 12:32:15 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37