Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Experimental Game Thing: APPLICATIONS OPEN!  (Read 1453 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Experimental Game Thing: APPLICATIONS OPEN!
« on: June 03, 2019, 07:23:27 pm »

Today I have decided to do a little experiment. I'm going to take the framework for one of my typical games... And run it for just a single person! I noticed that I have been dropping a lot of my own games recently and I want to investigate what the cause of this might be; if a game only has one active player, then would it suffer from the same issues?

This will be sort of like a suggestion game, but if you get accepted then nobody else can make your character do stupid things. Your character would be 100% your own!

If you want to play, character for yourself as well as what your character's goals should be. You can be as detailed or as simplistic as you like, but as I am only going to accept one player for this experiment I would recommend you make your application a high quality one as I will be picking the application I like the most. You don't need to worry too much about your character fitting a specific world; the game world will be designed with your character in mind.

Applications are currently OPEN
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:14:53 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Muushi
Description: A small cream colored mushroom man. He stand about 5 inches tall. His cap is purple. His eyes are black.

Goals/Plot: Muushi has just awoken on a strange mystical cave full of magical creatures and strange lights. He has an innate ability to bring small(ish) things to life to overcome obstacles and puzzles. He is on a guest of self discovery. What brought him to life? Where does his power come from? What lurks in this strange otherworldly landscape? These are all question he seeks the answers for, without any knowledge of the world, culture, or himself.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Ptw

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Going to bump this up in the hopes of getting more applications)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Game 1 Turn 0

Your name is Muushi. You are a mushroom man, and you have the power to bring things to life.

And that is just about the extent of your understanding of your current situation. You are in a dark place, faintly lit by small spheres of colored lights that move about the area with a sense of near-purpose. You appear to be in some manner of cave. There is a massive door in one direction, and a tunnel that stretches further than you can currently see in the opposite direction. In a bit of a daze from having just woken up, you fail to detect any of the finer details of your immediate surroundings if there are any.

What will you do?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Game Thing: GAME 1: Chronicles of Muushi
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:37:47 pm »

Mushi, awestruck by the size of the world and lights drifting around him, looks to the door. It's scale is astounding. He examines the door.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 01:04:06 pm »

Game 1 Turn 1

Muushi takes a closer look of the door.

It is made of some kind of dark wood, and covered with some faintly glowing violet lines that form some kind of geometric pattern. There is a handle on the door about 40 inches above ground level and a keyhole slightly above that. There door is closed, and there is no immediately obvious alternative route in its direction. You can hear a faint rustling noise on the other side.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 12:31:13 pm »

Mushi examines the surrounding area. Perhaps he can create something to help him climb all the way up there.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 07:41:52 pm »

Game 1 Turn 2

Mushi examines the surrounding area.

There are rocks of various sizes in the immediate vicinity; within the cave it seems unlikely that you would run out of rocks if you needed rocks for some reason. There are also the dancing colored light things that enable you to see, they seem to be about half an inch in diameter and have a wide assortment of color variation.

Closer examination reveals patches of a dark green colored moss on the walls, and a metallic metal object that you identify as a lantern on the ground. It looks as though it hasn't seen use in quite some time. You also hear the faint sound of dripping water in the distance.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 09:21:40 pm »

Muushi takes the moss and rocks, building them into a caterpillar with the lantern and a floating light for it's head. He then has the caterpillar take him up to the keyhole.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 10:23:05 pm »

Game 1 Turn 3

Muushi decides to use the resources immediately available to him in order to assemble a caterpillar. First he starts to move some rocks towards the lantern and the first potential problem arises. Rocks are heavy. Muushi is able to move some of the smaller rocks, but rocks of this size would leave the caterpillar with a disproportionately large lantern-head. This problem could be resolved by making a sufficiently large pile of small rocks that he can move but he would need to invest a significant amount of time should he choose to do this.

There is enough moss close to ground level that Muushi is able to reach and scrape off the wall with his hands. The moss leaves a dark green stain on his hands upon doing so. The moss could perhaps be used as a particularly weak adhesive or for decorative purposes if Muushi so chose.

Muushi attempts to pluck one of the floating lights from the air as a bright red one floats near the ground. As he does so, the light quickly moves away from him into the air. It seems as though these little lights are alive or something?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 10:05:07 am »

(Didn't realize it was a full sized lantern, not a Muushi sized lantern, my bad)

Muushi looked up at the door, his little face full of bewilderment, then resolve. He would leave for now, but one day return to this door when he understood more of this world. Muushi sets off to explore down the tunnel.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »

Muushi decides against spending upwards of an hour to create a proper caterpillar thing or whatever and goes to explore the tunnel.

Along the walls, ceiling and occasionally floor, there are some odd crystal formations jutting out. The floating lights flit about doing whatever it is that floating lights do. Muushi comes across an intersection with two ways to go, either straight forward or to the left.

Worthy of note is the presence of a large skeleton slumped against the far wall of the cave...

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Game Thing: APPLICATIONS OPEN!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 09:14:44 pm »

Roboson has been expressing some disinterest in the game, and as such applications are now open again. If Roboson has the inclination to post, its not too late for him to continue, though he sent me a pm without actually posting an action so I'm pessimistic about that.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Game Thing: APPLICATIONS OPEN!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 09:26:10 pm »

That... Did not last long at all, did it?

Remember her, by the way?

Spoiler: Elysia (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2