Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100283 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I'd just like to point out that the 'expensive' gavpowder for the GA1 only costs us 3 Gavrilium- one more than we have. Removing it entirely will undoubtedly result in an equivalent (if not greater) Oil cost. So whilst I'm in favour of fixing the artillery, I don't think removing the gavpowder makes sense. I propose the following instead:

GA1B Cannon: Fixing barrel warping of the cannon is a vital fix in allowing our artillery to hit it's full potential. By modifying the barrel shape (such as by introducing fluting) and using a slightly tweaked alloy, the heat tolerance and dispersion can be increased. More importantly, the formulation of the Gavpowder is improved by introducing small amounts of certain chemicals, which slow the reaction and reduce heat generation, resulting in an equally powerful, but cooler and more controlled propellant. It may also be possible that the smoother burn results in an increased shell velocity and hence range, though this is not a priority.
Another potential bonus involves other applications of Gavpowder (ie the GGG-12), which may be able to sustain a higher rate of fire as well, though again, this is not a priority.

The idea here being that adding a small amount of chemicals (AKA stuff that falls under the Oil umbrella) to the mix shouldn't increase the cost.

I'm fine with trying for an SMG to complement our rifle, although I'd be equally fine with a shotgun, and can see the potential utility of a shorter-ranged but higher-RoF machine gun.
Quote from: votebox
Designs
SMG-12 (2): Taricus, NUKE9.13
LMG-12 (0):
Oilfire 7 (0):
Guardian I (1): Rockeater

Revisions (Pick Two)
Little G (0):
L2G-12 (3): Taricus, Rockeater, NUKE9.13
GA1A Cannon (2): Taricus, Rockeater
GA1B Cannon (1): NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Designs
SMG-12 (2): Taricus, NUKE9.13
LMG-12 (0):
Oilfire 7 (0):
Guardian I (2): Rockeater, Twinwolf

Revisions (Pick Two)
Little G (0):
L2G-12 (4): Taricus, Rockeater, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
GA1B Cannon (2): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Designs
SMG-12 (3): Taricus, NUKE9.13, Madman
LMG-12 (0):
Oilfire 7 (0):

Revisions (Pick Two)
Little G (0):
GA1B Cannon (3): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman

So wait, is the "L2G-12" meant to be the "LGG-12" that I wrote up, just misspelled?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty sure it is, yeah.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Designs
SMG-12 (3): Taricus, NUKE9.13, Madman
LMG-12 (0):
Oilfire 7 (1): Yami

Revisions (Pick Two)
Little G (1): Yami
GA1B Cannon (3): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nuke I doubt a standard propellant is going to require oil to replace it in cost. That only really affects the G3-12 (Like hell am I typing out 3 gs :P ) due to the gavrilium engine, and that's if we replace the engine on it, rather than removing it entirely. The other parts is that you also keep the same breach and no recoil system on your version, which'll limit any RoF gains.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By far the biggest limiter of RoF is the heating issue. 3-4RPM isn't the worst (although obviously it could be better), so if we can just make it so that fire can be sustained rather than having to pause every 6 shots for the barrel to cool, we'll have an acceptable piece of kit.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, but being able to fire more would before needing to cool down would massively improve the effectiveness of our artillery.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Quote from: A note written on the back of an envelope pinned to the vote box.
Dear esteemed colleagues,

Do not neglect to share your design documents with the rest of the team! When you finalize a design you should leave a carbon copy of your proposal near the voting apparatus even if you don't want to submit a vote for your own design right away. It's only been a couple days since I've come back from my advocacy visit to parliament and there are scads of new designs I need to review, now I have to have my poor secretary hunt for them. I hope you're all very pleased with yourselves!

Cordially,
Dr. Parsely

Designs
SMG-12 (4): Taricus, NUKE9.13, Madman, Parsely
LMG-12 (0):
Oilfire 7 (1): Yami

Revisions (Pick Two)
Little G (1): Yami
LGG-12 (5): Taricus, Rockeater, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Parsely
GA1B Cannon (4): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Madman, Parsely

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That actually looks like almost all of you. Maybe one or two missing, but there's enough of a spread that I think we can lock these votes and we can move onto the next step of figuring things out.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I'm going to throw my hat into the "hero" ring. For reference, here is the only idea I saw proposed before this.

Vitali Volkov is a simple infantryman, from the capital city. He grew up in poverty, but has been interested in technology from a young age, having always been the type to love to know how things work and why, but due to his social status unable to get the education one needs to become a scientist. At the minimum age he could enlist, he joined the army, for three reasons. One: The army provides for it's soldiers, and this meant he wouldn't need to worry about how he would get by on his own. Two: He sends a significant portion of his paycheck to his family at home, supporting them as his parents grow older. Three: The frontlines are the place he's most likely to see the new technology of Salvios at work. He's considered to be his squad's resident nerd, devouring the technical manuals of their equipment like it's the great Salviosi novel, and always being the first they come to when something breaks and they can't be assed to find an actual engineer.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:15:26 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To get on the Hero Bandwagon...

In Salvios' Highlands, the native Usha peoples of the region are renown for being near fearless and excellent warriors. In the times of the Selicate empire, these warriors were hired by the merchant lords to serve as the city's security and defence forces, cementing their reputation as fearless and superb soldiers many times over in their service. In the times of Salvios' independence, the Usha soldiers that once protected Salvios are now the elite of it's army, the merchant lords donating their service to that of the newborn nation.

And from these elite ranks, the so-called 'Lion of Salvios', Sergeant Alexei Raju is counter upon their number, and an exemplar of the ferocity and bravery of the Usha. A powerfully built man in his late twenties, Alexei is likely one of Salvios' most decorated soldiers, even now distinguishing exemplary bravery against the fight against the Selicate agents so intent on sowing discord in our society, having cleared an entire command post of these fastidious rebels single-handedly on one occasion, and leading his squad in a daring raid which allowed our forces to encircle a large group of insurgents in another.

Valorous and determined, Alexei represents the pinnacle of what a Salviosi soldier should strive to be.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. I think of the heroes suggested so far I prefer Alexei Raju, mostly for the name. Emilio Antares is also an alright name. Alex Lovell, however, doesn't sound Russian, Portugese, or Malaysian. I do feel like our hero should have a bit more personality than just "Is stronk", but a problem with Alex and Emilio is that they aren't representative of what makes our country notable, namely wealthy merchants. Alexei's mercenary background makes more sense in that regard.
Maybe give Alexei a quirk or two, to make him more interesting. Like being a perfectionist, or having an interest in technology like Alex.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Hmm. I think of the heroes suggested so far I prefer Alexei Raju, mostly for the name. Emilio Antares is also an alright name. Alex Lovell, however, doesn't sound Russian, Portugese, or Malaysian. I do feel like our hero should have a bit more personality than just "Is stronk", but a problem with Alex and Emilio is that they aren't representative of what makes our country notable, namely wealthy merchants. Alexei's mercenary background makes more sense in that regard.
Maybe give Alexei a quirk or two, to make him more interesting. Like being a perfectionist, or having an interest in technology like Alex.
Generally agreed, especially about the names.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In all honesty I had no idea what kind of name to go with and would be open to changing it.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 88