Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100388 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

A really hot slug with a gavpowder load might work, but the shotgun itself would have to be heavy as shit for the barrel to be able to handle that sort of thing, or really mechanically simple as a tradeoff. An anti-tank rifle is probably better if the goal is explicitly to defeat heavy infantry armor and light vehicles. That's also pretty heavy, but you can just give those to weapon teams (which is what the Soviet Union did, and to great effect), and let regular infantry try to defeat it with grenades without having to burden a regular infantryman with it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:31:48 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, do remember that our "weapons teams" are going to be one guy in a Lifting Suit who is capable of carrying everything a team of several men would normally have to carry.

And slugs are not a good armor-piercing weapon any more than a regular ball bullet is, though slugs do have an even-less-suitable shape for armor-piercing work. Grenades are generally a terrible plan when facing a tank, though if we made a shaped-charge (and/or Gavrillium incendiary) grenade plus grenade-thrower that might give them better odds than the grenade.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A good point.  Annnd, it was a long slow day at work and I expect the week to be very busy.  Putting this here for when we get designing again.

The Devastator.
With the advent of the Mountain Man Lifting suit, and in preparation for our march on Harren, it's high time to work on securing a man portable answer to fortifications and, if worse comes to worse, a viable version of our own 'Errata' Armour.  To that end we've looked not only at our venerable Senapeng, but also at our GA1B's trying to find a middle ground, whilst also drawing inspiration from our new engines, of all things.

The Devastator is a 25mm cannon meant to be used in a direct fire capacity.  A scaled down, reworked version of our GA1Bs with most of the design change revolving around a simple, if elegant system of using pistons and compressed oil to draw out the recoil so as not to break our Soldiers using it.  The main gun would be set on rails and rollers, whilst the end is attached to a piston immersed in oil to use the compression to absorb the recoil, and we are hoping even apply back pressure to rapidly set the gun for reloading and refiring.  If we've time we'll look into a small internal magazine.

The whole ensemble would be housed in a cylinder with two handles meant to be held against the Mountain Suit's waist, the soldier standing parallel to the gun to help absorb recoil.  A firing stud placed on the handle to replace our classic lanyards.  Of course, should we be able to make the gun as accurate as our other weaponry, we are hoping for a slightly slower firing over the shoulder option for better accuracy at longer ranges than the planned city fighting.  Of course we'll also include a simple stand so our normal soldiery can set up emplaced versions, should they desire it.  The original firing design however should allow for our soldiers maintain the edge of cover whilst rotating the barrel out in the open to fire upon whatever strong point we need to clear before rotating back in cover to reload.  I suggest we issue them with handheld mirrors to facilitate aiming from a covered position.

Altogether we're hoping for a weapon with enough force to burst through a fortification, building wall or sheet of armour before exploding, perhaps with a slightly delayed impact fuse.  I envision great things for the Devastator.

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.

P.S. Edited for numbers changing to scale it down a bit in hopes of swinging more votes.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:44:13 pm by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That gun is too big, in fact. I doubt the Lifting Suits could lift it, for one thing. You're proposing a mid-to-late WWII field gun/AT gun/tank gun be turned into a man-portable form, and then you're asking soldiers to hip-fire the thing as well. It won't work.

However, there is more than one way to skin a tank, crack a bunker, or make an infantryman omelette. 37, 40, 47, and 50mm AT guns/field guns (Direct-fire weapons that move with or less than a few hundred yards/meters behind their own infantry, meant to crack tanks, fortifications, entrenchments, and stubborn enemy infantry more accurately and faster than the heavier indirect-firing howitzers) were common into and through the beginning of WWII, and they *worked*, even on most tanks until the advent of later-model Shermans, Tigers, Panthers, and the Soviet IS tanks. Well, 50mm and 47mm guns worked for a while, anyway. We could employ a 37 or 40mm to great effect right now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually I'm suggesting using a 1898 french 75mm cannon design and trying to figure how we could make it man portable.  Besides, worse comes to worse it fails horribly and we revise it until it doesn't.  Feel free to put up something else, I just wanted this already here for a quick addition to the vote box if I didn't have time to add anything in the coming weeks.

But yeah, we could probably drop the size down to 50mm or something.  I really like the hand cannon idea, and think we can upscale from a mere shotgun with our nifty new suits.

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:08:23 pm by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

I figure we should make a normal field gun before developing a man (in power armor) portable one. Just a thought.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My point wasn't that 75mm field guns didn't exist, it's that they weren't as good as 50mm and 37mm field guns until the middle of WWII. Before the middle of WWII, a 50mm field gun would do everything you needed it to, so you don't want to haul around the extra weight of a 75mm. Also, 50mm is pretty much the upper limit for a gun that can be reasonably manhandled around the field by a small crew of soldiers without the use of horses or trucks.

We should, if anything, start by using Gavrillium to develop ultra-high-velocity 40mm field guns for cracking armor and stubborn clusters of infantry, then we can steadily bump up the size as necessary, probably by using revisions to go 40mm -> 50mm -> 75mm, if we even need 75mm with our Gavrillium tricks. If it turns out that a single man in a Lifting Suit can manhandle the 40mm gun around, all for the better, though we still won't want to attempt firing it from any position other than "braced against the ground".

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, after seeing how well decent rolls go.  I'd rather aim for powered portable with field gun as the fallback rather'n the other way around.  Worse comes to worse, we roll poorly and we're revising up anyways.  We roll well though...  Well then, we save a step.

I'll go edit my opening design offer to 50mm though.  Much as we could probably do 40mm, I like the idea of being an exact portion of the GA1B easing the transition.

Like I said though, feel free to plan and plot and counter propose options.  We're not even in the design phase yet.  I'm just antsy and throwing ideas out there.  I really wanted the weight reduction harnesses and the lifting suit turned out to be awesome, so by all means, find a better proposal and put it out there.  Salvios can only benefit.

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:17:30 pm by Yami »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean the thing with man portable field guns regardless is... well, they'd probably need actual power armor instead of just the lifting suit, because they're going to be close enough to the front to be at risk and the Mountain suit is specifically not good in combat situations due to an exposed engine.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On a side note I don't think we're ever going to get anything bigger than a 20mm-25mm cannon for power armour use, all things considered.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IF we stick with exclusively man-sized armor suits I can imagine up to high-velocity 30mm guns being fired as a sort of sniper rifle, at worst being used like a one-man-portable AT rifle that must be braced against the ground before you fire it.

40mm Gavrillium-propellant high-velocity will rip apart tanks unless the enemy jumps straight to something on par with the King Tiger for armor. 50mm is overkill and much, much less portable than 40mm, and "exact portions" don't actually matter when designing guns unless the designer is so ridiculously careless as to try just multiplying all his measurements by 2/3, in which case we've rolled so poorly it doesn't matter anyway. I'll hack out a proposal for my ideal light field gun in a minute, for kicks and giggles.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the idea behind making the cannons man portable is they could be used from a more covered position.  Much like an infantryman with a rifle or an SMG, just, you know, a hand cannon instead.

I was thinking for non powered armour use, straight up lifting suit, since powered armour'll probably we using alot of it's lifting capacity on decent armour. 

Edit:  Awesome!  I'll leave mine where it is then...  Or not.  Checking some cannon weights, you're right.  I'm not sure 50mm's feasible even considering I'm pairing off the extraneous parts like carriage and bullet shield.  I think I'll go 25mm to see if I can swing the Taricus vote down the line.

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:44:49 pm by Yami »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1913 A.C. Hot Season (Design Phase)
« Reply #582 on: August 26, 2018, 07:44:53 pm »

Year 1912 AC (After Colonization) Cold Season, Combat Phase

Salviosi Successes

With our capture of the Plateaus we have found a deposit of Caelium we can begin to exploit immediately. Our military has begun to dig in in the area as well, raising Entrenchment to One (1) in the sector. We have also ceased deployment of the SMG-12, deploying the SMG-12a as a complete replacement.

Utilizing a new Caelium deposit has the following results:

Transport Sled, Armored Sled, and Kerata lose their [complex] tags.
Armored Sled becomes (CHEAP).
Kerata becomes (EXPENSIVE).

The SMG-12 has been deemed (OBSOLETE).

Desert Winters

The temperature difference between night and day becomes more dramatic during the Cold Season. While temperature during the day has dropped only slightly, nighttime temperatures can easily get below freezing. The ocean winds compound the situation, often kicking up sandstorms in their wake. Our men use what little cover they have to protect themselves from the harsh environment.

Plateau Frost

The Plateaus maintain a fairly steady temperature during the Cold Season, though the winds on top of the Plateaus can get pretty harsh. Snow manages to fall fairly regularly here in amounts that wouldn't be a problem if the terrain wasn't so difficult to navigate.

Badlands Brawl

Our push forward began in the Badlands, though thanks to the Ceramah our forces were effectively organized across all fronts. The Badlands are largely flat, dry, and barren but with areas of rocky crags reaching up from uneven earth and narrow ravines biting into it. A light snow falls on occasion, but rarely comes to more than a dusting. There are few regularly maintained roads headed through the wastes, and those that do see use are in poor condition. Our military was forced to pave their own paths (metaphorically, for the most part) as they searched for a Selicate presence. Scouts were able to eventually locate the Selicate positions, but had themselves been spotted. The Selicate force included a Forward Operating Base, a position with a few pieces of artillery, and a Command & Control center.

The Selicates deployed forces forward of their positions in an effort to halt the Salviosi advance. They were dug into a high ridgeline overlooking a wide area, but the ravines and rolling rocky terrain provided cover for the Salviosi soldiers moving forward in a convoy of Keratas and the supporting Armored Sleds and footmobile infantry. The Salviosi forces were attempting to move to a position where they came under fire from marksmen who had taken various elevated positions. SSgt. Antero Sahay's Kerata took a few hits but nothing managed to penetrate. That didn't mean he enjoyed the experience. The bouncing of the Kerata and lack of proper trigger discipline in one of Sahay's men led to an accidental weapon discharge that nearly blew a hole in his chin. The Armored Sleds advancing in the column began to belch rounds to suppress the offending marksmen in the distance, and to good effect even though there was barely more than a muzzle flash visible to the gunners. The high ground, however, gave the Selicate snipers the ability to fire over the cover of the Armored Sleds and began to tear heavily into the slow-moving column. Eventually the convoy moved into a ravine that provided cover and the Keratas and the soldiers transported in Armored Sleds that managed to avoid being shot dismounted their vehicles.

While more scouts were sent to get a lay of the land and idea of enemy composition a series of low booms echoed throughout the valleys and ravines, and continued until the ground above and around the halted column began to explode. The Selicate artillery, though few in number, was perfectly capable of saturating the area with deafening and deadly blasts. A shell wound up falling perfectly down into the ravine and catastrophically destroyed a pair of closely parked Keratas and the men using it as cover, which included the field officer in charge of the column. This shelling was the first truly experienced by the Salviosi forces so far and had a profound effect on morale and the ability for the men in charge to take command, which is why Sahay took charge and began to organize the attack. Counter-battery support was called in and, while another shell had struck the ravine wall and knocked rubble onto an Armored Sled, killing everyone inside, the thunderous booms of a larger number of GA1s and GA1bs began raining hell down on both the Selicate artillery as well as their ridgeline positions. Soon the rounds stopped falling on the Salviosi though the echo of explosions continued in the distance. The Armored Sleds and a few Keratas were manned and moved forward with orders to push the small road up to the forces on the Selicate ridgeline while the bulk of the infantry was to launch a direct assault once they came out of the ravine. A small force was to move around the enemy line and begin assaulting whatever remained of the artillery position and link back up with the main force to assault the Selicate Sector HQ.

Though dangerous, SSgt. Sahay stood in one of the leading Armored Sleds so he could observe the battle. He liked this ride much more than the Kerata - much smoother, and the breeze was nice. This one even had an LGG-12 to defend itself with. Once Sahay was able to see the ridge the Selicates had been on he was able to fully understand the power of Salviosi artillery. The ridge and surrounding Badlands was pock-marked and covered in freshly exposed earth. Two final shells fell while Sahay watched through binoculars "borrowed" from a scout, each flinging dirt and rock in all directions to devastating effect. It took a few moments for whoever remained on the ridge to compose themselves enough to open fire on the approaching Salviosi. The column needed to endure fire from the high ground as the road they took ran across the steep slope hat led to the ridge before making a tight turn and heading upslope at a harsher angle. While men were being killed in Armored Sleds and rounds had begun to occasionally penetrate Keratas, the deafening and sheer volume of fire from the weapons mounted on the Armored Sleds heavily impaired the Selicate's combat effectiveness and drew fire away from the infantry pushing forward. As the Armored Sleds advanced upslope their armored sides were able to provide the cover they were designed for, though the lower legs of the men propelling them were now easier to hit, at least relative to how they were earlier.

As the vehicle column approached the crest of the ridge and the Selicate positions the men inside the Keratas began to open fire, most utilizing the rapid-fire ability provided by the SMG-12a. But the inside of a Kerata at this range was hell. Sahay watched, though he couldn't see within, as a Selicate position lit up an assaulting Kerata. Bullets tore through the sides like tissue paper, and the men inside cut down in a bloody mess. [For visual reference, imagine the initial D-Day landing craft as they dropped their ramps]

The Keratas were generally abandoned as they provided nothing more than a coffin at closer ranges. The Armored Sleds however just relied on the men pushing them not falling into a crater or hole - a task made a little more difficult by the intense shelling the ridge received. Sahay's Armored Sled pushed forward and entered the thick of the battle. The Armored Sleds, now within comfortable range of their enemies, began to set up and devastate the Selicates in the area around them. While a round occasionally found it's target as he peeked over cover or a lucky grenade fell onto the platform, the Armored Sleds provided, as odd as it seems, a defensive offensive position, allowing the footsoldiers to advance, which allowed the Armored Sleds to leapfrog forward and set up again to continue the cycle, steadily forcing the Selicates back relentlessly until they were pushed from their positions in a full retreat.

Unfortunately for the retreating Selicates the Badlands past the ridge and towards their HQ was a vast swathe of flat, dry, cracked land. Not to mention the fact that the second force, finding nothing but corpses, craters, and twisted metal at the artillery position, moved on and were already besieging the Headquarters.

Once the main force linked up with them the men were ordered to hold positions and keep the Headquarters under consistent fire while the Armored Sleds breached their defensive line of sandbags and dirt mounds. The men aboard the platforms, including the gunners, had orders to keep their heads down and hold fire until they were in position. Antero Sahay checked his SMG-12a in triplicate as his Armored Sled approached. Enemy gunfire and shrapnel from hand grenades bounced off the armor plating for the most part, though one close blast launched shrapnel under the skirt and downed one of the men pushing Sahay's Armored Sled.

Almost as one the Armored Sleds began opening fire on the close-range enemy positions. While grenades were finding themselves falling onto the firing platforms with frequency, casualties were not as bad as they could have been with the men able to climb out and over the sides. While the fall could hurt and exposed the men to enemy fire, it was better than being on the receiving end of a hand grenade.

Sahay popped over his cover and saw their Armored Sled was positioned past the enemy's first line and began opening fire on the men with a significant lack of cover from his direction. He noted that a sweep from the SMG-12a was much, much more effective than the original, though part of him missed being able to pour a whole clip out in a ridiculously short time-span. The rest of his men and the LGG gunner all opened fire as well. Nearby exposed Selicates were cut down or scattered, while the few buildings constructed in the HQ had walls too thin to keep the occasional round from penetrating, especially once the volume of fire had begun to shred and splinter the wood. Eventually pockets of the Selicates began to surrender, as those who fled did so into the unkind wastes of the Badlands (and the iron sights of many a Senapang.

While Sahay rummaged through an office in the Headquarters he came across a folder with some disturbing information:

The Harren Fortress-City was currently collapsing upon itself, metaphorically, as both Selicate and Endicarian forces (Endicar being Abbera's parent state) used the river to bring supplies and men to the city to reinforce those within it's walls that were willing to fight for their respective sides.

------------

Rolling Hills Rebellion

If the Lowlands provide a splash of green amid a sea of brown and beige, the Rolling Hills provide a surge. Grass covers the land and the occasional tree juts out over the hills. In the dry Cold Season the grasses begin to die, but the rains during the Hot Season provide for the life there enough to keep it from becoming an extension of the Badlands. The occasional river running off from the Volcanic Range flows through the hills before trickling and dying out in the Badlands.

The hills, being quite literal greener pastures relative to what most Salviosi are familiar with, held a number of small towns and villages that the Selicates had persuaded to fight against the "invading" Salviosi in return for their own identity as a small independent (puppet) state. In truth this was likely a delay tactic given the intel discovered in the Badlands, but had to be dealt with none-the-less. The villagers, being a militia and not a professional military, had waited until the Salviosi were approaching before putting up resistance. This gave the Salviosi the ability to set up as they pleased, encircling the defenders using Armored Sleds and Keratas (which were thankfully a little more resistant to the poor quality of weapons given to the rebels). While the defenders began their fighting in earnest, they were clearly out-classed, out-manned, and out-maneuvered, and so must wound up surrendering with a relatively small amount of bloodshed. This outcome pleased the Merchant Lords, as these lands provided a large portion of the food Salvios didn't import, and loss of land and the men to maintain them would have been as crippling as a successful revolt.

------------

Violence in the Volcanic Range

The Volcanic Range is considered the womb of Harren Island, and some scientists believe that some crackpot theory called "continental drift" in conjunction with the volcanic vents beneath Harren is responsible for the formation of Iava and Bryor as well (Link to Map for Reference). The mountains are sprinkled with lovely hot springs and deadly gas vents, and the range itself is practically impassable on anything other than foot. Magma flows freely from a number of vents, and two massive volcanic mountains reach up above the rest, active but currently at rest. The mountains are also lousy with a massive system of caves. The Cold Season sees snowfall across the range which increases with altitude. The area is prone to avalanches thanks to the buildup of snow and the steep mountain faces and cliffs. The winds lash painfully at higher altitudes, and men who aren't completely covered can easily see loss of limb, and life in extreme cases.

A single encampment of Selicates rested on the face of one of the active volcanoes, defended only by a light contingent of infantry. They didn't need many more however, as the narrow passes and steep cliffs increased their defensive efficacy exponentially. They were, however, unfamiliar with the region, and a handful of Salviosi soldiers had grown up in these mountains. As a result they knew which caves had exits elsewhere, and which ones would lead the Salviosi to the encampment without resistance. These soldiers led squads through the tight, very hot cave systems and into positions overlooking the Selicates without their knowledge.

A single group of men would have been enough to put down the encampment from any of their positions, but the combined assault from above, behind, and all around from a number of caves they originally thought led nowhere but now held dozens of enemies had overwhelmed them. Unlike the forces in the Badlands though the Selicates here refused to surrender, instead being cut down to the man by a pair of LGG-12s brought through the caves as well as the small arms from the infantry. The Salviosi managed to take the position without a fatality among them thanks to their familiarity of their homeland.

------------

With no shortage of skilled engineers and soldiers we have managed to take control back over the middle swathe of land on our half of the island. While some of the flaws of our recent advancements have been made apparent, we still have time to fix them before we push the Fortress-City and into Abberan territory. To aid in our future endeavors we now seek to utilize a fairly new advancement out of Königschön: the aeroplane. While some of us don't see a future in warfare using these machines, perhaps you can prove us wrong. So for the Design Phase we will give you two designs: we request one design be an aircraft while the other is to be a large emplaced weapon. The construction of our first aircraft should give us the ability to check on our opponents and get an idea of their forces and plans, granting one Espionage Credit with Special Rules that will be covered in the Revision Phase if you decide to construct such a vehicle. The creation of a large emplacement  meant to be added to our fortifications will grant you one extra Revision in the Revision Phase. The emplacement designed this turn will also be subject to special rules: cost will only be calculated by the variety of resources used (1-2 for Cheap, +1 for each level after that) and will be deployed in any sector with an Entrenchment of 1 or more.

The fact that there is fighting in the Harren Fortress-City already is mildly disconcerting, but we have more important tasks at hand: namely the capture of the Savannah and South Peaks in preparation for our securing of the crossing, then eventual push into the Fortress-City itself.

As for rumors this season, the Abberans have apparently created some sort of boat or an ark, as well as new harvesting equipment for their expanded pastures.

IT IS NOW THE DESIGN PHASE.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special Rules (click to show/hide)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, you can't use it from a more covered position. The muzzle blast is not healthy for any friendlies near you, and sticking the muzzle out of a building far enough to fire the thing without killing yourself and/or all your allies is going to draw a lot of fire.

Carrying that gun means that our hypothetical soldier is going to be stumbling across the battlefield dragging a ten-foot pole made of steel (if he can even lift the thing), plus he is carrying enough rounds to be useful (at least 20, and even then he's borderline-useless), and now you've made him a priority target and told him to use cover, and if "cover" means "buildings" he's going to cause a lot of traffic jams at doorways.

A 40mm true field gun would have a gun shield, so it brings its own cover, has wheels so a couple of infantry (or one lifting suit guy) can move the thing, has a wheeled box full of ammo that a couple other guys (or another lifting suit) can drag, it also weighs less than the 50mm or 75mm options and can be made *extremely* low-profile, hiding in bushes and such while our Gavrillium gunpowder allows for higher than usual muzzle velocities. Heck, we could even motorize the stupid thing with a simple tricycle wheel arrangement that has two wheels by the barrel (think standard artillery gun) plus a removable third wheel at the back (can be made EXTREMELY simple and quick to remove/replace) plus a Gavrillium motor, helping firerate (cools the barrel so it doesn't melt) and mobility.

Oh hey, I said I was going to write it up anyway, didn't I?

LFG-13 Light Field Gun (non-motorized)
The LFG-13 is a direct-fire, 40mm artillery piece. It is built to lie extremely close to the ground, with a small gun shield covering two crewmen sitting or crouching next to the gun. It has a long barrel for its size, giving time for its Gavrillium gunpowder to propel solid shot, Gavrillium incendiary, or HE rounds to very high velocities. The barrel alloy is based on the GA1b's, as is the Gavrillium gunpowder, to allow for high rates of fire without melting the gun. Due to the high range granted by Gavrillium, extra time has been spent perfecting the rifling and sights to produce unparalleled accuracy. Two wheels allow for the gun to be dragged by the tail, while the wheeled Boxes o' Ammo allows plenty of rounds to be dragged with the gun without aid of machinery or animals. A four-man crew can move the gun plus its two boxes of ammunition rapidly, and be set up to fire the weapon in seconds.

LFG-13 Light Field Gun (motorized)
The LFG-13 is a direct-fire, 40mm artillery piece. It is built to lie extremely close to the ground, with a small gun shield covering two crewmen sitting or crouching next to the gun. It has a long barrel for its size, giving time for its Gavrillium gunpowder to propel solid shot, Gavrillium incendiary, or HE rounds to very high velocities. Due to the high range granted by Gavrillium, extra time has been spent perfecting the rifling and sights to produce unparalleled accuracy. A unique system motorizes the gun: a Gavrillium motor and third wheel is integrated into the gun's tail, while the gunner sits in a simple seat attached to the side of the gun's carriage. The back section of the gun's tail is hinged, and when it is hinged up the gun is free to move, driven by the gunner, while the wheeled Boxes o' Ammo allows plenty of rounds to be dragged with the gun without aid of machinery or animals. A four-man crew can move the gun plus its two boxes of ammunition rapidly, and be set up to fire the weapon in less than a minute. When stationary, the Gavrillium motor pumps a small amount of water between its rods and a small set of radiator fins on the barrel. This helps keep the barrel cool despite the use of Gavrillium gunpowder.

GSA-13 Gravite Scouting Aircraft
Some of our scientists were experimenting with Caelium augmentations to Gavrillium engines, and discovered something strange. They didn't quite manage to make a better engine, as their only prototype for the "better engine" concept was smashed into the ceiling. Like good Salviosi engineers, however, they tested the new phenomenon until realizing that a properly heat-treated sample of Caelium (called Gravite because it's cooler that way) can be placed in the middle of a set of Gavrillium rods rotating around a common center, and will then produce a force relative to the strength of gravity---regardless of its altitude (unlike Caelium). This force always goes in the same direction relative to the piece, so a piece of Gravite held upside down inside the rotating rods will provide a downwards force, and a lifting engine turned slightly to the side will provide a force that both lifts the engine and moves it sideways.

This new system can, when combined with a regular Gavrillium engine (plus heater) to spin the rods and run a propeller, be used to lift and move a simple aircraft.  The fuselage is made of a wood-and-cloth construction braced with metal where necessary, as are the stubby wings which are basically only present to give the pilot flaps and ailerons to control the plane's roll. The GSA-13 is a two-seater monoplane-style aircraft with the engine and propeller in front, with the pilot sitting forwards and an observer sitting in the rear. The lifting engine has its own small Gavrillium engine and heater behind the observer, carefully placed so that the lifting engine is roughly located at the center of mass. Overall, the system allows the aircraft to gently float up into the air without any visible means of propulsion...until the pilot engages the propeller and starts moving forwards. The observer operates a Ceramah broadcast-only radio, allowing him to direct fire from artillery batteries, report to his commander, and communicate with friendly units on the ground, all from the safety and comfort of his seat. Well, "safety" and "comfort", anyway. The test pilots complain a lot about how much their eyeballs freeze in colder climates and higher speeds.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:37:27 am by Madman198237 »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well then, our things will have to wait, then. My attempt at an emplacement (Name subject to change. And most things really, I'm not entirely sure the scale of thing we're supposed to design for that slot)

GA2 "Aegis" Cannon Emplacement

The GA2 is what you get when you take a GA1B, and scale it up. At around 200mm and an appropriate increase in weight, the GA2 is meant to be brought to it's deployment zone by train, placed in a defensive position and then stay there indefinitely to help in the defense of the area. The GA2 is attended by several soldiers in Mountain suits, which are needed to load the giant shells fired by the giant cannon as well as assist in aiming it. Further developments of our technology are hoped to be able to extend the effective range of the emplacement, and with the explosives it fires just about anything in it's blast radius will be nothing but a scorch mark.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:37:42 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 88